[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw degrees are useless >tfw cant get any job >tfw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 11

File: cross.jpg (168KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
cross.jpg
168KB, 375x500px
>tfw degrees are useless
>tfw cant get any job
>tfw im so fucked
its not fair man
>>
>>16661001
what do i do guys
>>
>>16661068
Temp.
>>
File: 1422881752899.jpg (834KB, 1214x1239px) Image search: [Google]
1422881752899.jpg
834KB, 1214x1239px
>>16661001
>tfw (you) didn't do internships or network with anyone who had job prospects
>>
>>16661001
>falling for the 'just go to college and you'll get a good job' meme
You deserve this.
>>
>>16661159
This. If you know Microsoft office and don't sperg too much you can get a job making $12/hr. Job hop every 2-3 years and you can make good money.

Otherwise construction. If you can show up on time sober you will have work. Less bullshit than food service or retail.
>>
>>16661179

This

Like with all things in life, you only get out of college what you put into it. If all you walked away with was a piece of paper then you dun goofed.
>>
>>16661216
I need more than $12 an hour and I'm not qualified for those jobs and overqualified for others
>>
>>16661179
top kek, 100% this.

Lazy shitheads think they can just jump through 6 semesters worth of hoops and land on a job. Way to fuck up the whole thing.
>>
>>16661001

How old are you? What have you been doing while unemployed?
>>
>>16661278
I'm 24, nothing.
>>
>not joining a skilled trade at 18

It's like living life on easy mode
>>
>>16661001
Oh my god, Motoko be my wife.
>>
A CS major can work fucking anywhere. Should've done engineering or CS.
>>
>>16661842
Depends on the country, but generally speaking, yeah.

Doing something which society needs or is looking for is a sure way of getting a job.
>>
>>16661001
What is your degree in?
>>
>>16661812
This

OP you're fucking up by not choosing a trade

Look into electrician, plumber, or HVAC. Job growth out the ass and you can easily make over $50k a year.
>>
File: electrician_bls.jpg (48KB, 526x204px) Image search: [Google]
electrician_bls.jpg
48KB, 526x204px
>>16661938
electrician here

can confirm that our lives are easymode
>>
>>16661938
I don't want a trade
I'm already in too far anyway
>>
I have a question.

If I'm a college student, is it possible for me to enroll in an online Electrician school on the side and get a degree within, say, 2 years? Then after graduating I could consider an apprenticeship as a fallback if I'm unable to get a job with my degree?

Is this reasonable?
I've been looking for something, anything, that I can do during my last year of university that will help me get a fallback job down the line in case after I graduate.

If not, are there any certifications that are relatively simple and which a college student can get on the side that you recommend?
>>
>>16661963
Then fuck off, the world isn't going to hand you anything.

There are plenty of people who go to college then go straight into trade apprenticeships when they find out how useful their degrees are.
>>
>>16661222

Not OP but in my defense, it's pretty hard to "get involved" with anything when you need to pass 19 credits a semester.
>>
>>16661980
Penn-Foster has an online electrician diploma program for only like $700.

Not sure how good it is but you could probably look up reviews.
>>
>>16661982
What's your problem?
>>
>>16661258
Overqualified? You aren't overqualified for shit.

What job experience do you have? Anything? Here's the deal OP, you took 4 years off from your career to go to school. Having a degree will help you in the long run, but for right now you're just another cookie cutter college student.

Get your head out of your ass and get something just to get by.

If you're frugal, and hardworking, your $12/hr will pay for what you need (even rent if you have a roommate), and eventually you'll get a raise, or at least something with substance to put on a resume.
>>
>>16661989
I actually stumbled across that just now. Is this the kind of thing a college student can do on the side?
>>
>>16661995
But I am. 12$ will not cut it.
>>
>>16662000
well then I guess you're just fucked huh?

Time to give up on your career.

If you can't get a job that pays more than $12/hr, then you aren't better or overqualified for a job that pays $12/hr. So you might as well just be unemployed until someone realizes how much of a special snowflake you are.
>>
>>16662009
What's your number problem? I can't find any work in my field and I'm not sure if there's even anything else that would take me
>>
File: mike_rowe.jpg (39KB, 300x547px) Image search: [Google]
mike_rowe.jpg
39KB, 300x547px
Read this and learn it gud OP
>>
>>16662030
I don't ....
>>
Not OP, but here I am, doing a History grade at college knowing that I won't get hired after finishing it until I achieve a government job as a HS teacher, something which is hard as fuck in my country as the my career's market's saturated with graduates.
I want to kill myself.
>>
>>16661216
I know microsoft office. Im also about to finish my associates transfer for engineering this term (it only took me 2 terms to finish it thanks to high school). I've been working nothing but fast food. Where should I start looking for a job?
>>
>>16662030
Spoken like a true keck.
>>
>>16662030
Offing myself sounds better than that. At least I die before losing my soul.
>>
>>16662030
>uwot
Working 90% of my time unhappy would make my life miserable
>>
Everyone here 'tqrded
>>
>>16662009
I think OP means that jobs are turning him down saying "you're over qualified". They don't wana hire a guy who might leave anytime for better job in his expertise.

Not saying he/she/it can't get a 12/hour + job but just that people don't usually say they're overqualified meaning "think I'm too good" way.
>>
Op is fag
>>
>Get job offer to be semiconductor chip welder or some shit.
>Only have HSD.
>17/hr
>Agency
>Get a phone call two months later.
>Already have a PT.

I was just playing guys...
>>
>>16662921
How'd you get the offer? Way I see it, you probably either knew someone or just happened to live in a family that could show you that stuff.
>>
>>16662921
Spoiled brat
>>
Spoiled
>>
Be me, cs and math major. Everyone else is complaining about how shit their degrees are. Be me also playing bassoon for university on the side.

No one seems to pick degrees or classes out of interest. The are just going through the motions. Sometimes degrees payout with more than money. It's a time to enrich yourself.

It always pisses me off when people make fun of music majors. At least they aren't too scared to do what they love.

You want a job from your degree? Have some dedication and persistence. It sounds like you gave up long before getting your degree.
>>
>>16661222
>>16661179

daily reminder, college was originally intended to prepare you for a job, not prepare you to be trained for free with no job guarantee (ie internships)
>>
>>16661941
easy mode and boring mode
>>
>>16663169
internships aren't free for GOOD MAJORS
>>
Lol dude apply out of state all over the nation. Shit man get another loan if you see one that's going to be a good draw

You better have majored in stem for this to work though.
>>
>>16661190
Well, this used to be the case about 10 years ago, when I started college. Then I graduated right as the recession happened. Basically I was just a clueless 18 year old that was literally coerced into college by my parents.
>>
>>16661001
>tfw degrees are useless
agree, all degrees except STEM are academicaly worthles. law and medicine are just good for getting a job
everything else is just a joke

>tfw cant get any job
you either have a joke degree, or didn't bother to build up a portfolio which is your own fault.

>tfw im so fucked
probably.
>>
Op probably has a degree in gender studies
>>
>>16663632
can you actually get an degree in gender studies ?
we have some electives related to gender shit, but no one here would considere it an actually academical degree
>>
>>16662030
fucking preach.
>>
>>16663132
also fucking preach
>>
>>16662030
>howtobeexploited.jpg
>>
>>16663132
>It always pisses me off when people make fun of music majors.
why ? why the fuck would you study that shit ? if you want to make music, just do it. if you want to be a pretentions faggot, no one cares about your degree anyway or will take you serious.

thats just a waste of academical resources.
>>
>>16663670
>>16663681
You're preaching oposite points of view.

One tells you to work at anything, regardless of liking it or not and the other tells you to study what interests you and pursue it, regardless of it being viable or not.
>>
>>16663692
Man you speak like a true moron
>>
File: sam.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sam.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>16663173
>boring mode

still makes more money than your lazy, culturally sensitive faggot ass.
>>
File: waterski.webm (47KB, 480x258px) Image search: [Google]
waterski.webm
47KB, 480x258px
>>16663757
At least you know how to play an instrument. Maybe I'll hire you to do a wedding. What's that? You only play ukulele? What's that? 100g in debt?
>>
>>16663768
Did you even read that guys post or are you so lost in your hugbox that just reading music triggered you
>>
>>16663768
>college
>debt
you retarded?
only people who don't deserve to go get a lot of debt
>>
>>16663757
i think someone who seriously studies "classical piano" is more of an idiot
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 600x600px
Start learning a trade my nigga.

>be me
>26 yrs old living with mom
>loser
>worked at the mall
>decided to try joining a trade (HVAC)
>Go to CC for about a year
>Land job in the local Union

Fast forward to now

>make 28/hr
>have my own apartment in Silicon Valley (tiny as fuck but at least it's my own place)
>company truck so I never have to worry about wear and tear on my own vehicle
>overtime out the ass, why can't I hold all this money

Electricians, HVAC, whatever. Just do it op, fuck college.
>>
>>16663169
College used to be the school for the wealthy until the GI Bill. These people would have had plenty of connections to job markets without doing anything. Now college is just an extension of high school. It's necessary, though, if you plan to land management positions without being a very successful entrepreneur.
>>
>>16664016
Nail on the head. Society doesn't need 70 million psychology majors. We need welders, mechanics, and electricians. We need people who build infrastructure.
>>
>>16664016
I don't want this
>>16664193
I'm OP
I'm a god damn Doctor and can't find a job
>>
Been looking for a job for 5 months, unemployed for 3.

It's soul destroying, but I've gotten better at interviewing and I feel like I'm getting closer. I've also been getting referrals from friends.

Context: I've been searching for professional jobs.
>>
>>16664193

>>We need people who build infrastructure.

Fuck, we need to be willing to pay to maintain that infrastructure in the first place :|
>>
>>16661001

We don't need 200 million managers and 100 million workers- we need 1 manager for every 10 workers.

Those 170 million of those college educated 'managers' are just gonna have to accept that they belong on the factory line, with the people that didn't go to college

simple as that
>>
>>16664934
Uh
>>
I don't know, I've never enjoyed anything, really. In my country, most jobs are paid like shit unless it's something like engineering or medic... I don't wanna end like my parents, working my ass off for 1k € per month.
That being said, it's too late to pursue an engineering for me.
>>
lol you fucked up OP
gotta do it like me

>graduated uni last month
>start new job in Feb (because I networked)
>36$/hr pay during weekdays 38$/hr on weekends
>only 20 years old and no debts or liabilities.
>>
>>16664866
>I'm a god damn Doctor and can't find a job

You were just proposed several jobs you could take and you simply said

>I don't want this

It's not that you can't find a job, you just refuse to take what's available because you're a whiny little brat who thinks he's too good and would rather be unemployed
>>
>>16666008
I can't get those jobs
>>
>>16664193
>We need welders, mechanics, and electricians
there is no shortage of welders mechanics and electricians, all of those jobs have long waitlists for internships and union slots because so many people want to do them
>>
>>16666261
If you're good at your trade you'll never have to look for a job. I started as a co-op (highschool internship), I peddled my fucking ass and got into a shop as a cleanup boy and to just follow mechsnics around all day. I spent my off hours reading about cars, searching for the mechanic college course textbooks and studying. Learn your shit and known
your shit. They asked me to go to college and apprentice a month into a 9 month co-op. Now I work full time as a mechanic soo
>>
>>16666261
There's also a 40% deficit in mechanics right now. The markets great.
>>
>>16666261
>there is no shortage of welders mechanics and electricians
No. Trained journeymen are retiring in droves, blue collar workers are in extremely high demand right now.
>>
File: 1361789603578.gif (290KB, 396x290px) Image search: [Google]
1361789603578.gif
290KB, 396x290px
>tfw college dropout
>>
>tfw went through a technical program

feels good man
>>
>>16666317
Not everyone as spoiled as you and had those opportunities
>>
>Get Liberal arts degree
>Graduate
>No job market for degree
>Apply to burger king
>Get rejected
>BUT I SHOULD GET TO WORK AT BURGERKING OVER THIS GUY
>Why?
>BECAUSE I HAVE A HISTORY DEGREE, COLLEGE IS A SCAM

Do you retards realize that just having a degree doesn't mean you should get a job if the degree isn't relevant
>>
>>16666512
Pretend retard?
>>
>>16666512
man, i remember when I thought this back in undergrad
>>
>>16662042
>>16662103
>>16662119
>>16662136
>>16663682
>>16663726
If literally every human on earth was a doctor/lawyer, who would do all of the "shitty" work, huh?

You guys are literally shit at logistics and are the reason why foreigners are able to infiltrate this country.

I took college class my senior year and passed them, just to prove to myself I wasn't running away from what I wanted or that I thought of myself as stupid.

I now have job too that only requires a high school diploma.

Dumb, pompous faggots.
>>
>>16666641
I'm the guy you quoted who said he'd rather off himself than work a min wage job for life, let me explain why. I am socially retarded. No gf, only a few friends that I'll lose after graduation anyways. I have to like what I do to get any fulfillment out of life.

Also, with the picture of the guy above, there's doing it, and then there's slaving yourself to it like the picture. Minimum wage warrants minimum effort in my opinion. It's just a job at that point.
>>
>>16666641
What is your problem
>>
>>16666358
That's in your country then.
>>
File: 1451321245734.jpg (25KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1451321245734.jpg
25KB, 540x540px
>>16666478
He worked for it you stupid fuckinv cunt, applied himself and someone noticed.

You'll never have a fucking job with your piss poor attitude. Everybody sees you and thinks to themselves, "What a worthless cunt."

You're the only spoiled fuck in the thread, lived with your mom your whole life and don't know what the real world is like.

> kill yourself.
>>
>>16668587
Stop projecting
He had opportunities handed to him
You honestly think everyone has those options?
>>
File: 1450833571749.png (44KB, 230x295px) Image search: [Google]
1450833571749.png
44KB, 230x295px
>>16668603
Anyone in a developed country does. You wouldn't fucking know of course, because you never applied yourself.

Nobody just sends someone to college or puts them in a 9 month apprenticeship if they don't know that they'll work their ass off. Nobody looks at you that way. You literally expect shit to be handed to you, judging you to be the same anon that thinks he is entitled to a job because hhe went to college.

You literally expect life to be "fair" and tend to your needs, wipe your ass, etc.

You're a fucking child. A spoiled, entitled piece of shit, who thinks the world should revolve arounf him, simple as that.
>>
>>16668651
What the hell is your problem?

I'll agree that >>16666317 put the work in after that first co-op, but the fact is not many people who have never done it before at that point are going to land a co-op just because they "had a curiosity" about the work.

Over half the battle in establishing a career is getting that first relevant experience, and the anon we're talking about did catch a break not too many others (especially here) would.
>>
>>16663692
It's not always about just making music. Studying music is the best exercise you can do for your brain. IT fields prefer hiring graduates who have studied music because it makes them amazing problem solvers and multitaskers
>>
>>16669004

>blah blah

Anon in 3 years: I HAVE SO MUCH DEBT AND NO JOB WHY DIDNT SOMEONE WARN ME MUSIC WAS A STUPID MAJOR
>>
>>16669052
>all that insecurity
What do you get out of shitting on him like that?
>>
Accounting is a safe bet,
>>
>>16668651
You're an idiot man
>>
>>16669052
Even though you come across as a blithering idiot I don't think you're entirely wrong

Music majors aren't as useful as other majors but they aren't entirely worthless - thing is, if you go for a music major you need to have a PLAN. Either you go right into a music related field or teaching or into IT like I said.

If you get a music major without any real strategy then don't be surprised if it doesn't get you anywhere
>>
File: 1450212328708.jpg (64KB, 297x478px) Image search: [Google]
1450212328708.jpg
64KB, 297x478px
>>16668651
>Anyone in a developed country does.
Many of us need to go through lotteries before we're even glanced at. Or did you think everybody gets the chance to suck some dick and be handed an apprenticeship?
>>
I'm studying chemistry engineering. Will I face this same fate ?
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.