[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

They're making a literal VRMMORPG based off SAO

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 11

File: SAO in a nutshell.png (391KB, 346x888px) Image search: [Google]
SAO in a nutshell.png
391KB, 346x888px
On a scale of 1 to 10, how boned are we?

https://youtu.be/fcGhGEfHdWs
>>
>>137794898
I'm hyped.
>>
>Sao
So,men pretending to be cute girls?
Its like /jp/
>>
>>137794898
It'll be bad.
>>
>>137794898
Finally, I can live out my life playing out as a cute little idol girl.
>>
IBM will make deathgames real.
>>
>>137794898
>They're making a literal VRMMORPG based off SAO
Don't care, it will suck just like the show.
>>
>>137794898
I'll be too old to give a shit.
>>
Where's the info that was supposed to be released today?
>>
>>137794898
I can't wait to be stuck in an VRMMO.

I'll be playing video games for 2 years and the government will pay me money after wards to shut me up.

I'll even get to lose weight and stop being a fat fuck while in hospital!

I can't possibly see any negative outcome to this.
>>
File: 1452326263601.png (141KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
1452326263601.png
141KB, 330x330px
>>137795619
You also get to kill people with little to no consequences.
>>
>>137794898
>IBM

It will be an over hype marketing bullshit.
>>
>>137795807

IBM watson will be the final boss
>>
>>137794898
>sao
into the trash
>>
>>137795770
You wanna join my hunting party? We can dress up in frilly clothing and lure men into high impact pvp action
>>
It will be shit, you have to be completely deluded dumb weeb to think it will play anything remotely like SAO
>>
>>137794898
Why would this "bone" any of us in any way?
Are you so autistic that the mere existence of something you dislike somehow feels like an attack against you?
Like, how do you cope with the fact that some company is currently making ice cream in flavors you don't like? Or that my underwear probably isn't your favorite color?
>>
>>137796419
Also don't forget about pay to win.
>>
I don't care for VRMMORPG, I just want a MMOFPS based on GGO that is playable.
>>
>>137796563
>Are you so autistic that the mere existence of something you dislike somehow feels like an attack against you?
This is the internet. The existence of anything anyone doesn't like is somehow offensive, all the time.
>>
I honestly dont mind too much. The game mechanics of sao were actually not absolute shit, so there is a chance it'll be okay. I hope.
>>
>>137796631
>The internet

That's how it works in real life too buddy
>>
File: o0479064012392051398.jpg (117KB, 479x640px) Image search: [Google]
o0479064012392051398.jpg
117KB, 479x640px
What are the chances that the author will be among the first to play this game and lose horribly?
>>
>>137796675
Were there even any game mechanics to speak of? All I remember is Kirito winning through sheer protagonist power any time he fought something.
>>
SAO has shit story and characters, but you gotta admit the world is beautiful.

Even if it was a walking simulator it would still be cool.
>>
>>137796137
Of course, anon-kun.
>>
>>137796861
Elfshit had some more details about it. It was user-skill based with little to no assist, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>137796861
Anime glosses over them, but the novel more-or-less explains them in some amount of detail. Most of the game mechanics are explained in extra side-stories, or the spin-off.
>>
>>137796675
>SAO mechanics
>not absolute shit
SAO had:
>small mobs and friendly object collision/knockback that effectively penalized partying in an MMO
>no effective ranged at all
>how the fuck do you kite shit except through sheer ballsiness?
>absurdly poorly tuned bosses
>poor consumable options
I mean, there were healing and teleport crystals LATER on, but for most of the earlier floors, all people had were shitty HoT pots with a cooldown timer. There were zero instant heal options. That's no way to raid. I know this all just represents Kawahara's unfamiliarity with raiding and all, but it comes off as absolutely ridiculous.
>the entire 2nd floor boss battle
What the fuck.

The different floor are neat, though. Reaching a new floor and realizing that you need to float down the river in an inner tube and build yourself a boat to get around and fight stuff sounds pretty fun. The automatic quest generator is cool, too.
>>
File: hack_kite.jpg (20KB, 200x208px) Image search: [Google]
hack_kite.jpg
20KB, 200x208px
NEXT .HACK GAMES WILL BE VRMMO
HYPE.
>>
Just let me get stuck in one of these games like a fucking LN protagonist. I have nothing to lose in this world.
>>
File: 1453874006717.gif (163KB, 500x283px) Image search: [Google]
1453874006717.gif
163KB, 500x283px
>>137797802
>I have nothing to lose in this world
Same.
>>
Call me when I can become a spooky skeleton instead.
>>
>>137784401
Well since IBM's focus this time is AI..
>>
>>137794898
There's nothing wrong with the universe from what I watched (up to episode 7), it was the story and characters that destroyed the show.

Perhaps seeing and interacting with the actual world rather than following gary-stu and his sluts will be fun.

The only thing that could ruin it is toxic playerbase, which will be plentiful. But we could just make an /a/ guild/clan/whatever and hide public chat.
>>
>get stuck in game
Would there be a masturbate function?

I mean, you can move your body freely in SAO, right? I only saw like 14 episodes. So I'm still not entirely sure how the world works. But it looked like it worked just like ours, right?

inb4 rape party who go around virtually raping all the women
>>
>>137801587
>play censored version
>you have no dick
>tits have no nipples
>trapped for years like that
>>
We don't even have computer strong enough to generate believable small world, what to expect from SAO shit like this?
>>
>>137801587
There was a "bonus" chapter that the author was too ashamed to admit writing in which Kirito and Asuna find a setting that they can turn off, that normally alerts the automods when you do lewd stuff. With it off, they're able to bone. 2 years worth of semen made a glopping noise as they poured into asuna
>>
>>137797658
what's the point of raiding when the majority are dps? it's just a slugfest at that point
>>
>>137805273
Not to mention that nobody has time for long raids nowadays.
And having the trinity is usually disliked
>>
>>137805273
It can be made interesting. If dying actually means something (losing the character for example) and also the boss can pretty much one-shot everyone in AoE, and the only way of killing it is following the patterns for a long time, then I'm all for it. Sounds fun and intense.
>>
>>137797708
i really want TheWorld Online
>>
File: s..png (198KB, 374x370px) Image search: [Google]
s..png
198KB, 374x370px
>You will be scanned and your 3D modeling is used as avatar in the game.

Fucking LMAO /a/ and /v/ BTFO
>>
But there are LNs with better MMO worlds than SAO.
>>
>>137805854
Yes but they aren't nearly as popular and they wouldn't generate all this shitstorm/hype/colective butthurt which is essential to draw attention to VR tech.
>>
>>137805909
But SAO author isn't even an actual video game creator.

I am surprised they didn't work with an actual Japanese game company instead and based it off an actual Japanese video game franchise.

The SAO LN isn't even focused on one specific MMO but multiple ones.

It would be a very inconsistent MMO if it tried to include every MMO mentioned in the LN and none of the worlds in SAO really impressed me.

I am extremely surprised something like Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest was ignored in favor of SAO.
>>
>>137806091
Point stands.
>>
>>137806131
SAO isn't as popular as Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest in Japan.
>>
>>137806162
Monster Hunter and DQ fans wouldn't give as much as of a fuck about a VRMMO as SAO fans.

This isn't hard to understand anon
>>
File: 1411935812120.gif (619KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1411935812120.gif
619KB, 500x280px
>>137794898
It's controlled not via gamepad but by moving your body.
>>
>>137806349
Scared of exercise, fatso?
>>
Im happy to see it. Most likely will be bad but we need a start point. Just remember how fast we went from pong to now. Once the nerdball gets rolling innovation flys forward.
>>
>>137805273
If you actually try to make a game along SAO's mechanics, you got a few things that sorta make it stand out:
>the artificial difficulty of permadeath
>limited healing options makes aggro control all that more important
>limited healing options makes tank rotations all that more vital
>no ranged means that you have to pay more attention that you're not getting caught in a Cleave or something
>no ranged and no magic really limits your CC options
Overall, it's just much higher stakes for a playerbase that oftentimes has trouble grasping such complex instructions as "don't stand in the fucking fire".

For that matter, tanking in SAO sounds awful. Especially when anti-crystal zones are a thing.
>>
>>137806091
>I am extremely surprised something like Monster Hunter or Dragon Quest was ignored in favor of SAO.
That's because this is an experiment. No one is expecting this to make money, IBM is investing in this to further develop the artificial intelligence program they created. Making it link up with a well known novel franchise is just a way to get recruits. It is exactly because they are not a videogame company, that they didn't worry about profitability. If the tech worked then it doesn't matter if the game sucked, the tech itself would be able to be sold at a profit to industry.
>>
>>137794898
Somewhat sad that it is not .Hack and 《SAO》
>>
Can't even be mad, because this is the first step to achieving a virtual waifu. Doesn't matter what the IP is for early works as long as shit gets done, but I'll probably be looking back on these words with regret because only big name projects like SAO will have good production, while my niche fetishes will be overlooked for VR.
>>
>>137794898
Can I be a cute little girl? This is important.
>>
>>137808873

I would be a cute little girl and fulfill my fantasies of pleasing hundreds of big strong tanks and let them unload their stress on me.
>>
>>137794898
What is that entry
>>
I'd rather have an Overlord-based one minus the pay2win shit

seemed fun as fuck to go adventuran with your buddies
>>
>>137808848
>Can't even be mad, because this is the first step to achieving a virtual waifu. Doesn't matter what the IP is for early works as long as shit gets done, but I'll probably be looking back on these words with regret because only big name projects like SAO will have good production, while my niche fetishes will be overlooked for VR.
Don't be mad. It is very unlikely the SAO project would become a successful game, at least not the first version. Remember that the first MMO was Ultima Online, and that didn't work out because they had no idea what an MMO needed to function. Someone had to be the sacrificial lamb to figure out what doesn't work, and it might as well be IBM, a company who isn't worried about profiting from selling games.
>>
>>137794898
I'd bite
>>
As an IBM software engineer who works on the cloud shit this is running on I must say this is both the most interesting and least-ibm like project I've seen the company work on in my time. Like most fun IBM projects I foresee zero profit.
>>
>>137810629
>As an IBM software engineer who works on the cloud shit this is running on I must say this is both the most interesting and least-ibm like project I've seen the company work on in my time. Like most fun IBM projects I foresee zero profit.
But of course. No one expects this to be anything more than a Blue Sky project. But someone had to do it.
>>
>>137806091
SAO's author isn't a video game creator, no. However he has spent a fair bit of time thinking on how a VRMMORPG might work, and built a couple of successful franchises based on his ideas, including a few different MMOs with various restrictions. And in general he's interested in VR tech, and has a fan base more likely to be interested in VR tech.

When it comes to building a VRMMO, that's likely going to be more useful than the MH or DQ franchises which just have their general popularity a name recognition to offer.

Plus seeing as it's IBM, I think most people take it for granted that IBM's more interested in the technical challenges. SAO and Aincrad are envisioned as an AI managed, highly interactive, large VR environment. That's the sort of thing I'm pretty sure IBM would love to be able to do. Trying to make the fictional one real would garner a lot more interest in the project than them making their own from scratch.
>>
its going to be dog shit. if westerners can't perfect VR games to make it widespread and affordable as well as having good performance, the nips won't be able to do it.
Right now VR is still largely a gimmick that is horribly optimized and the only type of games available are shitty simulators with low interactivity. No way they can make
a good or even reasonably functional VR game within the next 5-7 years without a god like amount of money
>>
>>137794898
First 1000 beta tester when.
>>
>>137809241
Just go play DnD you faggot.
>>
>>137808873
Of course.
>>
only a few more years and i can be like kirito-kun !
>>
>>137795093
>log into aincrad
>cute girl starts hitting on me
>we have vr sex and start going out
>meetup irl
>she's a fat neet from /a/
I don't know how I'll feel about VR
>>
>>137816482
At least it is a grill and not an he.
>>
>>137812602
Only 208 Japanese alpha testers
>>
>>137808873
I think some posted before in a translation from the website that you are going to get yourself scanned and your character will have that appearance.
just scan a loli
>>
This is what I have been waiting for since I held a controller in my hand at the age if two. Dibs on Log Horizon guild name.
>>
File: Y5pWM9l.jpg (13KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
Y5pWM9l.jpg
13KB, 400x225px
>>137818515
Feels good having an easily disposable imouto.
>>
>>137794898
>First VRMMO is called Sword Art Online

It's like Kawahara is psychic.
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>137794898
>they didn't do .Hack
>>
>>137797658
Actually, some of that was in-universe intentional. Kayaba has a massive "life risk" fetish thus the lack of ranged weapons & no magic was an intentional feature. He wanted people to be up close and possibly dying.
>>
Daily reminder that you can't make waifus out of NPCs in SAO.
>>
>>137820610
Kawahara has already tested out the system.

I wonder if he can hook me up with something if I asked to play with him when the game comes out.
>>
>>137820926
Rather, SAO was also kinda a glorified tech demo. He wanted you to feel the thrill of VR melee combat. I guess casting and shooting were not hardcore enough for him.

Kayaba was an edgelord who just wanted you to have skin in the game and take your virtual life seriously. By threatening you with the looming risk of death.
>>
My mom's disabled, so she's doing nothing but playing games all day. She was always hoping that a VR will be made in her lifetime. This, however, requires you to actually use your body (shes paralyzed waist down) to move your character. Should I tell her that this is coming out to give her hope, or would it just be depressing?
>>
>>137794898
>learning AI
>game becomes too hard for anyone to beat within weeks
>have to gut the learning AI to not go out of business
>becomes a 'wow hard' gear-check shitfest with ultra casual-facebook tier mode for instant gratification

Eh.

>>137806349
Body motion could be fine if it was just for interface interaction but it doesn't sound like that is what they are going for.
>>
>>137824573
You know SAO isn't the only VR application being developed right? It's currently based on technology using the Oculus Rift, but it will get more advanced over the years. The thing is that there are already many games being developed for VR hardware like the Oculus Rift, and most don't require you to stand and move around as you can move around in the virtual world with other methods. This is just one game where they decided it's required. Your Mom will be fine.

Is it because your Mom is also a huge fan of anime and SAO or something? Why does it have to be SAO? Why not show her something like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jtb4CIQaGs

Or this is a good reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC771cGruuM
>>
>>137797658
Hey, don't forget that a game about sword fighting had no dual wield option, unless you were the MC.
>>
>>137805796
>Some anon will come to Aincrad in a black trenchcoat, flame t-shirt, fingerless gloves, katanas on his hip/back, socks with sandals, and cargo pants with zippers at the knees
>He'll most certainly be either a legit autist or a guy who is too stupid to realize how dumb he looks
>>
>>137797658
>small mobs and friendly object collision/knockback that effectively penalized partying in an MMO

No object collision in a full body sensory experience would be horrible.

>no effective ranged at all
Intentional design choice, cry more huntard.

>how the fuck do you kite shit except through sheer ballsiness?
Having 2 working feet, SAO didn't have anti-kiting mechanics built in to prevent 'exploiting'.
>absurdly poorly tuned bosses
If you mean ridiculously OP, that was the intention.
>poor consumable options
Hard game is hard for a reason.
>>
>>137804289
They're doing some sort of cloud computing, probably they will stream or procedurally generate the user experience. It's probably also why it's Asia only because the rest of the world has abysmal internet speeds by comparison.
>>
>>137806793
>Overall, it's just much higher stakes for a playerbase that oftentimes has trouble grasping such complex instructions as "don't stand in the fucking fire".

Perhaps those people SHOULD be driven away from a game so that maybe for a change we could have a game that pleases people instead of a game that appeals to everyone and pleases none of them.
>>
File: 1272395195287.gif (147KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1272395195287.gif
147KB, 320x240px
>>137816482
>anon having sex even in VR
>>
How do people who wear glasses wear virtual reality helmets?
>>
>>137794898
Neural control is still developing. So we'll get shitty body scan controls that requires a lot of space and risk of injury for imprecise movements, or the usual buttons which makes it the same as any other game compatible with helmets.
>>
>>137825703
We don't, we don't get shit.

Realistically near-sighted people shouldn't need their glasses, screen is like 2 inches in front of your eyeball and depth is artificial so you won't be able to see 'further' than what your rendered viewing distance is.

Far-sighted people on the other hand may have a problem.
>>
>>137825703
https://support.oculus.com/hc/en-us/articles/203065156-Can-I-wear-glasses-while-using-the-Oculus-Rift-Development-Kit-2-
>>
>>137825938
>>137825703
VR headsets have lenses that focus themselves. There's a reason why it doesn't actually look (when you have it on) like a screen 2 inches from your eyes. Basically if you have shit vision in real life you have shit vision in VR. VR headset makers like Oculus and HTC have taken this into account and made it so that the majority of glasses frames can fit when you try to wear it over them.

>>137826138
Careful about the discussion surrounding dev kit/prototype hardware, as they have less considerations for glasses.
>>
>>137825703
They put on their glasses and then the headset.
>>
No nervgear.
So it won't kill you... but it also won't be very good.
>>
We all know it's not going to live up to the hype and will be forgotten after a few months.
>>
If IBM wanted to make this mainstream, they should have picked Digimon.

More clueless normalfags would have recognized Digimon more than SAO.

If you suddenly start spamming Don't Interfere at people, they would likely recognize it.
>>
>>137827532
>More clueless normalfags would have recognized Digimon more than SAO.

Like 10 years ago?
>>
>>137827532
>Announce a Digimon VRMMO
Oh yea, that not-pokemon cartoon saw when I was a kid... cool, I guess
>Announce a SAO VRMMO
Holy shit, SAO's happening in my lifetime!!!!!
>>
>>137796563
>>137796631
>>137796751
I thought he was making a joke about the possibility of murderous VRMMO's existing IRL in future
>>
>>137827103
Stay deluded, hipster.
>>
>>137827532

If you've gone back to living in 1999 it would probably be more profitable to spend your time betting on Superbowl winners than shitposting on 4chan.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.