[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Nips put up with the insane BD pricing over there?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 8

Why do Nips put up with the insane BD pricing over there?
>>
Because it's a niche market.
>>
>>137634170
more like otaku's being taken advantage of
>>
>>137635891
Otaku are willing to pay absurd prices for their shit, that's why they're otaku. Anime's become such a niche market in Japan that lowering the prices wouldn't bring in enough new purchases to make up for the decrease in revenue, so the companies will just go bankrupt.

That's their excuse, anyway.
>>
>>137638294
wouldn't piracy wreck their shit though?
>>
>>137638294

The problem isn't that anime's a niche, the problem is that there's too much competition compared to the good old days, so the overall sales of all shows is greatly decreased
>>
>>137638294
How's anime a niche market in Japan? I don't mean to imply salarymen skip home to watch schoolgirl shows, but it can't be as niche as it is in the west.
>>
Fuck buying anime, you pirate that shit while you spend actual money on manga.
>>
>>137638512
and people wonder why most shows never go past 1 season.
>>
>>137639951
Shokugeki no soma got a second season

Everything is possible
>>
>>137634112
cant be helped
>>
>>137634112
Because papa and mama pay for those
>>
How expensive are US TV shows over there?
>>
>>137634112
Because EVERYTHING is more expensive in Japan, not just BD
>>
>>137638337
They already air the shows on TV, so it's a moot point.
BDs are for collectors.
>>
>>137638344
Anime was always expensive.
>>
>>137643984
for you maybe
>>
>>137643908
This. Now that TPP is a thing the possibility of importing stuff might lower prices, but who knows.
>>
>>137643908
only BD's...figurines, art books, magazines and other merchandise is cheap there unless you are so poor you can't afford a 20 euro figma
>>
>>137643973
Other nonsense in this thread aside, this is the real reason. Also the reason most anime tends to be aimed at selling things other than bds (be it waifu merch, models, card games, or even just the source LN or manga).

>>137644657
Add manga to the list as well.
>>
File: 1145860747602.gif (74KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1145860747602.gif
74KB, 640x360px
>>137643833
>>
>>137634112
Because you haven't lurked enough.
>>
>>137634112
Because they are premium collectors items.
If we are talking about actually just consuming anime, they don't have to spend anywhere near that money. It's just for collectors and die hard fans.

Otherwise there are rentals, TV, steaming. You name it. But BD/DVDs are expensive. Since they are premium collectors items.
>>
EVERY FUCKING THREAD

-Anime is Niche
-It is funded by BD sales
-BD sales determine new seasons
-Because it is so Niche prices represent a fair point for fans to purchase them to help pay the studio and distributor

That is it
>>
>>137646231
>BD sales determine new seasons

Then what's the point of even airing shows on TV? They don't make more money based off view ratings?
>>
>>137638451
Only manga is mainstream in Japan, anime is mostly for teens and Otaku. Teen's don't have the money to buy expensive BD's so they leech on otaku.
>>
>>137646310
No

If you ever watch a livestream of series all the commercials relate to either the series, ost, card games related to the series, and another series owned by the same distributor.

>Then what's the point of even airing shows on TV?
Because how else would they watch it, enjoy it, and determine if they want to buy it or not.
>>
>>137646310
>most otaku anime airs after 12 at night

What do you think?
>>
>>137646310
The late-night niche anime shows? They're only being aired on TV to make people aware that the show actually exists, and/or the source material exists.

>hey, people, watch adaption of show whatever
>please buy thing that the anime adaption is based on onegaishimasu
>these guys are the big sponsors, by the way
>please buy things from them, and they'll make more animu
>>
>>137646231
>It is funded by BD sales
It's funded by other companies that then make money from BD's, CD's, live events etc. If an anime sells poorly or doesn't boost the sales for the source material, companies don't invest money to make another show.
>>
>>137646310
No, most anime has to pay for their timeslot, they don't get shit from airing on TV. Usually anime exists to advertise either the source material, toys, or misc merch related to the show.

Like take Macross for example. Kawamori's weed fueled ramblings are used to sell VF plamos and a fuckton of CDs.
>>
>>137646460
Anime is the perfect example of Capitalism done right.

Fuck the sponsors, the fans determine if a series will get another season or not.
>>
Studios should only whow the three first episodes on TV then sell the rest on BD with a decent price, if the episodes are good, peole would actually buy BD to know what happens next.

If it's shit, it's shit and it's good that it doesn't sell.
>>
File: 1437333687928.png (743KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1437333687928.png
743KB, 1280x720px
>>137646517
then fuck capitalism
>>
They should do a kickstarter for 2nd seasons
>>
>>137646540
And why should TV networks devote valuable time slots to just 3 episodes of a show when people are likely to just ignore the episodes since they know they aren't airing the full thing?
>>
>>137646517
The sponsors will determine if something gets another season if the fans buy things from the sponsors. That's how it works, and that's how it shall continue being done for the next decade.

Low disc sales is a problem for the sponsor responsible for producing the discs. And perhaps the animation studio.
But in most cases, it really isn't a problem, because those producers know that they only have to print so and so many discs to not make a loss.
>>
I bet that relying on BD sales will be a problem when Japan gets more streaming services or they clue into other ways of watching it.
>>
>>137646790
Production committees have been trying to find alternate means to finance and recoup costs for making anime since some time. They're not trying to rely exclusively on BD and DVD sales.
It's just that the industry is generally slow to change, and rather prefers to play it safe. But there have been experiments.
>>
>>137646631
Fuck no. The we'll get retarded continuations of series that are done and finished. There are already enough shitty series that drag seasons out until every last one of its fans hate what it's become, until eventually it gets a half-assed, last minute finale that needs a special movie release to make any kind of sense of.
>>
>>137644657
Figma's are cheap because they're shit. If you want a high quality figure you could be paying between 70k-100k Yen.
>>
Yuru yuri, Toradora, Madoka, Oreimo, Kill la Kill, and a bunch of other more 'mainstream' anime cost upwards of 60 for a volume of 4-6 episodes and ~100 for seasons/series. Even a really mainstream anime like SAO costs ~60 bucks for 7 episodes. It's fucking irritating. Not to mention that Bandai closed up so now stuff like Haruhi/Lucky Star is crazy expensive.
>>
>>137634112

The same reason America's working class puts up with low, non-livable wages and high rent/expenses.
>>
>>137647772
It can't be helped.
>>
>>137646790
I don't think anime can survive on streaming services, I mean making a one-cour TV series costs around a milion, and we have around 50 shows each season. So unless those streaming sites get really fucking popular or nips decide to go international it won't happen. I mean, even Netflix makes only a handful of original series, and mostly relies on licensing.
>cost upwards of 60 for a volume of 4-6 episodes
Japanese discs cost around 70$ for 2 episodes, but at least they give cool shit with it.

Also something GuP-related seems to be dominating DVD sales on amazon, is it the movie? I can't read moon.
>>
>>137648092
It's meant to compliment, not replace.
>>
>>137634112
Because that's the same pricing model Japs have been using since they started selling anime on VHS in the 80s.
Shit has never been cheap to own and so long as their otaku fags are willing to shell out the money for it, they see no need to change.
>>
>>137648092
I was thinking if perhaps new shows with subtitles could be aired a few hours after Japan in the west on TV, but it'd be very niche and pointless since TV is dying, but the commercial fees would be pretty beneficial.
>>
>>137646790
I really don't think people buy BDs to watch it. Hell, most of them record it on their TV in the first place, they could just keep that.
>>
>>137648791
This. Streaming isn't an alternative to BDs, because people aren't forking over $300-500 to watch something they've never seen before, nor are they buying every show they watched or liked. They're basically merchandise.
>>
>>137646310
>BD sales determine new seasons

Not exactelly. Source material sales counts too.
>>
>>137646310
>Then what's the point of even airing shows on TV
What do you think? People aren't going to buy the fucking thing if they didn't watch it already.
>>
File: anime-BD's-are-EXPENSIVE.gif (201KB, 961x541px) Image search: [Google]
anime-BD's-are-EXPENSIVE.gif
201KB, 961x541px
>>137634112

This explains everything.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07
>>
>>137647944

It can, but it won't be.
>>
>>137649214
Ultimately, what determines if a show gets new seasons or not is if enough of the sponsors think that a new season will still generate more interest in the products they sell.

Of course, being a tremendous smash hit can and will help with that decision.
>>
>>137649322
>People aren't going to buy the fucking thing if they didn't watch it already

If that was true literally no one would go to movie theaters.
>>
>>137649322
>buy something you already watched

And this makes more sense because?
>>
>>137649422
Doesn't Hollywood makes more money from DVDs and BDs than theaters?
>>
>>137644657
Nope, pretty much everything like food or electronics is more expensive in Japan than in Western countries.
>>
File: 1446966120989.png (108KB, 205x229px) Image search: [Google]
1446966120989.png
108KB, 205x229px
>>137634112
Because anime is a "niche market" and staff get paid big salaries. If you go by what studios and "insiders" say.

The Go- erm.... otaku must support their hobby.
>>
File: b_20120327010738000000.jpg (117KB, 900x548px) Image search: [Google]
b_20120327010738000000.jpg
117KB, 900x548px
>>137649453
Ask the nips.
>>
>>137649422
Movies don't cost a hundred dollars an hour, nor do they depend on each member of a small core group watching a hundred new releases a year.
>>
>>137644649
More likely they will force higher BD prices in the US because of that.
>>
>>137649453
Because the discs are expensive, so you only buy what you liked on TV and want the extras like artbooks, radio-dramas and stuff.
>>
So much ignorance in this thread. Going to clear up some misunderstandings one by one.

BD prices are high because they are sold at rental copy prices rather than retail prices. This is practice that started back in the VHS days, because otaku were unwilling to wait for retail tapes of the shows to come out they would actually purchase rental copies from the distributor in order to add it to their collection that much more quickly. Most of the people who bought anime videos were otaku, so the industry simply stopped selling them at retail prices. And as a consequence they actually make more money now than ever before and sales have actually gone up over the years.

Next, BD sales are very important to anime studios because it makes up the bulk of the profit they see. Notice I said profit, not revenue. In terms of revenue, they get the most money from the production committee, which is a consortium of advertisers, publishers, manufacturers, distributors, and TV networks. That money from the production committee is the budget for the show and most studios will burn through all of it and then some during the production, counting on making it back off of secondary revenue from character licensing, merchandising, and especially video sales. They get the biggest cut out of BD sales because there's fewer hands in the pot compared to merch or character licensing.

If you've been paying attention this also explains why TV still airs on anime despite relying on BD sales.
>>
>>137649453
Some people really want to rewatch it. Some people just want to own it because they loved it or because it's a collector's thing. Some people want to support a show they liked. Some people want the bonuses that come with the discs. Like the other guy said, buying the BDs is more like buying merchandise than it is buying the ability to watch the show. The TV run basically advertises the BDs (among all the other stuff), so people watch a bunch of them and then buy a few.
>>
>>137649353
It's not that simple. Most people ITT don't understand that most anime studios are mercenary. They are contracted by these production consortia to animate a project. They have free will, they can turn it down if they think it's going to lose them money. So let's say you're a publisher who made an anime for one of your best selling LNs. It really boosted the sales, tripled them in fact, so much you want another anime. Problem is, the studio actually lost money on that anime because they ended up going over budget and the sales of the BDs were so pitiful that they still ended up in the red. So the anime studio says "no thanks, we'll look for a better option." Well that's bad, but you can still shop around for another studio right? Except all the other studios know your product doesn't sell BDs and that you were rejected by the first studio, so good luck finding anyone willing to do it. S2 never.

However there are studios that are actually owned by TV networks (like Toei) so to them BD sales are important, what matters is viewership ratings. That's why One Piece literally never takes an off season. Cause it brings in ratings.
>>
>>137649422
Try making every ticket $80 and see how many people go. And that's just one volume.
>>
>>137649794
VHS tapes used to be sold this way in the US too, 80-100 dollars and sometimes more per movie. Top Gun was the first movie sold at a price that a normal person would pay, 20 bucks I think.
>>
>>137634112
Otaku are dependent on those BD's. It's literally an inelastic good.
>>
>>137650256
I'll add that the studios were really afraid of piracy in the early days of home video and really didn't want millions of copies of their movies circulating around on tapes. They preferred to sell a few thousand copies to rental stores rather to the general public.
>>
>>137650099
They could theoretically also just pay the studio more to offset losses. I've never seen information of really any kind on studio rates, but I'd imagine they get paid more for some minor shounen manga than for say Nisemonogatari.

Also, do you know if private networks actually pay the studio instead of the other way around like it usually is? That's the obvious way I could see to make that model work, but I could be missing something.
>>
>>137650099
I kinda have my doubts on that. Also, I doubt that there are that many studios capable of refusing to do work. If they would refuse to work on a further season, it would rather be because they simply do not have the capacity and manpower to do so, are booked out completely, or have some personal problems with the people involved.
>>
>>137650354
>They could theoretically also just pay the studio more to offset losses.
Yeah but that's still not really an incentive for the studio to make the anime though. They'd have to be super desperate to take a job whose only enticement is "you won't lose money on it".
>but I'd imagine they get paid more for some minor shounen manga than for say Nisemonogatari
Lots of shounen titles don't rely on sales because they're animated by studios like Toei, who rely on TV ratings.
>Also, do you know if private networks actually pay the studio instead of the other way around like it usually is?
To my knowledge no, the broadcast slot is always paid for by the production committee except for studios like Toei who are actually owned by the TV networks the show airs on.
>>
>>137650099
Unless they offer a bigger budget.
>>
>>137650620
>They'd have to be super desperate to take a job whose only enticement is "you won't lose money on it".

I guess DEEN it is then.
>>
>>137650502
>I doubt that there are that many studios capable of refusing to do work
They don't refuse to do work, they refuse contracts that aren't favorable. You know how movie scripts work? There's hundreds of scripts out there but only a few are chosen to be made into movies every year. Similar thing with anime. Lots of proposed anime deals out there, but studios only pick the ones they think will make them money.
>>
>>137650620
>To my knowledge no, the broadcast slot is always paid for by the production committee except for studios like Toei who are actually owned by the TV networks the show airs on.
If that's true, then I have to wonder why anyone bothers airing shows on AT-X and stuff. It seems like it'd be a very minor exposure, especially if it's the first or primary channel to air it.
>>
>>137643833
$20-50 for BD seasons, depends on the rarity of the version and how new it is.
>>
>>137650502
>Also, I doubt that there are that many studios capable of refusing to do work
It's not a matter of being "capable" if the show literally loses you money. No one, no matter how desperate, is going to produce an anime that will come out of your pocket and go into the publishers'.
>>
>>137651108
Being incompetent enough to not manage your own finances is not the problem of the production committees, but that of the studio.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.