[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>There are people who claim to force themselves to watch anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 12

>There are people who claim to force themselves to watch anime they aren't enjoying.

Why do people do this to themselves? I don't understand this behavior. It seems really pointless especially if you don't get anything out of it in the end.
>>
>>137689916
Autism.
>>
It's for the promise that the show will get better by the x or y episode, see Gintama.
>>
File: 1453213259627.jpg (58KB, 409x361px) Image search: [Google]
1453213259627.jpg
58KB, 409x361px
I can't tell you how much shit I've watched because I kept telling myself: "It's okay, the ending is gonna be great and all will be forgiven because the conclusion will make up for everything."

I hope one day I'll realize my mistakes.
>>
>not watching terrible anime you hate with your friends and MST3K-ing the shit out of it.
Try it lads it's fun
>>
>>137689916
Oh but they do, they get to add +1 to their series watched on their ANN or MAL list, and then shitpost on /a/ about their amazing powerlevel.
>>
>>137689916
remind me of all that faggots who watched all SAO and said it was hot garbage and then watched SAO 2 to say it was even worse
>>
I forced myself to keep watching Charlotte because it kept on showing promise and I'd have been puzzling at how badly the wild ride trainwreck would be if I didn't keep watching.
>>
>>137692729
>friends
>>
File: Smile-peach-girl.jpg (167KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
Smile-peach-girl.jpg
167KB, 480x384px
Why not just watch anime that's great all the way through?
>>
>>137690354
>>137692766

I can confirm. This is the reason I do it.
>>
Literally autism.
Though if there are a couple episodes left I might as well finish it.
Besides, its much more fun to shit on something when you've actually watched it.
>>
File: 1446869234393.jpg (311KB, 1008x716px) Image search: [Google]
1446869234393.jpg
311KB, 1008x716px
Having watched a ton of shitty anime is a bad feeling, but having dropped them is even worst. You only win if you didn't start watching a show in the first place, but even then you have a lingering thought of "what if", and feel like you could be missing something.

In a way, all anime watchers are really only pseudo-masochists, compensating for their inability to bare the burden of everyday careerist life. Their life and direction may be depressingly lacklustre, their drive nonexistent, but at least they have the will to continue watching these shitty shows week after week, season after season, right? Or so they tell themselves. And no, I'm not projecting.
>>
File: Unsorted 574.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Unsorted 574.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
its an obligation, I need to keep up with anime culture
>>
>>137689916
I enjoy the act of watching anime, good or bad as long as they aren't bland and boring.
>>
>>137689916
Nah, anime I dont enjoy anime = gets dropped in seconds flat. Latest examples are boku dake and konosuba.
>>
File: anzu_smoke.jpg (20KB, 640x462px) Image search: [Google]
anzu_smoke.jpg
20KB, 640x462px
>>137689916
But I get to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end.
>>
>>137693191
What about Rakugo? Because you dropped 2 of the only 3 worthwhile shows this season.
>>
>>137689916
You never get anything out of the vast majority of anime either way you giant fagtard.
>>
>>137689916
I drop anime all the time, but if I finish a series I'm not enjoying it's because
>I hear it's good/gets better and I see potential in it
>It gets a lot of praise and I want to be 100% sure I hate it before I talk shit about it on /a/
>It's 'required watching' and too relevant to ignore
>I've already watched enough episodes that I may as well just finish it
>I'm attracted to some of the characters and just want to look at them
>>
i dropped cowboy beebop six episodes in. didn't have enough substance to keep me interested.
>>
>>137693376
>It's 'required watching' and too relevant to ignore
Such as?
>>
I generally watch 40-50 shows a season and only enjoy about 20-30 of them. But if I only picked up shows that sound interesting based on the summary alone it would drop down to 10 or less and I'd miss out on some good shit.
>>
>>137693260
Didnt even bother with that, very few times I have seen a premise so unappealing in anime

>konosuba
>boku dake
>only worthwhile
meme'd
>>
>>137690465

Kind of apropos the OP pic, watched the Disappearance telling myself it would get better and there would be a great reveal showing how the whole lovey-dovey SoL shit was just an epic ruse. Gave up on that by episode 4 or so.
>>
>>137693260
>Boku Dake ga NTR
>worthwhile
>>
>>137693081

>anime
>culture

pick ichi.
>>
>>137693457
Well for example, Cowboy Bebop bored the shit out of me because I don't like episodic action series, but it's just one of those shows you have to watch.
>>
>>137693603
Do you watch anime for all waking hours?
>>
>>137693457

SnK, SAO and Psycho Pass was like that for me.
>>
>>137693776
Not really, its essential if you want to talk to normalfag western anime watchers, but it wasnt massively relevant in Japan
>>
>>137693816
No shit, but I'm an english speaking westerner on an english speaking western board.
>>
>>137693625
>judging a show on its synopsis
Your loss.
>>137693736
There's nothing better this season besides the two mentioned above. You can't even list one single show that's objectively better, because it's simply not airing.
>>
File: PK.jpg (311KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PK.jpg
311KB, 1600x1200px
I have a pretty high tolerance for bad anime. I don't believe someone can provide fair critique of something without giving something a decent shot.

Princess Tutu would have been an anime that I would have probably dropped if I didn't have this trait. The first arc I found was too similar to Cardcaptor Sakura and it wasn't as good as it had done it.

Thankfully, I kept with it and it probably become one of my favourite animes, even though I'm not too fond of the genre for the most part.

To me, one of the most enjoyable aspects of a medium - be it an anime, movie, TV series, or book - is going into something with very low expectations, expecting it to be crap, and finding out that it completely exceeded your expectations.

I think I prefer these to mediums that are just overall decent.
>>
>>137693859
Nobody on /a/ ever talks about it though.
>>
>>137693795
50 shows a season is only 20 hours a week. That's less than 3 hours a day. And that's assuming they're all full length episodes and no shorts.

If you can't even spare a few hours a day on your hobby you live a very sad life.
>>
>>137693882
>muh opinions are objective
You already lost, hipster.
>>
>>137693859

>implying we're not all cute Nipponese little girls

FUCK OFF GAIJIN
>>
>>137693882
There's a Kyoani show airing, anon. The sheer talent in direction and animation makes it miles ahead of all anime so its automatically AOTS every season.
>>
File: Unsorted 572.png (805KB, 827x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Unsorted 572.png
805KB, 827x1169px
>not being such a worthless piece of shit that summoning the motivation to watch an ENTIRE anime is a big accomplishment

plebs
>>
>>137694114
If you haven't watched enough anime to feel like this then you shouldn't post here desu
>>
>>137693964
>If you can't even spare a few hours a day on your hobby you live a very sad life.
But if you spend every free waking hour on one single "hobby", I'd say you live a one-sided sad life also. Add in cooking, exercise, etc, and free time becomes sparse. And you're forgetting shitposting and discussion, which can turn a single episode into an hour or more timesink.
>>
>>137694114
It's rare I choose to watch a show that's longer than 12 episodes and it's just as rare I finish a show that's 12 episodes. No matter how good a show is "I'll just watch one episode for now".
>>
>>137694114
You mean an entire episode right? I just marathoned one and its exausting.
>>
>>137694235
Enough with the normalfag advice,retard.
>>
>>137693191
>Nah, anime I dont enjoy anime = gets dropped in seconds flat.
>Latest examples are.....
>konosuba.

you cannot be serious in dropping that...
>>
>>137692662
>watching anime for the endings
>>
>>137694235
>exercising
heres your reply
>>
Dagashi Kashi is obnoxious, stupid, unfunny, badly directed, etc.

It's a complete waste of my time in every way. Hotaru is infuriating, her stupid dumb crosseyes and obnoxious one-note retard personality when she dominates every scene to scream about candy is unbearable, makes me want to shoot myself

But then you have coconuts, his friends, his dad, and best girl Saya, such likable characters, and I keep watching so they might have a scene or something

...But no, every episode is just

>hey coconuts
>hey bro
>you want to go see saya? I hear she's...

>HI IT'S HOTARU I WILL NOW BLABBER ON ABOUT A NEW SNACK FOR FIFTEEN MINUTES STRAIGHT AND OVER-DRAMATIZE EVERYTHING I DO IN A WAY THAT HASN'T BEEN REMOTELY FUNNY SINCE EPISODE ONE

Like jesus, they don't even have ecchi anymore after episode 1's shower scene almost

Come on dagashi kashi... You were so promising...

I just want to see the best girl...
>>
>>137694557
>Not being aware of how simple, quick and satisfying exercise can be when you stop following exercise routines made for girls.
>>
>>137694062
>KyoAnus
>Ever being objectively good
Kill yourself.
>>
>>137694235
This, if you're anime only pleb then sure 2-3 hours aren't a lot, but if you read VN/Manga/LN/ play JRPGs and other not Japanese related stuff like books, music or movies, it's a ton of wasted time because you don't even enjoy it.
>>
>>137694688
Doesn't matter,fuck off to your containment board.
>>
I do it for /a/
>>
>>137689916
I drop things really quickly if I don't enjoy them, but even I recognize that it's often worth watching some things for reasons other than enjoyment.
>>
>>137689916
Because I want to see how bad is going to be the end?
>>
>>137694810
And if other nip media fails you, western stuff is still good. I don't want to waste time on shitty seasonal anime when there's so much out there I could be watching or reading instead. There's having a hobby, and then there's being so militant about fulfilling your 'obligations' to the hobby that you disregard other things you could also enjoy.
>>
>>137694981
That is where the autism comes in.
>>
File: Iri exhausted.png (807KB, 925x875px) Image search: [Google]
Iri exhausted.png
807KB, 925x875px
>>137694981
>And if other nip media fails you, western stuff is still good.
The whole reason I watch anime in the first place is because I genuinely think that 3D is PD.
>>
>>137696013
So you don't watch it because characters aren't pretty?
You're no better than 3DPD you despise
>>
>>137696117
It's not just that. I have a serious problem with things that are messy or out of order. The environments in anime are often much cleaner than those in 3D.
>>
I do it because I hate dropping anime. It gives me +1 on MAL, and I can brag about how I forced myself to finish an anime I hated.
So I sometimes watch anime that I really don't like.
Oh, and I also have other goals as well. For example, I want to watch everything by Kyoani, which was a great motivation for watching Air, and that was something I couldn't drop simply because of that.
>>
>>137696199
It still "because it doesn't look pretty" reason, pretty dumb to be honest
>>
>>137696013
2D fills a niche for fantasy appeal in characters, but every time I watch a quality western drama I'm shocked that I spend so much time on anime because I like how the characters look. I go straight back to anime because I want that niche filled, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy things without feeling attraction to the characters.
>>
>>137696275
no, he's literally admitting he's a genuine autist
>>
File: 1444270854115.jpg (254KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
1444270854115.jpg
254KB, 740x740px
>>137696250
>It gives me +1 on MALd

You're a definition of cancer killing this board
>>
>>137696275
Visuals is an important part of visual media, if you don't care about visuals at all you could just listen to audio books.
>>
The truth is I can never finish an anime. The last one I finished was Anohana back in 2011.

Every single one I try to watch since then I quit halfway through. It all just seems so subpar.
>>
>>137696399
Anohana is garbage though.
I can't believe you didn't finish Ping Pong.
>>
>>137696436
And yet it managed to keep me going through the whole thing where other anime have just failed.
Maybe I just have less time now or something and I don't have patience for things I'm not really REALLY enjoying any more.
>>
>>137696399
why did you visit this board?
>>
>>137696345
Where did I imply I don't care about the visuals at all?
I just said that disregarding the whole genre because visuals don't look pretty is completely dumb.
>>
>>137696495
Why did you quote my post?
>>
>>137696736
so I could ask you why you visit this board. Why did you visit this board?
>>
>>137696814
>implying I owe anyone an explanation
>>
>>137696866
you don't "owe" anyone anything, but I'm asking because I'm curious as to why you would come this board

do you not want people to know why you came? do you knot know why you came? why are you so defensive?
>>
>>137689916
I only really only ever force myself to watch a trainwreck if:

I had enjoyed it initially and at the point of my disgust bursting just want to be able to tell someone with absolute certainty that I thought it was ass.
>>
>>137696972
Its just habit I suppose. Maybe I hope to find something new and it will be something that sparks my interest again.
>>
>>137689916
It may get better later on.
If it doesnt I can make better arguments when saying other people have shit taste.
>>
Part of my OCD. Now I just don't pick up many shows.
>>
>>137697130
it so very rarely gets better later on
>>
>>137697130
>It may get better later on.
Unles you're new to anime, you can easily guess how 90% of anime going to be after watching 1-2 episodes or just looking at the synopsis and poster.
>>
File: 357011.jpg (31KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
357011.jpg
31KB, 700x394px
>>137689916
>dropping anime
why even watch then
>>
it's to facilitate their real hobby

talking about anime on /a/
>>
>>137697251
There are times when it looks promising at the beginning, but gets really shitty later, like Dimension W or that Saekano rip-off this season
>>
>>137693427
>>137693776
I always feel like Cowboy Bebop could have been wrapped up in 12-15 episodes. It just dragged on at too many parts, like those few episodes between Gren's death and the last 3 eps.
>>
>>137697409
those were trash from the start, your ability to distinguish shitty pieces of shit is shitty
>>
>>137689916
There's more to anime than just outright enjoying yourself. You can challenge yourself with stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable, changes your perspective, takes a lot of dissection on your part etc, just like with any art. There are a lot of anime that aren't exactly "enjoyable" but are an experience or experimental or weird as fuck art or difficult to process themes. Whatever. Does that mean they weren't worth watching at all? Of course not.

>if you don't get anything out of it in the end

Quite the opposite. You're probably going to "enjoy yourself" a lot more if you listen to a 3 minute song in a genre you're very comfortable with than if you sat down to a 20 minute experimental jazz piece or something. Which do you think is going to broaden your perspective more, though? I definitely enjoyed fucking Kiniro Mosaic a lot more than I enjoyed Eva, but which one do you think gave me a better appreciation and understanding of the medium?
>>
>>137697795
>There's more to anime than just outright enjoying yourself. You can challenge yourself with stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable, changes your perspective, takes a lot of dissection on your part etc, just like with any art.
That only works if you have shit load of free time and barely interested in any other hobby
Otherwise, you'll just feel bad because you spend time on a complete shit you struggle to watch while you could have done something you actually like
>>
>>137698000
Hwhat mate. Are you honestly trying to tell me you don't like it when any of your hobbies challenge you? That's pleb as fuck, my man.
>>
>>137694397
LN shit with horrible animation and art always falls first.

>In before copypasteexplosion.webm
>>
>>137693008
Because then there wouldn't be enough anime to fill this void in our lives.
>>
>>137697795
Not that I disagree with the general premise, but how do you not find Eva or experimental jazz enjoyable? Especially compared to the likes of Kiniro Mosaic.

Shouldn't you have picked something more opaque and snobby?
>>
>>137689916

I enjoy watching bad things on a certain level. I attain enjoyment from dissecting something to understand it, whether the actual product is good or bad. It's just as interesting to be able to say "Scene A was well-put-together because of the way the shot composition interworked with the soundtrack" as it is to say "Scene B was poorly put together because of its inability to clearly communicate the action of the scene".

Plus I think it helps with perspective. To be able to understand why certain elements of a show can make it good, you have to have a reference of what happens when those elements aren't used or improperly used. You can't define what makes a character design good if you have no idea what a bad character design would look like.
>>
>>137698248
It's not that it's not enjoyable, just that it's a lot harder to consume. At the risk of sounding "snobby", shit like Mosaic is just a turn-your-brain-off-and-watch experience. It's a different kind of enjoyable. Whereas Eva or whatever, while enjoyable, takes more effort on your part to fully enjoy, if that makes sense.
>>
If I have 1-2 episodes downloaded and I don't like, I dropped.
If I have all the episodes downloaded and I don't like, I watch that shit.
>>
>>137697795
>You can challenge yourself with stuff that makes you feel uncomfortable, changes your perspective, takes a lot of dissection on your part etc, just like with any art.
I sincerely doubt my perspective on seasonal harem LN adaptations will change any time soon.
>>
>>137689916
To fit in with /a/.
>>
>>137697795
>Which do you think is going to broaden your perspective more, though?
This is completely irrelevant. I don't watch stuff to "broaden my perspective," I watch it for fun. Challenging yourself is silly.
>>
>>137699187
>Challenging yourself is silly

please
>>
>>137697212
>Unles you're new to anime, you can easily guess how 90% of anime going to be after watching 1-2 episodes or just looking at the synopsis and poster.
I always get the feeling that people who say this have a strict dividing line of stuff they watch and don't watch or something. I just don't see how you could, immediately tell from the synopsis that this generic SoL was going to be a 6/10 and the other was going to be a 4/10 and that you should avoid the second one for not being worth your time.
>>
I did this with Full Metal panick but only because of the girls.
>>
>>137699240
It is. Doing something that isn't enjoyable for the sake of challenging yourself isn't a hobby for its own sake anymore, it's self-improvement bullshit.
>>
>>137699424
>isn't a hobby for its own sake anymore
>it's self-improvement bullshit

I don't think you understand the definition of a hobby. Is learning guitar not a hobby because it requires effort that isn't always pure fun at all times?

Anyway, people want different shit out of their hobbies, all I'm saying is that OP's claim that it's pointless to watch stuff you don't find 100% fun at all times isn't correct.
>>
>>137699745
I said for its own sake for a reason. If you're doing it for a goal and not because it's fun, that's a different thing.
>>
>>137689916
I did it once with Bakemonogatari because a lot of people claimed it to be a great anime.
Turned out it was mediocre at best.
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.