[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /a/, how do I get into Digimon? What do I watch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: 1.jpg (272KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
272KB, 1600x900px
Alright /a/, how do I get into Digimon? What do I watch?
>>
>>137742291
1 2 and the move

Then video games

not that hard you faggot.
>>
Just fuckin watch it
>>
Watch 1, if you're a masochist watch 2, definitely watch 3
>>
>>137742291
You must watch season 1. You must watch season 3. 3 is objectively the best season and you need to watch 1 just because it's the first while being decent as well.
>>
File: 1440524107586.jpg (24KB, 240x219px) Image search: [Google]
1440524107586.jpg
24KB, 240x219px
>>137742291
you watch digimon
duh
>>
The order I recommend is :
The movie with Parrotmon
Adventure
Children's War Game (the Diaboromon movie)
02 should only be watched for bantz
Tamers
Frontier, Savers and Xros Wars are all decent but not as good as Tamers or Adventure
>>
File: best_season.jpg (194KB, 423x1700px) Image search: [Google]
best_season.jpg
194KB, 423x1700px
>>137742291
Seasons 1 and 3 are good, 2 and 4 are bad, 5 and 6 are okay, 6.5 is total shit, 7 isn't done yet, and almost none of the movies matter, with OWG being the only essential one.
Avoid all English dubs, but German and Spanish dubs are fine.
>>
>>137742291
Didn't the very first movie (The 20 minute Jap one, not the bundled together English version) come out right before the first TV season?
>>
>>137745367
The first movie is definitely worth watching too, it's great.
>>
>>137742291
Do you own a PS4?
>>
>>137745815
>male
>>
So it's still an ongoing show? It's not different series like Yu-Gi-Oh?
>>
>>137747195
It used to be like Yugioh, but the only direct sequels are the first 2.
In Season 3 season 1 and 2 are tv shows for example so it is happening in a completely different universe.
There is no season ongoing right now, but there is a movie series that are sequels to the original shows ongoing.
>>
You just start watching my man.
Dont listen to all the homos saying season x is bad, just go with the flow and find out yourself
>>
>>137742291
Just keep going until you run out of weed
>>
>>137748333
So should I watch season 1 and 2, then the movies, then 3 and I guess the others? Really, what order should I watch what in? Should I watch them in English or Japanese with subtitles? What did they change in the localization?
>>
>>137748840
How can tou be such an indecisive faggot. Just go with the release order.
Stop being a little prick and make decisions on your own
>>
>>137744973
This, but the Parrotmon OVA could be watched after Adventure.
>>
>>137748840
Jap definitely.
To be completely honest I liked every season, but if you want to skip seasons skip 2, 4 and 6.5, because they are considered to be the worst in the series, the best are if you are curious 1 and 3.
The movies you should watch are the original digimon movie before you start with season 1 and Our war game after you are done with season 1, because they are canon to season 1 and 2.
If you are going to watch season 2 and you liked it like me, watch the movie diablomon strikes.
Also the finale of season 6.5 is a massive crossover episode so you can watch that if you are interested.

Also 1 and 3
>>
>>137749416
Alright, thanks man. I remember the original Digimon movie in English, is that parasite thing Diablomon?
>>
>>137749958
That is a movie that happens after the ending of season 3, but it is debateble that it is canon or not.
>>
>>137742291
>1 is gud
>/a/ says 2 is shit, so it's shit
>3 is gud
>4 is bearable
>5 is digimon with sentai, gotta be gud
>6 is debatable
>the tri movies are their own plot with formor characters back, but they're not all out yet
Watch 1 and Tamers. Then the first Tri movie and wait for the rest. U less you start thinking Digimon is shit.
>>
>>137750075
Isn't the English version also a combination of different movies with other stuff removed too?
>>
>>137750202
4 is digimon with sentai.
5 is digimon with guy punching digimon.
>>
>>137750252
I never watched the english version so I wouldn't know.
>>
>>137745643

YOU RUN AROUND

I RUN AROUND

WE'RE ALL GONNA RUN RUN RUN AROUND
>>
Speaking for myself here: adventure>frontier>tamers.
>>
>>137750430
I like frontier too but Tamers is definitely the best of the bucnh.
>>
>>137745367
How dare you. Frontier was fun.
>>
>>137749958
The English version is a combination of 3 movies. The first one Digimon Adventure Movie is a 20 minute prequel to Adventure 01 which came out just before 01 aired, the second is Bokura no War Game which is the Diablomon movie and a sequel to 01. The third is Digimon Adventure 02 Movie which might be in two parts depending on the release, it's no where near as good as the first two it's not directed by Hosoda.
>>
>>137748840
Stay away of the dub
Stay FAR FAR away from the "Digimon Movie" Fox made, its 3 unrelated Digimon films that have nothing to do with each other fused together with loads of exposition dialog from one of the characters acting as narrator, also Angelamon and shitty muriccan licensed music, because kids back than just loved Smashing Pumpkins right?
>>
>>137750252
Its the original Digimon Movie plus Our War Game and one of the movies from the second season, Hurricane Touchdown IIRC
The original Digimon movie was just Toei playing with the idea of digimon, it was also the only digimon Media done in traditional animation, the first season was Toei's first digitally animated production
Our War Game takes place after the first season ends and its a pretty good movie on its on, so good the director remade it without the Digimon License when he did Summer Wars
Hurricane Touchdown is... ok I guess
The problem with the Digimon The Movie, the American version, is that they try to make the plot of Hurricane Touchdown fit on the other two films and it really doesn't work
They also try to plug in Angela Anaconda, some Canadian kids show Fox owned when they still had the rights to the American distribution of digimon, so every time you start the "movie" you get 15min of angela anaconda and her awful humor and animation at the start
Also, shitty soundtrack, all the original japanese score is replaced with licensed music that just does not fit with the movie
and the final nail in the coffin, all the 3 movies had a run time of 40min to 1 hour and 30min, the Digimon The Movie is around one 1 hour and 45min long, meaning a lot of the 3 movies got chopped and edited out to fit the American movie
>>
>>137750604
>>137750604
Tamers was the last I completed watching and, while I know it is just a cartoon for children, It had things that made my autism juices boil:
>If they made digimon a card game, why not expand more on the game and the battle rules? The lack of explanation of the game makes it pointless imo.
>Why make the other 2 kids and Henry's sister tamers if they aren't going to have any development? Also, Juri becoming a tamer was just to make Leomon's death more meaningful? She barelly made anything usefull in any fight.
>Among the main 3 only Rika had a noticeable development as a character. Takato slightly less, and Henry almost none.
>Terriermon striked me as a kinda useless fella all the show.
>The evolutions of the main cast where kinda meh compared to adventure.
>The misterious girl that apeared with dobermon? For what reason was she introduced?
Those are the some of the reasons I remember of the top of my head.
Frontier on the other hand I liked the cast a lot more. As the show advanced you could notice how they developed. The only thing frontier lacked (and I guess the main reason it is seen as the worst season) was digimon companions.
>>
>>137751466
>all the 3 movies had a run time of 40min to 1 hour and 30min, the Digimon The Movie is around one 1 hour and 45min long
The originals all together are just over 2 hours
>>
>>137751577
>The misterious girl that apeared with dobermon? For what reason was she introduced?
Some kid won a digimon design contest in japan with Doberbon as his entry
Toei told Chiaki Konaka to put it in regardless if it would fit or not, so he made the digimon the partner of a kid who was the daughter of one of the guys who made digimon in the tamer universe and dobermon only show's up to deliver a program so they can get to mega level outside of the digiworld

Really a lot of tamer's problem can be summarized as "Because the big wigs wanted it in"
Card games? because it was popular back then and Bandai was starting with the digimon TCG
More tamers? because it appeal more to kids
However Juri is only there to suffer, yes, she was also painted as a pacifist, this is a plot point you missed, anon
At the start they focus more on takato because he is a whimp and has touble keeping his pet dinossour in check, he goes though the standard MC character act, start as awimp ends ends as a champion
Rika and Impmon get the spotlight after that along with Juri in between the lines
Henry kinda starts but it gets resolved quite fast and his motivation was the same as Takato for a bit, so it was kinda pointless
Terriermon was the tutorial gear, usefull at the start but not o much as the series goes on, after every ne gets perfect forms he is severely down played
As designs goes, Guilmon's line is still one of the best in the shows, Terriermon's only down side is its perfect form and the same goes to renamon, its like they spent all their design bucks on Metal Growlmon and cheaped out on the other two, Rapidmon is not even a original digimon
Konaka wanted to make digimon a bit more serious but the constrains made by the big wigs and the fact it was still a kids show made his plot holes show up a lot more
>>
Saver>all
>>
fuck you dashiro
>>
what do the humans even bring to the battles i mean like swords?
>>
>>137752114
I feel like the only reason Savers was cool is because of the Royal Knights.
>>
>>137752426
Beast evolutions and the idea they couldn't control it at first was pretty good even if a bit dated
Though it only really paid off with Vidramon as trying to redo that trop 6 times for the whole cast got boring
Also Zoei's beast form was a fucking jobber and had less animation than her human form, not to mention it looked more human than her human form and less hot
>>
>>137750257
>savers
>not power rangers
Anon pls.
>>
>>137751107
In Digimon Adventure Movie, they're in the real world and really young right? And the little boy, Tai or whatever uses a whistle to wake up Greymon, right? I remember that scene making me almost sweat as a kid it was so intense for me at the time.
>>
>>137750719
Royal Fuckups made it pretty damn unfun and turned it into TUMBLING DOWN for the second half.
>>
>>137752096
>Juri was painted as a pacifist.
I surelly missed this. In most shows I've seen, a character is painted as a pacifist when he/she declines a duel, clearly stating they donĀ“t like to fight. I kinda maratoned the show, so I may have forgotten Juri stating she didn't want to fight.
I forgot about impmon, he was cool. They could allow him a complete redemption, but kinda half assed it.
About the other points, I mostly agree; however what I tried to point earlier was: is tamers really the best? and is frontier really that bad? imo: no and no.
>>
>>137750319
EEEEEEEEEEEET'S BEEN
>>
>>137753252
Yes, it's my favourite out of all the movies.
Also there's BD releases of the first season and it's movies, I don't know if there's any for the second.
>>
>>137753764
BD? You mean HD?
>>
>>137753800
Yes from the BDs that were released a while ago.
>>
>>137753618
They didn't half ass it beelzebumon now has first of king of beasts. Leomon's signature attack
It symbolizes his redemption and how leomon's spirit lives though beelzebumon
>>
Anyone else prefer some of the dub voices for the digimon? The jap Greymon and Angemon voices are too child-like.
>>
>>137754617
I think his redemption fell short as he could not rescue Juri in the end.
>>
>>137752395
The power of friendship

duh
>>
>>137742291
1, 3 and movies. Also play DW1 and the new games. That's it.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.