[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is Ponyo the only film that actually gets worse with repeated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

So is Ponyo the only film that actually gets worse with repeated viewings or are thdre others?
>>
>>136005766
I only watched it once so I'll never know.
>>
>>136005766
I only watched it once so I'll never know.
>>
Nice rec thread faggot
>>
>>136005979
I don't really see how asking about anime that aren't good is a recommendation.
>>
>>136005795
>>136005937
I've watched ut three times, and each time the kiddie romance becomes less tolerable, the plot skips more glaring, Ponyo gets louder and Lisa gets worse. It has its good points, but they start to become a chore to get to when there's so much, "PONYO LOVES SOSUKE!!!" to get through.
>>
>>136007613
Personally, I will never have watched the sea scene enough times. However, the plot needed serious adjustments, Miyazaki focused too much on the visuals, and while he nailed the oniric atmosphere the story barely holds together.
>>
>>136007613
>each time Ponyo gets louder
kek

As a native Japanese speaker what annoyed me was Sosuke calling his mom by her first name. That's just plain unheard of in Japan. I know it's a minor detail but it was jarring as fuck at the time.
>>
It's the least interesting Ghibli film to me and the only one I'll probably never watch again.
>>
>>136005766
One of Miyazaki's worst. It's a shame it's one of his most well known in North America, he's capable of much better.
>>
>>136008003
This is correct. It relies too much on 'it doesn't matter, it looks good' and not enough on coherent storytelling. While it does look good, it doesn't work on a narrative level. Basically he told the story of Ponyo's perspective, but left out the events surrounding her. It needed to be about 30 minutes longer with subplots to fill in the gaps. Thr sea-level rising, though this would be a consequence of bringing the Moon closer, it's not the only one. Seismic activity would drastically increase for a start.
>>
>>136008217
>It's a shame it's one of his most well known in North America
Really? Pretty sure it falls in the somewhat known but uncared for category. In terms of name recognition:

Spirited Away and Totoro > Mononoke > Howl > Kiki > Ponyo > Porco Rosso >>> Whisper
>>
>>136008305
Howl and Mononoke are tied.

Ponyo is above Kiki
>>
>>136005766
You don't need to watch it more than once to notice Ponyo is shit.
When I actually watched Totoro and rewatched Spirited Away the difference was so extreme I could not believe all these movies were made by the same person.
>>
>>136008124
I thought there was some funny story about Miyazaki's young son calling him by his first name that went along with that. Like, it's supposed to be odd.
>>
>>136008305
Ponyo was pretty big when it came out since it got a wide Disney release, but it was all but forgotten compared to legit classics like Howl, Totoro, and Spirited Away.
>>
>>136008305
Daily reminder Miyazaki didn't direct Whisper of the Heart.
>>
Miyazaki's last good movie. Compared to Howl's and Planeshit, Ponyo may as well be the fucking Parsifal.

It's also the only Miyazaki movie with interesting animation.
>>
>>136014088
The Wind Rises was great though
>>
>>136014239
He made that to piss off the otaku plane club, so that's expected.
>>
>>136014088
Yeah, I agree.
>>
File: CHECK_HAM.jpg (51KB, 600x322px) Image search: [Google]
CHECK_HAM.jpg
51KB, 600x322px
>>136005766
>>
>>136005766
I think it's cute. My opinion on it hasn't changed much since I first saw it, definitely a low 7/10.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.