[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a man who grew up speaking Japanese and has never needed subs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: 1450584077065.jpg (612KB, 1000x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1450584077065.jpg
612KB, 1000x1414px
As a man who grew up speaking Japanese and has never needed subs or scan groups to watch/read anime and manga, I'm curious about your experience, /a/. What assurance do you have that you're enjoying the medium as it was meant to be?

Fan translations get shit wrong all the time. They misinterpret stuff or use wording that doesn't convey the original meaning very well. Characters often sound like a completely different character or personality because Western publishers try to make them more "appealing" or "relatable" to the home audience. Cultural things like New Years, the number 4, folklore, local traditions, and so forth often go unexplained. Regional dialects and way of speech (as in formal upbringing vs lowly and uneducated) aren't reflected all that well, I find.

Do these things worry you? What if you're not understanding things correctly? I see shitstorms start all the time over mistranslation or false information that blew up from wrong interpretation. I see people call girls a bitch cunt and so forth for using hard words when in fact she didn't sound so harsh in the original Japanese. How do you deal with all this?
>>
i dont use reddit, MAL or read ann forums and social media
>>
By not being an autistic little shit. Anime and manga are not complex mediums, if you have troubles understanding something because of a simple mistranslation then you simply don't have a brain.
>>
There really isn't much to be done about it and I'm too stupid/lazy to learn Japanese so I just accept the fact that stuff is not 1000% faithful and enjoy it anyway taking corrections as they come
>>
>>135643585
>They misinterpret stuff or use wording that doesn't convey the original meaning very well
For the most part, the general public doesn't care
>>
>>135643748
>if you have troubles understanding something because of a simple mistranslation then you simply don't have a brain
I wish more anons were like you
>>
>>135643748
What I find even more amusing is when some autistic translator comes around correcting it, and the correction is what you would have obviously inferred, or it's some retardedly small mistake because MUH SUBTLETY.
>>
The only way to "enjoy the medium as it was meant to be" is to learn Japanese and watch the show raw. Even then, there's stuff a Westerner might not get due to cultural differences, since they did not grow up in Japan. In the end, we have to accept that we enjoy an anime differently, and for different reasons, than people in Japan do. Then we don't really mind mistranslations and other bullshit.
>>
>>135646930
That's why they're a source of subculture on their own, mistranslations and all. Spinzaku, Death Note swimming or JUST AS PLANNED, it's all part of the experiences we have watching anime.
>>
>>135643585
I don't care really, of course I like the have the best translation possible but I'm not going to devote that much time to it. I am slowly learning Japanese but it's just something I do for fun when I feel like it so I won't get very far.
>>
>>135643585
I can't speak japanese and am the standard depressed internet fuck up so I won't learn it. Now fuck off.
>>
File: 1441988657989.jpg (86KB, 684x684px) Image search: [Google]
1441988657989.jpg
86KB, 684x684px
>>135643585
>As a man who grew up speaking Japanese and has never needed subs or scan groups
嘘くさい
>>
File: 1417155963914.gif (218KB, 498x372px) Image search: [Google]
1417155963914.gif
218KB, 498x372px
>>135643585
It's all I got. You can't expect me to watch dubbed.
>>
I often have troule with fan translations, especially if its an obscure manga series. You just have to try and reinterpret awkward phrasing.

If it doesn't make sense the first time I read it, I can just kinda go based on the intention. Like, even if I dont understand a particular reference, I can still understand that the person speaking is making a joke, or being supportive or whatever.

If something doesnt make sense, I kind of rewrite what they said in my mind, to something that fits the overall context of the scene.
>>
>>135643585
>What assurance do you have that you're enjoying the medium as it was meant to be?
The assurance that taking japanese cartoons this seriously is fucking stupid

"muh english anime experience"
>>
File: proto.png (54KB, 158x177px) Image search: [Google]
proto.png
54KB, 158x177px
Which one is more important to you anons:
A translation that's completely faithful to the intention of the original writers or a translation that makes the show enjoyable and understandable to english-speakers?

Because the two tend to be at odds when you're a fan translator.
>>
>>135643585
This is why I'm learning Japanese OP. Also you sound like a condecending faggot so fuck off to reddit.
>>
>>135648134
>A translation that's completely faithful to the intention of the original writers or a translation that makes the show enjoyable and understandable to english-speakers?
The one that's enjoyable and understandable (read: doesn't read like shit and reads naturally) tends to be faithful
>>
>>135648134
That's why it's always a tradeoff and why someone will always be angry.
>>
>>135643585
>Fan translations get shit wrong all the time. They misinterpret stuff or use wording that doesn't convey the original meaning very well.
I like how you conveniently forget all the times fan TLs are good, and even better than what a professional does.

>Characters often sound like a completely different character or personality because Western publishers try to make them more "appealing" or "relatable" to the home audience.
When has that ever happened?

>Cultural things like New Years, the number 4, folklore, local traditions, and so forth often go unexplained.
Unless the characters in whatever medium explain it, there's no reason for the translator to explain it.

>Regional dialects and way of speech (as in formal upbringing vs lowly and uneducated) aren't reflected all that well, I find.
True, but it's not like it never happens. Hell, people seem to get mad when it does.

>I see people call girls a bitch cunt and so forth for using hard words when in fact she didn't sound so harsh in the original Japanese.
Where?
>>
>>135643585
Well, as a man who grew up speaking French, I know translations of french media, even official, get shit wrong all the time. Yet, I know most of the time non-french speaker aren't missing much. Save for great literature of course, as for example classical french poetry often uses alexandrines which are too awkward for English.
>>
信じない
>>
>>135648251
I suppose the stiff, awkward dialogue you sometimes read tends to go hand in hand with an amateur translator who can only translate things literally.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.