[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Things subbers do that annoy you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 256
Thread images: 37

File: buttons.jpg (16KB, 446x356px) Image search: [Google]
buttons.jpg
16KB, 446x356px
>translating a phrase into another nonenglish language for no reason
>>
>>137627828
Worked great for GuP
>>
>>137627828
t. American

Also
>taking out the various (meaning carrying and non-interchangeable) forms of (O)nii-chan and replacing then with "brother" or just the name of the character
>>
Translating accents. You don't need to translate a Kansai accent to a Southern American one.
>>
Generally everything you would need to do for a dub. e.g. >>137628857 and >>137628975
>>
>>137628857
>Dual audio with two different sub tracks, one with dialogue and one without
>both labeled only "English" and player always defaults to the one without dialogue

>>taking out the various (meaning carrying and non-interchangeable) forms of (O)nii-chan and replacing then with "brother" or just the name of the character
Fucking christ, this bugs the hell out of me
>>
>>
>>137629427
But this was a superior translation to Attack on Titan. The official one is a wrong, dumbed down for stupid gaijin translation, whike Eotena Onslaught is a translation of the original meaning, better carrying the authors original intent.
>>
File: SMUGi.jpg (59KB, 268x237px) Image search: [Google]
SMUGi.jpg
59KB, 268x237px
>>137629427
>google eotena
>almost every link is plebs being mad about how it's wrong because the official translators must be right

Thanks for the entertainment anon
>>
File: 1384315203706.png (134KB, 272x232px) Image search: [Google]
1384315203706.png
134KB, 272x232px
>character says "zankyu"
>"arigato"
well played, subbers
well played
>>
>>137629497
>>137629575
The official "translation" was engrish, but that still didn't make Eotena any better. They came up with that retarded shit to make themselves look smarter.
>>
>>137629690
They should have used Ettin so people would know how to pronounce it, but other than that the translation was perfect.
>>
>translating the thing that the name of the show comes from

Underwater pls go
>>
>>137629727
>he translation was perfect
Gee I wonder who made that post.
"Attack on Titan" wasn't a translation of the title, it is the official title. It's not the subber's job to try to improve it. And Eotena or Ettin definitely are not improvements.
Oh it's pointless to try to explain to someone who thought that translation was perfect, because you'd have to be a retard or a troll to say that, which makes me an idiot when I replied.
>>
>>137629823
And why should the subbers follow the official title? Perhaps they wanted to give the viewers an experience as true to the source material as possible. It's like subbing the Japanese release of something instead of subbing the censored western release. Sure the gimped version may be the official, but some subtitlers want to offer the original experience in a new language, not do the localizers' job for them.
>>
>>137629890
Because that's not going to provide an experience. It will just start arguments and cause less people to follow your releases.
>>
>character says a word in English
>subs translate it to a synonym of that word

I don't see the point, just use the same fucking word.
>>
>>137630116
Sometimes the meanings aren't 1:1. It's acceptable in those cases.
>>
>>137629690
They came up with that retarded shit to troll idiots with taste shit enough to care about Shingeki no Kyojin.
>>
>>137630116
One of the most commonly seen case is "hamburger" to "Salisbury steak".
Although I think that's unnecessary, it's justifiable somewhat.
>>
>>137630185
Just because you think they're saying "hamburger" doesn't mean they actually ARE, you dumb dipshit.
>>
>>137627828
KYON-KUN
>>
>>137630226
See, this is why I thought it's somewhat justifiable. Because there are idiots like you who don't understand that even in English speaking countries, "hamburger" doesn't always mean the same thing.
>>
>>137630278
If the subs say "salisbury steak" and the audio says something you're mistaking for "hamburger" they're not saying fucking "hamburger" they're saying "hamburg", which s short for "hamburg steak", which is another, less common word for "salisbury steak".

Go back to /v/ now.
>>
>>137627828
>character says "Senpai" or other phrase
>subs just read the characters name instead

>translating dagashi-ya into candy lady
>>
File: 1438100529735.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1438100529735.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
>Dual audio release
>Defaults to English dub
>>
>>137628975
This shit is ruining Bokumachi for me.
>>
>>137630148
I get that, but I'm talking about legit synonyms. Mst of the time it's not even important lines, something like 'naisu jobu' will get subbed as 'good job'. It changes nothing, subbers must have huge egos if they think their minor changes are an improvement on the script.
>>
>>137630327
>Not setting your audio preferences correctly.
>>
If this kind of stuff upsets you that much, why don't you just learn Japanese?

Oh, right, because you're lazy as shit and probably borderline retarded.
>>
File: fansubs.png (80KB, 1019x210px) Image search: [Google]
fansubs.png
80KB, 1019x210px
>>137627828
>>
>>137627828
>I'll have one Niku manjū please!
>note: Niku manjū means meat bun

THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST FUCKING TRANSLATE IT IN THE SUBTITLES? WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME READ AN ADDENDUM FOR FUCKING FOOD?!

this keikaku shit really annoys me, I'm pretty good at reading subtitles while still being able to see whats happening on screen, but when they arbitrarily make me look at a complete different part of the screen for something they could have easily translated, it's annoying and can cause you to miss shit if it goes too quickly
>>
>>137630580
>wow, why are these translators expecting me to learn things from my kids cartoons?
>I'm going to kick and scream like a baby until the whole industry is pure localisation like translating a sentence ending tick into a fucking hick accent
Kill yourself.
>>
>>137630614
fuck off
keikaku means plan
just write plan

why call yourself a translator when you are going to leave in untranslated words (that can be easily translated) for no reason?
>>
>>137630684
The whole keikaku thing was a fucking meme, you dip.
>>
That rakugo show this season did the main annoying one.

>It's like that famous saying, "(untranslated)"
>never translate it
>no TL note
>>
>>137631218
Gintama and Osomatsu-san do the same.
>>
This shit is MASSIVE in video games

>Bon-chan in Pirate Warriors 3: "Okama WAAYYY!!"
>Eng translation: "Oh! Come my way!

I guess having one of the best characters yelling "TRANNY SPIRIT!" would have been too much or something
>>
>>137627828
>Translating engrish or even an english loan word into something else.

>Sempai (fairy rare)
>>
Clannad annoyed me whenever "Anpan" was said. Just have a TL note saying anpan is a sweetbread roll, I already knew what it was from Gintama so having a 3 word description annoyed me.
>>
>>137630351
This shit gets me every time as well.
My Japanese is still very rough, but I have a hard time believing that things like NAISU TAIMINGU should be rendered as anything other than what they sound like.

The bigger problem is subbers who write everything in grammatically correct sentences or idioms. I've learned to stop caring when 'Hayaku!' becomes 'Hurry it up, slowpoke!" or when 'Omae?' becomes 'And how about you?'
>>
>changing punchlines / jokes instead of using tl notes

I don't care if they were excessive, I want whole fucking essays to read for each shitty pun, not some bastardised attempt at translating it.
>>
>>137631417
I've just realised, I don't think they translated Dango in a similar way, what the fuck.
>>
>>137631460
>I've learned to stop caring when 'Hayaku!' becomes 'Hurry it up, slowpoke!" or when 'Omae?' becomes 'And how about you?'
You're a fucking retard, brah.

Japanese doesn't require a defined subject or object in the same way English does. You don't have "rough Japanese", you're capable of picking out a couple of words and guessing at what they mean. Those translations are completely fine in context.
>>
When a character speaks in third person but they don't sub it as such.
>>
>>137631566
It's correct, but it feels like the subber did too much for nothing.
>>
>having more than one tl note for the same thing

I fucking know what senpai means the last time a tl note was added for fucks sake I don't have memory loss just do it once, christ
>>
File: 1452171288000.png (641KB, 636x616px) Image search: [Google]
1452171288000.png
641KB, 636x616px
Character: "N-NANI!?"
Sub: Who are you?

nigga'
>>
>>137631566
No, actually, they're awful translations. A language having implied subjects doesn't give you free reign to add pleasantries or intensifiers.
In English, saying "you?" can imply "How about you?" That doesn't make them 100% interchangeable, and the context comes from the rest of the conversation, not by inventing words.
>>
ITT:
>weeaboos that know few Japanese words show their autism

Not that I defend shitty subs, just saying you EOPs are faggots too.
>>
>>137631719
nothing wrong with being an EOP and a weeb you rude fuck, you're on /a/
>>
File: tsuki subs.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
tsuki subs.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>137631621
this
>>
>>137631724
Shush, don't argue with your betters.
>>
>>137629613

>not "AwRiGahTooo", simulating the Japanese-speaking gaijin equivalent of their horrible Engrish
>>
>>137631329
>>137627828
It is used to show that the character is trying to sound smart and using different language. If they just left it in English it wouldn't stand out and most people wouldn't even notice that the character isn't talking in Japanese.
>>
>>137630580

Food tends to be kind of a grey area. When it comes to ethnic dishes, a lot of people like to leave them untranslated. This includes people who run restaurants and grocery stores, as well as those who write cookbooks.

Honestly, this is for the better sometimes. Since One Piece has been mentioned here, "takoyaki" sounds way more appetizing than the translator's choice of "octopus balls". (you should try takoyaki sometimes BTW; it's great)

It can get a little silly when it's not referring specifically to an ethnic dish, though, like a Japanese menu saying "tamago" instead of "fish eggs" when listing ingredients on a sushi roll.
>>
>>137631218
I miss the old Gintama fansub.
>>
>>137632045
>(you should try takoyaki sometimes BTW; it's great)

Fucking weeaboo flaunting his weeabooness. Btw they're like eating gum.
>>
>proving a service to you for no financial recompense

How dare they!
>>
>>137632156
>doing something for free means it can't be criticized in any way
>>
>>137632089

>eating Japanese food means that you blindly worship Japanese culture
>recommending the stuff that most westerners haven't tried means that you blindly worship Japanese culture

I swear to god, the paranoia and autistic inability to distinguish between two things that share superficial similarities of you faggots is just as pathetic as the behavior of the people that you're trying to distance yourself from.
>>
>>137632188

>*recommending the stuff that most westerners haven't tried that you liked means that you blindly worship Japanese culture

Dammit.
>>
>>137632188
>>137632211
I'm mainly pointing out that takoyaki is meh.
>>
>>137632045
Tamago means eggs, you fuck.
>>
>>137632231

I love the texture of octopus. It's like squid if squid were really meaty and had a lot of flavor instead of just having the texture of rubber.

I'm guessing that you had horrible takoyaki, because it's not like gum at all.
>>
>>137632277

That's exactly my point. They're fucking fish eggs. There's nothing ethnic about them. Just say "fish eggs".
>>
>>137632284
Had it from a stand in Asakusa. Gum was perhaps a bad way to put it. Rubber is better.

I didn't feel like the octopus was meaty as all.
>>
>>137632336

There are bad cooks in Japan, too.

Though some people just don't like octopus.
>>
File: tamago-nigiri-sushi.jpg (29KB, 350x241px) Image search: [Google]
tamago-nigiri-sushi.jpg
29KB, 350x241px
>>137632309
"Tamago" sushi is with omelet, not fucking caviar, you dumb dick
>>
File: 1429484662039.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1429484662039.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>unironically being an EOP pleb
Are you serious?
>>
>>137632388

Not in the case of the roll that I'm specifically thinking of.

This was kind of a westernized Japanese place. They're still tasty, though.
>>
>>137631654
You understand absolutely nothing about translation or even linguistics in general.

Why would you post about a topic you know nothing about, you disgusting EOP?
>>
>>137632423
Some shitty restaurant you might have just made up using the completely wrong name for something doesn't change the fact that you thought "tamago" meant caviar.
>>
>>137632459
>needing to knowing linguistics
>to watch anime

top lel
>>
File: DgPBSVQ.jpg (69KB, 938x477px) Image search: [Google]
DgPBSVQ.jpg
69KB, 938x477px
How horriblesubs' Gintama translation uses Madao for Hasegawa's nickname for the first hundred or so episodes and then starts calling him DORK later on

Like some retard in the room thought Madao was his name or something
>>
>>137632481
No, you need linguistics to complain about something you see as poor translation when it's anything but. The extra words are implied, but while Japanese can leave them unsaid, you need them in English to make a complete sentence.
>>
>Dual audio
>subs are just the dub's dialogue
>>
File: 1434540358655.png (6KB, 92x92px) Image search: [Google]
1434540358655.png
6KB, 92x92px
>character says "nii-san"
>subtitles read "Brother's Name"

>character says "First Name"
>subtitles read "Mr. Last Name"

I fucking hate shit like this. It's really jarring to be hearing one thing and have the subtitles say another. I've been watching Hyouge Mono and the subbers keep doing it. Characters will say "Nobunaga-sama" but the subtitles read "Milord". It's driving me fucking nuts. Do they think we won't understand who Nobunaga-sama is?
>>
>translating an English phrase into another English phrase with the same meaning
>>
>>137629146
>>both labeled only "English" and player always defaults to the one without dialogue
that only happens because the release group is dubretards and marked the signs track as default to go with the shit dub
>>
>>137632416

We were all there at some point, anon.

Honestly, unless you're sitting over there waiting for years on end for visual novel translations that might never come, are fucking fed up with all of the more obvious localization issues with vidya, or spend so much time with Japanese media that you think that you ought to just take the dive, it's a bit silly to learn Japanese. Learning Japanese is a lot of work for a half-baked interest.

>>137632481

You don't need to know anything about Japanese to watch anime with English subtitles, but you do need some working knowledge if you're trying to talk about translating from Japanese into English.
>>
>>137632583
>character says "nii-san"
>subtitles read "Brother's Name"
>before the brother has been introduced as the character's brother
>before his name has even been mentioned in the show
>>
Fansubbing is dead because meme fansubbers just want to be popular and feel like special little flowers instead of just translating

I have worked with some of these people and it is a nightmare.
>>
>Character nods and makes a short noise
>subs say, "Okay then."
>>
>>137632522
The words are implied and absolutely correct, but sometimes they don't fit to a character's way of speaking or context at all.
>>
>>137632642
Fansubbing is dead because everybody just uses CR and it drives the special snowflakes absolutely mental to see someone else getting more downloads than them.
>>
>>137632188
you're a weaboo faggot and literally everyone in the world has had takoyaki before, u fucken scrub ass, trailer trash, worthless, frozen burrito-eating motherfucker
>>
>>137632679
Because there is no "short acknowledgement of general agreement" in English that fits well.
>>
>>137627828
Switching around the surname and Christian name.
>>
>>137632642
>>137632715
>Watch Valkyrie Drive with Commiesubs because everything else is censored
>nearly every single line is rewritten completely, as if the editor was allergic to straight translations
Fucking why
>>
>>137632847
>straight translations

Well it was a show about lesbians you know?
>>
>>137632787
I'd rather they left that untranslated then. If you're watching anime with subs then you're probably paying enough attention to catch the nod.
>>
>>137632787
"yeah"
>>
>>137632715
But they still do the special snowflake shit and people still praise them for it.

It's so cancerous that even CR inserts shit memes in some shows. But at least unlike some funsubbers they translate instead of localizing badly.

I am starting to think that the concept of localization in media translation is a complete joke made up to create jobs. Coincidentally the more plebby the medium, the more likely you are to encounter misleading translation and scriptwriting as """localization""".
>>
>>137632847
The one reason I hate gg.
>>
>>137632907
Hello /v/, still mad about FE?
>>
>>137632907
I hate to break it to you, but all translation is localisation when it comes to a language as different as Japanese.

It never gets old to see someone bitching about localisation. If someone actually translated the dumb shit you want to read literally, you'd want to kill yourself 5 sentences in.
>>
>>137632937
I guess you are EOP and speak 10 words of Japanese, otherwise you would realize that no language has 1:1 mapping with every word and construct of another (especially English).

You don't know what translation/localization means if you think that "translating" is Tae Kimming.
>>
Hardsubbing
>>
>>137632937
There's a difference between "write how this would be said in English" and "see how extremely loose you can get before it's no longer a translation in any sense of the word".
>>
>>137630327
>downloading dual audio trash in the first place
>not removing it entirely with mkvmerge
>not adjusting your audio preferences
No excuse.
>>
File: literal translation.jpg (406KB, 1075x1544px) Image search: [Google]
literal translation.jpg
406KB, 1075x1544px
>>137632937
Finally I have a chance to post this. No, this is not how they actually released it. This was just an example page by the translator about how dumb Japanese sentences are.
>>
>>137633021
>not switching to english during the boring moments
>>
>>137633106
That's nice, except we're talking about special snowflakes that translate "Ano ko kawaii desu ne." as "Daymn that chick makes my kokoro go dokidoki, as they say on Reddit." here.

Also
>Japanese sentences sound dumb because the grammar is completely different from English
That's not how it works you monolingual pleb.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1680x1050px
>>
>>137633106
And I'm sure your English would make as much sense if it was translated literally into Swahili or some shit. What's your point? That you don't get that languages have different grammar systems?
>>
>>137633194
>character says "sugoi!"
>subs say "I love it!"
Fucking Daiz
>>
>>137633106
>In English, you can't simply say "wakarimasen", you have to say "watashi wa wakaru suru de wa nai desu". It's like listening to fucking cavemen.
>>
>>137633271
I wasn't disagreeing with the anon I replied to. Translating from a language as different as Japanese requires some liberties.
>>
>>137631460

Say hello to the art of translating two extremely different languages. The Japanese say a lot of things that would sound extremely unnatural, if not outright ungrammatical, if they were translated into English as 1/1 as possible. If you learned more Japanese, you'd realize that they completely change the word choice around regularly to deliver a similar message without sounding completely odd, often doing things like utilizing negative verbs when a positive verb is used in the original Japanese script, just due to the differences in how the two languages are structured. Nuances inevitably get lost in translation between Japanese and English, no matter how great the translator is.

If it bothers you so much, stop "learning" Japanese and start learning Japanese. That's the only way out.
>>
>>137633342
>adding the word "the" in front of a noun when translating from a language that doesn't have definite forms at all is "taking liberties"
Stop being retarded
>>
>>137633321

>In Japanese, you don't have to specify the subject. You just say "don't understand". It's like listening to fucking cavemen.
>>
>>137633419
No, but adding subject and object to a sentence in English when the original Japanese has neither does need some freedom. Like how "daisuki" can be a whole sentence, but how you translate that depends on the context.
>>
>>137632480
Tamago=egg
What is caviar made of? That's right eggs. He was probaly forgetting a word but it surely was Something Tamago Sushi
>>
File: 1415775128101.png (375KB, 752x588px) Image search: [Google]
1415775128101.png
375KB, 752x588px
>character clearly says an English word
>subs use a different word that means the same thing
>>
>>137629823
>"Attack on Titan" wasn't a translation of the title, it is the official title.
It's a bad translation of the official title
>>
>>137633575
That's not "taking liberties", that's "not being fucking retarded".
>>
>>137632847
>straight translations
Also, shark0week0 is a meme translator, so not so sure what you were expecting
>>
>>137633683
>so not so sure what you were expecting
Uncensored lesbians
Which I got. I just had to suffer through "technically not incorrect" translations while watching them.
>>
>>137633593

No, it listed the ingredients of the roll. One of those ingredients was "tamago". The roll did not have any chicken eggs on it. They were just calling fish eggs "tamago" for some reason. I'm completely sure that I'm not forgetting anything, like a "fish" or "sakana" beforehand, because it stood out to me at the time.
>>
>>137633735
That's why you should go with Ohys Raws + Senketsu next time. Oh, wait.
>>
>>137633795
lol
>>
>>137630239
why does she sit like that?
>>
>>137633594
That shows that the translator put some thought o to translating. Not every English word is the same in foreign language. It could be a faux amis.
>>
>>137634419
Nobody cares about the level of effort translator-kun puts in
>>
>>137633866
Maybe her butt hurts
>>
File: 1425338936889.jpg (18KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
1425338936889.jpg
18KB, 310x310px
>>137635063
From what?
>>
>series is dropped by other translators because it's that shit
>the only translator left makes up subs joking about how bad the show is

Actually I've only seen it on Sasami-san@ganbaranai, are there any others?
>>
>>137632045
I use the criterion: if it has an English Wikipedia page, leave it in. Anyone can easily google it. If it's some rare food that doesn't have an article, translate or explain it.
>>
File: image.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>137630382
But I am learning Japanese, anon. I can already read most sentences with furigana.
>>
>>137631776
Anyone who uses "EOP" isn't better than anyone.
>>
>>137631460
>>137631654

ITT: Waps who don't know anything about moon or translation in general whining about accuracy of moon translations
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 551x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121KB, 551x600px
>TL Note: I'm not sure what the joke here is supposed to be

It made me laugh more than it made me mad
>>
>>137629613
I think I've seen this, not sure where though.
>>
>>137638251
>TL Note: If you understand Japanese you know what this means
>>
File: Dub-Ai.jpg (73KB, 426x320px) Image search: [Google]
Dub-Ai.jpg
73KB, 426x320px
A Sub Purist falls in love with a Gag Dub.

Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the Dub studio's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls them, and is overjoyed to find out that they are fans of his dub v sub shitposting as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the studio, they only looks at him with perplexed expressions. After some investigation, he finds out that the studio he called is not the same gag dub studio he fell in love with. In fact, they don't exist in this universe at all. They are the studio's alternate universe Straight Dub counterpart, who have fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of their crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of VOICE ACTING.
>>
>>137629497
"The X Onslaught" is fine but "Eotena" is just retarded
>>
>>137638615

Onslaught on Titan
>>
>>137627828
>man grunts
>sub says "Yeah"
>>
>>137629613
YES, I UNDERSTAND
>>
File: 1439555046020.gif (955KB, 316x200px) Image search: [Google]
1439555046020.gif
955KB, 316x200px
>>137632416
>EOP pleb
>>
File: 1431657126056.gif (259KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1431657126056.gif
259KB, 500x354px
>>137633321
>>
>>137633021
>Using mkvmerge to remux episodes 1 by 1
Just use a batch ffmpeg script and save yourself hours of time. like this:

(Windows)

@ECHO OFF

FOR %f IN (*.mkv) DO call ffmpeg.exe -i "%f" -map 0 -map -0:a:1 -c:v copy -c:a copy "../%f"
>>
Using the outdated phrase "What's the big idea?".
>>
>Translating -san to Mr. when the characters are peers
>>
>>137633021
>downloading dual audio trash in the first place
AB.
>>
>clearly says onii-chan
>subbed as [Name]
>>
>Spice and Wolf S1 said Holo
>S2 said Horo
>>
>says Gotou-chan
>subbed as Brotou

>says Guridon
>subbed as Ornac

>says Sengoku
>subbed as Wärring
>>
>>137640161
>S3 said korbo
>>
>Not translating esper to psychic
>>
>people who don't speak japanese majorly buttflustered about leaving in/out honorifics and muh japanese food names etc

kek, as long as you can understand the conversations who gives a fuck, autistic weebs man
>>
>>137641135
>autistic weebs
In my /a/?
>>
>>137630374
Shame this doesn't work for subs without dialogue.
>>
>>137627828
it's usually not for "no reason", you're probably just dumb
>>
>>137631460
You're an idiot, if you get better at Japanese I hope you remember saying shit like this and cringe.
>>
>tfw work as a nip translator
>tfw wanna do some fansubs for rarer shows for /a/
>tfw know /a/ would just get all buttblasted over stupid little things like this

it's a bad feel
>>
File: butwaittheresmore.png (25KB, 489x587px) Image search: [Google]
butwaittheresmore.png
25KB, 489x587px
There's tonnes of these buggers, and to varying degrees too. "Bitch" meaning "slut" is another. People who know a few words and complain about translators translating them properly are usually just clueless dumbasses.
>>
I remember watching kaiji season two and when he puts the notes on the machine it said Benjamin won't let me down' also they translated some money and didn't translate others
>>
>>137641862
If you know you did a good job, then you obviously don't have to worry about what some kid who did japanese 101 as an elective once thinks, because you know you did a good job.

If you do a shitty job though, then you deserve to feel bad.
>>
"Big Sis" and "Big Bro" do people actually call their siblings this? Like I might refer to my brother like this to someone else, but I would never address him like "yo BIG BRO what's up?".
>>
>>137641862
If you are still here, send an email to [email protected] (temp email), if you actually want to do it I'll help.
>>
>>137642904
let me know what you actually want to work on though
>>
>>137633321
>Not understanding that other languages are different from English.
>>
>>137641931
"Follow" meaning "to cover for" comes to mind as well.
>>
>>137643881
follow is more contexty than that

It can mean stuff like 'play along' and 'back up'.
>>
>>137627828
I hate it when they don't give me the cultural context on why she's sitting like that in a translation note.
>>
>>137633594
When nips say 'hamburger' they seriously do mean "salisbury steak".
>>
>>137641931
>bitch meaning slut
Holy fuck, every time. I swear nobody knows this. To add on, スルー comes to mind but I think that one's almost ubiquitously known
>>
>>137644949
ハンバーグ (hanbaagu) is hamburg steak
ハンバーガー (hanbaagaa) is hamburger
They sound very similar
>>
Crunchyroll's font is so ugly compared to what fansubbers used to do like 10 years ago - why not put a colored border around it?

Also when subbers translate a random grunt "mm" as a myriad of different things.
>>
>>137647062
They mean different things though.
>>
>>137647197
I suppose the character should just say something different instead of:

"Goodnight!"
"Ugh"
>>
>>137629613
>>137638350
This was bothering me 'cause I had seen it within the last couple months. It was the [Glitch]Hibiki OVAs. (Where I saw it anyway.) Not sure which one though.
>>
File: 1397189084805.png (17KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1397189084805.png
17KB, 200x200px
>Character says Papa.
>Translation says Daddy.

No, I think they mean papa.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>137633106
>look, phone!
>>
File: 1453945368579.png (119KB, 281x440px) Image search: [Google]
1453945368579.png
119KB, 281x440px
>itadakimasu

>"bon appetit"
>>
You know what really gets me about Dubs?
People complaining about the quality of them when they original Japanese VA was probably equally shit

You ever noticed that most actually good anime have actually good dubs?

Weeb shit series' about cute girls doing x things get awful dubs because they're pandering shit churned out on an industrial scale, and the japanese dub is usually functional at best
>>
File: 1445189845830.png (321KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1445189845830.png
321KB, 600x564px
>osakan character
>gives them a southern drawl
>>
>>137648158
no, dubs are pretty much universally shit

the only good ones are joke dubs, like Ghost Stories or Duel Masters or Yugioh GX

But those also count as script rewrites, so it's not quite the same.
>>
File: bait.png (69KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
69KB, 622x626px
>>137648158
>they original Japanese VA was probably equally shit
There's countless nips training and competing for any given anime role. Whereas the average dub uses the same 10 shitty VAs because they can pay them $100 an episode. Bigger name shows get bigger name VAs because they can justify the expense.
>>
>>137648158
Or you can actually use your fucking ears and tell that the native voice usually fits the character and isn't some forty year old smoker being given five bucks an hour to lazily try and sound like she's thirteen.
>>
>>137643881
>>137643944

Like... "follow my lead"?

>>137647062

The "grunts" can sound similar to the untrained ear but mean different things, and more concrete things than grunts in English.

Think about an affirmative "uh-huh" vs. a negatory "uh-uh" (like "nuh-uh" without an n). Now think about if a typical Japanese listener would correctly understand the meaning and context of these English grunts, then went on 2ch to complain about how they were translated.

That's basically what you're complaining about.
>>
>>137648158
I think literally every English dub has at least one voice actor who is a parent with children. Are you sure you like English dubs?
>>
>>137648737
kinda like 'follow my lead', but it can also be used kinda like 'follow up' or 'follow on'. It's its own word really, context will dictate an appropriate translation.
>>
>>137648158
>original Japanese VA was probably equally shit
Unlikely, considering it's a much more active and competitive industry in Japan than the west. The VAs are trained properly and the conventions of the job are already well established, whereas anime is too niche in the west to have the VAs properly prepared for it.
>>
>>137648737
Like "Follow shita arigatou" meaning "Thank you for covering for me". There's contexts where the sentence is just word spaghetti if you're assuming it means the same as in English.
>>
>>137648158
If the original voice acting is shit, then you read the manga.
If it's an anime-original series, then the Japanese voices are actually canon.
>>
>>137648549
> can tell the native voice fits the character
> doesn't actually know the language
>>
>>137648158
Don't worry, anon, I used to be this retarded too. If you actually look into the Japanese va industry and learn some basic Japanese you'll start to see how wide the gap really is between English dubs and the original.
>>
>>137649002
Just because you don't know 中出しの喜び doesn't mean no one on /a/ does
>>
>>137649002
Are voices the same thing as words or something?
>>
>>137648158
Compare Ozawa Ari's Chiyo to the forty year old chain smoker in the dub and then come back to me.
>>
>>137649029

There's definitely a gap between the average modern English dub and average Japanese dub because lots of projects are done on the cheap or without good direction. The top end of the pool is pretty similar in quality in both regions, but the middle chunk of the pool tends to be larger and of higher quality in Japan.

That said, what the guy said about moeshit pandering is often true, the original dub wasn't that good.
>>
>ITT: Non moon speakers bitching about how shit should be said in moon
>>
>>137649078

sorry, should have said
> doesn't actually know the language or culture or how normal Japanese people sound like

my bad
>>
>>137649303
>implying
>>
>>137649241
>moeshit
Hi /v/. Can you give an example of what you consider a moeshit show with a bad dub?
>>
Learning nip here, wanted to get into scanlating and shit because I need some extra cash for school. What are examples of shit I should avoid?
>>
Since when do you have to speak Japanese to know that English dub actors sound like shit?
>>
>>137649414
I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about subs and translators here.
>>
>>137649398
don't scanlate because your nip is shit
>>
>>137649398
You should avoid trying to make money from scanlating, it won't work.
>>
>>137631460
>Omae

I'll translate that as "et tu", just for you
>>
>>137650187
t. Crunchyroll Sekkou Boys translator
>>
>>137650157
Yes it will.
Build up a following (may be difficult due to commies attempted monopoly)
organise a crowd funding for a new computer . Laugh as you walk to the bank
>>
>>137631632
Can't come up with a situation where WH-WHAT!? wouldn't work.
>>
>>137631767
Why? That's pretty cool, like writing the kana over the kanji, but in English.
>>
>>137631847
R.E. Gateau.
>>
>>137632182
If you don't like it, then why don't you do it better? Unless you do it better every day for 7 years like i have you can't criticize me, and by that time I'll have been doing it for 14 years so you still can't criticize me.
>>
File: 54894652168.png (80KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
54894652168.png
80KB, 500x501px
>>137650413
>>
>>137650413
>Well let's see you do it better!!
So your telling me that I'm not allowed to criticize something because I am incapable of doing it better?
Nigger get the fuck >>>/out/
>>
>>137633621
One might say, Attack on Titan is the official title and Shingeki no Kyojin is the poor translation of it.

Not denying that it's engrish
>>
>>137627828
I hate when subbers change personalities like Kaguya Hime for Chuck Norris on the subs.
>>
>>137638537
Goddammit

TLs note: mean this in a good way
>>
File: 1063206-x_men_v2__053_02_03.jpg (1MB, 882x1261px) Image search: [Google]
1063206-x_men_v2__053_02_03.jpg
1MB, 882x1261px
>>137638694
>Onslaught

Also, Eotena sounds like a cute girls name. Probably a centuries old goddess that looks inexplicably like a high school girl
>>
>>137639828
>Would you get a load of this?
>>
>>137639937
>Mr. Osomatsu
>is a NEET in his early twenties and therefore shouldn't be called Mr. by anyone.
>>
>>137642028
People who say big bro are the same people who would, after picking up a sandwich/first spoonful/first bite etc, but before actually eating anything, would say "rub-a-dub dub, thanks for the grub"
>>
>character ends sentences with -nya
>subs with every cat pun possible
>>
>>137647693
But who says papa in English? Besides bourgeoise people who are actually acting French
>>
File: 6jhUpm.jpg (17KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
6jhUpm.jpg
17KB, 320x213px
>>137647851
>>
>>137651382
>character ends sentences with -nya
Except it rarely ever as simple as that.
It's often every single instance of na -> nya.

gomenyasai
nyante
sonnya koto nyai
>>
>>137649386
Not /v/ but, Lucky Star's Kagami sucked in English. Everyone else was on point though.
>>
>>137651445
Rub an English dub, thanks for the sub(titles)
>>
>>137627828
>Characters say a single word
>Translaters put it as an entire sentence

I realize shit like 十人十色 and 神出鬼没 and other words represent ideas or sayings, but it's still jarring as fuck.
>>
>>137650719
>>137650846
This was sarcasm. I have no idea how you couldn't see it as sarcasm. Idiots.
>>
>>137649303
>he thinks normal Japanese people sound like anime
That's like thinking your average English speaker sounds like Homer Simpson, anon.
You can still tell that Dan Castellaneta is absolutely a very good voice actor.
>>
>>137649386

A recent one that comes easily to mind is Valkyrie Drive Mermaid (especially/specifically the MC). Even if the series was surprisingly good whenever it wasn't in an awkward softcore porn transformation scene.
>>
>>137651728
>It was sarcasm duh!!
Sure asshat, just admit you were wrong like a man and stop back pedaling.
>>
File: backpedal.jpg (107KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
backpedal.jpg
107KB, 500x333px
>>137651728
>i was only pretending to be retarded
>>
>>137651728
I understood it as sarcasm, but there are actually people who think like that. Probably should have uploaded a smug anime girl along with the post to make it clearer.
>>
File: 1453982078172.jpg (193KB, 881x675px) Image search: [Google]
1453982078172.jpg
193KB, 881x675px
>>137651728
>>
>>137651841

you can, but can a japanese speaker who doesn't know english tell him apart from a not that great one?

you have to have some idea what real japanese/real japanese people sound like to be able to judge what's a good and bad japanese voice acting job. unless it's REALLY good or REALLY bad. or unless you have an /a/ VIP pass i guess
>>
File: 1424625664651.png (243KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1424625664651.png
243KB, 1920x1080px
>localizing or completely changing a line, usually a joke, rather than using a short translation note to explain it
>>
>>137652039
The idea is that people actual do think like that, but pointing out the logic in how saying "you can criticize when you've been doing it as long as me" makes no sense since by then they'll have been doing it longer should have made it clear i wasn't serious.

And, noted. Smug anime girl next time.
>>
>>137628857
>replacing then with "brother" or just the name of the character
Replacing them with "Bro" really pisses me off, not only are they ignoring context, they're adding a different one. All of a sudden the cute Chinese cartoon characters sound like sweaty, Burgerlander frat boys.
>>
>>137632679
This made me laugh in the latest episode of Boku Machi.
>>
>getting autistic about little things like this

I respect your opinion to criticize, but don't get so up yourself about it.

Don't like it, don't watch it. Better yet, learn nip yourself.
>>
>Heavenrend
>>
lmao epic thread
>>
>everything commie has ever done
>>
>>137648737
>>>137647062
>
>The "grunts" can sound similar to the untrained ear but mean different things, and more concrete things than grunts in English.
>
>Think about an affirmative "uh-huh" vs. a negatory "uh-uh" (like "nuh-uh" without an n). Now think about if a typical Japanese listener would correctly understand the meaning and context of these English grunts, then went on 2ch to complain about how they were translated.
>
>That's basically what you're complaining about.
fuck off

seriously please fuck off and never post again
>>
Holy shit this thread is laughable.
I'm not an anglo, and my little sister forces me to watch shitty anime with subs that, clearly, have been google translated from some equally shitty english sub.
Think jap to english and back to jap, but with a third language. That is true hell
>>
>character says mmmm
>translates as "I agree"
>>
>>137654031
Teach your imouto English.
>>
>>137653951
You see, it doesn't work that well in English, but in other languages (like mine for example) ah, mm, ai, and eh, have meanings that can't be represented by grunts in English, that would require full sentences to convey properly.

The closest in English is uh-uh and uh-huh, but for most non-English languages that i have a passing knowledge in thats how it is
>>
File: 1455563469518.png (1MB, 1169x800px) Image search: [Google]
1455563469518.png
1MB, 1169x800px
>translated anime
>>
>>137654631
Next you'll tell me translated anything is the devil
>>
Does Horrible Subs make the good subs? Seems like they're the most popular.
>>
>>137654938
Yes
>>
>>137635375
I remember watching the first episode of that and not liking it, but it had some vehement defenders. Did it turn out to be trash?
>>
>>137656433
Yeah.
>>
>>137627828
Dropping off the face of the earth and leaving several series unfinished is pretty annoying.
>>
>>137654938
probably the best
>>
File: [peeks angrily].png (218KB, 600x568px) Image search: [Google]
[peeks angrily].png
218KB, 600x568px
>>137657125
>>137654946
>>137654938
fuck off retards
Thread posts: 256
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.