[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did scanlators never settle on using .cbr/.cbz/etc.? For

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

File: fb303fca51490b49a470b04e93b5f0af.png (713KB, 970x1551px) Image search: [Google]
fb303fca51490b49a470b04e93b5f0af.png
713KB, 970x1551px
Why did scanlators never settle on using .cbr/.cbz/etc.?

For those who don't know, they're just file extensions for rar and zip files that explicitly classify a file as a manga/comic (or sequence of images).

The problem is that .rar, .zip, etc. weren't created specifically for sequential images. They were created as storage for any kind of file. This means there is ambiguity. A .zip file could be literally anything as far as your file manager knows, so it's impossible to utilize useful functions based on targeting specifically manga. With a file extension that specifically classifies a file package as a manga/comic, you can, for instance, search your file system for all manga, easily thumbnail your manga, and open all manga with a doubleclick.

Now it's not a terrible amount of hassle to rename all your manga, but there's less hassle and less room for error if it's done at the scanlator level. And there really is no reason for scanlators to NOT do it since there are no compatibility issues. A .cbz and .zip file are exactly the same as any program is concerned since they have the same "magic number."

This is something comic book scanners caught onto years ago, and considering manga/anime releasing tends to be a step ahead of its western counterparts, I don't see why manga scanlation has not progressed on this front.
>>
Probably because nobody cares.
>>
>>135991286
A-are you calling me a nobody?
>>
Windows 7tan a best
>>
>>135991183
Not this shit again.
>>
>>135991183
I want to fuck Nanami in front of Sora.
>>
>>135991372
Windows 8 twins were pretty good desu
>>
I remember seeing manga in cbr archive once. God, what a terrible experience it was. I felt filthy and violated.
>>
>>135991372
This.
>>
@daiz
>>
>>135991183
The only reason to double-click on a zip or rar file is to read manga. For anything else you'll be using the contextual right-click anyway.

There's only a few comic scanners, so it's very easy for them to be autistic. Compare that to the thousandss of scanlators, many of which don't even bother releasing their files.
>>
>>135991996
>For anything else you'll be using the contextual right-click anyway.
Not necessarily. I like the idea of doubleclicking to unpack them, which is obviously mutually exclusive with having it open up with your comic reader.
>>
>>135991183

Because there's no point they're exactly the same as a zip and any comic reader that can read a cbz can read a zip instead so why bother.
>>
>>135992205
You didn't read the post fully.
>>
>>135992101
People who download manga are reading at least tens of them a week. Compare that to how many times the average user needs to unpack a file a year.
>>
>>135992241

There's still really no point, as you stated, it's easy to change it yourself to a cbz, so just do that, there's no reason the scanlator needs to choose for you. I personally tend to unpack all the manga zip files I download so I can easily navigate through the individual images on my desktop in my file manager, only time I leave them zipped is if I'm sending them to a device like my tablet, where I use a comic reader to read them.
>>
This shit is why I can't take comics seriously. Oh, and because they're edgy pieces of trash.
>>
>>135992386
It's not about frequency. It's about there being an ambiguity that can be resolved very simply on the distributor's end.
>>
>>135992435
There is still a point. One, as I pointed out, it creates less hassle for those of us who do do it. Two, for those who are simply unaware, they're introduced to something that makes their lives easier, and at worst it doesn't impact them at all.
>>
>>135991183
>and considering manga/anime releasing tends to be a step ahead of its western counterparts

This is only really true for the anime side of things with fansubs. Scanlators don't really do anything similar, though they don't really need to either.
>>
>>135992559
>it creates less hassle for those of us who do do it

and it creates more hassle for the people that don't which will be the majority of people in this case.
>>
>>135991372
>Download Win10
>Think it would be pretty bad
>It's actually OK
I'm scared to say anything bad. She's always watching
>>
>>135992568
Also, scanlation as a scene is much more disorganized than widespread than the relatively tight-knit fansubbing community, and scanlation also has a really low barrier for entry, so as such, standardization is kind of a pipe dream.
>>
>>135992615
It does not create hassle because a .zip and a .cbz are exactly the same and whatever system you use to read manga will remain unaffected. Your comic book reader and your archive manager don't care because they don't use file extensions to determine files.
>>
>>135992559
>and at worst it doesn't impact them at all.
But that's wrong since you're forcing people to either download a new program (many of which can't if they're reading at work or something) or manually change every file they download.
>>
>>135992723
You misunderstand, dude. You're not having to download a new program. You can do exactly what you've always done, use whatever program you use. The files are EXACTLY the same.
>>
Windows photo viewer for life faggots.
>>
>>135992703
It doesn't need to be an overnight change. You have big distributors like exhentai that can lead the charge.
>>
Because you just need to right click and "open with" [preferred comic reader]. Honeyview is the common one right? so just right click, view with honeyview, that's it.
Compressing is the same, right click, compress as whatever.zip and that's it.
If it bothers you, you can have a script that changes zip and rar extensions into cbz or cbr.
Takes about the same amount of time.
I personally leave them as zip because I do revisions and roll them around before final release, once it's done I don't care about the extra step that's going to have people comment "how2open" on the site.
>>
How do people live with their manga collection all in archives, I can't stand not being able to see thumbnails of all the pages on stuff I have, archives are a nuisance to search though, especially if it's hentai and you're looking for a specific chapter / page. Do you people just throw all your archives into one directory and use the comic reader like a file manager or something?
>>
>>135991183

>why don't scanlators release their shit with an obscure filename that would cause thousands of "how do I open this shit" comments per day

Gee, I fucking wonder.
>>
>>135993595
Most people read and delete.
>>
What I would like to see is scanlators releasing their stuff in a format with a text layer so you could just search for a scene you like by dialogue you remember and not have to page through all the chapters like a fucking caveman.
>>
>>135993834
I would like my manga to be projected on the back of my eyelids. Opening eyes is such a hassle.
>>
>>135994200

This would be nice for reading in bed.

To be honest though, reading manga is a huge fucking hassle anyway. The lack of a single release platform is the biggest problem. So you can't use auto RSS downloads for new chapters and instead have to go to every scanlators different fucking site and download shit from fucking mega and everywhere else. I just wait until places release batches then catch up.
>>
>>135992568
Daiz you fucker, cleaning, typesetting do you speak it? Say that again motherfucker. I double fucking dare you.
>>
>>135992882
So if by your own admission, it's exactly the same except it's a different extension, why the hell should people bother with an extra step that doesn't add anything?
>>
>>135994712
What of those? Scanlators don't really do anything that legit outlets wouldn't also do in those areas. They don't do anything special technically either, it's just PNGs and JPGs in archives. A lot of the time they don't even do it optimally with those either, with stuff like saving B&W pages as JPGs or not quantizing & optimizing their PNGs etc (granted, legit outlets can fail at these all the same).
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.