[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was reading one of those clickbait "Top 10 Anime Heroes"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: spike.jpg (263KB, 638x773px) Image search: [Google]
spike.jpg
263KB, 638x773px
I was reading one of those clickbait "Top 10 Anime Heroes" articles and they put Spike on the list. But when you think about it Spike isn't particularly heroic. He is mostly just an angry/depressed dude trying to make a living. The only heroic thing I can think of that he did was preventing those eco-terrorists from turning everyone into monkeys, and ANYONE would do that.

He also goes on a kamikaze mission in the end. Faye tries to stop him because she and Jet care about him, but it seems he doesn't give a fuck. Spike is great but I'd never call him a "hero".
>>
What would you expect from anything Watch Mojo-tier?
>>
>>138460015
I suspect these people don't even care about the shows. They get the task: "Make an article that will appeal to anime watchers!", then they watch a few episodes, feel like they have gotten the gist, then write their article.
>>
Hero is a synonym for protagonist, you fucking autist.
>>
>>138459916
Isn't he an anti-hero then?
>>
File: clockwork-orange.jpg (368KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
clockwork-orange.jpg
368KB, 1920x1080px
>>138460493
fuck you m8. You're saying Alex was a "hero" just because he was the protagonist?

'Hero' isn't a synonym for protagonist you double nigger.
>>
go watch superman stupid faggot
>>
>>138460696
Reported
>>
>>138460882
>Reported

Why? Was it the double nigger thing?
>>
>>138459916
He's basically a mary sue.
>>
>>138461687
How?
>>
>>138459916
a hero is someone who accomplished a great deed

the notion of a hero being inherently righteous is a modern concept
>>
>>138460696
Alex was the hero too.

Patrick Bateman was also the hero

they both had really nice houses.

Maybe there's something wrong with the way I watch movies.

You can agree that the Grinch is the hero in his story?

I always get really sad when he loses at the end.
>>
>>138463277
Shouldn't you be busy killing orphans and eating mapo tofu?
>>
>>138459916
In classical theater there are two genres, comedy and drama. A drama is pretty much play that is not a comedy. The hero/heroin is the protagonist of the drama. This does mean he/she is heroic in nature.

So yeah, Spike is the hero of Bebop.
>>
He's not a hero in the traditional sense of the word but theres a few episodes of Bebop where they do the right thing rather than abandoning bounties that aren't worth the risk. The movies the example, they still go after Vincent and save Mars even after the bounty disappears.
>>
>>138459916
Spike is a man suffering from severe oneitis that happened to pick up some interesting people on his way to just wanting to fucking die already

He's cool, he's not too complex, he's not really a hero
>>
the hero is the main character mate.
>>
>>138460696
lol okay
>>
>>138460493
This.
>>
>>138460382
>implying they even bother to watch a few episodes

They read a plot synopsis on Wikipedia.
>>
File: tBMRE9g.jpg (9KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tBMRE9g.jpg
9KB, 500x375px
>>138459916
You're fucking retarded, m8. That list probably sucks, but not thinking Spike is cool, honorable, and worthy of looking up to you clearly missed all the subtext and meaning of Real Folk Blues.

It isn't a kamikaze mission, Spike decides to confront his past in the only way he knows how, offensively and upfront. The reason why he leaves the crew is because he cares about them, a lot, despite never admitting it.

Think about this, faggot. The syndicate would've never stopped chasing him after that point because Vicious was now the head. Jet gets shot in the leg and the show goes through a lot of detail to show you how badly Jet has been shot, every other injury in the show thus far jumps ahead to the recovery phase. And then there's the scene where the male host of that bounty hunter show meets with his mother and there's dialogue that is something along the lines of "I don't want to live a life where I'm always in someone's way." Which directly paralles to Spike's situation.

Spike had to die or kill Vicious to ensure the safety of the few relationships he holds dearly, he already lost Julia, he was sure as hell not going to lose anyone else.

So, carry that weight, faggot. And learn how to actually analyze fiction.
>>
>>138470075
I disagree. Spike is a classic tragic hero. The show is about dealing with the past. Every other major character on the show is capable of handling their past in a healthy and mature way except for Spike. Despite everyone telling him to let his past go and move on, he's unable to, and this flaw leads to his downfall. His eyes clearly symbolize this flaw. He sees the past and present simultaneously. His present *is* his past. For him, there's no escaping it.

When Faye confronts him right before he leaves, his justification isn't that he's doing it for them. It's all about *him*. "I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to find out if I'm truly alive." This has nothing to do with his friends. Every character tells him that he can escape this, that he doesn't have to confront Vicious, but he chooses not to.

so UR the real fgt here m8
>>
>>138470604
>not thinking Vicious would go to the end of the solar system to kill everything that Spike even remotely enjoys.

Seriously though, I agree with you as well as still holding what I said as truth. He did it for himself and others. Vicious would've turned the syndicate into a murder mob, civilians and rival gangs would be dying constantly. The only way he thought he could have dealt with his past was through death, his or Vicious, or both. At the sametime, he realizes that distancing himself from the crew and dying would ensure their future.
>>
File: 1455722613524.gif (290KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
1455722613524.gif
290KB, 500x677px
>>138459916
>He is mostly just an angry/depressed dude
I mean. I agree that he ain't great, but what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>138471560
>civilians and rival gangs would be dying constantly.
Spike wouldn't care about that. He's not a fundamentally good person, he just cares about the people he's close to but he's pretty neutral otherwise.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.