[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Does /a/ like Rurouni Kenshin?
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /a/ - Anime & Manga

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 60
File: Hitokiri.jpg (169 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Hitokiri.jpg
169 KB, 1920x1200
Does /a/ like Rurouni Kenshin?
>>
4 episode ova is one of my favourite anime. I can't even get pass the first few minutes of the TV series, though. the 'ora' he says is annoying.
>>
>>>/mal/
>>
yeah
i hate these >>136150694
realism revisionist fanfiction fags
>>
File: Yatsume.jpg (14 KB, 400x279) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Yatsume.jpg
14 KB, 400x279
>>136150623
>episode where he fights venom
>>
Why are the new OVAs so fucking shit?
>>
Misao a cute
>>
>>136150623
it was good before the farming arc
>>
File: mugi nigga.jpg (203 KB, 708x847) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
mugi nigga.jpg
203 KB, 708x847
>>136150694
you can just tell they were made with tender loving care
>>
>>136150814
With Tomoe dead, she should have won the Kenshin bowl, but alas, she had to go for her edgy friend.
>>
>>136150694
Never watch the OVA where Kenshin gets AIDs and dies as a sad old man then.

But agreed, Trust & Betrayal is one of the best things to come out of Kenshin, I really wish the whole series had been like that honestly. At least Kyoto was good.
>>136150814
Best girl.
>>
>>136150789
because they try to pass it off as a crappy period drama
>>
>>136150789

wait what new OVAs? Those Kyoto ones that came out a while back?
>>
>>136150916
Yeah.
>>
File: misao name.jpg (157 KB, 793x622) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao name.jpg
157 KB, 793x622
so best
>>
File: misao 45.jpg (163 KB, 720x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao 45.jpg
163 KB, 720x600
>>
OP here. /a/ seems to like all the stuff I would watch on Toonami growing up. So what is it that makes all new shounen so shit?
>>
File: misao 43.jpg (1 MB, 675x1920) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao 43.jpg
1 MB, 675x1920
>>
>>136151116
90's were just a good time for anime
>>
>>136151116
>OP here. /a/ seems to like all the stuff I would watch on Toonami growing up.

well a lot of us also grew up on that shit

> So what is it that makes all new shounen so shit?

Well in my case I think it's an issue of overload. DBZ aside, most shows like Kenshin and YYH had the sense to end after 100 or so episodes .

Even with shows I like there's only so much I can take of any one series
>>
File: misao 5.jpg (213 KB, 511x639) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao 5.jpg
213 KB, 511x639
>>
>>136151116
Poor constructed really. A lot of them have good premises, even Naruto, it's just ultimately ruined because of how Shounen works anymore. X character is popular so shove them in it more, Y Shounen is popular so make it go longer. Even Kenshin had a lot of stupid shit in it honestly, same with Yu Yu Hakusho and even Dragonball/Z/Super. Hell I love One Piece, but even it doesn't always have great moments.

That's just long running mango for ya.
>>
File: misao wall.jpg (106 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao wall.jpg
106 KB, 1024x768
>>
File: Iwanbover3.jpg (55 KB, 363x580) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Iwanbover3.jpg
55 KB, 363x580
>>136151221
>Even Kenshin had a lot of stupid shit in it honestly,

Yeah, even the manga went to hell after Kyoto ended. Jinchu gets a lot of wank for being MANGA CANNON but it was dumb as hell
>>
this shit was dumb as hell
>>
I love the characters if kenshin but found it pretty boring overall . Great characters and premise that kind of just goes nowhere with it.
The trust and betrayal arc was nice.
>>
>>136151250
dat early 2000s aesthetic
>>
>>136151331
>early 2000s is aesthetics tier now

oh god
>>
Isn't it those filthy 11s fault that most manga/anime drag on too long though. I know it's probably just a rumor but I heard fanboy threats were responsible for Akira Toriyama making the Buu arc
>>
Kyoto though was a perfect ending to the series.

Hero finally confronts his past in full and comes to terms completing his training and facing his demons and moves on with his life with his new friends


He faces who was essentially his dark reflection

We didn't even need to know who the grave belonged too, it was always about what it represented.

10/10 ending
>>
>>136150694
>4 episode ova is one of my favourite anime.
>I can't even get pass the first few minutes of the TV series, though.

I hate OVAfags for this reason. Secondaries back in the Nineties.
>>
>>136151376
Pretty much. They didn't like Gohan so he kept shoving Goku into it and after awhile it just kept going on because of how popular it was and it was a major cash cow.
>>
>>136151376
>Isn't it those filthy 11s fault that most manga/anime drag on too long though.

Well not them specifically. The US pulls this shit a lot too. Any series that makes enough money is gonna be milked for all of it's worth.
>>
>>136150887
>I really wish the whole series had been like that honestly.

You want dull, moody Kenshin in a colorless world filled with angst and despair with his personality-bereft wife?

Disgusting.
>>
>>136151376
>Isn't it those filthy 11s fault that most manga/anime drag on too long though.
>seasonalfag

Only the most successful franchises go on forever. Like with anything else. It's not exclusive to Japan.
>>
>>136151280
>Jinchu gets a lot of wank for being MANGA CANNON but it was dumb as hell

You do realize that the OVAs came from the last arc, right?
>>
>>136151383
True Watsuki shoulda stopped there but I really enjoyed the flashback
>>
>>
>>136151433
No, I didn't mean that specifically. I meant more the art-style and how it was animated than I did just the Man-Slayer over happy-go-lucky Kenshin.
>>
>>136151486
>True Watsuki shoulda stopped there

You do realize that the OVA that OP was wanking over came from the last arc, right?
>>
>>136151499
>I meant more the art-style and how it was animated

The art style and how it was animated looks like it's from old anime.

If you were to insert manga humor into it, it would look out of place.

It would look like Seisouhen, in fact.
>>
File: Armstrong_Cannon.jpg (76 KB, 461x315) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Armstrong_Cannon.jpg
76 KB, 461x315
>>136151469
>You do realize that the OVAs came from the last arc, right?

okay? and?

That doesn't make Jinchuu not stupid as fuck
>>
>>136151499
>just the Man-Slayer over happy-go-lucky Kenshin

Ugh. You're one of those fans.
>>
OP again. Is it wrong that Misao gives me dirty thoughts when I already have a waifu?
>>
>>136151557
>okay? and?

If you want Kenshin to be OVA Kenshin all the way then you're a secondary that's the rough equivalent of a Fate Zero fag.
>>
File: misao sly.jpg (50 KB, 540x418) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao sly.jpg
50 KB, 540x418
>>136151572

it's more wrong that your waifu isn't Misao
>>
>>136151546
That's fine, I just personally preferred the art-style and animation to what we got from the actual anime most of the time.
>>136151569
I prefer happy-go-lucky Kenshin than Man-Slayer Kenshin.
>>
>>136151572
>OP is an OVAfag
>likes Misao

Doushio?
>>
>>136151622
Who doesn't love Misao?
>>
>>136151618
>That's fine, I just personally preferred the art-style and animation

And we all know how well-received Seisouhen was.
>>
>>136151594
>If you want Kenshin to be OVA Kenshin

I DON'T want Kenshin to be OVA Kenshin you phenomenal shit. I want the series to end at Kyoto because everything after it is fucking garbage.

The whole point Im making is that BOTH the anime filler and manga material that came afterwards where bad.
>>
>>136151618
>I prefer happy-go-lucky Kenshin than Man-Slayer Kenshin.

Yet you favor the OVA style over the anime style?
>>
>>136151644
Probably had more to do with the fact that it was stupid in plot than it's animation and art-style.
>>
>>136150623
I liked the manga quite a lot, though it's been some time since I've read it. I remember someone on /a/ posting screen of a ruroken remake character designs. I was rather disappointed in the changes from what I remember, mostly the lack of Spawn cape on Hiko Seijuro.
>>
>>136151622

OP again. I will be honest. I have never seen the OVAs. Im rewatching the series after many years and then im going to watch them for fear of spoilers. My Waifu however is Eve from Black Cat
>>
>>136151648
>manga material that came afterwards where bad.
>OVA that's favored over the anime by many secondaries
>bad

I hate secondaries for taking a piss at the anime after watching the OVA first, but that doesn't mean Tsuiokuhen is filth.
>>
Saito should have been the main villain. Shishio was shit.
>>
>>136151666
If you have happy-go-lucky Kenshin in that art style, it would look off.

Hell, happy-go-lucky Kenshin there looked totally out of place.
>>
>>136151708

Also the OVA is incredibly overrated
>>
File: Fuko7.png (189 KB, 398x636) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Fuko7.png
189 KB, 398x636
speaking of 90s shounen

More people need to give Recca love. Fuuko is awesome
>>
>>136151738
This.

>>136151708
Disagree. Shishio made Saito his bitch and survived a more powerful version of the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki.
>>
>Best arc was never animated
>>
>>136150694
Secondary detected.

You >>136151761 and you >>136151648. Duke it out. Was Jinchuu shit or not?
>>
>>136151703

The thing is Trust and Betrayel isn't about Enishi's stupid revenge plan with his band of stupid shitty villains.

It focused COMPLETELY on the prequel stuff. There where no robo puppets, no gun arm dude, no kenshin wallowing in pitty and no KAORU'S DEAD oh wait not really.
>>
File: RK042-18.jpg (198 KB, 725x1100) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
RK042-18.jpg
198 KB, 725x1100
>read the manga several times, mostly when I was younger
>have entire series on external
>never watched it
>>
What if Kenshin was a grill?
>>
>>136150623
First OVA was great
>>
>>136151803
>It focused COMPLETELY on the prequel stuff.
>liking prequels

George Lucas/10.
>>
>>136151708
I was really hoping that after the Jinchuu arc, Saito and Kenshin could have their fight, especially what with the letter of challenge. The end to that particular story was all-right on its own though.
>>
>>136151803
>no kenshin wallowing in pitty and no KAORU'S DEAD

Instead we got Kenshin wallowing in pity because TOMOE'S DEAD.
>>
>>136151648

You can insult Jinchuu all you want but without Enishi the story wraps rather poorly.
>>
File: ruroken Geezer.jpg (55 KB, 389x497) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ruroken Geezer.jpg
55 KB, 389x497
>>136151791
>Was Jinchuu shit or not?

It was complete shit. After all the effort the Kyoto arc did about moving Kenshin past his past what do they do?

>Another asshole with a grudge is back for revenge

Top it off with the worst villain team in the series, the rest of characters resulted to filler, pointless ANGST and shock value and OH BY THE WAY THIS DUDE'S TOMOE'S DAD. He just happened to be there.

Kyoto was an ending. Jinchu was Watsuki and his Editor realizing how much they like money.
>>
File: 1440916140010.gif (330 KB, 370x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1440916140010.gif
330 KB, 370x200
>>136150694
Leave and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
>>
>>136151873
I disagree with him shitting on Jinchuu, but I also disagree with you saying the story wraps up poorly.

If Kenshin ended on the Kyoto Arc, I'd be perfectly fine with it.
>>
File: 1452592755745.gif (1 MB, 300x200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1452592755745.gif
1 MB, 300x200
>>136150694
>ora

ORAORAORAORA
>>
>>136151873
>without Enishi the story wraps rather poorly.

How? Like I said above. Tomoe's story is not that important. We don't NEED to know to happened. Just that it was a tragedy and that he made terms with it.
>>
>>136151896
Your headcanon isn't going to make the Jinchuu arc any less canon. And the Kyoto arc doesn't deal with Kenshin's past nearly as much as Jinchuu does. All it did was reveal who trained Kenshin into the swordsman he is and who his successor as the Battousai was. It didn't deal with why he is the way he is like the flashbacks in Jinchuu.
>>
>>136151896
>about moving Kenshin past his past
That actually never happened in the manga.

>Another asshole with a grudge is back for revenge
Actually, Enishi is _the_ asshole with the grudge out for revenge. Arguably Kenshin's origin story in one guy.

Like Genos finding the cyborg that killed his family. Without him, Kenshin's story would be incomplete.
>>
>>136151954
>we don't need to know why Kenshin had a non-killing vow and why he got his scar

Uh, no?
>>
The Jinchuu arc WOULD have been the best if the author had the balls to make pic related real.
>>
>>136151962
>Your headcanon isn't going to make the Jinchuu arc any less canon.

Im not arguing canon. Im arguing quality.

>It didn't deal with why he is the way he is like the flashbacks in Jinchuu.

It was explained quite clearly in his reunion with Hiko. He was too brash and couldn't ignore what was going on with the war so he got involved.

Shit got bad, as war does and it the event both mentally and figuratively scarred him.

> Arguably Kenshin's origin story in one guy.

Hardly. It was just pointless details for people to dense to figure out that, surprise surprise, war has a huge effect on people.

His origin works just as well with out with him
>>
>>136152048
This is so true.
>>
>>136152061
Actually, it was Kyoto Arc that was the filler arc. Watsuki said himself that if it were up to him, the story would be about Kenshin meeting Kaoru then straight to Enishi.
>>
>>136151896
I agree with this. When I was younger I loved Jinchu but when I went back and reread it years later, I realized it wasn't as well written or thought out. The enemy team really was the weakest out of the series and some of their motives were questionable. I think it was also a bit silly that the answer Kenshin came up with at the end involved continuing to fight for all the lives taken, and then he just retires 5 years later and gives up the sword.
>>
>>136150623
He's too much of a moralfag to be likable. To the point he could've prevented a lot of suffering off innocent people i he hadn't become such a pussy.
>>
>>136152048
I imagine the only reason he didn't was fan backlash
>>
>>136151992
>Uh, no?

No. He fought in a bloody civil war. Im sorry you can't put two and two together.

His origin works just as well if you just write it all off as an effect of the war. He got scars from fighting, and he killed so many people it nearly broke him and he had enough.
>>
>>136152048
>>136152077
>le dead leading lady

Haven't seen that before.

>>136152100
>prevented a lot of suffering

He did. By killing for the government as Battousai.
>>
>>136152128
>No. He fought in a bloody civil war.

Write a fanfic about it, filthy secondary.
>>
>>136152128
I hate Kyoto Arc fags almost as bad as 1st OVAfags.

Birds of the same secondary feather flock together in ignorance.
>>
>>136150814
Misao sold this series to me.
>>
>>136152133
>Haven't seen that before.

It's a giant fake out. That's a fake body that's so good it fooled everyone's inspections. Kaoru's on some stupid island because Enishi can't kill her for real because.....reasons that make no sense
>>
>>136152061
>I'm not arguing canon
>Kyoto was an ending.
And no, it wasn't

>It was explained quite clearly in his reunion with Hiko
Again, no, it wasn't. It his reunion with Hiko did was elaborate on his relationship with Hiko, not much else. It doesn't delve into the events that made him vow to never kill another human being again, which is one of hi most important characterisations. It's really shitty writing if the author's explanation for this kind of thing is "Oh yeah, this bad thing happened that one time, the end".
>>
>>136150759
Episode where he fights Japanese venom.

Also, Yahiko fought Japanese Batman.

And Kenshin beat Japanese Wolverine too.
>>
>>136152048
I remember freaking out when I was first reading this all those years ago. Then the ass pull happened and I felt a bit cheated. Though I'm fine with Kenshin getting a happy ending after all the shit he went through.
>>
>>136152202
He's arguing that it's better if Kenshin ended in Kyoto. not if a Kyoto ending is canon or not, you semantic-spewing mangafag.
>>
>>136152232
>He's arguing that it's better if Kenshin ended in Kyoto.
And it isn't. Too many questions about Kenshin remain unanswered otherwise.
>>
>>136152202
>>Kyoto was an ending.

Kyoto SERVED as an ending. It wrapped up all the major themes and the elements of the series.

> It's really shitty writing if the author's explanation for this kind of thing is "Oh yeah, this bad thing happened that one time, the end".

NO! What's bad written is to assume that a character is only defined by one over dramatic key moment instead of year and years of experiences.

Even if you don't have the same experiences he did you're not gonna walk away from that war the same person you entered.

The story isn't about a man reeling from the death of his wife, it's about a former soldier in a post war environment
>>
File: 1392779919314.png (149 KB, 500x281) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1392779919314.png
149 KB, 500x281
1st OVA > Manga > Anime (Kyoto Arc) > Anime (Post Kyoto) > Seisouhen > Shit > New Kyoto Arc
>>
>>136152048
Not really. How would Kenshin have finally been able to move on from his past if it actually succeeded in biting him in the ass?
>>
>>136152253
>Too many questions about Kenshin remain unanswered otherwise.
see >>136152128
>No. He fought in a bloody civil war. Im sorry you can't put two and two together.
>His origin works just as well if you just write it all off as an effect of the war.
>>
>>136152253
>Too many questions about Kenshin remain unanswered otherwise.

And the series was better for not answering them. We don't need to know this shit. Do you need to know what Kenshin ate for dinner during the war?
>>
>>136152209
Shishio was Japanese Mum-Ra?
>>
File: misaos.gif (93 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misaos.gif
93 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>136152316
>comparing the mystery behind his scar and his motivation to not kill to what he ate for dinner during the war
>not false equivalence

Try again.
>>
File: misao 4.jpg (68 KB, 347x613) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao 4.jpg
68 KB, 347x613
>>
>>136152200
>It's a giant fake out. That's a fake body that's so good it fooled everyone's inspections.

I thought you were arguing for Kaoru getting killed (cliche) as opposed to the fake out (actually original).
>>
>>136152349
>>comparing the mystery behind his scar

IT WASN'T A FUCKING MYSTERY. Do you really need an explanation as to why a former soldier might have a scar?
>>
>>136152388
>it wasn't a mystery that his wife and her previous lover gave him that pair of scars

U-huh.
>>
>>136152413

You mean the wife that was introduced after the fact?
>>
>>136152200
>Enishi can't kill her for real because
She reminds him of Tomoe.

Kenshin is also reminded of Tomoe by Kaoru, hence him gravitating towards her.
>>
>>136152426
It was planned from the start, though. Kyoto Arc is the filler arc.
>>
>>136152316
>>136152303
>There are people who actually think a generic "le open to interpretation XD" ending is better than an actual backstory that gives the MC a legitimate reason for having these very important personality traits and further fleshing out his character

I knew /a/ had shit taste, but this is ridiculous.
>>
>>136152284
>It wrapped up all the major themes and the elements of the series.

Like why Kenshin doesn't kill and why he went from Battousai to wanderer?

Oh wait. No it totally doesn't wrap things up.

>The story isn't about a man reeling from the death of his wife, it's about a former soldier in a post war environment
>muh headcanon
>muh fanfiction

You're worse than Star Wars fans.
>>
>>136152436

Which is idiotic because they couldn't be more different people

>>136152459

It's not open interpretation and the back story didn't actually ADD anything to the character.
>>
>>136152459
What's with Murricans and their stupidity when it comes to endings? Why do they always want things spelled out for them? Why do they always want a Hollywood ending with a wedding and a kiss?
>>
>>136152488
>Like why Kenshin doesn't kill and why he went from Battousai to wanderer?

NEWS FLASH! Killing's bad. He got enough of it in the war.
>>
>>136152499
>Which is idiotic because they couldn't be more different people

In terms of headstrong girl that falls in love with Kenshin, they're very much alike.
>>
>>136152436
To be fair, Kaoru is pretty much perfection.
>>
I love Rurouni Kenshin.
>>
File: misao shorty.gif (14 KB, 600x800) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao shorty.gif
14 KB, 600x800
Im posting more Misao
>>
>>136152499
>his reason for being doesn't add anything to his character

Listen to yourself.


>>136152517
>NEWS FLASH! Killing's bad.

If you thought that was the message of Kenshin, then you really are an ignorant secondary that should fuck off to Toonami.
>>
File: misao 3.jpg (82 KB, 500x740) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao 3.jpg
82 KB, 500x740
>>
>>136152536
>blowjob height

Lucky guy. He got a manga version of Aoi Yuuki.
>>
>>136152326
And Saito was the Japanese Dirty Harry.
>>
>>136152499
>>136152503
>It's not open interpretation
Except it is. Without the Jinchuu arc, we don't KNOW why Kenshin is how he is, we don't know why he vowed to never kill anyone, we don't know why he has that prominent scar on his face and we don't know why he's a Rurounim ya know, the fucking title of the series. Without the Jinchuu arc, all these aspects of the story are nothing but speculation

>and the back story didn't actually ADD anything to the character.
Except it did. Because now we know that Kenhin has a genuine justification for his moralfaggotry and how he developed from his younger days. Your shitty "DUDE WAR LMAO" excuse doesn't serve as any kind of conclusion to Kenshin's story, it's a fucking cop-out.
>>
>>136152539
>Listen to yourself.

Listen to yourself. You don't think someone who's killed what must be HUNDREDS of people in a violent and bloody battle can't be effected by the violence and carnage unless it happens to someone HE specifically cares about?

That doesn't make him more complex in the slightest. THE WAR FUCKING ENDED and so too would his need to kill. He was a young man ill prepared for what he was getting himself into and it broke him.

THAT'S a complex character. Not WOE IS ME MAI WAIFU IS DEAD NOW! WEEP FOR THE TRAGEDY!

>If you thought that was the message of Kenshin, then you really are an ignorant secondary that should fuck off to Toonami.

I didn't saw it was the point, edgelord but it's just as easy to assume that someone who has killed as much as he has came to learn to significance of it and how much weight taken a life has.
>>
I liked this scene. It still gets to me on rewatches.
>>
What did you guys think about the live action movies?
>>
File: misao aoshi.jpg (60 KB, 603x646) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao aoshi.jpg
60 KB, 603x646
>>136152561

Aoshi is inhumanly tall
>>
>>136152654
Based as fuck
>>
>>136152654
Don't like how they made Aoshi and Sanosuke look, otherwise it's pretty good
>>
>>136152625
>THAT'S a complex character.
No, it isn't. That's just saying "lol war is bad guise" without ever exploring how it specifically affected him.
>>
File: misao aosh.jpg (333 KB, 722x1000) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao aosh.jpg
333 KB, 722x1000
>>136152654

they where not very good.

Especially how they handled the Aoshi story. Okina actually dying actually ruined it
>>
>>136152625
>. You don't think someone who's killed what must be HUNDREDS of people in a violent and bloody battle can't be effected by the violence and carnage

Nice Strawman and headcanon.

Had Tomoe not been there, Kenshin would've ended up deranged like Jine or like his real-life counterpart.

>THAT'S a complex character.
>muh headcanon interpretation of him is a complex character

>>>/fanfiction.net/
>>
>>136152670
He's only six feet two inches in the land of manlets and gidgets.

No, he's not. He's gaijin tall, that's all.
>>
I would like it if the Jinchu arc was different, but I really don't know how to change it. I mean, I like the idea of the Enishi and those "comrades" all taken revenge on Kenshin, but the means to do went way too far, plus the characters to all that arch were pretty lame.

Minus Gein, desu. He was kinda cool.

To bad that arch was never animated though to the main series. Would have loved to see the dub on Toonamo. Orororo~ @[email protected]''
>>
>>136152625
He would've continued working (killing) for the goverment if her bitch hadn't die because of him.
>>
>>136152625
Thank god you're not the mangaka for RK. You'd ruin it forever.
>>
>>136152695
>how it specifically affected him.

You mean aside from the part where it shattered his naivete and thrust him into a world he wasn't near as ready for as he though leaving him a broken wreck who is constantly battling the killer inside of him.
>>
>>136152730
>but the means to do went way too far

I wouldn't mind Enishi pulling a Count of Monte Cristo on Kenshin, except he'll have a hard time judging him because of all the good he did in his life.
>>
>>136152730
>Minus Gein
Really, that's all I'd do to make the Jinchuu arc better. Just have it be Enishi and Gein taking on Kenshin and co. Forget the rest of the fodder that were in that team.
>>
>>136152750
>muh ambiguous origin story
>muh Joker

It's like I really am at /co/.
>>
>>136152750
We see literally none of that before the Jinchuu arc.
>>
File: misao05.jpg (37 KB, 353x330) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao05.jpg
37 KB, 353x330
>>
>>136152773
That's a short story with Kenshin sub characters doing nothing.
>>
>>136150623
They did him wrong towards the end of his life.
>>
File: sword AIDS.jpg (33 KB, 1024x562) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sword AIDS.jpg
33 KB, 1024x562
The only thing I'll remove is sword AIDS.

That's it. Since New Kyoto Arc isn't canon.
>>
>>136152826
The sub characters weren't important to the story of that arc anyway.
>>
>>136152800
>le agent of chaos man

>>136152853
Did you by any chance write the first half of Seisouhen? Because that's how your suggestions to improve Kenshin read like.
>>
>>136152800
>A well documented and major portion of Japanese history is ambiguous

really guy?

>>muh Joker

Nice Strawman scarecrow.

>>136152807
>We see literally none of that before the Jinchuu arc.

We see it in every thing he says and does. Right int he first fucking chapter and episode he speaks with weighted words about how Kaoru's kamiya kashin is naive and that swords are in fact tools for killing and no words or ideals will change that fact. We see a whole shit ton of enemies from his past come after him.

It's not subtle.
>>
>>136152883
>A well documented and major portion of Japanese history
>is somehow enough to explain away Kenshin's personal story because muh Kyoto arc

And this is why I hate filthy secondaries.
>>
File: misao kenshin.png (93 KB, 861x591) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao kenshin.png
93 KB, 861x591
>>
>>136152883
>We see it in every thing he says and does.
>I want it to be open so that my interpretation of what he says and does is canon

Write a fanfic about it.
>>
>>
>>136152942
Saito obviously.
>>
File: Hajime_Saito.jpg (41 KB, 414x350) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Hajime_Saito.jpg
41 KB, 414x350
>>136152970

Tokiko is a lucky women

also that Eiji kid is gonna grow up to be super badass
>>
>>136152852
Fucking this.

The ending was supposed to show that Kenshin's body is too beat up to do HMR anymore, not him having leprosy because he can unsheathe his sword at supersonic speeds.

Shit's stupid.
>>
>>136152883
>We see it in every thing he says and does.
No, we don't you pretentious idiot. Kenshin isn't some portrait hanging in a hall that college students spend hours on end staring at, trying to interpret why the curtains are coloured blue. He's a character. The main character, no less. If he isn't fleshed out, he just turns into a caricature with no real reason to be there in the first place, and no reason to have the values that he does.
>>
>>136152970
Good taste.
>>136152942
Saito. Misao is Aoshi-only, Kaoru is blander than I thought possible and Megumi has rough hatesex with Sano, and I don't want to get in between that. Sano visiting his hometown was honestly one of my favourite parts of the entire manga.
>>
>>136153029
>Megumi has rough hatesex with Sano

Completely fanon.
>>
>>136153009
>He's a character.


AND ACTIONS DEFINE A CHARTER! Not shit you add onto his back story.

His words define him.
His actions define him.

It's not an issue of interpretation it's a you being to dense to pick up on shit that's not screamed at you in as specific a detail as possible
>>
>>136150623
Didn't some nationalistic nips shit on this series?

Apparently it somehow "mocked"and criticized Japanese imperial period or some shit.
>>
File: misao aoshi tea.png (55 KB, 414x700) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
misao aoshi tea.png
55 KB, 414x700
Misao's mission is clear

she must destroy all the tea
>>
remember that episode where Aoshi gave Kenshin a foot massage

with his own feet
>>
>>136153079
>AND ACTIONS DEFINE A CHARTER!
No, you're not watching the Batman films, lad. A character is someone with a story to tell. This is writing 101. Any decent character in fiction has a story behind what he does and what he says. Saying "it wuz war" doesn't tell shit. And it doesn't add any complexity to a character like you think it does.It's just lazy.
>>
>>136153126

I wouldn't be surprised. They can get their panties in a bunch if Japan's ever not YAMATO BANZAI! SIEG ZEON!
>>
>>136153155
That's probably the best filler episode. I wish we got more silly slice of life episodes like that instead of Feng Sui and Christianity.
>>
>>136153181
>Saying "it wuz war" doesn't tell shit.


NEITHER DOES SAYING

>Duuuuur I accidently killed my own wife

>And it doesn't add any complexity to a character like you think it does

Not every character needs a complex background because the complexity can come from him in the actually ongoing narrative. I.e how his vows and actions shape the story.

How can he beat Shishio without killing him, is complexity for example. He has a goal and the way to achieve it filled with various challenges.

>It's just lazy.

And adding in a FORCED tragedy is just cheap. It's a cheap play for drama and a cheap way to sum the character up in one small scene.
>>
File: Da Kenshin.jpg (166 KB, 800x1319) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Da Kenshin.jpg
166 KB, 800x1319
>Falling in love with a Rei-clone
>>
>>136153301
But Tomoe is best girl.
>>
So should I watch the first OVA first, then the main series?
>>
>ITT: resolving the cognitive dissonance between realizing you like something that is popular by creating unpopular, nonsensical opinions on its minutiae.

The last half of the manga with the cross-wearing One Piece villain and his motley crew of special snowflakes was great! The OVAs were terrible. N-normies get o-out!
>>
>>136153543
>passive aggressive nonsense replying to no one in particular

Back to Tumblr you go.
>>
>>136153126
Is it the Christian Arc?
>>
>>136150623
Loved it as a kid but I missed a lot of it (particularly after the early parts) and ultimately don't remember a whole lot. I'd probably still enjoy it now but would have a lot of trouble getting past the dated parts, like the voice acting (can't stand Kenshin's Japanese voice but the speech patterns of his English dialogue bug me too). Maybe I'll rewatch it someday.
>>
File: Sojiro the Tenken.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Sojiro the Tenken.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
>>136150623
Friendly reminder that Sojiro was the best character. He was ridiculously overpowered.
>>
File: 48164495_p1.jpg (209 KB, 500x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
48164495_p1.jpg
209 KB, 500x600
>>136152529
>artist deleted their pix account
>can't find them on twit


>>136154138
Sojiro,Yutaro and Misao were best characters.
Saito and Aoshi are up there and the crossdresser.

I kind of wish Nobu would have did more drawings with the character's alt designs, Kaoru looks a bit more 'fun' in them.
>>
>>136153047
Completely correct anon, but one I cherish because I like their dynamic and dislike how they literally but Sano on a boat and pushed him out to sea.
>>
>>136154691
The anime seemed to try and kind of push them a bit even though she loved the manlet.
>>
Shishio is a shit, put Kenshin through two bosses without healing and still lost.
>>
>>136155488
Only because Shishio had a terrible END score thanks to his poor rolls and backstory modifier while Kenshin had an above average END score. Shishio also had to fight three boss characters prior as well, though the GM preventing the assassination attempt from working was kinda dickish.
>>
Post Kyoto Arc (Anime) is the best.
>>
>>136150830
> look at me, do I meme well enough?
Please post any possible resemblance between Kenshin And Thorfin besides both have quitted killing.
Ruroken and Farmland saga have nothing in common.
>>
>snarky kuudere dies
>settles with a love sick genki
>>
>>136151896
>Jinchuu
It was about Kenshin's past coming to haunt him. We heard of the things he did as Batosai but not much of his effects on others. In many ways, Kenshin caused Enishi to become the way he was.
>>
>>136152654
After the Dragon Ball movie and shit, I was pleasantly surprised.
>>
>>136155568
Shishio fights were easy, half stats Saitou, low hp Aoshi, Sano.

Soujiro was the true boss of that arc, Shishio is just that final phase boss that is easier than the last but casts a drop all hp to 1 on the first turn.
>>
>>136152700
>Okina dying
He died?
>>
>>136157215
>Soujiro
Yes.
>>
>>136157267
>no spinoff about him
>>
>>136157411
>Rurouni Soujiro
>>
>>136157121
That's one of the reasons why Enishi is my favourite Kenshin villain. He was essentially a monster that Kinshin himself created.
>>
>>136151116
Not so fast! Apparently /a/ hates Inuyasha.
>>
File: kenshin_happy.jpg (124 KB, 600x454) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kenshin_happy.jpg
124 KB, 600x454
We can all agree that Kenshin is best girl right?
>>
>>136152654
My father told me he watched it yesterday and he said it was great.
Not that he has good taste in movies or would read cartoons for little children.
>>
File: 1430042763730.gif (113 KB, 360x360) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1430042763730.gif
113 KB, 360x360
>>136157928
>tfw you won't ever win the Orobowl
>>
>>136150694
>ora
its "oro" you autistic deaf fag
>>
>>136152048
when this tank was released in my country a friend of mine was so assblasted for this sole page
even more, I feed that rage for the shit n giggles because I had the japanese tanks and know the whole story beforehand
sadly my friend couldnt read the rest of Kenshin because he got killed by some burglar nigger
/blogshit
>>
>>136157928
No, that would be Kamatari.
>>
>>136154138
He's the only "overpowered, psychopathic kid" anime archetype that I actually liked. He hated Kenshin, but also deeply respected him, to the point where he wanted to live his life the same way Kenshin did to truly understand him. It's also nice that his age made him more understandably susceptible to believing in "hard truths." If he was an adult, he'd look like an edgelord supreme like Shishio.
>>
>>136154138
This I agree. I wish he came back for the final arcs as an ally. Would've added so much more flavour to the Jinchuu arc
>>
>>136157267
>>136157215
>Soujiro was the true boss of that arc

Shishio would easily kill Soujiro. You kill speed with precision and Shishio is precise.
>>
>>136160406
>overpowered
>a psychopath that blindly follows Shishio's every word

Pffft. Shishio can easily manipulates Soujiro's mind then fries him.

>>136160445
>have Soujiro come back
>the whole arc already has issues with the number of enemies the other characters has to fight

Jesus Christ you guys are idiots when it comes to writing, aren't you?
>>
>>136154138
>ridiculously overpowered
>couldn't survive an Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki like Shishio
>only had Kenshin as his enemy when Kenshin is naturally weak against his fighting style
>has a simple move set that's predictable save for his speed
>was defeated with one move
>unstable and psychotic unlike Shishio that's cold, calculating, and truly believes in what he preaches

Yeah, no. Fanon.
>>
>>136150623
The manga, Yes. It was a fucking masterpiece.
The anime, shit was un-watchable
>>
>>136150623
It has a special place in my heart as it was grandpa's favorite anime.
>>
>>136157215
>Soujiro was the true boss of that arc
>true boss
>couldn't beat Kenshin
>Shishio was able to block the Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki with timing and strength instead of speed, which means the weaker Shun Ten Satsu that's as fast as the ARH would be blocked by him while he gives Soujiro his Hannibal Lecter speech if they were to fight

Soujiro wouldn't stand a chance.
>>
>>136150694
> "ora"

Too much Jojo eh?
>>
>>136160699
Not him, but Kenshin's very existence was Soujiro's weakness, and he fell apart mentally before they even got "serious." If anything Kenshin was the hard counter to Soujiro.
>>
Post your favorite song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMRx4OkBSI8
>>
>>136160960
>Kenshin's very existence was Soujiro's weakness

And Soujiro prior to his breakdown was Kenshin's weakness (faster than him, more willing to kill).

If Shishio were to fight Soujiro, he'd break him down mentally before going in for the kill with a blocked Shun Ten Satsu.
>>
>>136160699
>>136160823
The only reason he lost against Kenshin was because he played child psychologist and broke him. He would still stand a chance if he didn't succumb to Kenshin's manipulation
>>
>>136161025
I have to agree with you in that Shishio must also be stronger than Soujiro, since their hierarchy coincides with their fighting ability. It's still hard to gauge if Shishio actually had a tougher fight than any of the other characters though, since fighting with a time limit was a pretty huge handicap for him.
>>
>>136150623
I really liked the TV series despite the weird filler ending. I've been meaning to read the manga and watch the OVAs. Artowrk of Kaoru and Kenshin together makes me feel warm inside and I actually really liked the cheesyness of the combat. Shouting attack names and random magical shit I mean.
>>
>>136157215
>Shishio fights were easy, half stats Saitou, low hp Aoshi, Sano.
>implying that's not the genius of Shishio

Shishio set up the fights so that all of them would reach him damaged.

That's why he dominated and that's why he did three perfect runs on all of them. Because he fights smart.

Soujiro is too brainwashed to fight an evil genius like Shishio.
>>
>>136161223
>The only reason he lost against Kenshin was because he played child psychologist and broke hi

That only reason is the exact reason why Kenshin will always win against Soujiro.

> He would still stand a chance if he didn't succumb to Kenshin's manipulation

He couldn't because Soujiro's strength was from his blind faith in Shishio. Break that down and he's nothing.

Shishio and Saito would probably use the same tactic too.

>>136161025
>since fighting with a time limit was a pretty huge handicap for him.

The only reason they went beyond 15 minutes was because everyone bum-rushed him.

He takes them all out one-on-one. Including Kenshin, actually.
>>
File: 590.png (248 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
590.png
248 KB, 640x480
>>136150623
>tfw no blu-ray and still these shitty dvds. Come on...
>>
>>136161906
Wasn't there a bd release?
>>
>>136161751
meant to reply to >>136161243 in regards to the handicap
>>
>>136162263
yooooooo
>>
File: 1391633064707.gif (2 MB, 339x187) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391633064707.gif
2 MB, 339x187
>>136162263
yooooooooooooooooo
>>
I started rewartchkng the series on netflix this week. It's a shame they're only providing the first season so far.

It also sucks that the subs completely omit entire lines of dialogue almost once per episode (sometimes more)
>>
>>136162263
>>
>>136150623
the reverse blade thing was stupid as hell
why didn't he just commission a sword with no blade, or learn to use a bo staff or something?
>>
>>136150623
I-it's not like a don't like it

b-baka
>>
>>136152048
maybe

but my heart wouldn't take it, so I'm kinda glad he pussed out
>>
>>136162595
It was his given to him by his blacksmith, who had his own reasons for forging the reverse blade (symbolism, etc.) well before the war ended. This parting gift helped Kenshin move forward with his true desire to save others.

Plus, it has non-lethal utility, as we see him use it as a general-purpose cutting tool multiple times.
>>
>>136162595
Front side = going forward
Back side = going back

pretty much was designed for that reason
>>
>>136160708
>The manga, Yes. It was a fucking masterpiece.
>The anime, shit was un-watchable

>people actually believe this

the manga went to shit
>>
>>136163129
>the anime
Blame Furuhashi. Every fucking thing he touches turns into shit.

Gundam Unicorn is the best example of this faggot's destructive hands
>>
>>136150623

It's amazing until after Kyoto arc, then it's not bad it's just meandering and pointless, gets a decent ending unlike the shitty carry on in the manga

>people actually liked the Jinchuu shitfest

Requiem for the Ishin Patriots was fucking rad as well
>>
>>136163214
Gundam Unicorn is the best thing that has happend in a long time in gundam you gigantic faggot
>>
Somehow it never occurred to me that I don't really know the ending of Ruroni Kenshin. I think I've lost interest after Christians or German soldiers or something.
>>
>>136163456
Yeah look who fucked up episode 4 and the ending, you're an even bigger faggot

It was rushed, many important parts were cut out and changed. The only reason Gundam UC was able to sell is because of the ten thousand gunplas that they squeezed out of this bullshit
>>
>>136150623
Is pretty much X-men with samurai so yes
>>
>>136160623
Nobu wanted to bring him back, but I agree too many characters.
>>
>>136150623
From the thumbnail I thought he playing the violin.
>>
File: Selection_025.png (59 KB, 189x296) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Selection_025.png
59 KB, 189x296
The OP gets stuck in my head sometimes. Does my brain hate me? This singing sounds fucking awful by anyone's standards. She sounds like she's being strangled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCDvefIO_08
>>
>>136166749
Couldn't listen for more than 10 seconds
>>
>>136152654
I was having some pizza at pizza hut and some random channel was airing the first two movies so I only caught some glimpses of it as I couldn't listen to the TV and I found the cinematography to be really amazing
>>
File: 1451833892268.gif (2 MB, 500x375) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451833892268.gif
2 MB, 500x375
>>136166749
I like it.

Granted, I am no musician.
>>
>>136150623
Yeah, but I don't like the Enichi arc, and I tend to skip out on the Kenshin-Shishio fight. The former botched its potential by making most antagonists a bunch of thugs, and Kenshin defeating Shishio with some kind of extra-powerful Amakakeru Ryū no Hirameki (googled it) makes no fucking sense since the problem of using that attack was that it was difficult to hold it back enough for it to be non-lethal.
>>
>>136150853
>>136150887
>>136152198
>not Megumi
Plebs.
>>
>>136151492
First trap I ever fapped to.
Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 60
Thread DB ID: 445418



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.