[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

evangelion reactions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: Neon Genesis Evangelion -2.jpg (194KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Neon Genesis Evangelion -2.jpg
194KB, 1024x768px
Just finished Evangelion (original series, not rebuild yet) after a week of binging: Some random thoughts.

I was interested in it because I heard it was a deconstruction of the mech genre. However, I ended up not really liking it for this. Maybe it just hit a bit too close to home with the depression stuff, but I liked it as a fun show, like with the volcano episode or the nuclear powered robot episode.

The Angels all had really cool designs. My favorite was probably the one that actually infiltrates NERV in episode 19.

What was the deal with SEELE? I thought they were the cool multicolored dudes that would meet in the beginning of the show (I really liked the colors of those shots) but later on they became monoliths. What was the deal with that.

I didn't fully get the Adam/Lilith thing, but it was still cool. The Spear of Longinus looks awesome.

I read at the beginning that most of the christian stuff was just window dressing, and I agree. It was basically all superficial, but still cool.

Would watch certain episodes again. Still unsure about watching rebuild.
>>
>>138367644

>tfw you can tell when someone comes from reddit because of the retarded way he spaces the sentences

To be honest kill yourself kid. Go have this discussion in whatever reddit board you came from-
>>
>>138367644
A week for 26 episodes isn't binging by /a/ standards.

It's cool that you just watched Eva and like anime, good for you, but your post is too long and rambling for an OP. Go write a MAL review.

>>138367702
Is that a reddit thing? I haven't been there enough to recognize that.
>>
The monoliths are Seele meeting as a secret society, those meetings officially did not happen. The five guys with faces and colors are the Human Instrumentality Committee, a special UN cabinet that officially oversees Nerv. They're all still members of Seele, but aren't meeting as a conspiracy and their teleconferences are only classified to the public instead of officially not existing.
>>
>>138367644
The reason why a lot of people like Evangelion, my self included, is because the depression stuff can hit home so well. It really messes with a lot of people. Now some people don't like this in a show, and I don't think I'd want to watch a lot of shows like it but I think that's why it's considered a classic because it can affect so many people in that way period.

Evangelion is a show that really gets better when you watch it so for sure rewatch some of the episodes you liked. So many obvious hints (like Rei always being a clone/being similar to Shinji's mother). I think things becomre clearer when you see it a few times or just read on some people's analysis's on the series. Rebuild is fine but by comparison, I don't like it. You may like it because it kind of a "happier" (while still being similar to Evangeion) version. Some of the modernity was kind of nice.
>>
>>138367857

I think it has to do with markdown
>>
File: evangelion weg.png (565KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
evangelion weg.png
565KB, 1100x500px
Remember that NGE episode where An Angel attacked, Shinji didn't really want to be there, but was anyway, Asuka bitched and whined the whole episode, and Rei just went along with it.

And then something went wrong, and all of their safeguards failed, and It looks like the angel is going to win, but Deus ex Machina and they kill the angel anyway?
>>
When someone says 'deconstruction of the mecha genre' regarding NGE, what exactly do they mean?
>>
>>138367644
OP, Rei or Asuka or Kaworu?
>>
>>138370223
To invert the tropes of mecha. Like, instead of a hot blood MC, you have Shinji. A part of the deconstruction was framing the world as somewhat grounded in realism. You can argue it all day, but the point I'm making is that, when you bring in a 14 year old kid in a post apocalyptic setting to pilot a huge technology that is hard to imagine against giant monsters that as far as you know will kill all of humanity. You wouldn't be some hot blooded MC, you'd shit your pants. You wouldn't fuck all the chicks, you'd cower at the thought because you're too afraid to open up. It's shit like that that makes it a deconstruction, a unraveling of mecha as a genre.

>>138367644
Now when I say, you didn't get Eva, I mean it in a sense of, you need to read a wiki and have it spoonfeed you what you missed, because you missed a lot because it was your first watch. When you've had everything explained through the power of every spoonfeeding imaginable, watch it again complete with EoE. Then you may get a part of it. Its hard to get Eva with so little explained and a somewhat disconnected chronology in some areas. The Christian symbolism has meaning, don't believe the things /a/ will tell you. There is no commentary Anno makes with the imagery, but the symbolism is key to understanding some things in the show. Like the idea that Eve came from the body of Adam (Eve is Eva in almost all languages other than English). Why the lance of longinus does what it does. the parallels between Kaworu and Jesus, as the savior. Shinji's crucifixion as a symbol of his sacrifice for the good of humanity. The symbolism has meaning, it just has no commentary associated with it.
>>
>>138367644
>I was interested in it because I heard it was a deconstruction of the mech genre.
It isn't. It's a played straight super robot series. Super robot series were depressing and dark decades before Evangelion. Anno in particular is a big fan of those manga series.

>>138370223
>When someone says 'deconstruction of the mecha genre' regarding NGE, what exactly do they mean?
A meme. They have no idea what they're talking about to the extent that they don't even know the meaning of the word deconstruction (it's literary analysis perspective, nothing to do with genres or "tropes").

>>138371837
>To invert the tropes of mecha.
Never happened. What more mecha, don't be a newfaggot or at least don't talk about things you're ignorant of.
>>
>>138371960
>doesn't know about Gundam and every cash grab under its name.

Here's your'e (You)
>>
File: 1190049025291.jpg (59KB, 575x433px) Image search: [Google]
1190049025291.jpg
59KB, 575x433px
>>138367644
The secret of Evangelion is that they took super robot pilots and reversed their genders
if Rei was male, he'd be the awesomely silent/cool/calm guy.
When he rushes that angel with an N2 mine under his arm sacrificing his life ... that is the scene where MANLY TEARS flow for A MAN'S WAY OF LIFE AND DEATH.
Asuka, if a man, would be an awesomely HOT BLOODED pilot. And pervy with his advances on Shinji, but a little tsundere.
And Shinji, as a weak little girl, as a girl, puts it into context. You'd be fapping furiously to Shinjiko every night because of her shy demeanour
And with girl Kaworu, Shinji x Kaworu would be amazingly hot.
>>
File: f_0439764.jpg (87KB, 444x750px) Image search: [Google]
f_0439764.jpg
87KB, 444x750px
>>138373051
Every thread
>>
>>138373051
>mama Gendo wanting her husband back
>papa watching over Shinjiko
At last I truly see
>>
>>138370140
Ground hog day is pretty appropriate as NGE is basically a repeat nightmare scenario where Shinji has to reset reality until he gets it right. Rebuild and the manga both prove this
>>
File: ManaCard.jpg (92KB, 640x737px) Image search: [Google]
ManaCard.jpg
92KB, 640x737px
Reminder that Mana = best girl
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.