[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sky Crawlers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: shot6166.jpg (219KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot6166.jpg
219KB, 1920x1080px
Why did he choose to die? I don't think he thought he could beat the Teacher.

Moreover, how did the second girl know everything about their world?
>>
The movie was an explanation for why people commit suicide in Japan. They do the same thing every day for years until they can't remember the difference between last week and last month, then they kill themselves. I don't know why the MC went after the master pilot alone. Maybe he thought he could win. Maybe he wanted to die.

You'd think he wouldn't have been caught out by the pilot's signature move after hearing about how his colleges all died the same way, though.
>>
File: shot6161.jpg (285KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot6161.jpg
285KB, 1920x1080px
>>137183025
>They do the same thing every day for years until they can't remember the difference between last week and last month, then they kill themselves.
I thought the point was that they had false memories, hence unable distinguish an event happening before another, because they were replaceable clones? I'm not sure it would be social commentary on Japan. He told the first girl that she couldn't die until she found a way to resolve the way they live. Why would he not include himself in that measure, if he now understood the same as she did?

Regardless, I still haven't found an answer to my second question. Girl 2 was one of the few who'd lived long enough to question her existence as well, sure, but why would she know that he was Jinroh and that they could have been born yesterday?
>>
>>137183025
Bumping and elaborating again on what I meant in >>137185200

The film seemed to be more about how humans cannot survive without conflict. Girl 1 was said to be self-destructing after coming to terms with (and thereby losing interest in) the conflict of their wars. Even if she could live a free life without being involved in the security company wars, she would inevitably create her own conflict. Was that perhaps what happened to Yuuichi? He needed his own conflict outside of the (essentially) pre-determined wars, so he set out to engage in it and died?
>>
I'm bumping; I'd really like to hear someone else's thoughts on the film.
>>
>>137187123
Either respond seriously, watch the film, or don't; don't shitpost in a thread intended for discussion.
>>
>>137182101
>Sasuke with a gun
Top kek
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 388x500px
>>137187678
Okay officer.
>>
>>137187971
Why the fuck not?
>>
>>137183025
holy shit, i've never know that the meaning behind this anime's story was this deep.
I thought it's just another /k/ masturbating material.
>>
>>137188557
http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/64_/s08_/000843.html

>At the climax of the movie, we hear a monologue by the main character, Yuuichi.

>But today is different from yesterday
>And tomorrow is different from today
>You can change the side of the road that you walk down every day.
>Even if the road is the same, you can still see new things.

> This is the theme of the movie and my message to the youngsters. Even if you had eternal life, your yesterday would be different from your today. Rustling of the trees, smell of the wind, warmth of a person next to you - all of which may be subtle, but these are the proofs that you're alive. If you look at our world this way, the place we are living in is not so bad at all. Your life may just be a repeat of everyday, yet everyday you will see something different. We should treasure each moment of it and make the best out of your given fate.

>I don't want to give young people a hollow sense of justice or a clichéd pep talk.
>As a filmmaker, I'd like to show them a small and quiet but truthful hope with this movie.

Mamoru Oshii
August 2008

It's not so hollow as the person you replied to makes it out to be.
>>
>>137188241
Because it leaves wrong impression.
It's like digging up a diamond in the shithole.
Having all these general threads you do not expect someone mentioning good stuff like OP and having a civilized discussion about it.
>>
File: shot6171.jpg (240KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
shot6171.jpg
240KB, 1920x1080px
>>137188749
/a/ can change. It has in the past. I'll refer you to Yuuichi's remark:

>But today is different from yesterday
>And tomorrow is different from today

Maybe if more people discussed good things on /a/, the board wouldn't be so bad.
>>
>>137182101
>literallly sasuke
>>
>>137189641
fuck off, you autistic retards
>>
Have none of you realised it's all about Camus' Myth of Sysiphus and the concept of Absurdism? It's laid on like a fucking trowel right from the first dialog scenes.
>>
>>137190939
Uhhh, no. It's not. This isn't to be rude or to denounce your interpretation, this is flat-out what Oshii said:

>Q: Another puzzling element in the movie is the quotation from Camus' The Stranger.

>A: I'm very sorry to disappoint you, but the quotation from Camus in the first lines of conversation between Yuichi and Suito has not a very deep meaning. I used it because I wanted to stage an encounter where two people, two perfect strangers are exploring each other trying to understand whether they can get along or not. Yuichi suddenly speaks this famous passage from Camus' The Stranger, "the glare of the sun was unbearable" and Suito immediately understands where those words are coming from. The two have discovered that they have something in common, they have established a contact. This is all, really.

The Camus reference was an easy way to create a symbol, little more.
>>
>>137191687
Fair comment, but bear in mind three things:

1) Postmodern critical theory gives no special precedence to the things an author says about his work. Just because Oshii says something about Sky Crawlers doesn't make it "true" or "correct". Even if you think Derrida is bunk, it's still possible that an author (or should I say "auteur" in this case) could actually not be aware of subconscious references they may make.

2) Oshii is talking about the specific quotation from Camus, not denying the Camus connection in general. Do you know anything about Absurdism and the Absurd Man? The Kildren fit the Absurd Man concept perfectly (Don Juan, Actor and Conqueror), and also Sisyphus, of course.

3) Never trust what Oshii says about anything anyway. He once described Grave of the Firefiles as an erotic tale of incest.
>>
File: AngelsEgg1985.jpg (115KB, 260x343px) Image search: [Google]
AngelsEgg1985.jpg
115KB, 260x343px
>>137191966
>1) Postmodern critical theory gives no special precedence to the things an author says about his work. Just because Oshii says something about Sky Crawlers doesn't make it "true" or "correct". Even if you think Derrida is bunk, it's still possible that an author (or should I say "auteur" in this case) could actually not be aware of subconscious references they may make.
I'm aware, and I do like Derrida, but deconstructionist principles also indicate that this work means all things between everything and nothing. It's unfair to say that something is absolutely about x using the basis of critical theory. You can surely write on the film using the Camus premise, but it's just as well that I write on the film using a radically different thesis.

>2) Oshii is talking about the specific quotation from Camus, not denying the Camus connection in general.
fair enough

>Do you know anything about Absurdism and the Absurd Man? The Kildren fit the Absurd Man concept perfectly (Don Juan, Actor and Conqueror), and also Sisyphus, of course.
The Kildren don't accept their conditions, though. They initially do because they have only just been created; they haven't had time to process reality. Kusanagi is the prime example of one who has lived long enough to fully reject her conditions and to accept the absolute value of her own death. I suppose you could say that because they die before they can come to understand these things that they meet the conditions, but Sisyphus doesn't die.

3) Never trust what Oshii says about anything anyway. He once described Grave of the Firefiles as an erotic tale of incest.
oh dear

Since you seem to be from /lit/ as well, any thoughts on Angel's Egg? I watched that too, and read like 10 interpretations - none of which quite fit the impression that film left on me. I'm addicted to Blame!, so I was kinda thinking about that most of the time.
>>
bump so I can get a civil, actually intelligent response to a reply before the thread dies
>>
>>137192392
>but Sisyphus doesn't die.
No, he doesn't, but many of the Kildren are still repeating the same task day after day, even if it's a different clone each time.

>any thoughts on Angel's Egg?
I just go with the tried and tested "it's about loss of innocence" thing. Is perhaps Takahashi's short "Love Story, Killed" inspired by it? They both have the same nightmare-like quality.

Oh, and I've never been to /lit/ as it happens, I just stick to /a/ most of the time.
>>
>>137193472
>No, he doesn't, but many of the Kildren are still repeating the same task day after day, even if it's a different clone each time.
I suppose it's just how you look at it.

>Is perhaps Takahashi's short "Love Story, Killed" inspired by it? They both have the same nightmare-like quality.
I very much doubt it. I don't really see any recurring themes between the two beyond the innocence thing.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.