[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been depressed since I was 14 years old. I am 21 now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: man-thinking.jpg (2MB, 3508x2339px) Image search: [Google]
man-thinking.jpg
2MB, 3508x2339px
I've been depressed since I was 14 years old. I am 21 now and still think about suicide daily, it is only recently that I have told this to my parents and they have booked me and appointment with my GP.

I wanted to know how to get the best out of this appointment. Shall I tell him that I think about suicide everyday? I am really worried that they will not take it seriously because I am perfectly willing to make myself feel better. I work and play as much as anyone, but nothing works. Am I gonna be pilled up for the rest of my life?
>>
>>16759950
pls respond
>>
What do you expect from the GP? A referral to therapy? Drugs? Focus on what you need to heal rather than worrying about not being taken seriously. If GP's an ass, go to another one.
>>
That's really awesome that you reached out and told your parents whats going on with how you've been feeling for so long. I hope you feel good about that cause it can be a hard thing to do.
You might not be given any medication at all, they may give you tools and resources and exercises to do instead. There is a possibility you will be medicated but no one can make you take anything you don't want to honey, you're 21 and you will probably find you have a lot of say.
To get the most out of it I'd suggest just being completely honest and as open as you can. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or stress too much about the first appointment cause it will be mostly background and family history questions. To make things easier write down everything you want to say in advance in bullet points and bring it with you and check it when you forget what you were going to say, they are used to this and won't mind.
Lastly, even if you are medicated the exercises and tools and stuff are important and often need to be put into practice for things like anti depressants to have a higher effect so have an honest go of all of them and write down any problems or questions you have about them so they can be resolved and put to better practice next session.
Take your time, know that it doesn't matter if you don't mesh with the person that it's not weird to see a few before you find the doctor that's right for working with you
Good luck honey
>>
>>16760014
Thank you for this. I'm going to write a list now.
>>
>>16760021
You are so welcome. I have a feeling you will be ok because I can tell you really want this. You have taken the first step and shown a lot of strength even though it may not feel that way while you have felt so depressed for so long. No matter what you're feeling right now you are worth every step and you deserve to feel good.
>>
Being depressed for 7 years is a long time. Thinking of suicide daily is draining. Maybe it's time to try something new.

Psychotherapy is a good first option if you're reluctant to take medication. Talk to your GP about types of psychotherapy available.
>>
Get your GP to refer you to a psychiatrist. Antidepressants really do help.

Also see a therapist. Cognitive behavioral therapy and dialectic behavioral therapy are both solid ways to treat depression, and the illness is best treated by therapy in tandem with antidepressants (SSRIs are usually the first-tier treatment).

Links on finding a mental health provider, finding a therapist, dealing with suicidal thoughts and a list of suicide hotlines by country incoming (I'm still in bed and the relevant books are on my iPod.). Thanks for the motivation, I guess, lol.

>I keep a suicide hotline in my phone contacts, just in case I ever need it.

Oh yeah, also, most depressives are not on antidepressants forever. And if you are, they're really not very bad, side-effect wise, at all. I'd take it in an instant over being depressed, or over antipsychotics. (I have treatment-resistant depression and have been on 14 medications for it, including SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, NDRIs, and off-label meds like Abilify and Concerta.). Effexor got me through high school.
>>
>>16760070
Link time.

Finding a mental health provider: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/mental-health-providers/art-20045530
Finding a therapist: http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/how-to-find-therapist
Dealing with suicidal thoughts: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/suicide-prevention/suicide-help-dealing-with-your-suicidal-thoughts-and-feelings.htm
Suicide hotlines by country: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html
>>
>>16760093
Thank you tripfriend.
>>
Hey OP, different depressed fag here, like the other have said you have taken the first step to working on those thoughts. I had been depressed since around 12 or so, and didn't get looked at until I was 24, when I became a homebody after military service.
If you get medications, take them, at some point you may even feel "hey, I'm okay, I don't need them" or other shit may get in the way (for me I was dropped from a health plan) how ever you can, take those things. Take them until you are told by a professional to stop. Also make sure to work with the docs as much as you can, stay informed while keeping them informed and remain active in your health.
It won't be easy, it has been for me. At times I slip back into insomnia or the thoughts creep up. The best you do is remember those thoughts aren't you, they don't define you as person.

Best of luck anon.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.