[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which do you prefer, character-driven or story-driven anime?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: 754747840804.gif (1MB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
754747840804.gif
1MB, 853x480px
Which do you prefer, character-driven or story-driven anime?
>>
yuri-driven anime, everything else is garbage
>>
>>137359756
Those are mutually exclusive?
>>
I prefer the good one.
>>
>>137359756
Yes.
>>
>>137359756
A mix of both it's the best.
But If I have to chose one, character-driven, stories without good characters are shit.
>>
>>137359756
I don't know but good characters are definitely more important than a good story.
>>
>>137360230
>>137360450
Good characters can't rescue a shit story though.
Normally a balance between those would be the best.
Though a shit story can work with good characters and vice versa. It's just harder.
>>
I prefer anime with giant robots.
>>
>>137359756
OST-driven anime.
>>
>>137360527
>Good characters can't rescue a shit story though
They can make it bearable, I'll happily watch/read something just for the character interactions, but if the characters are garbage it doesn't matter how well written the actual plot is.
>>
>>137360838
FLCL?
>>
Which series have a good story and complete forgettable characters? I can't even think about an example.
>>
>>137360920
>Though a shit story can work with good characters

Yea it can. I totally agreed with you already.
Shit characters can be bearable as well if the story is more about worldbuilding and what's actually happening instead of the characters.
>>
>>137359756
I prefer cute girls driven anime, so that I can fap to the doujins.
>>
>>137359756
I like it so long as there are cute girls.
>>
anime has to have both

don't give a shit about the plot if i don't give a shit about the characters
>>
>>137361129
How about Parasite?
>>
it depends
>>
>>137361209
>>137361262
this
>>
>>137359756
the one that ends up well done
>>
>>137359756
Story-driven with good characters.
>>
>>137359756
whichever has the better writer behind it.
>>
Story-driven anime has better characters than character-driven anime.
>>
>>137361346
Are you saying that Migi is forgettable?
>>
>>137363190
Migi's the only exception and I did think of that as I wrote that post, but in general Parasite is still a good story with forgettable characters. Migi himself wouldn't be as memorable if it weren't a freaking hand.
>>
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm27938526
;_;
>>
I don't need plot to enjoy anime, so I guess I should go with the first option.
>>
>>137360527
You don't always need to rescue the story. It can be shit and the final product can be good. Bad characters make a story bad.
>>
>>137359756
who needs either, look at dagashikashi
tits find a way
>>
I prefer something closer to a bit of both. Honestly, I really don't like it when it goes too extreme one way or the other. Fantastic characters in a poor setting feels like a restrictive waste. A great story with unlikable characters feels like the characters get in the way and you just want another story in that same world.

Although, I guess there's another way to read the question - do you prefer characters to push the plot forward or the story pushing the characters. I think again, I can like both. I think I prefer characters pushing the plot a bit more, but some series work really well in showing how the plot forces the characters into situations they wouldn't have done themselves.
>>
a-a-are characters not part of a story?
>>
>>137359756
Story driven.

"Character driven" in anime just means shit writing and fapbait/relationship simulator.
>>
>>137359756
>devastatingattack.gif
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.