[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a guy who watches a variety of televised media and holds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Turn A bunch.jpg (2MB, 1294x1912px) Image search: [Google]
Turn A bunch.jpg
2MB, 1294x1912px
As a guy who watches a variety of televised media and holds no real favoritism, I gotta ask why is it when it comes to anime, so much effort is put into the soundtracks?

I mean, even the background music from most shows are good enough to listen on long rides.
and that's not even getting into the OP's.
Which is now excuse to post one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qOm2rhu8Y

Is there some kind of history or media deal that I haven't looked up? Something that is incredibly apparent to you guys, that I've missed?
pic related for best OST overall.
>>
I know that Sony produces a bunch of shows. So they use them as an opportunity to advertise singers by having them do the OPs.

As for the rest of the music, I dunno.
Japs are just good with music.
>>
>>138289525
Eh that's not really a satisfactory answer. Didn't know about sony though, so thanks for that.
>>
>>138289445
>Dragonar
Have to get around to watching that. As for your question, well I don't know either. I never actually thought about that.
>>
COME ON /a/, YOU SHOULD KNOW THIS STUFF.
DON'T MAKE ME GO TO /jp/ OR /tv/, OR EVEN /mu/.
>>
File: Earth and Moon.png (295KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Earth and Moon.png
295KB, 800x800px
bamp
>>
File: 1451258696861.png (2MB, 936x1260px) Image search: [Google]
1451258696861.png
2MB, 936x1260px
>>
I'm guessing it's that Japan has a strong music market combined with the fact that anime is niche and hardcore fans willing to buy dvds and merch may be willing to buy soundtracks too.

It is interesting though, I find it a really conspicuous difference between anime and any other TV media.
>>
They don't have the time, money or people to animate as well as they'd want to, but you can have one dude compose (and record if you're being really cheap) the entire soundtrack and it's really quick compared to the production's overall duration.
>>
File: 1436104120424.jpg (57KB, 390x261px) Image search: [Google]
1436104120424.jpg
57KB, 390x261px
The only American TV that I can think of that had an impressive soundtrack is the early seasons of Star Trek TNG and the guy that did that got fired.

There's got to be more than examples of good soundtracks in none-nip TV, what are they /a/?
>>
File: 1457011316471.gif (183KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1457011316471.gif
183KB, 512x384px
>>138289445
>why is it when it comes to anime, so much effort is put into the soundtracks?
Because why wouldn't you? Music is really important for tone and atmosphere. Arguably more than visuals.
>>
>>138291680
That doesn't really explain why Anime music so good, but western tv + cartoon music so bland (aside from musicals).
>>
>>138289445
>>138291680

Going off what this guy said, I'd assume it's a side effect of Japan's unique economic situation, being a very small but highly developed country with a smaller potential consumer base than the US. A traditional JRPG (mostly 2D) visual novel costs significantly less to produce than the 3D adventure games that were popularized in the West. Anime costs a lot to make but has the advantage of a very devoted niche consumer market willing to pay a lot of money for merch. Both of these mediums want to maximize sales and profit against expenses, and they benefit greatly from marketable, memorable soundtracks that will attract consumers. It's probably the same reason why they have probably the most well developed voice acting industry in the world. It's just something that naturally developed due to market conditions.
>>
I think the West puts more of the effort into sound SFX and often skimps on BGM in favor of the sound of what's "actually happening."
>>
>>138292766
There's exactly one instance where an anime's sound design has thrown me off, and it's when Wrath and Greed fight in FMA Brotherhood. It's the sound of Wrath's sword breaking and as far as I could tell it was completely unique, non-stock and non-recycled sound that didn't remind me of any sound effect from any other anime. Just an anecdote I guess.
>>
>>138292766
>>138292766
Everything the the new Darksouls 3 trailers and gameplay is completely recycle it's a huge turn off.
>>
>>138292587
The segregation of industries is probably at play here.. To my incredibly pleb tier knowledge of the Japanese entertainment industry and soundtracks, there looks like a lot of crossover between the television and film animation arenas. The same good composers seem to be used in both, and sometimes even in live action. There just seems to be better crossover. It's less ghettoized.

In the west, the industries seem highly segregated. It's unlikely for pretty much ANYONE in either the television or film circles to see much crossover. If you want to be a "good" composer, you go into film and thus never get into television, much less animation.

There's probably a number of other factors as well, but this is what jumped to my mind first.
>>
>>138293279
OP here. I've already come to a conclusion thanks to the various posts in the thread, and thanks for that.
But I just want to say that I can count the number of memorable movie tracks on my hand.
It's definitely due to the amount of anime that gets made each year in comparison to movies, but the number of OSTs I remember far outstrips that of movie STs. They all are just so incredibly generic for the most part.
>>
>>138291751
The Battlestar Galactica remake had a good soundtrack.
I still can't think of a time an actually good show had a good sound track.
>>
>>138293279
>If you want to be a "good" composer
If you want to be a good composer, you don't do soundtracks.
>>
>>138291751
>>138293368
I quite liked the soundtrack for Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, particularly this episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIj7gIDFDe4
>>
My biggest problem with soundtracks in western TV shows and even more so in movies is that they all sound very Hans Zimmer-esque.
>>
>>138293732
Nice. Into the backlog it goes
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.