[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making Rap Beats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

To start, I'm an amateur composer. I write classical music and rock. Recently, I've been asked to make rap beats for an aspiring rapper who is looking for a heavily instrumentalized concept.

The problem is that I know nothing about rap, much less about how to produce it. I stand to make some money here, and I've considered doing this before, but I don't know how to get started. He is going to educate me on current trends and give me some music to listen to, but I still don't know how to make the beats myself. Does anyone have any suggestions for programs or any protips? I wouldn't turn away a couple of suggested musical samples.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>16651712
There are shittons of tutorials on how to use FL Studio 10 on youtube and the basics of beatmaking in just about every style.

The most important thing you can do is develop an appreciation for rap music. There are tons of different kinds of it. Find one that appeals to you the most and go from there.
>>
>>16651712
just remember OP the ancient greeks spit more fire than any rapper alive or dead epic poetry = white mans rap
>>
>>16651725
>FL Studio
Nice, thanks for the suggestion, and I agree about developing an appreciation. Any further suggestions are welcome.

>>16651735
Hah, we're actually both white. I studied Old Norse poetry myself, and I know the old epics are amazing. Sick reference, bro.
>>
>>16651712
What type of rap is he looking for?
Drill?
Hip Hop?
East Coast?
Trap, etc?
>>
refer him to someone who actually knows wtf theyre doing?
>>
>>16651837
I asked him, but he sort of just went off on a weird tangent and said he wants to do something new.

>>16651937
He has a friend who makes beats, but he's looking for an outside perspective to promote novelty.
>>
what is it your using to make rock music? I imagine your using sibelius for classical

also i suggest getting really really into hip hop if your gunna try, you should listen to it constantly, it'll help (film composers tend to do this when a director asks for certain music they know nothing about), you should work out what the cliches of hip hop are, and then work on using a mixture of cliches and denial of cliches
>>
stick to 4/4 and make a hook that is catchy. basically every song can go hook, 16 bars, hook, 16 bars, hook, 16 bars, hook. It sounds super simple, and it can be but that is essentially what you need. you can just make the same kind of music you make now, in that format, and it should work.
>>
keep the bpm around 85 to 95
>>
google 707, 808, and 909 drum samples.
Search snyth1 for bass (find presets online)
>>
Listen to The album Illmatic by Nas- the greatest hip hop album of all time.

Then listen to The Infamous by Mobb Deep - some of the greatest instrumentals of all time.

That's it, that's all you need from the entire genre of rap.
>>
>>16652645
I use GuitarPro for rock music and Sibelius for classical.

>>16652649
>>16652656
>>16652698
Helpful advice, thank you.

>>16652713
I'll go listen to these
>>
>>16652713
nigga u trippin

OP go listen to some MADLIB, DOOM, PETE ROCK, DILLA...
that's the kind of instrumental vibe u should go for, and that's real hip hop
all these niggas were influenced by em
>>
>>16652905

FOH like I don't know what I'm talking about. I think you're trippin here, player.

Illmatic, the Greatest hip hop album ever, was made by a 17 year old junior high school dropout. I challenge you to find a more articulate musician from a shittier part of town. Nas is the definition of hip hop.

Doom, Pete rock, Dilla, RZA, and DJ Premier are phenomenal producers... But you need to school yourself on how Havoc of Mobb Deep made his early shit. He, no exaggeration whatsoever, made the greatest, darkest, most atmospheric music using only snippets of forgettable bullshit. His sampling is unparalleled.

Everyone else is good, but the skill these two had at such a young age proves that their moms' must have fucked God himself. PLEASE find me a comparable rapper or producer to prove me wrong, I'd love to hear some new amazing shit.
>>
you've attracted the dirty niggers
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.