[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The elevator scene

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
I can't tell if this scene is the laziest filler ever, or one of the deepest, realest, most brilliant scenes ever in anime.

I mean, you can just imagine what Asuka's thinking, trapped in close quarters, on her period, with somebody she hates viscerally.

Vid related.
>>
>>138065418
This is how you handle a poorly behaved dog. Good job Rei.
>>
Rei did nothing wrong.
>>
I think it's artsy, it's not lazy, they even reanimated it for the DC's and made Asuka sniff in it. The scene even reapeared in Death.
>>
>>138065418
It was a brillant moment in a garbage show.
>>
>>138065649
K.. but 4.44 when?
>>
>>138065418
It's both
>>
File: image.png (259KB, 757x426px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
259KB, 757x426px
>>138065649
When it happened in Rebuild I was like "not again". Luckily they cut it down to tolerable length this time around.
>>
File: 1445811634506.gif (1MB, 227x255px) Image search: [Google]
1445811634506.gif
1MB, 227x255px
>>138065649
Second

It's not exactly what I'd use to sell someone on Evangelion, but there's real room in the medium for this kind of narrative device.
>>
>>138065768
"Elevators are artistically relevant."
-- Mass Effect
>>
>>138065418
I remember waiting that scene out thinking it was an eternity. Afterwords I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Basically it's a trick you can only do once, but it's impactful when you do.
>>
Its just an elevator dude
>>
Its a trick to disguise loading times.
>>
>>
>>138065418
It's a genius application of taking a disadvantage and turning it into an asset.
>budget is running out
>need to cut corners
>write this scene
And it turned out into one of the realest scenes. All the characterization and tension built up previously throughout the series and you are just waiting waiting for the explosion. Another anime would have made that scene into some cathartic resolution.
But nothing was resolved, you get to see that these two characters won't ever see eye to eye.
It's grim.
It's all too unusual in anime.
It's brilliant.
>>
>>138067968
That is the real difference between NGE and other anime.
Treating the same cliches that are so prevalent differently.

Otherwise it's largely a normal show.
>>
>>138065418
It's a deconstruction of the elevator rides in Mass Effect you plebeian.
>>
Was Evangelion improved by the fact it ran out of budget towards the end? Lets hear those shitty opinions.
>>
File: image.jpg (80KB, 496x795px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80KB, 496x795px
>>138068053
>That is the real difference between NGE and other anime.
>Treating the same cliches that are so prevalent differently.

Indeed and that is why it's considered a deconstruction of the genre imo. It's so weird to see people use it as entry level anime when where it really shines is as a break from the norm of having watched so much cliché anime and mecha. Like having the esteanged father say get into the robot and actually call him out as the shit he is and refusing.

>Otherwise it's largely a normal show.
You lost me
>>
>>138068390
>You lost me
I wanted to end the post and didn't know how to.
Just saying NGE is special felt wrong.
>>
>>138068443
>I wanted to end the post and didn't know how to.
>Just saying NGE is special felt wrong.
BUT IT IS SPECIAL REEEEEEEE
yeah I know that feel. Ending your post well is a bitch at times
>>
>>138067968
Not only that, but the constant imagery of transportation that lasts forever is relevant.

Escalators that go down forever, elevator rides that are super long, the train cars that go on forever.

It shows the characters are searching or going somewhere but not knowing the destination, because they don't know their purpose in life yet.
>>
>>138065418

I remember laughing during half the whole scene, because of that.

>>138065768

Even more hilariously, it didn't feel quite the same.

The sneeze was a nice touch, though.
>>
It's an artsy execution of a limited budget. Same with the Grab a Snickers scene.
>>
Like most of Eva, it's a combination of both. Using whatever they could with the budget they had
>>
>>138065499
I'd tell you to eat shit, but you already like Rei. Kill yourself.
>>
>>138065418
What is Rei thinking about the period stench from Asuka's pussy?
>>
>>138071513
It probably reminds her of the tube she was born in.
>>
>>138068103
Yes. EoE wouldn't have been the same movie if the fans didn't get pussy with the last two eps and those were only made b/c of the shitty budget
>>
>>138065649
Well, they were certainly constrained by the budget cuts, but they were able to make the scene work in spite of it
>>
>>138065768
The high five was the only good thing they changed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smO9SA7eP6E
>>
>>138067968
This

It follows the thought of "you can say a lot without saying anything at all." I wish more anime would do this kind if thing too. Anime is too often so dialogue heavy it ruins the immersion. Show, don't tell.
>>
Even if it was due to budget constraints, this scene did a perfect job of capturing the agonizing awkwardness and tension of a scenario like this. It's uncomfortably long and drawn out, to the point that you wish it would just hurry up and be over with, which is why it's perfect. If you've ever been in a situation where you were forced to be alone with someone you vehemently disliked in a close, confined space, this is pretty much exactly what it feels like.
>>
File: evangelion_kaworu.jpg (11KB, 350x275px) Image search: [Google]
evangelion_kaworu.jpg
11KB, 350x275px
>>138065418

It helps to remember that Gainax was in a budget crunch at the time. It also helps to remember it was like the third or fourth time it did the single frame shtick and one more was to come.
>>
>>138075158
One of the most powerful scenes I have scene in anime though. Anno is truly the master.
>>
This scene was because the budget was he getting low
>>
>>138065418
>I can't tell if this scene is the laziest filler ever, or one of the deepest, realest, most brilliant scenes ever in anime.

It's literally both.
>>
>>138077495
Yep, this is why: of course it was fucking filler, they were running low on budget, they said might as well stretch this non-budget consuming part for a good amount of time.

Then the fans and even Anno himself turned it around, trying to find meaning in it. Hence, turning it into one of the most talked about scenes in anime history.
>>
>>138065418
They spent all their money on the action scenes.

They made do with what they had the budget for.
>>
File: tubes.png (2MB, 1286x785px) Image search: [Google]
tubes.png
2MB, 1286x785px
A lot of artists thrive within boundaries. Anno certainly did, whether he thinks so or not is irrelevant.
>>
>>138071845
why do the nips keep cutting their fingers? I myself am not the most dexterous human being and I manage without cutting my fingers when preparing meals.
>>
>>138068103
>>138071771
That's a myth. Last 2 episodes weren't bad because of a lack of budged, but because of lack of time. they had just received approval of extra budget for the movie. The budget issues were just present in the first half of the series.
>>
>>138079461
You can't be this fucking stupid. I refuse to believe it.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.