[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Biggest cash grab ever made?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 18

File: rebellion.jpg (990KB, 1390x1985px) Image search: [Google]
rebellion.jpg
990KB, 1390x1985px
Biggest cash grab ever made?
>>
>>135957577
If life offered you a chance to make a lot of money with the same amount of effort required to make way less money, why wouldn't you do it? Serious question.
>>
>>135957577
rebellion is lowkey an essay on Nietzschean philosophy so yes.
>>
>>135957577

Kizumomogatari is coming out.

Also Eva rebuilds and fucking star wars prequels.
>>
>>135957651
Honestly? Because don't I feel like putting something completely hollow out just to make money.

>>135957729
Yeah Kizu might beat this
>>
>>135957577
>People still don't understand that Homura's wish was never realized in the series
>People still don't realize that Homura's scenes in the new world are her trying and ultimately failing to come to terms with Madoka saving her again instead of her saving Madoka
>People don't realize this was all so obvious that people called Devil Homu over a year in advance
>>
>>135957904
>People still don't realise that the series ending there was perfect
>>
>>135957577
Love Live was a bigger cashgrab because the story was by all means over. Madoka could still expand the story with Homura
>>
>>135958012
>People still think it was
If Rebellion never happened we'd be having threads about how out of character it was for Homura to just accept getting saved by Madoka again after going through so many loops obsessed with saving Madoka instead.
>>
>>135957577
That's not SW:TFA.
>>
>>135958085
No, she never had to accept it. That doesn't mean they had to deus ex machina some weird fetishist ending
>>
>>135958184
>He forgot about the collected karma
>He forgot that Madoka was the one to reset the last timeline for Homura's sake, not Homura for Madoka's sake as it had been before that
>He needed it spelled out for him that Homura inherited Madoka's karma

For fuck's sake, Homura inherited the rose bow along with it. This shit was practically spelled out. It's not even deep, you're just retarded.
>>
>>135958394
Ahh yes, all these things that the movie resolved, and definitely warrant invalidating any importance the original ending had.

Rebellion turns Homura from someone consumed by grief and desperation to someone consumed by greed.
>>
File: 1425743681172.png (213KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1425743681172.png
213KB, 400x400px
>>135957577
noice 77
>>
>>135958570
The original ending left a huge, gaping hole when you sat down and thought about it, that Homura would just accept that ending and not strive for a more perfect one. And unlike the ending for Rebellion, it wasn't clear that it would ever be addressed. On the other hand, Rebellion's ending made it a lot more clear that it wasn't the end, because unlike the original series it was clear that somebody didn't like the new status quo, and that it wasn't something that could be sustained indefinitely.

And that aside, if you think Homura did anything she did because of greed, you're horribly mistaken. Everything she ever did once she became a Magical Girl was for Madoka's sake over anyone else's. While that certainly isn't altruistic, it isn't greed either.
>>
>>135958977
She wanted madoka, she didn't do it for Madoka's sake, she changed the universe to sexually harass madoka in a hallway.
>>
>>135959087
If Homura just went to yuri Valhalla when Madoka came for her, the Incubators would have been given the evidence they needed to begin work on controlling the Law of Cycles AND would have had their only obstacle to that goal (besides time, which they have plenty of) removed.

Had Homura not put Madoka in a gilded cage, an even worse end would have been made inevitable in a few hundred years' time. Being able to sexually harass Madoka in a hallway was just a perk.
>>
>>135959277
That actually makes sense, aight I know when I'm beat
>>
>>135957577
>taiwanese image
>>
>>135957749
>Honestly? Because don't I feel like putting something completely hollow out just to make money.

I'd do it. If I was serious about making something substantial, I'd want to secure every source of revenue to fund it even if that means putting out a hollow money printer..
>>
>>135957749
>>135959894
Both of you are implying that not having a lot of money means not being able to create good anime, which is wrong.
>>
>>135957729
The Force Awakens was the biggest cash grab in my opinion.
The prequels were crap, but at least they tried brining in some new things, whereas TFA was just a soulless rehash that happened to make a fuckton of money due to tons of marketing.

As far as the Rebuild movies go, I think 1.11 and 2.22 were amazing, and worth the money. 3.33 was absolute garbage, but that's 1 out of 3.
>>
>>135959894
Remeber the last time shaft took a risk on something and it turned out good? I don't They've just been beating the monogatari horse to death

>>135960083
I didn't mean to imply that
>>
>>135960105
I don't get the hate against 3.33, if anything 3.33 is the movie that is doing something completely different to the original series.
>>
>>135960117
>adapting all the source material is beating a horse to death
So you're saying you'd prefer they'd pick and choose stuff to adapt and animate an incomplete picture of the original? Shit taste, anon. Shame on you.
>>
>>135960161
It's doing completely different, and the intention is great, but the execution not so much.
You're adding a 14 year timeskip, after the cliffhanger of the previous movie, and only explain bits and pieces about what went on during that time, and all Anno did was imply huge things happen.
They also added new elements for no good reason, like the Curse of Eva.
Everyone acting retarded certainly didn't help either.
>>
File: KingEngineIntensifies.jpg (177KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
KingEngineIntensifies.jpg
177KB, 450x600px
>>135957577
>GI M is highlighted in purple

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?!
>>
>>135960272
But that's the whole point of 3.33.
You are as confused as Shinji during the entire movie.
I really don't like the whole Curse of Eva thing but everything else is deliberately made confusing and alienating.
Ideally, 3.0 + 1.0 is gonna tie everything together.
>>
>>135958977
>Everything she ever did once she became a Magical Girl was for Madoka's sake over anyone else's.
I don't necessarily agree. Inside Homura's Witch World, in Rebellion, you could see Homura wished for the other girls to attain happiness as well. This is also reflected in the world she created.

The thing, prior to Madoka becoming Ultimate Madoka, Homura had to choose to give priority to Madoka after all of her failures in the previous timeliness, in which she tried to involve the other girls, who didn't trust her.

You cannot save everyone, if everyone doesn't cooperate. Thus, Homura had to choose to focus solely on Madoka.
>>
>>135957577
>>
>>135960214
I find it harder and harder to care for monogatari, while most of Owarimonogatari was great the Shinobu Mail arc was just terrible, and there are plenty of just bad arcs in the series.

People are now hyping Kizu but realistically we'd be lucky if it's on par with bake
>>
>>135960446
>I really don't like the whole Curse of Eva thing but everything else is deliberately made confusing and alienating.
That would be great for a TV series, but we're talking about movies here. There's hardly any time to explain everything that went on during the timeskip, especially in the last instalment.

I seriously doubt 3.0+1.0 will be able to wrap up everything 3.33 brought into the story, and do it in a satisfying way.

Everyone acting like a bloody retard isn't justified by anything, and this is one of the biggest issues in 3.33, because nearly all of the problems in that movie could have been avoided by people not acting like idiots toward Shinji, and explaining things well - especially to a person who has no bloody idea what went on in the past 14 years.
>>
>>135960446
>But that's the whole point of 3.33.
That doesn't make it good.

Besides, after two movies followed very closely to the original series on the surface with just enough very noticeable changes on the surface to realize something's up, the third movie going this off the rails without actually addressing anything makes the whole narrative extremely incoherent.

But like you said, hopefully 3.0+1.0 will tie everything together, but personally I'm not holding my breath. In fact, I had completely forgotten that it was supposed to be out already.
>>
File: sayaka shrug2.jpg (17KB, 119x141px) Image search: [Google]
sayaka shrug2.jpg
17KB, 119x141px
Something is only a "cash grab" if you don't like it, apparently.
Personally I thought Rebellion was amazing, cash grab or not.
>>
>>135960083
No, but putting more money into a good anime certainly won't be making it any worse.
>>
>>135960446
There will be no 3+1 movie. They released it already, it was the Animator Expo. Sasuga, Anno-san.
>>
>>135960696
>That would be great for a TV series, but we're talking about movies here. There's hardly any time to explain everything that went on during the timeskip, especially in the last instalment.

Well, actually I think there will be a lot of time to explain everything as we are practically already in the "final arc" of the movie series in 3.33. I mean look at all the shit that is happening in that movie, that's some stuff that would be shortly before the conclusion in any other anime.
I bet that 3.0+1.0 will have some kind of "infodump"-arc, maybe during this series' "version of human instrumentality"
>>
>>135957577
No, but its Princess Tutu sequel is.
>>
Well I would imagine 99% of the anime you watch was made with solely profit in mind.
>>
>>135961122
>I bet that 3.0+1.0 will have some kind of "infodump"-arc, maybe during this series' "version of human instrumentality"
Considering that all the Rebuild movies have been around 90 minutes long.
There is no time to make such big explanations.
The movie has to focus in its own plot, and ending the story.
>>
File: sallaka_headtilt.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
sallaka_headtilt.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>mfw the incubator's shenanigans in Rebellion is all Homura's fault
>>
>>135961377
Wasn't 2.22 a little over two hours long?
>>
>>135961377
Considering that it's the final movie of the series, I think that this movie is gonna be longer than 90 minutes.
As I said, the story seems to be nearly finished in 3.33, so now all the movie has to do is go over what's left of the story and explain what happened during the time skip while wrapping everything up.
It's hard to pull off but definitely doable.
I know everyone is saying that Anno is a hack but I think he has enough experience to know what he is doing. Evangelion is his biggest work, I don't think that he wants to screw everything up.
That's why 3.0+1.0 is taking so long, I bet the studio is already all over Anno's ass for taking his time with the movie but he just keeps doing his thing and that's good
>>
File: madkaHomura what the fuck.jpg (270KB, 739x734px) Image search: [Google]
madkaHomura what the fuck.jpg
270KB, 739x734px
>>135957577

And in the end of this movie you learn, if you didnt already have this correct evaluation, that Homura is a fucking terrible person that is perpetually a shit.
>>
>>135957577
this is not idolshit
>>
>>135957577
I don't know, Kizu really did not need to be 3 hour long movies.
>>
>>135961947
>Accuses a film of character assassination
>Grossly misinterprets (in which case you're stupid) or misrepresents (in which case you're a hypocrite for assassinating a character yourself) the characters in the film

>Accuses a film of having a nonsensical plot with no logic, and plot holes
>Pushes an interpretation of the film AND the series that robs the ending of the series and the entire film of any semblance of logic in the plot, creating plot holes

>Accuses the film of having pretentious words and scenery with no meaning
>Acts like his opinion on the matter is so sublime that it should be the only one allowed to be discussed

This is what Homura haters actually believe.
>>
Why you hate Homura?
Homura did her best.
The evil is Kyubey,isn't it?
>>
>>135960161
>I don't get the hate against 3.33, if anything 3.33 is the movie that is doing something completely different to the original series.

I'm going to be blunt, but it's either because you're just that stupid, or faking ignorance. You know very well why 3.33 is such a garbage movie, pretending otherwise is pure dishonesty or stupidity.

1.11 and 2.22 are the only worthwhile Rebuilds.
>>
>>135961660
You're full of shit. I wish I could meet you real life, restrain you in front of a screen, forcefeed you interviews, facts until you finally accept how much of a fanwanking anno-apologist you are.

You're like the idiots screaming "too big to fail".
>>
>>135962485
>rebuilds
>worthwhile

dis nigga

3.33 is total garbage, yes, but just because it's worse than the others doesn't mean the others are worth anyone's time either

purge rebuild fans from this planet
>>
>>135962485
So tell me why it's objectively a garbage movie when it's so obvious
>>
>>135962575
>implying fan
Still two worthwhile movies anyone can enjoy.
>>
>>135962567
>Anno-apologist
Stop spouting other people's opinions and tell me why exactly 3.33 is garbage
>>
>>135960161

The first two films have the 'why did you even bother?' effect of them being way too much like the original series, while also alienating some of the elements that made the original so good.

3.0 had the 'why did you even bother?' effect of 'If you were going to change things this drastically why didn't you just make a new and original idea instead?'

The first two were way too familiar and the last was far too different. Also we had to suffer Mari sue queen of smug.
>>
>>135962660
>anno-apologist thinking his opinion matters
>>
File: 1452230967276.jpg (132KB, 612x794px) Image search: [Google]
1452230967276.jpg
132KB, 612x794px
>>135957577
It's almost as though you haven't seen much anime to begin with. Or much Western media. Or hell, much of anything if you think THIS is the biggest cashgrab ever. Twelve episodes with a movie isn't a fucking cashgrab. Shit like Dragonball Z with its never-ending adaptations is.

But hey, you watched it and disliked it, I guess that makes it the worst thing ever, you fucking goldfish.
>>
File: 9eb039c84dc7a2d469d22eef180327f1.jpg (259KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9eb039c84dc7a2d469d22eef180327f1.jpg
259KB, 1920x1200px
>>135958977
>While that certainly isn't altruistic
Isn't it like super altruism, at least for Madoka? Fate can't be changed, Madoka can't be saved. Yet Homura refused to give up anyway.

>>135961820
Completely wrong. Homura is justice, she is the only one in history dedicated enough to overcome fate and power a goddess savior. She's literally god's angel type of person, or at least has those traits. Homura is the source of hope and heroism in the original ending, she's fighting on behalf of the goddess.
>>
>>135962575
1.11 or 2.22 aren't end-all-be-all masterpieces. They're relatively light, mysterious yet genuine movies that will be able to keep the audience entertained whilst also slowly laying down the foundation for further movie.

For those reasons, they are worthwhile movies. It's not a great achievement. But it's still worthwhile.

>>135962585
Where does one even begin? The story? The characters? The plot? The setting? There are flaws in all of them, flaws so large only one of them would be enough to sink the movie. Imagine all four!

In-between the selfcontradicting characterization and actions portrayed by the characters, you're fed mostly one-liners and treated to a buffet of inane pandering, that is to say material that only has value to a small group chasing a specific niche.

It is neither new, original, or good in itself.
>>
>>135961654
Under.
>>
>>135962660
Because it makes no goddamn sense, and not even in the context of old Eva and EoE, where it was simply extremely convoluted and difficult to understand. Instead, the entire plot of the movie hinges on damn near every character acting like an idiot and either withholding critical information or acting despite lacking critical information because the plot demands it.
>>
>>135961820
what the hell is the context behind this image
>>
>>135961589
Homura kickstarting the plot by being a dumb bitch is the norm now, wonder what she'll do in the sequel to fuck up.
>>
>>135958184
>they had to deus ex machina some weird fetishist ending
People who weren't paying attention to the show said the exact same thing with Madoka's wish despite the fact that it was foreshadowed as fuck. It's the same in the movie, the main plan of the QB was to see what happen when you almost turn a mahou shojo into a witch in a universe where witches cannot exist and that if they can interact with the law of cycles they will be able to control it in the long run, Homura exploited those two things by interacting with Madoka by preventing her from cleaning her gem turning her into something completely new for this universe.

>>135958394
>Homura inherited the rose bow along with it.
>inherited
The very first thing she did to QB in the show was chasing and shooting him with the bow before he called Madoka for help.

>>135958570
>Rebellion turns Homura from someone consumed by grief and desperation to someone consumed by greed.
Both Madoka and Homura are inhabited by a retarded martyr complex that prevent one from letting the other carry all the weight of the world on their shoulders and makes them want to carry said weight alone, making the other suffer because of it. They are the exact same in that regard.
>>
>>135962856
>>135962635
sorry, they're fine for people who don't actually like eva and new fans, you're right

but they're really fucking hard for old fans to swallow
>>
>>135962660
It's my own opinion, thank you very much, Mr. Anno Apologist.

3.33 is garbage in all aspects but delivering concentrated homo pandering to a mindless mass of idiots, and ecchi girl fanservice to a subselection of Eva's large otaku fan base.

You keep defending this movie, but it's an extremely simple objective thing to point out, that should absolutely and without question end any of your arguments.

Creating a good story and character set takes time, and 3.33 in all respects chose to squander all the prequels had built in favor of characters that are more shallow than any of the characters in a single isolated movie.

To put it shortly, it made it impossible to create quality characters in Rebuild.

You can evangelize Evangelion all day every day, speak highly of a coming miracle that will undo the damage 3.33 has caused, but you know just as well as I that it is literally impossible, and even if we got five more movies to make up for the gaping hole of characterization and plot 3.33 was, 3.33 would still be a huge leap backwards in quality.
>>
>>135962856
Then 3.33 hits you and shits all over the foundations the first two had built up.
sasuga anno.
>>
>>135962929
>The very first thing she did to QB in the show was chasing and shooting him with the bow before he called Madoka for help.

Whatever she shot QB with, it wasn't the bow, because she didn't HAVE a bow in that timeline. If she had a magic bow she wouldn't have needed to fight with a damn golf club in her first looped timeline.
>>
>>135962929
Not that guy, but Homura's bow didn't manifest until after Madoka's final wish. Those energy bolts are just weird shit that was never explained. Reason I say this is because Homura was explicitly shown to have zero offensive abilities on her own apart from the time stop. Between that time and the final timeline, she hadn't gained any new powers, thus using man-made weaponry.
>>
>>135962970
New fans and old fans alike. The only ones who didn't like the first two are purist fans and worst of all, shippers.
>>
>>135962929
>Both Madoka and Homura are inhabited by a retarded martyr complex
I would say Madoka has a martyr complex, whereas Homura has a saviour complex.
>>
Any of the Yu-Gi-Ohs, DB Super, any of the Pokemons, Bleach, Naruto, basically any normal-tier stuff
>>
>>135963024
Not only that, 3.33's characters are utterly irredeemable in terms of depth and sincerity, they're glorified plot devices and otaku totems reflecting Anno and his closest writer's most masturbatory eva fantasies.
>>
>>135963049
She also is about to use her Homulaser on Sayaka in episode 8 before Kyouko comes to the rescue.
I assume it's just simple blast ability that isn't as useful as her guns and bombs, so she usually doesn't bother with it.
>>
>>135963336
Hawt
>>
>>135963356
Probably, yes. It's obviously a lot less useful than just putting weaponry inside her shield.
>>
File: image.jpg (136KB, 756x1181px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136KB, 756x1181px
>>
File: image.jpg (672KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
672KB, 800x800px
>>
>>135963336
>Homuhaters still this delusional
>>
>>135963606
I've already explained in this very thread why you're wrong.
>>
>>135963733
>Madoka hates her for being so evil.
Madoka is practically incapable of hate, and the ending of the original series and the entire plot of Rebellion fall apart if Madoka doesn't at least consider Homura a precious friend.
>>
File: 1450854147824.gif (443KB, 506x516px) Image search: [Google]
1450854147824.gif
443KB, 506x516px
I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.
>>
>>135957577

They should make more. I will give them more of my cash
>>
>>135957577
Did they intentionally make it as much like eoe as possible without being a blatant copy
>>
>>135960161
Only butthurt Reifags hate 3.0 (the only good Rebuild)
>>
File: 1450217978386.png (62KB, 348x224px) Image search: [Google]
1450217978386.png
62KB, 348x224px
>>135964607
I think you're overlooking the fact that the movie itself was quite well done. Aside from the ending twist- which was obviously a last minute decision- the quality of the movie itself almost matched the later episodes of the anime.
>>
File: image.jpg (179KB, 709x1002px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
179KB, 709x1002px
>>
>>135964856
>Turned Asuka into even more of a bitch than in the original for no real reason
>Turned Misato into an idiot with no foresight
>Mari still got no real character development
>Kaworu gets killed off

Literally all the waifufags got screwed over.
>>
File: shinjibutt.jpg (26KB, 599x404px) Image search: [Google]
shinjibutt.jpg
26KB, 599x404px
>>135965008
Not Shinjifags
>>
>>135965070
His most heroic moment, the ending of 2.22, was rendered moot.
>>
>>135965131
>moot
Who?
>>
>>135965150
hue
>>
>>135965131
That's a good thing.
I like my Shinji crying and defenseless, with a wide nice view of his plump ass.
3.0 delivered.
>>
File: image.png (350KB, 720x725px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
350KB, 720x725px
>>
>>135965346
Madoka looks terrified in this.
>>
>>135965346
Hawt
>>
>>135966366
Looks more dead or mindless than terrified.
>>
i thought it was cool
>>
>>135961820
I remember this image from the very first time I went on /a/, time sure flies.
>>
Homuhater got his posts deleted after calling for people who disagreed with him to be banned on principle.

Hilarious.
>>
File: 9876767.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
9876767.png
2MB, 1280x720px
>>135957577
I think it's weird that you're talking about the third movie and not the first two. Cashgrabs are honestly when they repackage anime seasons into movies with minimal new content.

This however was the characters in a whole new movie, with new graphics, and a new script, so no.

Also I thought the graphics were stunning in this movie even though I hate the namesake. Should've won that Oscar to make you madder.
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.