[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are examples of anime or manga that are popular, but you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 15

File: your favorite anime.gif (3MB, 541x304px) Image search: [Google]
your favorite anime.gif
3MB, 541x304px
What are examples of anime or manga that are popular, but you cant fucking stand?

Like Gate for example.
>>
Naruto.
>>
haremshit
>>
>>137743394

Jojo is for hipsters.
>>
Dimension W
>>
Kill La Kill. I liked it, thought it was extremely stupid, but everyone worships that shit like the 2nd coming of Christ.
>>
File: POTATO EATING INTENSIFIES.gif (775KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
POTATO EATING INTENSIFIES.gif
775KB, 500x280px
>>137743600
Kill la Kill is shit, and so is the anime this is from
>>
File: trash.png (98KB, 716x312px) Image search: [Google]
trash.png
98KB, 716x312px
Boku no Hero Academia. I read it for a while but it was just generic shounenshit.
What it has that warrants a permanent general I will never understand.
>>
>>137743659
HEY. SnK is pretty decent.
>>
>>137743852
I concur. What's even more mindboggling to me is that it's getting an adaptation which will only magnify this all even further
>>
Attack on the Titan ,Tokyo Ghoul and Akame ga Kill. I don't hate these series but I don't understand what made these series popular.
>>
>Popular, but you can't fucking stand
Oh, that list is big.
>>
>>137744577
All three were aimed at children but had a slightly violent twist to draw in both kids and teens
>>
>>137743394
Any harem that /a/ likes.
>>
>>137744364
No it isn't. KLK is far better.
>>
eva
gurren lagann
k-on
lucky star
bakemonogatari
fate/stay night
>>
>>137744577
babies first animu
>>
>>137744732
klk had no budget, and the fight scences looked like ass
>>
White Album 2
>>
>>137744963
You have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
Fairy Tail.
>>
>>137743394
NGE or the -gatari series
>>
Haruhi.
>>
>>137744732
>KLK is far better
That's bullshit
>>
>>137743394
Monogatari series, overrated and has more fan-service than story. But I loved the visuals/artistic style of it
>>
fuckin steins gate
>>
>>137744577
Simples stories with action, violence, and a feeling of "importance," even if in a simple way. That's all it takes to make something popular.
>>
>>137745702
This. I watched it wondering what all the fuss was about and why people liked this Haruhi character and I ended up only pissed off about how obnoxious and self-important she was. Her fans are most likely self-important and obnoxious as well.

>>137747390
I agree. The series is great eye-candy, but the story, the characters, the writing, it's nothing remarkable.
>>
>>137743394
K-ON and Cod Geass
They're both complete and utter shit. I watched one season of each just to see what made them so popular.

I can only assume that 10 year old girls love K-ON and 10 year old boys love Code Geass.

There's no other explanation for how such terrible anime could be popular.
>>
>>137743394
Monotagari, i just couldn't fin any enjoyment in it.
To a lesser degree K-On, i usually marathon any series i download and it felt like K-On isnt meant for that. Enjoyed it initially but lost interest. Might pick it up again
>>
File: i dont get it.jpg (33KB, 542x554px) Image search: [Google]
i dont get it.jpg
33KB, 542x554px
>>137743394
All the generic moe SoL stuff that /a/ fucking loves for some reason, like K-On, Yuru Yuri, Kiniro Mosaic, Non Non Biyori, Gochiusa, the list goes on.
>>
No rec threads please
>>
ITT: Shit taste
>>
>>137744963
>klk had no budget, and the fight scences looked like ass

You're confusing KLK with your bathroom mirror
>>
>ctrl+f
>One Punch Man/OPM
>0 results
huh
>>
>>137745083
pretty sure I do
>>
>>137743394

Sword art online.
>>
>>137748641
/a/ only pretends to hate opm in order to troll retards
>>
>>137748754
I know, I'm just surprised no one said it earlier
>>
>>137748711
Please demonstrate it then. In what way do KLK's fights not work?
>>
>>137748754
I legit hate it.
>>
One Shit-piece-
>>
Snk
Eva
Tokyo Ghoul

>>137744856
pleb
>>137744577
good taste
>>137747448
pleb
>>137748175
good taste
>>
Haruhi.
>>
>>137743394

Almost everything Aniplex has made since the decade started pretty much. It's like they can produce the most top to bottom mediocre crap and everybody will be jizzing over the production values, "mature writing", "deconstructions" and how "original" it is. I swear it must be like the entire anime community to completely turned over in the last few years and to this new generation they can do absolutely no wrong and are always at the forefront of every season. It's made the anime community almost intolerable and full of pretentious idiot teenagers now.
>>
>>137748861
y tho
>>
Madoka, Gate and Code Geass
>>
>>137748956

Hating Madoka is literally "lol I don't get why ppl think Shakespeare was good hes BORING" tier.
>>
Divine Gate
>>
Grimgar was fucking unbearable. Very pretty, but unbearable. The kids were bumbling morons.
>>
Moeshit like NNB and k-on
>>
>>137749032
>Grimgar was
Are you from the future or something?
>>
>>137749001
I like Madoka, but that's bullshit. It's just a decent show, nothing profound
>>
>>137749083

all im gonna say is dont go to 4chan on september 16
>>
>>137749090

I would easily classify in in my top 3 best anime of all time.

What does your list look like?
>>
>>137749145

Don't get so triggered, m8
>>
>>137748942

100% agree. It started with Monogatari, then Fairy Tail, then it become Madoka, then Fate, Kill la Kill, then A/Z, then Fate again, then Charlotte and so on with probably some shit I'm forgetting inbetween since now it's like literally every season with the latest example being Erased and Grimgar. Literally just find the Aniplex shows and those are your guaranteed overhyped clusterfucks that everybody watches and seemingly swears are the most amazing things ever conceived.

By the time A/Z hit I was just like why even bother as I watched people go from thinking it was the mecha anime of a lifetime to hating it by the end and was literally just like "well what did you fucking expect?" It's like people enjoy getting led along by corporate hype mongering only to end up disappointed or entirely polarized over a series by the end. Stay tuned for the same shit to happen next season with Kiznaiver and Phoenix Wright, like not even a question, just book it.
>>
>>137749001
>madoka
>Shakespeare

0/10
>>
>>137749145
Hidamari Sketch
The better Ume Aoki show
>>
>>137749226
Shakespeare is 0/10
>>
>>137749001
I just didn't like the style, same reason I hated Hidamari Sketch.
>>
>>137749145
Why does Madoka deserve to be in your top 3?
>>
Fate franchise, but that may not be entirely VN/anime's fault as much as the fanbase's fault.
It's still pretty bad though, aside from the Zero/UBW production values.
>>
>>137749222

>Sword Art Online
>Mekaku City Actors
>Angel Beats
>Guilty Crown
>Magi
>Your Lie In April
>Welcome To The Space Show
>Valvrave
>OreImo
>Gate
>Asterisk Shit
>Robotic;Notes

If the genre is sci-fi especially then guarantee it getting more than it's share of buzz and ending up absolute shit in the end.
>>
>>137749393

It is peerless in its execution of the psychological genre and features compelling characters, was visually and aurally extremely pleasing and was very successful in its execution of drama elements without being heavy-handed. The climax/resolution phase was a bit muddled, but not botched.
>>
File: 1410462632802.jpg (101KB, 474x492px) Image search: [Google]
1410462632802.jpg
101KB, 474x492px
>>137743394
Dagashi Kashi
Girls Und Panzer
Yuru Yuri
Amagi Brilliant Park
K-ON
The Idolmaster
>>
>>137749564
>Amagi Brilliant Park
>popular
>>
>>137749564

Amagi Brilliant Park is popular? I just now heard of it like a week ago.
>>
>>137749439
>Fate franchise, but that may not be entirely VN/anime's fault as much as the fanbase's fault.

Why is it so hard to just ignore people who like things?

Anime itself has the most cancerous fanbase of anything that has ever existed. I'd rather associate with people who watch The View.
>>
>>137749393
I'm sure it's his top 3 are at least better than the other 7 anime he's seen.
>>
>>137749584
>>137749594
I thought it meant popular on /a/
>>
>>137749527
The characters in Madoka are far and away the weakest feature of the show and it fails as a psychological show because of that.
>>
>>137749629
>Amagi brilliant park
>porpular on /a/

what?
>>
>>137749515
Only two, maybe three, of the shows you named are actually popular.
>>
>>137749660
>madoka/homura (they are symbiotic for the purposes of the narrative)
>Kyubey
>Mami

Nope, that list looks pretty fucking good to me. Batting .400 still means you're the best player in the league.
>>
>>137743564
I don't think Jojo is for hipsters but, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

>Jojo
>TTGL
>Attack on Titan
>Kill la Kill
>FLCL

I enjoyed all of these for the stupid fun that they entailed but I have no interest in watching any of them again. And yes, I understood the deeper meaning behind FLCL, but so what?

>>137743592
I was interested in Dimension W from the word go (I have yet to read the manga) but after the first two episodes when I got a feel for Kyoma and Mira and wound up hating the former and loving the latter I didn't enjoy it so much anymore. Today's episode was at least interesting and makes me want to continue on further.

As for getting back on topic for the thread:
As I get older, I like Diebuster less and less, even as I realize that a lot of people like it, some who even like it more than Gunbuster. I like Nono and Lal-C, but those are the only good things about series aside from the music.

Akame ga Kill
This show is garbage and I don't understand why everyone was so impressed with this show. Did they not watch any OVAs from the late 80's and 90's? I suppose I really don't have the right to bash anyone for liking it though because I seriously like Tokyo Ghoul ( haven't read the manga) and Knights of Sidonia (dat manga ending, man).

Katanagatari/Monogatari series
I am conflicted about these shows. I like the plots, I like the characters, the music, and the visuals, but goddamn all of that fucking talking - and this is from someone who has no problem with listening to GiTS and LoGH characters rambling all day.

Kekkai Sensen
I liked the White and Black side story, the music, and the visuals, but what else was there to this this show, really? Everything else was poorly done from the fight scenes to the characterization. When I only care about some characters that don't even exist in the manga more than the main ones that's a problem.
>>
>>137744364
>SnK is pretty decent.
HAHAHA, no.
>>
Nothing, really

I mean, sure, I don't enjoy knowing that F grade and 6/10 shows tend to always be more popular than good ones, but shows like that still typically have creative merits of their own, even if they aren't well grasped by their creators/adapters, and can help lead you to the more interesting source material/inspiring work. Even a complete shitshow is occasionally worth sitting through just to try and grasp what kind of half-assed creative vision a bunch of starving animators were forced to put to paper
>>
>>137749601

I swear it didn't always used to be quite this bad but nowadays it's probably worse than even the whiny video game community. Twitter, the ability for producers to market their products more directly and what seems like an influx of just rock stupid braindead people who never know what the fuck they are talking about and just follow whatever is hyped rather than finding their own shit to enjoy in the last few years has really done a number on it though. Anime fanbase always had it's problems but it was never quite this bad before 2012-2013 or so.
>>
>>137748942
>>137749222

Both of you fucking get this. I'm proud.
>>
>>137749601
>Why is it so hard to just ignore people who like things?

Because can't stay contained. Whenever there was an anime adaptation airing they would be shitting up the board with a dozen redundant threads at any given time. The kind of discussion their threads foster is the lowest shit too, half of it is arguing powerlevels and the other half is shitting on secondaries because they've read one VN that's been translated for years. They are a cancer unlike pretty much any other fan base I can think of and I'm actually thankful /vg/ exists now because if their garbage spinoff mobage wasn't contained there you can sure as hell bet it would be here.
>>
Evangelion
Akira
>>
One Piece.
>>
File: 1441339003288.png (129KB, 581x443px) Image search: [Google]
1441339003288.png
129KB, 581x443px
>>137749666
9 out of the ten times that I have visited this board I have seen this cunt on the first page.
Sure I get it, generic unrealistic cute anime girl, but the show is so abysmal and boring and unfunny.
In fact, most of the anime that /a/ talks about most of the time is shit, and I'm sure most people agree with that.
I'm probably pretty normie because the only SOL or Comedy series that I have really really enjoyed was Nichijou, and also a little Kill Me Baby. I try to watch shows like Non Non Biyori and K-ON and I just end up feeling embarrassed and weird.
At least Nichijou is well thought out and most of the time well executed, and the jokes aren't stale and fucking boring. Who the fuck does SOL even appeal to in the real world? Or is it just sad out of touch people trying to escape reality?
Ghost in the Shell, Berserk, Akira, Jin-Roh, Evangelion(to an extent I guess), all of these shows are popular for the reason that they actually posses content and depth. Where is the depth and entertainment in a show like fucking Yuru Yuri?
What the fuck man
>>
>>137749805

Most people neither watch OVA's nor anything from the 80's and just follow seasonal hype that will appear on Crunchyroll. It definitely has that 80's OVA grimderp flair to it albeit with more modern moeish design aesthetic rather than muscle bound dudes in shades and butch looking women.
>>
>>137749766
Madoka is a literally nothing character, you just threw her in as an excuse to make the cast look less pathetic.
Homura is extremely uninteresting due to her unreasonable single-mindedness. She's a character that functions well in the story (they all do) but she isn't a good character in her own right.
Kyubey is a generic "perfectly logical" not-quite bad guy. Again, he functions well enough as a pseudo-antagonist but he doesn't function on his own as a character.
Mami is the only decent character you mention here. She seems to have some level of conflicting motives and interests and has a decent arc. Too bad all of her development is done 10 minutes before she's used as a shock device and dies.
>>
File: 1436066605190.gif (2MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1436066605190.gif
2MB, 500x500px
>>137749974
When I said "this cunt" I meant Sento or whatever her name is
>>
Madoka Magica
Death Parade

Indeed buzzwords will be used because I have ranted about both too many times to count and I already wrote a wall of text about others earlier.

Both are overrated and overhyped.

Good OPs, beautiful animation/artwork, and "deconstructionlol" do not a good anime make. Death Billiards should have been left as just that. Madoka Magica is a poor "deconstruction" of anything, really. Technically Sailor Moon is a deconstruction of the magical girl genre and Yuuki Yuuna would have been a knock out of the park if it weren't for that damn ending.
>>
>>137749001
>Equating Madoka to Shakespeare

I don't even
>>
>>137749805

That's cause when GiTS and LoGH characters have those long discussions it actually serves a purpose rather than just to fill time with puns and wink/nod banter. Even the episode where Julian just sits and watches a historical documentary about Kaiser Rudolph for literally the entire episode served a very valid purpose and was interesting, Monogatari it's just like "Oh so your name has how many syllables Arararararagi-san? Let us sit for half this episode and get to the bottom of this while the camera spazzes out around us" to the apparent critical acclaim of the masses.
>>
>>137749805
Akame ga Kill went from being a grimderp action comedy manga to being full fucking grimderp FIGHT THE POWER nonsense with generic anime padding. The complete lack of budget and the killcam slowmo bullshit completely killed it.
>>
There's only one series I absolutely loathe that's popular, and that's Gurren Lagann. Everyone circlejerking over Simon and Kamina when their characters fall flat (or die) once they actually become interesting, and the side characters who are just there to combine with Lagann.
"Muh hype" doesn't replace an actual good narrative or characters.
Also fuck Nia and her terrible voice acting.
It reminds me of those terrible transformer movies with Linkin Park insert songs.
>>
>>137750006
>Madoka is a literally nothing character, you just threw her in as an excuse to make the cast look less pathetic.

Her inclusion with Homura is necessary.

>Homura is extremely uninteresting due to her unreasonable single-mindedness

She's a character that effectively conveys the chilling nature of the show. She has at least two major arcs over the course of the narrative, both of which effectively convey and reflect the themes.

>She's a character that functions well in the story (they all do) but she isn't a good character in her own right.

Completely asinine statement.

>Kyubey is a generic "perfectly logical" not-quite bad guy. Again, he functions well enough as a pseudo-antagonist but he doesn't function on his own as a character.

The development of the story changes your perception of his character. The effect in this instance is on the viewer (if not the character themselves). That's an effective character arc.

>Too bad all of her development is done 10 minutes before she's used as a shock device and dies.

She's actually the worst one on the list. Something tells me your criterion for 'good character' is less 'compelling, gripping arcs' and more 'waifu or go homu'.
>>
>>137749974
>>137750018

Are you sure you're talking about /a/? Because Amagi Brilliant park isn't popular here, maybe some of the girls are, but the show definetily isn't, and I can't remember the last time I saw an Amagami thread outside the few threads that took place when it aired.
>>
>>137749985
>Most people neither watch OVA's nor anything from the 80's and just follow seasonal hype that will appear on Crunchyroll.

This must be the case then because when I got around to watching shows like Elfen Lied, Akame ga Kill, Bynrhildr, and other newer shows that are similar I just shrugged my shoulders.

For the people out there who were impressed by that blood and gore and grimdark, I will just say this: after you have seen/read crazy fucked up shit like M.D. Geist, Psycho Diver, Genocyber, Black Lion, Koroshiya, and Freesia the shit they push these days is tame in comparison. That just might be me.
>>
>>137749872

I thought I was the only one but at the same time also figured how can more people just not see it considering it happens literally every season now. It's to the point where it feels like shows by other producers can barely get an edge in on viewership and any sort of acknowledgement no matter how good they are or how much effort the production team puts in (Rakugo comes to mind this season in particular) and it's just fucking sad to see an entire industry just practically get bought out by one companies interests like this and the fanbase be so complicit in and even actively allowing it to happen without so much as a murmur of discontent or even awareness of what's been going on. When people wonder why there's such a creative dearth in anime, why everything is so expensive now, and why anime seems to kind of be dying and turning into just pure uninspired cash grab ideas season after season it doesn't seem as much of a mystery to me as it does to others.

It's not like they never come out with anything good ever, but it's pretty much guaranteed to be massively overrated and overblown whatever it is, kind of like Erased has been this season. I just look at it and it's like okay this is a pretty decent watch in a season with a number of watchable shows I can count on one hand but like have people just never seen any sort of J-Drama in their lives cause it's pretty damn cliche and predictable in a lot of key areas.
>>
>>137750357

Well Elfen Lied and Brynhildr are by the same creator so there's little surprise there. Personally my favorite bad overly violent OVA is Angel Cop, specifically the English dub of it by Manga Entertainment who were part of the first wave to try to push anime as mature ultra dark totally not kids stuff from Japan resulting in them adding enough F-Bombs to it to qualify for the all time list if it were to get counted. Sadly they took out the ridiculous bits from the Japanese script about Jewish conspiracies to undermine the glorious Japanese enterprise of the 80's that only a paranoid xenophobe like Shou Aikawa could have come up with.
>>
>I need to be pretentious to justify my shit taste
Holy fuck, can't people just say "I didn't like it".
>>
>>137749083
I put it in the past tense because I dropped it.
>>
>>137750600
For anime? Some faggots need to justify liking chinise cartoons by stating pretentious shit in order to look mature and not feel like they're enjoyig kid stuff.
>>
>>137750292
Not the other guy you were replying to but I will take a shot at this:

>Madoka
>Her inclusion with Homura is necessary

Character needed only for the sake of the plot. She is nothing without Homura even in the flashback when she did indeed have some semblance of a personality.

>A character that effectively conveys the chilling nature of the show

Mysterious and unknowable just as the rest of the show, but then when you do find out more about both it's a bit of a let down, so I guess this is true. Homura has a one-track mind, hell bent on meeting Madoka again and redoing everything not realize that she is making things worse (or better depending on how you look at it) and becoming extremely unlikable as things spiral downhill while the story takes the theme of 'be careful of what you wish for" to extreme, almost pathetic levels.

>Madoka wanted to save a cat
Winds up dying and being entrapped in a web of time and is slowly losing the bits of personality she once had but winds up making the ultimate wish at the end supposedly saving everything.
>Homura wanted to meet Madoka again and help her
See above, although she decides to take things into her own hands like she did in the movie and if and when there is a sequel it is clear that she will be seen as an enemy. She took things too damn far.
>Mami wanted to save herself from death
Dies a pathetic death for shock value
>Kyoko wanted to help her father for religious reasons
Loses her family and her home, winds up dying for a girl she barely knows and at one time wanted to kill and gave no concrete reason as to why. Suddenly she's a lesbian in love. Blech.
>Sayaka wanted to help her guy friend play the violin again
Loses both her chances with the guy and her own life due to her own stupid, misguided decisions and beliefs on the way things were at the time.
>>
>>137750292
An effective arc is only one part of a character, and honestly it's one of the less necessary ones. For me, what makes a character good is how much they seem like a real person. How much their actions seem like a product of who and what they are rather than a convenience for the continuation of the plot.

Your insistence of Madoka being included as a necessary part of Homura is a perfect example of why Madoka's characters don't work. If you remove Madoka from the story, Homura is literally nothing. Everything Homura does is for Madoka. Everything Homura does revolves around Madoka. If Madoka doesn't exist, Homura has no identity or motivations.

This is not how you build a good character. When you build a character like this, you have no idea who they actually are as a person. What their quirks are, what they care about, how they interact with other people, etc. Therefore, the only thing they can do is take action to progress the plot, and therefore become primarily plot devices rather than characters.

Your argument for Kyubey makes no sense to me. As far as I can tell you're trying to argue that expositing the setting makes a character good.
>>
File: 1436661960225.jpg (35KB, 385x375px) Image search: [Google]
1436661960225.jpg
35KB, 385x375px
>>137743394
SNAFU season two was the worst anime I have ever seen and the only anime I regret not dropping. And I usually have pretty low standards - I watch like thirty anime a season and never drop anything, and I even find stuff everyone else despises like Denpa Kyoushi enjoyable.

I liked the first season like everyone else but the second one was irredeemable garbage. Literally everything about it was terrible. If a family member told me they liked it I would literally try to get them institutionalized.
>>
>>137750696
>>137750709

>two long, pseudo-intellectual walls of text

yeah, no
>>
File: hipsterfag.jpg (43KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
hipsterfag.jpg
43KB, 640x370px
Harem shit

Generic cute girls doing cute things/moeshit

Almost anything that prominently features a high school, especially if it happens to be a "magic high school"

That said, I guess this is all pretty low-hanging fruit. Actually, this entire thread will probably be hipster f/a/ggots picking out low-hanging fruit.
>>
>>137750357
>That just might be me.
It's definitely not just you. There's just something really visceral about the blood/gore in a lot of 80s anime that modern anime fails to live up to.
>>
Naruto, One Piece, Bleach. Dragonball Z Super.
>>
File: 1451747598234.png (176KB, 494x468px) Image search: [Google]
1451747598234.png
176KB, 494x468px
>>137750757
>Gets mad when his text wall is responded to with a wall of text
Truly Madokafags are the most cancerous and delusional of all showfags.
>>
>>137743394
>Fate Stay/Night
I was literally falling asleep watching this and I can watch stuff like .Hack and other talkative anime. I also hate how there are so many possible characters that can be servants yet they keep using the same obes which get suoer boring.

>One Punch Man
the first 3 episodes felt super repetitive despite the amazing animations that i had to drop it.

>Sword Art Online
Just fuck the second half, how anyone can still like it after that is beyond me
>>
>>137749805
Katanagatari and Monogatari aren't related in anyway. They're two completely different series.
>>
>>137749805
>Katanagatari/Monogatari series
I love the dialogue in Monogatari, loathe it in Katanagatari. Maybe Nisio just was a little wittier or cleverer with Monogatari, but mostly I think his dialogue is much more suited to a series so focused on relationships. Katanagatari has too much action and the dialogue during it was atrocious, it wasn't any more interesting to listen to than typical battle shounen smack talk. The antagonists were boring as fuck to listen to in particular.
>>
>>137750292
>Homura
>Not a good character in her own right
>Asinine statement

But she is not a good character in her own right. She's very badly written one that I am supposed to feel sorry for when I am absolutely not. She's a lonely, clingy girl who grabs at the smallest scraps of attention that one girl gives her and decides that she's going to fight tooth and nail for her for the rest of her life. Obsessively in love and crazy but there is nothing else to her. Those are the only things that define her.

>Kyubey
>The development of the story changes your perception of his character

It is true that my perception of him definitely did change but there was nothing dynamic about that change. There was a character arc, but not as effective as you might think and I feel like that is an exaggeration. He was shady from the start but we all gave him a shot and felt like he was only being helpful, but then as things got darker, his expression never changed but his words did. Almost in a "well what did you expect?" type of way. I thought, "okay well that only proved me right, fuck this guy".

A much better "villain" with an effective character arc would be Adrian Rubinsky from LoGH. Kyubey is more like Job Trunicht.
>>
>>137750504
I totally forgot about fucking Angel Cop. Another perfect example right there.
>>
>>137750600
The shit?

The funny thing about your statement is that when you DO say that you don't like someone, people want more details as to why or else you get bashed.

Explaining why you didn't like something, listing examples of better shows and what not has nothing to do with pretentiousness.
>>
>>137750950
I am aware but I decided to lump them in together because they have a similar feel. Come on now, that should have been gathered from just reading the post fully and making the mental connection.
>>
/a/ hates literally every popular show. It's just the board culture.
>>
fairy fucking tail

jesus fucking christ what an absolute abomination and its viewed on the same level as the endless one piece, bleach, or narutos.
>>
>>137751166
>>137750950
They have the same writer, of course they're linked together
>>
>>137750970
>Katanagatari has too much action
Kindly disagree here.

>Antagonists were boring as fuck
Definitely agree.
>>
>>137743394
What the fuck are you talking about.

Gate is a masterpiece. Have you ever seen an anime that mixes fantasy and modern genres? Stop hating on people being innovative.
>>
>>137750696

Honestly while people went ballastic over the arc that revealed Homura's backstory it was probably my least favorite arc of the whole show cause it was just so goddamn typical and by the time the movie came around was practically retroactively made a perfect example on how not to develop a character for literature and film school profs to use an example.

Homura's development is essentially taking a character from one extreme, showing how she came to that point from the opposite extreme at a rapid fire cliff notes pace cause the show only had a couple episodes left and then taking her back to even well beyond that extreme in the span of about 2 hours worth of content if you count episode 10 through to movie 3 and then just cutting everything off without any sort of resolution or proper explanation on what the fuck just happened.

Her character arc makes among the least sense and is just so all over the place for a character as popular and acclaimed as Homura is as any I've ever seen really. Basically either you're one of those fanboys that is more than willing to fill in all the blanks in her extreme characterization that Gen Urobuchi didn't or wouldn't because he seemingly can't write natural character arcs from scratch on his own to save his life or you just kind of shrug and say whatever like I did by the end and be done with it. Basically about the only part the guy got right particularly with the movie is that people would be incredibly polarized over it which I just see as corporate speak for "Yeah I know this is absolute shit character development writing done for pure shock value and an insult to everyone that was invested in the character and her arc up to this point but please try to see past it or come up with your own reasoning for it".
>>
>>137753126

If you're going to bitch about literary standards you need to learn what a run-on sentence is first.
>>
>>137753126

Honestly I don't think my opinion of a writer has ever fallen as fast as it has with Urobuchi. I was never all over the guys gonads like practically the entire current generation of anime fans seem to be but I could at least sort of see where his stories were coming from on a thematic standpoint which some problems aside stories like Madoka Magica and Psycho Pass mostly held together on, but virtually everything I've seen from him since or even stuff that's been adapted from his novels like Fate/Zero has just featured the absolute stiffest most bland card board cut out personality characters in a clusterfuck of grimdark and fuck you twist moments towards the protagonists that don't seem to serve any sort of purpose other than to stick it to them and the viewers for shock value.

It also seems like he's totally content to just coast on these gimmicks and his inflated reputation now and doesn't give a shit if his stories make any particular sense, hold together, or deliver on any sort of thematic sense of purpose or feature anything resembling character development like his past few movie projects have and you're lucky if they don't outright contradict themselves at key intervals. Not only do I not think he's all that good a writer anymore, I'm starting to suspect he might actually just be yet another bad style over substance anime writer/creator period that got really fucking lucky a couple of times early in his anime scriptwriting career ala M. Night Shymalan with Sixth Sense and Unbreakable.
>>
>>137743394
Monogatari, mostly because it was boring and partly because of the hair mutilation.
>>
>>137743394
Nagi no Asukara.
Too much melodrama.
>>
>>137753794

>a clusterfuck of grimdark and fuck you twist moments towards the protagonists that don't seem to serve any sort of purpose other than to stick it to them and the viewers for shock value.

What, so it's okay for good things to happen to characters just because, but it's not okay for the opposite to happen? Sounds like you're just a big baby that can't stand adversity.
>>
Monogatari series was excruciating.

I have no idea how something with such great style can be so boring. Each episode took me at least an hour to finish, so easy to seek distractions outside of viewing.
>>
barakamon. cant see for the life of me why people like that show. every character is a shit and it's preachy af.
>>
>>137753984
Where does that anon suggest it's okay for good things to happen "just because?"
>>
File: 1211448_1367274630419_full.png (711KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1211448_1367274630419_full.png
711KB, 1280x720px
One piece
>>
Gurren Lagann
Tokyo Ghoul
Madoka
Post-Bake Monogatari

The sad part is, my 18 year old weeb sister likes all of those, and I constantly shit on her for it. I'm 26
>>
>>137749899
And you don't have to go into those threads. Wow, so fucking simple.
>>
Monogatari has some interesting character designs, but the dialogue is cringey, and all the jump cuts are annoying. I also stopped liking/caring about Araragi about 15 episodes in.
>>
File: 03.jpg (476KB, 1038x1520px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
476KB, 1038x1520px
>>137754162
Sometimes I wish my sister was a weeb. But no casual normi as it gets, typical spic boyfriend too.
>>
File: 1454589223214.png (56KB, 378x375px) Image search: [Google]
1454589223214.png
56KB, 378x375px
>>137754330
Is this porn? it looks like porn. And Im not in a place where I could look safely.
>>
>>137754121

That's what happens 90% of the time otherwise.
I guarantee he likes something that, despite his own logic, he doesn't criticize simply because it's a happy thing rather than an unhappy thing.
>>
>>137754404
>upskirt
It's porn
>>137754330
It's ok because we share common interests, at least. She's really introverted. I'm not.
>>
>>137754404
It's porn.
>>
>>137753794

>fuck you twist moments towards the protagonists that don't seem to serve any sort of purpose other than to stick it to them and the viewers for shock value.

What Urobuchi works are you thinking of here? Give me some specifics.
>>
>>137754121

I didn't he's just putting words in my mouth for the sake of making a limp-wristed contrarian strawman argument like /a/ always does to people.
>>
>>137754302

It took a long long LONG time but it's kind of vindicating to see ever increasing amounts of people see Monogatari and especially it's attempts at compelling dialogue the way I saw it.
>>
>>137743394
One Piece is the only shonen worth watching and even then it's borderline.
>>
>>137743394
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hunter X Hunter
One Punch Man

The thing is I really like something else that each of the mangaka have done; Silver Spoon, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Eyeshield 21 (Yes I know Murata is the only artist but I don't like Mob Psycho either) are all in my top 30 or so manga.
>>
Tumblr Ghoul
>>
>>137743394
Code Geass's art style looks like ass, and the story sounds like pretentious Doctor Who shit.
>>
>>137748942
>>137749222

/thread honestly. That about covers 80%+ of what's going to get mentioned here and pretty much covers all the obvious reasons why. I don't know how anyone could even stand them or there shows at this point after so many repeat offenses unless they literally just care about the hype factor and not what comes after or whether any of it is worth the time commitment which typically it isn't.
>>
Anything Type-Moon.

They. Just. Don't. Stop. TALKING.
>>
File: Gintama.jpg (153KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Gintama.jpg
153KB, 640x360px
I seriously tried to like Gintama but I get bored, I know it should be really funny but I just can't get in the mood, I even feel guilty about it
>>
>>137749222
>it's like literally
>Literally just
>I was just like
>was literally just like
>like not even
Hello tumblr.
>>
>>137743394
Aldnoah Zero. Inaho/Slaine is the worst fujo pairing I've seen in years, too.
>>
>>137743394
Nisekoi.

I tried it out when it came out because I really liked Komi's older series that got cancelled. Was utterly disappointed, and then it goes on to be a fucking goldmine. I'm still asspained about it to this day.
>>
File: Tokyo Ghoul WEG.png (807KB, 1100x500px) Image search: [Google]
Tokyo Ghoul WEG.png
807KB, 1100x500px
>>137743394
One Joke Meme
Tokyo Ghoul
>>
>>137752100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poes_law
>>
ITT: plebs
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.