[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets say you are making a romance anime. Is it necessary for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 8

File: 1449919861403.png (8KB, 408x286px) Image search: [Google]
1449919861403.png
8KB, 408x286px
Lets say you are making a romance anime. Is it necessary for the heroines to be "pure" in order to be a financially successful anime? I am talking NGE, Kidou Senshi Gundam and Bakemonogatari level of success.

No "muh genus", no "muh cucks", no realism. The only important part of this question is: Will the anime sell if the heroine is anything less than a holy maiden? How far can we go and still be successful enough to warrant a second season? What is necessary for a long running franchise (4+ seasons of 12 episodes each).

>http://www.someanithing.com/312
Pre-1999 Dvd releases. The "Total sales" column gives the number of dvds sold.
>http://www.someanithing.com/1
Post-2000 dvd releases. The "Total" column gives the number of dvds sold.

Each dvd or volume contains 1-4 episodes and costs USD 50 on average when bought directly from their distributor. For comparison see One Punch Man dvd 1-4
>http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_ja_JP=%E3%82%AB%E3%82%BF%E3%82%AB%E3%83%8A&url=node%3D2147354051&field-keywords=one+punch+man&rh=n%3A561958%2Cn%3A!562012%2Cn%3A!3824521%2Cn%3A!616892011%2Cn%3A16378461%2Cn%3A2147354051%2Ck%3Aone+punch+man
>>
This article is to give an idea of how much an episode of anime costs to produce.
>http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2011/10/30-1/how-much-does-one-episode-of-anime-cost-to-make
long story short a season of 12 episodes would cost a studio about 1 750 000 USD. Keep in mind that DVD/BD sales are not the only way for the production group to recuperate their investment but it is the easily measurable and the one I have the most information on.
>>
>>136120163
Doesn't really matter. Heroine can be a huge slut, but she can only be a slut for the self-insert. All other men have to be eunuchs. Women not interested in the self-insert have to die.

Them's the breaks.
>>
>>136120496
I find that weird. Why is it that any sort of female character who's not just a a wet dream for those who self insert immediately leads to failure? Do people in general just hate anyone who is "unpure" or does not show interest in the self-insert character?
>>
>>136120496
Kannnagiiiiiiiiii
>>
File: 46644 (1).jpg (44KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
46644 (1).jpg
44KB, 225x350px
Taiga was a little slutty to be honest.
>>
Has there been a non-milf character that is confirmed to have had sex during their life perhaps even multiple times that was NOT immediately hated by /a/?
>>
>>136120845
she was also worst girl
>>
>>136120932
>NOT immediately hated by /a/
Probably not anon but please phrase your sentences better. The purpose of this thread is to discuss the nieche industry that rests entirely on otakus disposable income, people whose culture we share here.
For better or worse /a/ might be the best representation of the japanese otaku consumer on 4chan short of /jp/
It can be a sensitive topic if the discussion starts to become too close to home
>>
File: 1444853040400.jpg (560KB, 1048x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1444853040400.jpg
560KB, 1048x1920px
>>136120650
You have to appreciate a divide between the audience that pays for shit(e.g. horrifyingly overpriced DVDs/Blu-Rays, as well as absurd amounts of merchandise), and the population as a whole.

Fujiko Mine is a huge slut and one of anime's original femme fatales, and she's always ranked extremely highly(usually the top spot) in popularity polls, for both sexes, when discussing things like favorite female character of the decade or whatever.

Then again, Lupin isn't exactly a series that plays to the erotomania crowd.
>>
>>136120163
F/SN is a huge success, and the heroine of its final route was a rape victim.
>>
>>136120163
well if you are talking about financial success than purity doesn't really matter

you are putting too much importance on an unrelated factor (you always do this and that's why everyone calls you a retard).
>>
>>136120163
the audience is the reason for success or failure. for example, in Japan: a woman who has been in a sexual relationship is generally considered undesirable. Whereas in America, some may not give a shit.
>>
>>136121575
Did the rape occur during the show or before the show? Sejougahara got raped before the start of bakemonogatari and it was a financial success.
My two cents is that otakus percieve rape as an act outside of the heroines control and therefore she remains pure in mind if not in bodyas in the lack of a hymen.
I would however argue that F/SN did not recouperate their losses purely by dvd sales, if going by the sources posted in OP.

>>136121473
Was Lupin a financial success however? 23(episodes)*140k(projected cost of episode in USD)=3220k USD vs 35,304(units sold) * 50(USD per unit)=1765k
However most anime seem to have this ratio of income vs outcome, the question is if Crunchyrolls idea of 140k USD per episode is incorrect.
>>
File: 1348804811646.png (294KB, 850x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1348804811646.png
294KB, 850x1018px
better question is

Is it necessary for the heroes to be "pure" in order to be a financially successful anime?
>>
File: chris gear.png (1MB, 972x1399px) Image search: [Google]
chris gear.png
1MB, 972x1399px
>>136121962
Depends a lot on the show's audience and the characters in question. Not even just talking about romance anime either. Purityfags might be obsessive and buy a lot of merch for characters they like, but they're not THAT big of a group that they can't be overcome by a larger group of less obsessive fans.
>>
>>136120163
These days female characters get laid more than the male characters

>female targeted series with female main
>gets boyfriend
>fucks boyfriend
>happily ever after

>male targeted series with male main
>gets girlfriend
>gets several of them
>doesn't fuck anyone of them
>>
>>136120163
>Will the anime sell if the heroine is anything less than a holy maiden?
First of all, you can't have every girl on the show be a slut or something. That's not going to work ever. And second, at no point play up that a girl is used goods (damaged goods might be okay though)

Anyway, it is possible to clear this hurdle but you need to have the show be accessible to casuals AND otakus if you're going to do that. Like Gundam SEED was able to (barely) get away with Kira fucking Flay because it had a lot of stuff accessible to multiple audiences

What I'm trying to say is you can't have this imaginary anime you want only be watched by an otaku audience

> What is necessary for a long running franchise
Selling a SHITTON of merch
>>
>>136120650
Well actually I can kind of understand it a little.

I mean if you want to believe your main character has a chance with x main girl and said girl is literally sleeping around, I think it would be kind of disingenuous to the audience.
>>
>>136121962
>Is it necessary for the heroes to be "pure" in order to be a financially successful anime?
No. But don't flaunt it. Also, make it clear EARLY that the hero/ine isn't pure, don't toss that in as a twist later in the story (unless said story involves actual grown adults) and there has to be something else there for the audience like giant robots or aliens or some shit. Just a romantic comedy/drama and one of the angles is x character isn't pure is a huge turnoff to the elevens

>>136122090
CHRIS IS PURE!

PURE!

T-TH-THEY WERE JUST PHYSICALLY ABUSING HER!
>>
File: 1373613605511.gif (627KB, 373x360px) Image search: [Google]
1373613605511.gif
627KB, 373x360px
I'd say it has more to do with the male partner if anything, I think the female long as she looks good personality ignored is all you need.
>>
File: chris pasta.jpg (253KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
chris pasta.jpg
253KB, 800x1200px
>>136122440
Don't be a baka like Hibiki and ignore anything that upsets you.
Her past doesn't make her any less perfect, anyone who would hold that against her doesn't deserve to be considered a person.
>>
>>136122508
Yeah, I'm going to (gag) actually agree with Leluch here. If your MC is a total faggot, that's just not going to help at all
>>
>>136121349
>/a/ might be the best representation of the japanese otaku consumer on 4chan
I dont believe this.
>>
>>136122719
Well there are the Buyfag threads
>>
>>136122719
What else would you trust? /toy/? /jp/?
>>
>>136123469
probably /jp/ desu.
>>
>>136121349
>the japanese otaku consumer on 4chan
Silly faggot, /a/ doesn't pay for things.
>>
>>136121349
>best representation of the japanese otaku

You might be wrong here.
We resemble nip casual-midlevelfags slightly more.
The unhealthy level of obsession you're seeing here in /a/ is most likely memetic.
>>
>>136120163
>Is it necessary for the heroines to be "pure" in order to be a financially successful anime?
I don't know about financially successful, but it's certainly not a requirement for it to be good.
>>
File: coffee.jpg (17KB, 335x378px) Image search: [Google]
coffee.jpg
17KB, 335x378px
>>136120163
You forgot Kimi ga Nozomu Eien.
That shit caused major shitstorm not only in 4chan, but also other prominent anime forums more than a decade ago.
Heroines are far from being holy maiden, MC is a vegetable with anger issues and far from being a self-insert material.

Technically speaking it might not be financially successful compared to muv-luv, but that shit left a huge mark in the industry.
I don't think people will discuss Nisekoi or To-Love-Ru for years down the road aside from casual banter "my whore best girl", but kiminozo still split the fanbase until now.
I consider leaving a legacy to be more of a success than absorbing otaku money like a sponge. Once you left your mark, money would naturally flow.
>>
>>136125104
KimiNozo was a VN first though
>>
>>136125104
>I consider leaving a legacy to be more of a success than absorbing otaku money like a sponge.
You sound like a sir of fine taste. However I do not agree with your opinion. IMO financial success is necessary to keep a franchise alive and any author would want his creation to stay alive.
>>
>>136121918
Senjougahara wasn't raped. She was almost raped.
>>
>>136120163
So basically a Disney movie?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.