[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>do software engineering for work >"anon, we need

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: are you aware youre a cat.jpg (76KB, 780x870px) Image search: [Google]
are you aware youre a cat.jpg
76KB, 780x870px
>do software engineering for work
>"anon, we need this thing done this instant, it's critical"
>"uh sure I can do something very fast but it might not be stable long-term"
>"that's fine, we just need it RIGHT NOW, it doesn't have to be perfect"
>10 minutes later
>"anon, why is (this thing) not working perfectly? It worked a long time ago, when this was a completely different thing!"

this happens all the time at work, what do I do?
>>
>>16678438
Suck it up.
>>
>>16678438
Ah the age old "Do you want it done right or done by Wednesday?" problem. There is no answer, anon. You simply have bad management. Welcome to engineering.
>>
>>16678454
this.

It's what you're paid for.
>>
>>16678458
Unfortunately, management would look at that question and say "both" without the slightest shred of consideration or remorse.
>>
>>16678483
Ergo the bad management. Good management knows how much time it takes to produce quality tech. From your post it seems like they don't even understand basic development practices and only care about making promises to the client.
>>
>>16678438
Refer them back to the memo you wrote stating that if your code is to be used on a regular basis instead of just to meet the immediate emergency condition, it (and whatever process/need that it is being used to fulfill) should be reviewed.to make sure it's suitable for long term use.

You didn't write that memo? You dumb bastard.
>>
>>16678438
First step, clearly define the objectives.
>WE NEED THIS RIGHT NOW
>OK, what does it absolutely need to do
>How long does it need to do it for?
Then broadcast that shit everywhere.
>Email header: New 2-week only software attached
>Verbally to coworkers: This does X,y,Z for TWO WEEKS. After two weeks, no promises.
>On the software somewhere: EXPIRES IN TWO WEEKS

You see? These isn't literal advice; it's more metaphorical advice that you should adapt to your specific situation.
>>
>>16678618
the problem is it's usually _immediately_ after
Like "I can't create a thing on this website and it's blocking me from doing things, I need it done immediately".
So I go in and fix it as fast as possible. Then he will say "but now the form looks kinda funny :\ this button is misaligned, this placeholder is worded strangely"
>>
>>16678438

Get a new job?

Preferably one that values product management, change control, and software changes following a proper SDLC before being propagated into production.
>>
File: 6T9r3.jpg (111KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
6T9r3.jpg
111KB, 720x540px
Sounds like you're shit at managing people and their expectations, which is a good 50% of most IT roles and definitely engineering roles.

>>16678618
Best advice in the thread. Learn to say no. If you're unwilling or unable to say no, learn to manage and refine expectations and most importantly ALWAYS have spec to fall back on. If you don't create basic spec for small things you're essentially giving away a large amount of your time per week on nothing.

In short, stop being a dumbass and take yourself and your time more seriously.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.