[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reasons why S2s don't get made. https://oneofepisodes.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 676
Thread images: 54

File: asf.png (34KB, 647x570px) Image search: [Google]
asf.png
34KB, 647x570px
Reasons why S2s don't get made.

https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com/2015/09/29/translation-why-your-favorite-anime-doesnt-have-a-second-season/

How do you feel about the reasons described in this article?
>>
Just stop making anime altogether, why would japs pay 100$ for two episodes of mediocre animation when you can buy the whole manga series with better art and then get a steak dinner for the same money?
>>
>But the LN/Manga sold well

EVERY FUCKING TIME

THIS WAS WHY MANGLOBE WAS BANKRUPT WITH TWGOK FLOPPING EVERYTIME
>>
>>135620669
make better anime original stuff then
>>
Anime are just too fucking expensive. I buy manga as well but never anime. Maybe if it's a movie.
>>
>S2 didn't get made because S1 didn't sell

Oh shit, it all makes sense now, how could I have been so blind?
>>
>>135620773
Making original anime is even riskier. For one thing, since there's no pre-existing material to boost, a series needs to rely more on actual sales, merchandise, and manga/LN/game/etc. adaptations (if any) than anime adaptations.
>>
>>135620669
Why don't they get a percentage Based on the increase of the manga selling
>>
Everyone with any significant level of comprehension about the industry already knows this
>>
>>135620730
This.
You can buy complete western series for 50 or 80 dollars and they sell well. Anime BDs don't, because barely anyone is willing to spend 20 dollars for 3 - 4 episodes and it's way more expensive in Japan.
>>
File: 1439962208306.png (246KB, 354x367px) Image search: [Google]
1439962208306.png
246KB, 354x367px
>>135620669
>bluray cost 700$
>fucking CGI,moe shit and quality everywhere
>why can't we sell bluray
>>
>>135620779
>>Oh shit, it all makes sense now, how could I have been so blind?

Yeah, but the point is this >>135620765
People like to say that S2 will get made cause the source material got boost. Now we can see it doesn't work like that.
>>
File: 1434417406781.png (560KB, 1439x329px) Image search: [Google]
1434417406781.png
560KB, 1439x329px
>>135620669
Everyone already knew this.
>>
>>135620847
This makes sense.
>>
>>135620899
Not the weebs who are DISSAPOINTED~ and want S2.
>>
>>135620669
Don't they get money from having the anime air on tv?
>>
Don't they get the budget from the book publishers? Why would they only spend their own money when it's well known that most anime are only boosting the manga sales and nothing more? The manga publishers are the ones benefiting from the anime.
>>
>>135620669
Theres nothing here but bias claptrap
>hurr buy bd's make my career look good
>>
File: 1437517603012.png (305KB, 436x552px) Image search: [Google]
1437517603012.png
305KB, 436x552px
>>135620669
>while the manga that didn't pay a single yen does

Publishers at the one who invest the most money on making the anime. They are literally paying your salary so shut the fuck up retard.
>>
>>135620864
You think they haven't tried lowering the price before? Most anime appeals to a niche market, lower prices won't attract much more buyers.
>>
>>135620879
It's stupid anyway since a s2 won't boost it that much as s1 did anyway. The first season informs casuals or the bigger audience that a manga story exists, which is what boosts the sales - they already know that after s1 which is why there is no guarantee that s2 will cause a big boost anymore.
>>
>>135621011
the problem don't lie in the price only, more like the price combined with all the other shit.
>>
With western television, stuff like BDs and home releases are almost an afterthought. It's all about network ratings. While it has its faults, that seems to be a much healthier alternative than what Japan's been smoking for years.
>>
>>135620669
Let me translate what she said :
>BAWWWW WAHHHH nobody wants second seasons of the shit I produce.
There, that's much more accurate. Of course low-selling anime can get a second season if the manga/LN sales are good, Chihayafuru is just one example.
>>
>>135620944
Only if quotes matter, which isn't the case for late night anime = 95% of all anime.
>>
>>135620944
How fucking new are you? They pay to air. Anime is just ~20 minutes of expensive advertisement.
>>
>>135621011
Pretty much this. Though this hasn't stopped NHK from airing otaku-oriented anime at relatively mainstream timeslots.
>>
File: 1449471420004.png (518KB, 500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449471420004.png
518KB, 500x720px
>>135620669
Maybe it's just that the blu-rays are so fucking expensive that people would rather go and buy the manga/LN instead.
>>
With this in mind, do you think services like Netflix producing their own shows is a good idea?
>>
>>135621011
If 20,30 shows are made each season for a niche market then they shouldn't complain that there's not enough customers for all of them.
>>
But most anime is very obviously made to sell the original work. Why else they always leave the series open ended if not to make people buy the LN/manga to see what happens?
>>
>>135621011
Maxbe they shouldn't only appeal to that niche then. I think anime is way too focused on certain audiences.
Just count all the harems or synopses that contain "* was a normal high school boy until he met a mysterious girl that..".
>>
>>135621053
Yeah, Game Of Thrones comes to mind. Everyone profited off that. Anime should just do what they did with Game Of Thrones.
>>
>希望の星だった配信も、収入の柱とまではいかない…
>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope to the industry, isn’t strong enough to be a revenue generator…

CR BTFO.
>>
>>135621011
It's not surprising when the companies target the smallest niche and actively create image that anime is for the worst kind of HS dropouts.
>>
>>135621114
This, 2 episodes volume costs usually 10 times of typical tankobon and there is six of them for usual 12 eps series.
>>
>>135620669
>Paid to make advert
>Product you advertise sells
>Waa, no one is buying our advert!
It's because the expected return for the publisher is lower on sequels.
>>
>>135620669
Well, there is a lot of shows that sold a lot of BDs and didn't get a S2.
>>
Why bother selling on blue ray? That sounds like an intense over expenditure. Regular DVDs are enough.
>>
>>135621163
>>135621212
Normal adults don't like anime and won't ever like anime or consider paying $60 for a bluray with 2 episodes on it.
>>
>>135620847
They do, in the sense that the production committee almost always includes the publisher of the manga. So the thing gets funded in the first place with the help of the manga publisher, so to a certain extent this is whining about their lack of leverage in negotiating the production deal. They could either negotiate for a percentage of manga sales or get the publisher to assume more of the production risk, but these guys are all desperate. There are too many of these animation companies, they should consolidate and improve their ability to negotiate.
>>
>>135621011
idk man, I feel cheated if I bought a blu-ray only to get 2-3episodes for about 70 bucks. Even in the west people aren't always 100% okay with buying a whole season of anything for like 40 bucks.
>>
At least Oreimo got two seasons.
>>
>make shit
>no sales
>cry about it
The never ending cycle.
>>
>>135621285
>negotiate for a percentage of manga sales

Sounds like a good solution.
>>
>>135621281
>Hey man we only have a small market for our products! Should we
>A. Actually attempt to increase our market by targeting new demographics
>B. Competing with other companies with high quality products to win in our niche
>C. Complain to the niche market that they're not investing enough money in us (threats are fine too)
>>
>>135620669
They get paid to make the anime. The advertisement works. Done. If they want to produce S2 when they feel like it they should do something original.
>>
What's with the blogspam on /a/ recently? Why is this allowed?
>>
File: 1760.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1760.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
That's fair, I think they should come up with some alternatives.

I'm sure BD prices are sky high and some people just won't pay that also with piracy being high as ever they should try something else.
>>
>>135621378
It's common on /v/.
>>
>>135621298
Niche hobies require more money from the buyer. If you don't like it you can always go watch the latest Hollywood flick for the masses for half a buck
>>
So when they drive up the prices of their BD releases in a desperate attempt to make a profit, nobody buys them because of the price.
>>
>>135621378
fuck off, this actually stimulated some discussion in here, which is better than the usual run of 'this guy slaps your waifu's ass' posts that dominate /a/ these days
>>
OPMfags tear is fucking delicious
>>
>>135621281
Yeah that's why I was talking about the niche shit. Anime are that expensive because they only appeal to otaku instead of a broader audience and there isn't much stuff those otaku can buy. They get like 40 series which target them each season and they can't buy more than maybe two of those so there have to be 30 series at least that sell like shit every season.

The problem is that this is a whole industry that only centers around the fat asses of a few 10k people.
>>
that's a lot of complaining, and i understand but if that's all true then why is there so much anime? literally every season we're showered with shows that get a season 1 and then never get a season 2. and its always the same studios, always the same people, if their previous show didn't sell shit, why do they think a new one will? and why do they keep adapting shitty LNs that will obviously never sell, i mean we've been on this shit for years now, every season there's some LN adaptation that doesn't sell squat, yet they keep being pumped out.
>>
>>135621281
That's what I said. No adult will keep watching same LN adaptation every season and don't have a time or isn't in a mood to go through all the shit to find a worthwhile series. Especially when he can go and pick random popular seinen manga to get as much entertainment from it.

And the companies are at fault, because they turned market into bunch of drooling retards who only care about visually appealing girls, especially when it concerns idolshit anime.
>>
A lot of anime studios appears to be run by nerds who can't let go of the whole doujin aspect, thinking "they're doing it for the fans". As much as they hate KyoAni atleast they realized the importance of marketing, brand development and took it seriously.
>>
>>135621400
That time I checked, I wasn't getting buttfucked by prices on my niche indie films.
>>
>produce shit that is not worth buying
>blame everyone but yourself
>>
BUY THE BD KIDS
>>
>>135621430
There are no tears here I think you are in a wrong thread.
>>
>>135621443
>And the companies are at fault
OPMfags everyone
>>
>>135621378
There is absolutely nothing to discuss at the moment since there aren't any relevant airing anime.
>>
>>135621343
>publishers would agree to this

Pipe dream.
>>
>>135621384
Thing is the otaku market is for the most part inelastic. While most people stay away from the BDs, there will always be that segment which is willing to pay for such things at such prices, and this segment is what they cater too. I think I read somewhere that they either tried or discussed about lowering prices, and it turned out that in the long run lowering their prices in that market would have a relatively minimal impact on sales, at the cost of decreased profits. At the end of the day, the anime industry is still a business, and the first priority of a business is to make money. Surely there could be other revenue streams but while they could work with other media (such as kids anime and pretty much any other Japanese TV show) it might not be the case for late night anime.
>>
put up nihon taxes, use funds to make animu. end of problem.
>>
>make niche anime
>get surprised that it doesn't sell

Reminder that anime films and series targeted are broader audience always sell good, ALWAYS. Even if they are terrible and look like shit. Example: every anime movie projected at theatre ever and pretty much all of TOEI's portfolio.

Therefore solution to the problem of low selling volume --> make better anime. WOAH
>>
>>135621482
0/10
>>
>>135621378
I blame tripfags like Mami Kawada Lover encouraging this behavior.
>>
>>135621503
What about upcoming anime?

Although I tried it and was told looking forward to anime to too Reddit, so there's that.
>>
>>135621481
Sales thread, check the archives
>muh manga boost
>madhouse doen't care if it's not selling well

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>135621171
>>135621053
Difference is that anime is too niche for that, regular working adults in Japan won't watch anime, even if it were on some big name premium channel.

The industries problem is that it's too large for it's own good, after the boom in the 2000's a lot more anime started being made with out a corresponding increase in number of people willing to buy the product.

What needs to happens now is for the industry to slow down and start pushing less product until they can figure out how to generate more paying customers or some effective alternative revenue sources.
>>
>>135621378
Blame waifufags.
Anyway, this thread is actually kind of nice topic. Certainly more on-topic than usual "how does your waifu smell".
>>
>>135621538
It's an option but there is not so much to discuss about things that haven't even started yet. Not to mention that they don't have fans yet since nobody knows how the series will be.
>>
Shit anime like SAO will probably get like 5 more seasons in the future while some good anime don't even get a second season, fuck.
>>
>>135621114
For the customers:
1.) BDs are too expensive
2.) There’s too many anime being made
3.) But the audience don’t even consider buying

On the business side:
3.) There’s no substitute for BDs as a source of revenue
4.) There’s no place for anime that take time to make in an era where fads come and go
>>
>>135621597
But I tried it about Shoujotachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu. I played the VN trial, so I know it's good. And it's written by Romeo.

But noone wants to believe me.
>>
>>135621533
I don't even blog or visit blog threads.
I think Narutofags or DBZfags are more to blame.
>>
>>135621580
they could always actively try and make more money out of the international audiences. It somehow has less stigma in a lot of western countries than it does within Japan
>>
>>135621135
>their own shows
Love this meme.
>>
>>135621629
Except this one?
>>
>>135620826
You confused anime original (existing IP with completely new storyline or elements for the anime adaption) with original anime (completely new IP).
>>
>>135621678
He's a little slow in the head. Forgive him.
>>
>>135621183
Underrated post.
>>
>>135621659
Again, if anime stuios actually knew how to do business instead of being a bunch of art school nerds they'd have gotten far more revenue from the international market. Now they're selling rights to charlatans like crunchyroll for what I assume are peanuts.
>>
>>135621659
I seriously doubt Japs are mentally capable of that.
>>
>>135621659
>Even streaming, which was supposed to be a ray of hope to the industry, isn’t strong enough to be a revenue generator…
They've tried and failed. Maybe what they need to do is to relax their piracy laws, which are pretty draconian.

>>135621678
I was referring to original anime. I think you may have misread my post.

>>135621664
This is more anime related that those "just finished [name of anime] and I thought it was..." sadly.
>>
>>135621520
>Reminder that anime films and series targeted are broader audience always sell good, ALWAYS
That's completely false though, anime targeted at broader audiences ( which includes a lot more anime than you think ) flops just as often as late night otaku shit, and anime movies are terribly expensive to make, and hard to make a return on unless you have Hayao Miyazaki's name plastered on it.
>>
File: Everything will be fire2.jpg (87KB, 698x840px) Image search: [Google]
Everything will be fire2.jpg
87KB, 698x840px
If no normal people are watching the anime since they don't have time or etc, then why are they buying the manga and why it is increasing in sales, but the Blu-rays aren't?

The answer is simple. You get more content at a much cheaper price and you can basically read manga where ever you want without disrupting people around you. This is why Blu-rays sell way way sell.
>>
>no money for second seasons
>but there's money to adapt new shit

something's not right here, if there really was a problem, then the studios would simply go under
>>
>>135621298
Rentals are popular in Japan. Many anime fans over there just rent an interesting anime on BD for a much lower price if they want to see it. Buying the BDs is reserved for collectors and those who genuinely want to support the anime. Everyone wins.
>>
>>135621573
Yeah but there are no opmfags in this thread complaining about that shit.

Again there are no tears here.
>>
>>135621624

I say fuck that anime for existing. I'm not about to watch an anime adaptation of a visual novel written by Romeo of all people, released before the damn source material is even out. I'm gonna skip the anime and read the damn visual novel like everyone else who actually cares.
>>
>>135621720
>I was referring to original anime. I think you may have misread my post.
You responded to a post that was talking about anime original.
>>
File: 1443021595693.gif (275KB, 795x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1443021595693.gif
275KB, 795x1000px
>>135621723
>This is why Blu-rays sell way way sell.
>>
Bought Atla book 1,2,3 for about less than 100 dollars together. Nips need to fix their shit.
>>
>>135621011
You know the Blu-Ray Box set for TTGL goes for 500+ bucks right? I want you to think about that as you defend price gouging.
>>
If it goes like this, isn't Kyoani the winner on every sides?
They adapt 'their own stuff', and sell their own merch, plus they get fairly decent BD sells. If I remember correctly, they don't go through Aniplex too.
>>
>>135621600
Just hope for SAO to get less popular, I thought second season of SAO is not that well received anyway compared to season 1?
>>
>>135621720
>don't visit blog threads and meta threads
>except this one, which is anime related

Like I said, I blame tripfags like Mami Kawada Lover for encouraging threads like this.
>>
>>135621741
Yeah, me too obviously, but Japanese-incapable friends should be hyped at least for the anime.
>>
maybe you shouldn't divide a 26 episode series into 2-episode blu rays that cost $50 each
>>
>>135621769
Yeah because they're the only one who gives a shit about business models.
>>
>>135620669
>while the manga that didn't pay a single yen does
Wow She seems pretty dickish.
>>
The whole does Pierrot still make naruto fillers?
>>
>>135620669
Honestly, I can't think of any scenario where this setup turned out well and the manga was able to get more animation aside from 3 specific cases:
>FMA->FMA:Brotherhood
>Inuyasha -> Inuyasha the Final Act
>Attack on Titan

Though, honestly Inuyasha should just be lumped in with the other shonen that got really long runs.

It also leaves a lot of fans that got into the manga disappointed as they know they will never see the rest of it animated cause they didn't buy the blu-rays.
>>
>>135621769
Plus they don't have their actual studio in Tokyo which must save a fucking ton in rent money
>>
>>135621769
They go through Pony Canyon which isn't any different than Aniplex but yes, you're mostly right.
>>
>>135621720
>Maybe what they need to do is to relax their piracy laws

Spoken like a true flip who never pays for any of his shit.
>>
Also, remember that in Japan it's pretty much only otaku who buy BDs in the first place. For pretty much everything else (including kids' anime) they still mostly sell on DVD.

>>135621749
I think it was the anon who was mistaken then. From context I think he was referring to original anime.
>>
>>135621760
>>135621723
This is why Blu-rays sell way way less*
my bad
>>
Based Netflix will save anime with their original productions.
>>
>>135621741
>>135621779

Also note that the anime will only cover a prologue of sort - the part at school. The heroine's routes that cover working at an eroge company won't be in the anime. So the obvious goal is to use the anime to make as people as possible buy the VN, it even comes out just as the anime ends. But Western watchers are screwed.
>>
>>135621807
>Spoken like a true flip who never pays for any of his shit.
I bought manga, LNs and CDs when I visited Japan so...
>>
>>135621728
What happens is that the rights holders for a different product pay the anime company for making a new adaptation. While the anime companies don't make much money off of the current system, manga and LN publishers do. This is why we see so many adaptations and so little anime original works, unless someone else is willing to foot the bill there's just no money in anime originals. Doesn't help either that many of the highest selling anime have historically been adaptations, furthering the incentives.
>>
there's no season 2 because japs are butt fucking retarded

look at madhouse, they never fucking make season 2 of anything, but EVERY FUCKING SEASON there's a new show by them
seriously, they're fucking deluding themselfs if they thing the consumers are the problem
>>
>>135621721
Yea, that's why Psycho-Pass, Gintama, Madoka, PreCure, Lupin, and many others, sells out movie theatres like crazy. You must be pretty uninformed to believe that regular cartoons, not the ones aimed at adults and aired at 3am, are unprofitable and unpopular.
>>
>>135621819
!aNRFNkpkG added to filter
>>
>>135621728
Most anime from what I've heard can't recollect the cost of making. What studios do is that they're searching for the rare gems that make up for several failed shows worth of money. Second seasons very rarely make more money than the first, so it's a failed bet even before it started.
>>
>>135621348
More like there are different kinds of anime for different demographics. It's just our kind happens to be niche.

>>135621437
There are plenty of anime that don't rely on BD\DVD sales at all and are targeted at kids, like most anime used to be in the past. It's just /a/ doesn't talk a lot about those.
>>
>>135621769
>If it goes like this, isn't Kyoani the winner on every sides?
It's not easy to say. They do actually have lot of in-house employees which can help keeping initial investment low. I personally doubt, they can produce multiple series alone on their own revenue. Especially when their LN brands is competing with giants like Kadokawa.
>>
>>135621769
They're a small studio, their entire revenue for 2013-2015 combined is still less than one season revenue of precure
also see >>135621806
>>
>>135621843
And pirated the rest while complaining about "draconian" piracy laws.
>>
File: 1439459583235.png (148KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1439459583235.png
148KB, 400x267px
>>135621864
Don't! He's part of the strongest race in the world!
>>
>>135621867
>rare gems

i don't think the shitty LN adaptations are much of rare gems
>>
>>135620669
downloading fansubbed encoded tv streams off of nyaa doesn't mean your supporting the anime industry
>>
>>135621918
I'm not talking about quality I'm talking about sales. If you hit big with SAO then you can keep the studio floating for some time.
>>
>>135620864
You joke about 700 dollars but
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gurren-Lagann-Limited-Edition/dp/B00ATYCF1Y
>>
File: 1448339624714.jpg (59KB, 720x715px) Image search: [Google]
1448339624714.jpg
59KB, 720x715px
>>135621916
>>
>>135621860
>Yea, that's why Psycho-Pass, Gintama, Madoka, PreCure, Lupin, and many others, sells out movie theatres like crazy.
Yeah but how many similar shows flop? Almost every season there is some new little kids cartoon, or drama, or comedy, and most of them flop. You're just cherry picking.
>>
It makes me wonder why Daisuki.net isn't a pay service. Also, shouldn't they add the money they get from licensing to that as well? If they are getting money from, for example, the U.S, Italy, France, Australia, & etc. that would that be like $100-200K USD p/country, no? Why isn't that considered as well?
>>
>>135621936
shit, most current studios exist for almost a decade and not even 90% of them have ever had even 1 10k sale anime, how the hell don't they go under?
>>
>>135621858
>but EVERY FUCKING SEASON there's a new show by them

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?
>>
>>135621378
There is no airing anime. The crossboarding shit heads think they're welcome to the board
>>
>>135621881
>It's just /a/ doesn't talk a lot about those.
With the exception of Precure and Yugioh
>>
>>135621068
Chihayafuru is government funded
>>
File: 9cb.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
9cb.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>>135621887
>their entire revenue for 2013-2015 combined is still less than one season revenue of precure
A-Amazing
>>
>>135621960
>self-hating pinoy from /int/

Will you look at that.
>>
>>135621774
SAO 2 did pretty good but it didn't sell even half as much as the first season (45372 copies) vs 18471 of season 2.
>>
>>135621960
You need to switch the amount of Butthurt and Pinoy Pride. You know how salty Flips are.
>>
File: ohaioooo onichan.jpg (25KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
ohaioooo onichan.jpg
25KB, 624x351px
>>135620669
>2016
>physical blu ray

>meanwhile gaming is saved by steam and online store

i think japs publisher is being hard headed idiot that refuse to change
>>
>>135621135
N O P E .

Crunchyroll may do the same as Netflix, or they took into consideration producing original anime. It'll still be in the same state it currently is in. Netflix original animr, will likely consist of predominately shonen, magical girl, and mecha, coz if you look at the creators behind Bee and Puppycat, the Boondocks, Sym Boinic Titan, that is what influenced them and the CEOs and Exs are Netflix probably want to produce cookie-cutter anime of that sort "It's the next Sailor Moon, Naruto, Gunam, etc cetera"
>>
>>135621961
Most of these are unambitious shows either aimed at popularising already existing product (game/comic/book/etc) or are done simply in order to keep the studio afloat.
>>
>>135621769
They adapt obscure LN's.
>>
>>135621999
And aikatsu, and pokemon which have it's own board /vp/, and dragonball
>>
>>135621978
Because they keep finding new projects to work on. Essentially anime studios are living paycheck to paycheck, hoping to one day make it big on some wildly popular show.
>>
File: 1427782070785.png (91KB, 338x609px) Image search: [Google]
1427782070785.png
91KB, 338x609px
The actual problem here is scheduling.

It comes down to how much money the studio gets for the creation of the adaptation and how much the studio actually spends. If you have to deal with awful working conditions, missed deadlines, higher expected cost, you'll quickly run out of money.

I'm going to say that the party at fault will vary depending on who you ask. The rights holder wants a studio that can calculate resources properly and the studio wants more money from the corresponding party and blames everyone but themselves.

Looking at KyoAni, I'm going to go with the first one and say that most studios do not have a very good plan for scheduling and resource calculation.
>>
>>135621970
Because they use ads, which we all use adblock so their revenue must be shit
>>
>>135621979
it starts getting bad when you've watched dozens of shit that you know will never get continuity, like, what's even the point of watching their shows any more?
>>
>>135621887
>precure
don't they make most of their money on toy sales?
>>
>>135621459
Niche Indie films don't try to be a market, the whole western indie scenario is far too deep into socialism to even be financially viable, all they do is to make some cheap shit and cry when they can't live out of it.
>>
>>135621819
the originating post says 'anime original'
you began responding with 'original anime'
its pretty clear just who is mistaken and who misread the post
>>
>>135622059
B-But I liked Hunter x Hunter by them.
>>
>>135621088
>They pay to air.
What's the fucking point then?
>>
>>135622013
Well probably was because SAO S2 was shittier than S1.
>>
>>135621970
Daisuki does have premium content you have to pay for, most notably Gundam The Origin.

Also, I believe that they're still in the promotion phase, trying to make Daisuki known to the rest of the world that it actually exists at all.
>>
>>135620669
Well shame on them for making bs prices on some cheap animation, can't wait till anime dies off.

Manga is way more worth it in every way.
>>
>>135621978
because anime economics is a role play topic. No one here actually can't back up what they are saying except the toy sale anime which are owned by public companies and list revenue.
>>
>>135621978
Because they get fucking paid to make anime.
>>
>>135622077
esl fob flips tend to do that. English isn't their native language, after all.
>>
That's why Kyoani moved to "inhouse" adaptation.
>>
>>135622083
Most people in the anime industry are artists that have no mind for business, they just want to draw pretty cartoons.
>>
>>135621659
A lot of Japanese artists seem genuinely surprised when they learn that there's an international audience to their work.
>>135621716
A lot of artsy types don't like to have buisinessmen standing over them because it inhibits their artistic freedom. Unfortunately, if you don't know how to run a buisiness, you're not going to get very far on artistic freedom alone.

On the idea of consolidating: Bargaining power is a significant issue. One alternative would be for studios to organize and negotiate deals collectively, assuming that doesn't violate Japanese anti-trust laws. If it does (which would be retarded, but sadly expected), then they may indeed have no alternative but to aggregate under fewer, larger buisiness entities.
>>
>>135622041
Previously. Now they actually publish their own, then eventually adapt them (or in the case of Free, adapt them even before the LN itself is released).
>>
>>135622071
The point is that its still niche and doesn't ask me to buy 5 parts of film for 60 dollars each to see the whole film
>>
>>135622013
Good good, even the Japs know that SAO getting shittier after first arc of season 1, season 3 is still going to happen anyway I hope it will be the last season it's going to get.
>>
My favourite animu sold ten thousand BDs and it didn't get a S2, now what?
>>
>>135622144
Hyouka?
>>
>>135621774
>Just hope for SAO to get less popular
That's not happening. With the movie and all, it'll likely reignite interest again.
>>
>>135622055
When most of the industry is freelance or never met each other, it's no wonder that happens.
>>
>>135622060
Yes, most if not all of toei's IP doesn't rely on BD sales
>Mobile Suit Gundam,
>Yo-kai Watch
>Kamen Rider
>Power Rangers
>One Piece
>Dragon Ball
>Aikatsu!
>Anpanman
>PreCure

and shows like anpanman, lupin and sazae-san always have a top tv ratings
>>
>>135621438
Because no one actually know what is guaranteed to sell, unless you have monogatari in the title. See kagerou project for example
>>
>>135620669
Maybe they should try something like Fullmetal Alchemist, where they don't completely rely on the source material first and do their own thing after establishing the main plot. Then make a faithful adaptation afterwards if there is demand for it.
>>
>>135622144
I dunno what world you live in where 10K anything is good sales.
>>
>>135621664
this a thread about the anime industry , I don't think it counts as a blog thread.
>>
>>135622144
so it sold less then 2000 per volume?
>>
File: 1443023223168.png (142KB, 1317x1078px) Image search: [Google]
1443023223168.png
142KB, 1317x1078px
>>135622118
esl? fob?
>>
>>135622159
Hyouka sold 10k but the box added another 10k if I remember correctly.
>>
>>135622181
Don't be a newfag, 10k average for an anime is already a high number
>>
>>135622181
then what is?
>>
>>135621887
Precure is not late night otaku anime.
>>
Actually Production IG & Kyoani have the right idea. They also run second businesses. Production IG also runs a restaurant & Kyoani runs an animation school. These are also other ways an animation company could make more money. Like if JC Staff could do a museum or something or even a small theater that would be a great way to acquire additional funds.
>>
>>135622182
Then it's a shitty meta thread.
>>
>>135622180
isn't FMA new adaption sold less than their fist?
>>
File: 1450612324663.png (156KB, 451x387px) Image search: [Google]
1450612324663.png
156KB, 451x387px
>Buy 1 blur-ray which is about 2-3 episodes for 60+ dollars
>Or buy one volume of a manga for 10 bucks that could equal to 50% to 100% of season 1 of the anime
Gee, not a hard choice is it.
>>
File: Shame.jpg (117KB, 977x538px) Image search: [Google]
Shame.jpg
117KB, 977x538px
Kek, I legit don't know how these weebs who stay home all day are even able to afford these retarded prices for anime anyways.
>>
>>135622171
>Gundam
>Toei
>>
>>135620669
>shit studio still rely on adapting other people source manga material
Based Kyoani is ahead of the curve again by producing and publishing their own stuff.
>>
>>135621978
Because they don't invest or decide anything in making anime and are simply getting paid to do it.
>>
>>135622238
Most otaku have jobs.
>>
File: 1427479136126[1].png (332KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1427479136126[1].png
332KB, 596x628px
>>135620669
>producing shit show
>cry on twitter for no s2
>>
>>135621819
>From context I think he was referring to original anime.
>pinoy pride fob in charge of reading comprehension
>>
Who even buys blu rays of anything? Not many people, that's for sure. Digital media is so much more convenient. I can't remember the last time I paid for a physical copy of a movie or tv show, and I don't know a single person that does either. I'm not sure what the solution is for anime studios to make money, but I don't think blu ray is the answer.
>>
>>135622225
>Production IG also runs a restaurant
seriously? what kind?
>>
>>135622230
It's not even 10 bucks, more like 5 or 4.
>>
>>135622230
>10 bucks for 1 volume manga
Holy shit, it costs ~1 dollar on Akiba.
>>
File: 1451198907299.jpg (127KB, 517x529px) Image search: [Google]
1451198907299.jpg
127KB, 517x529px
Posting this again, I think this is relevant?
>>
>>135622238
Not everyone is a poorfag, most people don't have to do hard work to earn money
>>
>>135622198
"English as a second language" and "Fresh off the boat" respectively.
>>
>>135622238
>weebs
You're talking about Japanese people. What you said makes no sense.
>>
>>135622026
it's strange considering how out there some of Netflix live-action original shows are. *cough* Hemlock Grove *cough*

They're clearly willing to take risks, just not with anime
>>
errr... is anime doesn't generate sales for the animation company, then how come shonen like naruto and one piece keep chugging out new episodes?
>>
>>135622273
>>135622276
I don't know the prices of manga in Japan, I just went of some US prices I've seen and holy shit the choice is even easier.
>>
>>135622238
>weebs
>same as otaku

Know the difference.
>>
>>135622022
I mean those idiots still draw their cartoons by hand instead of making them 3d!
>>
>>135622292
>just not with anime
anime is too niche
>>
>>135622306
Merch. Billions of yen of merch.
>>
>>135622306
>naming two of the most popular series in the world
Gee, wonder why they can afford to keep making that!
>>
Shit thread.
>>
File: Akumetsu 0159-015.png (480KB, 1558x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Akumetsu 0159-015.png
480KB, 1558x1200px
So will /a/ now finally give up on their shitty S2 dreams and read manga?
>>
>>135622306
Because it airs in prime time and the broadcasting network is paying for it.
>>
>>135622181
Fuck off retard. Depending on the show even 5k average can get you a S2.
>>
>>135622198
That picture is a good example of an esl fob, actually.
>>
>>135622269
Just a normal one underneath its offices. You could go there & meet someone who works there which would be a big draw including having decent food. Having a second business would be a great way to generate more income rather than relying on just animation unless they are getting freelance from out of the country.
>>
>>135622306
I'm pretty sure stations are paying to have these on their channel.
>>
>>135622077
Same thing, bruh.
>>
>>135622242
it's namco sorry
>>
the nips need to make make less and better anime, maybe that will help

>we make shit anime, it does not sell, oh no
>>
File: 1420436311147.png (66KB, 294x320px) Image search: [Google]
1420436311147.png
66KB, 294x320px
>>135622277
How is it there are only 400-somethings doujin circles for SnK at comicket when it's on of the top sellers manga?
Why, when Touken Ranbu gets more than twice the amounts?
>>
>>135622353
>read manga
>from scanlations that help kill the industry

Bravo, /a/.
>>
>>135622353
Reading is for fags
>>
>>135622428
p much
>>
Real niggas wait until all the episodes are in one BD.
>>
>>135622426
Go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>135620765
Explain shonen jump's 200+ episodes anime.
>>
File: 1386638406637.png (869KB, 3560x4280px) Image search: [Google]
1386638406637.png
869KB, 3560x4280px
>>135621011
Can't really imagine printing a fucking BD costs more than 400 yen including the packaging if produced en masse.

I mean just look at Teekyuu, it's 30 bucks for one "season" which means 24 minutes of content + 2 OVAs so it's 28, for 30 bucks.

That's 1 buck per minute of crappy animation compared to 0,5 bucks per minute of decent animation if there's 4 episodes for some 80 bucks.

tl;dr: Teekyuu will have 20 seasons and the age of short anime is upon us.
>>
>>135622413
There are tons of high budget anime that utterly flop. It's much more sensible to throw a lot of relatively cheap series and hope some of them get popular. Then their S2s usually have much better budget.
>>
>>135622413
you just need to stop posting altogether
>>
File: 1437081958354.jpg (72KB, 598x673px) Image search: [Google]
1437081958354.jpg
72KB, 598x673px
Anime is shit, we all know that.
Manga is easily superior. Way better art, more variety, cheaper. The only problem is us filthy gaijins can't read most of them.
Unless more studios become like Kyoani, its going to stagnate until we get another Gundam or Haruhi tier success.
>>
>>135622415
Doujin market is different from the professional ones. People like stuff like Kancolle, Touhou and Touken Ranbu when there's more freedom in what the fan is allowed. If it's a series with too much story the fanfics are more constrained.
>>
>>135622426
To be fair i can't read moon, and if there's a localized manga in my area, i'll definitely buy it

importing manga is fucking expensive, and it's in moon
>>
File: kingdom-4250117.jpg (238KB, 1200x858px) Image search: [Google]
kingdom-4250117.jpg
238KB, 1200x858px
>>135622426
Manga industry in Japan is too big to get killed anyways, if it ends up getting licensed then support it i guess.

>>135622428
You read the subs, you are no different.
>>
>>135622463
>support the industry by pirating from it

Leeches pls.
>>
>>135622353
I don't like watching shitty black and white comics.
>>
Siily Jap need to move on with new business model.
Hell, Ken Akamatsu made an experiment by pirating his own stuff and already making more ads money than selling to publisher

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/8448400.html
>>
>>135622470
Different business models. 200+ episode shows don't air at night.
>>
>>135622514
>Manga industry in Japan is too big to get killed anyways
>Rich people can afford cars like bikes anyway, so it's okay to steal cars
>>
>>135622514
Yeah but I don't have to look at still images
>>
Is this anime sales thread?

2015 Oricon Anime Series Overall Sales (2014/12/08~2015/12/13)[
*2 214,413 うたのプリンスさまっマジLOVE レボリューションズ
*3 153,065 映画 妖怪ウォッチ 誕生の秘密だニャン!
*4 152,610 機動戦士ガンダム THE ORIGIN
*5 151,825 黒子のバスケ
*6 145,007 ソードアート・オンライン II
*8 130,323 SHIROBAKO
*9 129,866 Free! -Eternal Summer-
10 124,969 STAND BY ME ドラえもん
11 114,378 艦隊これくしょん -艦これ-
12 108,196 ラブライブ! 2nd Season
13 103,479 血界戦線
14 *98,149 ハイキュー!!
15 *96,539 四月は君の嘘
16 *94,609 金田一少年の事件簿R(リターンズ)(2期)
17 *91,309 ジョジョの奇妙な冒険 スターダストクルセイダース
18 *89,666 アイドルマスター シンデレラガールズ
20 *86,828 THE LAST -NARUTO THE MOVIE-
>22 *76,419 ガンダム Gのレコンギスタ
23 *76,222 Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works]
24 *73,463 冴えない彼女の育てかた
25 *72,339 ONE PIECE
26 *71,174 憑物語
27 *70,883 弱虫ペダル GRANDE ROAD
28 *66,752 それいけ! アンパンマン
30 *65,787 ドラゴンボールZ 復活の「F」
>>
>>135622536
Translate it weebs
>>
File: zs1AIbO.gif (134KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
zs1AIbO.gif
134KB, 340x340px
>>135622477
you need to fuck off
>>
>>135622476
He's partially right. Nobody is going to bother looking up good anime when the whole fandom has image of rejects. Potential buyers are simply repulsed.

The reaction from producers is as you said, to throw lot of shit around in hope one of them will make it big with the audience you have.
>>
File: 1418454009531.jpg (77KB, 450x518px) Image search: [Google]
1418454009531.jpg
77KB, 450x518px
>>135622514
In fact, buying licensed manga should make the Nips realize there's a market outside of their island, shouldn't it?
>>
>>135622227
No. A meta thread would be about /a/ itself. We're discussing the industry, which is completely on-topic and frankly I think is a discussion that needs to be had more often.
>>135622258
I think it is obvious that the industry as a whole needs to move away from BDs as their primary income source, but the question is, to what?

The internet makes a lot of new buisiness opportunities, but it's a sort of creative destruction in that a lot of old buisinesses die in the process. Copyrights are obviously impossible to enforce, so that means you can really only get revenue from the merch.

I talk with a lot of webcomic artists, and merch is pretty much how all of them make their living. Problem is, of course, that animation is a lot more expensive and time-consuming than drawing stuff is.

For all the complaints about CGI, the future of the industry may rely on technologies that will make animation much less expensive. Pay attention to developments in flash/web animation to see where that's headed.
>>
>>135621443
>No adult will keep watching same LN adaptation every season and don't have a time or isn't in a mood to go through all the shit to find a worthwhile series
I beg to fucking differ. Westerners who watch live action fucking love to eat up their movies and tv shows of literally the same thing constantly
>>
>>135622426
If you can read moon Kindle store is actually pretty decent ( I think you need a japanese Kindle to use it though), wish the releases were faster digitally though.
>>
>>135622543
>Pirating
>Stealing
>>
>>135622583
He says that ads profits from one month were about as much as he gets from the publisher in a year.
>>
>>135622415
Doujin market is where the fandom money is. SnK has lot of merchandise these amateur creators have to compete with. On the other hand Touhou or Kancolle has lot of leeway for personal fantasies.
>>
>>135622591
Most adults generally don't watch cartoons, "good" or not. Maybe something with very high budget and entertainment value which you can watch with your family like Pixar or mainstream anime movies. You won't be able to attract them no matter what you do.
>>
>>135622613
The thing about the market outside of japan is that the market is very very very small. I mean hell, comic books basically died out in the west. With them releasing more manga here, it would have to first get popular, which I do not see happening at all.
>>
>>135620669
>Start making more original anime
>Problem solves itself
>>
>>135622621
They should take a look at apple itunes store

i think that is the future
simple, easy and relatively cheap
>>
>>135622653
Not Stealing, just Leeching
>>
File: sauce.jpg (78KB, 600x593px) Image search: [Google]
sauce.jpg
78KB, 600x593px
>>135620765
Are you retarded?

Manglobe specifically produced anime with this mindset.

They created anime to advertise the manga. That's what they were paid for.

They were actually surprised by its success in selling DVD's and BD's as it sold way more than any other of its series, which is why they did so much of it, because it produced them a bigger profit in addition to the payment bonus for advertising the manga.

In fact this is how many studios produce their money. Another example is Madhouse.
That's why Kaiji is full of movie advertisement

A lot of anime is marketed with the attention to specifically advertise something rather than to sell BD's, which are secondary.
>>
>>135622621
>another tripfag encouraging this shit

Why am I not surprised?
>>
File: Kyoukai.jpg (862KB, 1680x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Kyoukai.jpg
862KB, 1680x1200px
>>135622514
>Kingdom
>Top 10 best selling manga in Japan
>Literally the only on the list still not licenced yet

Fucking why? Amerifats would eat this shit up.
>>
>>135622710
Manga is pretty popular in Europe, from what I heard, so they don't have to rely on the American market.
>>
>>135620765
Manglobe didn't actually really have that many hits, tried to make lots of original anime that unfortunately flopped, didn't get enough work to produce adaptions, were honestly rather not that good, couldn't manage their finances, and in the end went under because they stayed in the red for too long.

It happens.
>>
File: 1442888908101.gif (636KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
1442888908101.gif
636KB, 500x545px
This is why Kyoani is literally saving anime.
TYBKA
>>
A studio wont put provide the majority costs to produce an IP they don't own. also the whole thread is BULLSHIT
>>
>They should just make anime with broader appeal :^)
This is how that would go:
>otaku ignore it because they don't want normalfag shit
>normalfags ignore it because it's anime

There's a reason normalfag manga are adapted into live action dramas instead of anime.
>>
>>135622690
Indeed, but it doesn't mean current market has all the fans it can get. Most popular anime series prove there is a lot of money to be made even if the most adults don't want to watch it.

Remember that Greater Tokyo Area alone has 40mil. people. Selling 7K BDs of one volume is a joke.
>>
>>135622726
Yeah. It's a shame that Apple compartmentalizes everything so we have to play games like buying Japanese gift cards. Just who benefits from that arrangement is completely lost on me.
>>135622732
You need to stop with this moralizing. Whining about piracy isn't going to change the fact that there's effectively no way to stop people from copying and sharing digital information. The industry needs to wake up and smell the matcha in the morning.
>>
>>135622762
But how popular are we talking about here though?
>>
>>135622536
Wait, he pirated his own works and put them online and the ad money he got from that website was more than his publisher pays him regularly?
>>
>>135620669
>market anime channel for tv/internet with best quality for western world

wow that was hard, all you need to do is to make west accept anime into daily lives, there is already all kinds of denegeracy, so more anime would do nothing

we are going to have wars in few years anyway
>>
>>135622762
>Manga is pretty popular in Europe
Cartoon is pretty popular in Europe

it doesn't have to be japanese manga/anime, just look at frozen and avatar (atla and korra) it sold really well in europe
>>
>>135622762
Germanfag here, and yeah, once manga volumes with 200 pages started to come out here, they were/are selling way better than most western comics published on our market. Don't know about other EU countries, though, like France fore example.
>>
>>135622858
korra sucked
>>
For those pirates who are deluded into thinking Japan is grateful for Gaijin who steal from them, read this.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-03/voice-actor-minoru-shiraishi-apologizes-for-downloading-dojinshi/.97167

Even if it's fucking doujinshi, it's intolerable.
>>
>>135622277
>SnK is Japan's most popular manga
Is it safe to say Japs have shit taste?
>>
>>135622710
>>135622762
In France, for 2013, manga was 39.3% of the new titles put out. With Naruto and OP selling more than 150000 units.

Source for those who can read frog: http://mondedulivre.hypotheses.org/1929

But merch wouldn't sell as well as in Japan, and it's limited to about 1500 titles, when who knows more titles exist.
>>
>>135622881
lewd
>>
>>135622881
And isn't anime.
>>
>>135620669
But it's not always the case. Sometimes BD's sell good, but they still won't make the second season for whatever reason. Take Overlord for example.
>>
>>135622843
He made an experiment by putting his stuff online, free for download.

Ads money were massive.
>>
>>135622475
For every anime short like Teekyuu that actually manages to sell a BD (which contains the entire season + perhaps an unaired episode/OVA to entice people into buying that stuff in the first place), there are tons of short anime like Somera-chan and Hakone-chan that sell like crap.

However, those short anime are literally filler, meant to be put between two blocks, when there's absolutely no commercial, late-night show, movie, series, or anime airing.
>>
>>135622710
>comic books basically died out in the west.

It hasn't died, it's just small and niche.

Hundreds of thousands of copies sold per issue for popular titles versus millions.
>>
>>135620899
the fucking cat is out of place
>>
>>135622022
>>meanwhile gaming is saved by steam and online store
>paying for things you dont even own
>>
>>135622890
>that apology
I can almost see Shiraishi on his knees, bowing for downloading a doujin illegally as if he did something horrendous.
Poor guy.
>>
>>135622022
It's not only blu rays, nips also refuse to sell their music online.
>>
>>135622890
How can Japan be so anal about their piracy stuff while completely ignoring the massive copyright infringement that is the doujin market?
>>
>>135622818
How is "Minna! Esper Dayo!" a normalfag series?
>>
>>135622770
wasn't the reason lack of freelance animators rather than finance issues?
>>
File: 1435703700685.png (535KB, 1372x330px) Image search: [Google]
1435703700685.png
535KB, 1372x330px
>>135622976
>>
>>135622923
It just ended last year you fucking retard, give it a year before you start bitching already.
>>
>>135622890
I dont know why Jap were fucktard with business sense for new millennium.

No wonder Korea is surpassing them.
>>
>>135622828
Out of those 40 million people, how many watches anime? How many of those people can actually afford to buy BD's of their favorite anime? You have to be a true fan to waste so much money on your chinese cartoons.
>>
File: 543423424242432.jpg (2MB, 1400x2100px) Image search: [Google]
543423424242432.jpg
2MB, 1400x2100px
>no matter how hard you try make anime it doesn't sell because otakushit
>original anime is doomed from the beginning if it's not pandering hard
I feel sorry for all animators. I bet animator expo BD don't sell too
>>
>>135622890
>Japan is grateful for Gaijin who steal from them

It's pretty disgusting. I hear the same arguments (excuses, really) over and over.

>muh translations and I can't read moon
>muh pirating has made the series popular without any marketing
>muh advertising and think of it as viral marketing bullshit
>>
>>135622839
Europe is the second largest manga market, next to Japan.

>>135622890
>reads the forum sections
>all those people caring about copyright of comics which are themselves technically copyright infringement
ANN finds another way to make me laugh.

>>135623004
No, they really filed for bankruptcy. Didn't help that in more than a decade of operation their only "hits" was Karneval and to a lesser extent TWGOK (which had only modest sales at best). Original anime can only help you if you are part of the production committee and more importantly, if they sell, something with almost of their shows failed to do.
>>
>>135622967
Agreed, but it's partially niche because for a lot of colored comics you get new issues/books with 48-80 pages for a higher price than a b/w 200 page manga volume.
>>
>>135623010
are you taunting me?
>>
>>135623000
Because doujins actually breed artists who move on to create original work.

Hell, fanfiction turned million-dollar hit is a thing in America too nowadays.
>>
I'm not sure of the business of streaming in Japan (which I'm guessing is dominated by NND), but I'm curious as to why streaming hasn't had the same effect over there as it has had in the States.
>>
>>135622717
>original anime
>sells
Never
>>
>>135623050
Well the animator expo stuff isn't suppose to make money, it's an artistic showcase.
>>
>>135623041
The first episode of GochiUsa has like 6 million views on nicovideo, and from all I hear I don't think the number of otaku / anime viewers in Japan is decreasing. It's just that people don't want to buy blurays, there's no point in doing it.
>>
>>135623019
Korean animu when?
most of outsource animator in anime is korean anyway
>>
>>135623019
>I dont know why Jap were fucktard with business sense for new millennium.
They've been fuktards with business for the last three decades.
>>
>>135623058
>which are themselves technically copyright infringement

I fail to see how this somehow justifies piracy, flippo.
>>
>>135623101
Noblesse is getting an OVA soon this year.
>>
>>135623053
Thing is from what I've seen a lot of people pirate because the "official" releases are either too expensive, or worse, unavailable outside of Japan. Sometimes these companies deliberately try to block non-Japanese sales (many eroge games for example deliberately say "for sale in Japan only", and some eroge company websites even block non-Japanese IP addresses). So if anything, they need to take at least part of the blame.
>>
>>135622621
>derpcommander
Kill yourself

>A meta thread would be about /a/ itself
No, industry discussion is a meta thread. It's a meta thread about anime, turbo nigger. Meta threads in all form are shit and should next to never occur

Kill yourself
>>
>anime is a niche market
>weebs everywhere

why
>>
>>135623084
To my knowledge, it only happened twice, with the 50 shades and the Mortal Instruments serie.
Also a third time if you consider that serie of books with the male love interest supposedly being one of 1D's lookalike.
You can't really call that a successful business model.
>>
File: Marvel Inclusiveness.jpg (282KB, 1113x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Marvel Inclusiveness.jpg
282KB, 1113x1017px
>>135623064
Yes. Which also explains why they're attempting to cater to other markets.
>>
>>135623121
I didn't say that that justifies piracy. I was just laughing at how seriously ANN and its community takes this sort of thing. It's one of the few places online I can think of whose community (not just webmasters) frown on piracy.
>>
File: image.png (231KB, 475x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
231KB, 475x349px
>>135622853
>degeneracy
Don't you have somewhere else to be? Like >>>/pol/ perhaps?
>>135622828
This is why, as much as /a/ loves to hate on "normies", I'm always trying to drum up interest in anime. I recommend it to friends, and I try to get people to watch Toonami. If we expect the industry to survive, we can't just sit around with some "seekrit club" attitude, because that's not how capitalism works.
>>
>>135623041
Who knows? We know for sure that most popular late night anime can get into 75K range. Aniplex marketing shot Madoka so high nobody even believed it.
>>
>>135623121
>You're infringing my copyright on my copyright infringing material!
>>
>>135622543
I guess everyone who goes to libraries and checks out a book is stealing then.

Fuck off nigger.
>>
>>135623130
>Thing is from what I've seen a lot of people pirate because the "official" releases are either too expensive, or worse, unavailable outside of Japan.

You just repeated one of my greentexts.

If it's not available to you, pirating isn't a justification to getting it. Fucking import it, ya flipfag leech.
>>
Anime is very expensive to buy on disc. Lower the damn prices, what the fuck.
>>
File: 1423572231206.jpg (85KB, 543x413px) Image search: [Google]
1423572231206.jpg
85KB, 543x413px
>>135623095
look at >>135622580 Shirobako
>>
File: 1442916799162.png (29KB, 224x353px) Image search: [Google]
1442916799162.png
29KB, 224x353px
>>135623137
>there are people out there who actually wish they were Japanese
Still baffles me to this day.
>>
>>135621945
jesus fucking christ.
>>
>>135623157
>To my knowledge, it only happened twice, with the 50 shades and the Mortal Instruments serie.
personally I count TFA
>>
>>135623187
Whats the point of importing something you can't read?
>>
>>135622890
This is completely irrelevant. If you're popular you can't just post pictures from pirated anime/movie/manga/comic. That's why a lot people have two twitter accounts.
>>
>>135623198

i-it's okay if you're living in a 3rd world shithole.
>>
>>135623158
The fuck?

where's trump when you need him?
>>
>>135620669
Didn't Terra Formars sold like shit, and we getting second season anyways? I thought it was exactly because the manga is selling greatly on Japan.
>>
>>135623050
most otaku shit doesn't sell much though.
>>
>>135622960
So why don't popular mangakas just start a website like Batoto together? Seems like it'd be more profitable for them than working for publishers.
Digital distribution in general might be the future of the medium, but for some reason japan refuses to go that step.
>>
>>135623157
Harry Potter is LOTR fanfiction with the names changed.

Dante's Divine Comedy is Bible fanfiction now part of literary curriculum everywhere.
>>
>>135623192
>Shirobako
One trick pony
>>
>>135622536
>Ken Akamatsu
Is he like the only manga author at this point of time that tries to do anything? I guess getting fucked over with Negi really got to him
>>
>>135623137
Weebs are over represented on the internet, just like furries, racists, and various other niche groups.
>>
>>135623252
>but for some reason japan refuses to go that step.
We are talking about a country that still uses fax machines.
>>
>>135620669
But the only anime I want to see new seasons of sold fucking great.
>>
>>135623232
But if you're a piece of shit gaijin who wants to get stuff for free over the Internet, it's suddenly okay?

The point here is that Japan never supported piracy from gaijin, they just don't know how to stop it.
>>
>>135622536
>Japan finally understands Neil Gaimon was right
>>
>>135623187
>Fucking import it
In some cases, they explicitly ban shipping to other countries. Good luck with those cases.
>>
>>135623252
Popular mangakas have little to win, since they mostly earn money by tankoubon sales and getting their stuff published on the big magazines is good for publicity. It's the fringe artist that can't sustain popularity for long in the major magazines that should take up and create these platforms.
>>
>>135623291
Neil Gaimon is always right, shame no one listens.
>>
>>135623252
For how ahead of the curve they were with technology in the 80's and 90's they really stagnated hard. Just got complacent I guess, and now the rest of the world is leaving them in the dust.
>>
>>135623264
Madoka? Psycho Pass? Code Geass?
Really you're talking out of your ass.
>>
>>135623280
All countries still use fax machines, old people don't like change.
>>
>>135623280
Sending things through fax machines is pretty much more secure then using the majority of digital services, anon
>>
>>135623225
Learn Japanese or wait for a localization instead of leeching off people.

>>135623308
Then it's not available to you. That's no reason to pirate it if you have any intention of supporting the industry.
>>
>>135623250
>Chaos;Child on XboxOne
>sell aroud 600 copies in first week
>WORLDWIDE
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>135623283
That's the thing, *no one* can stop digital piracy. The laws of information science pretty much make that impossible. The only thing people can do is either work around it, or find a way to profit from the piracy itself. Copyrights are pretty much a dead letter as far as applying to the consumer market.
>>
>>135623252
I think its just the unknown ones with nothing to lose that go that route
thats how the watamote mangaka started out irc
>>
>>135622679
>He says that ads profits from one month were about as much as he gets from the publisher in a year.
Damn, so most of the money go to the publisher?
>>
>>135623058
>ANN finds another way to make me laugh.
>OKAYADO, the creator of Monster Musume, revealed that he attended the winter Comiket held at the end of last month and purchased dōjinshi of his own manga.

Fuck off, flip.
>>
>>135621769
They also keep it to one or two shows a season and learned their lesson on expensive BDs after nichijou, which many companies still haven't.
>>
>>135623158
The American comic industry is committing suicide and it's fucking hilarious.
>People shriek about muh diversity and social justice
>Companies like Marvel and DC cater to those shrieks, thinking they have to keep up with seemingly changing demographics
>The complainers don't even buy comics to begin with
>Their actual customer base is now totally alienated and moves on to another hobby
>>
>>135623272
not just the internet. I live in one of the most bogan white trash city suburbs in Australia and I still run into obvious weebs on the daily, not even counting those hiding their power levels.

fact is, if they gave a shit about the international market they could be making so much more money than they are - niche shows or not
>>
>>135623158
Pretty much like Japan turning everything into little girls, then. Even eldritch horrors for crap's sake.
>>
>>135623252
Japanese are generally bad at business. Rumiko Takahashi is one of the richest women in Japan and that because she who knew how to do business.

That being said, they probably don't have too much time to dig around instead of working and pants-on-head-retarded corporate structure in Japan is not helping
>>
Jap should keep true to their shitty business practices cause when they finally try go west to wider audiences it will be over for anime.
>>
>>135623362
Can you seriously just fuck off already? Not just are you mobile posting, you are also spouting uninformed bullshit. Piracy is fucking incredibly easy to stop and we are on our way to that occurring with all the privacy laws. Just kill yourself already
>>
>>135623385
I was referring to the forum, not the article.

>>135623378
In a lot of media that's the case. Even with music, only a small part of royalties actually go to the artists. It's a harsh reality which I personally believe should be changed, but it's still the reality.
>>
>>135623385
he started off as a doujin artist
>>
All the talk about anime only appealing to a niche market is misleading. Sure that's true to an extent since it's all animation as opposed to live action, but if you look at all the shows that premiered in the last year or two the genres are just about as varied as regular TV. The problem is that it's those lowly pandering shows that sell more than the rest, which is why we got like three fucking battle harems in just the last season.

Stuff like kid's anime, shoujo anime have always been produced but it's at least partially due to the rise in popularity of anime fueled by shows with these elements that we get what we have today. The only difference between then and now, aside from the technology, is that you had fanservice in all sorts of different forms be it mecha porn in OVA series like Gunbuster, Project A-ko, etc. or popular culture references (try and count the number in Daicon IV). However that shit requires talent and money, both of which Japan seems to be seriously lacking nowadays. I know I've seen on at least more than one occasion somebody in the industry bemoaning the lack of upcoming talent which is probably why we have so much anime animated by shitty Koreans and/or done in godawful CGI.

Drawing naked girls seems to be a hell of a lot easier than intricate ship/mecha designs which is probably why the latter is almost exclusively CGI now, even though it rarely looks good - just passable.

If anything I'd say the problem isn't the market itself, but the disillusionment of the industry in response. Yes money talks but you listen to it so much you lose sight of what attracted you to the industry in the first place and play it safe out of fear of failure. Maybe if they took more risks - and I mean them not via outsourcing - and put their hearts into it maybe anime could be saved.
>>
>>135623336
Exceptions
>Code Geass
Pandering to everyone.
>Madoka
Mahou shoujo
>Psycho Pass
Pandering hard
>>
>>135623329
The sad thing is while he's a great writer, he's not Harry Potter/Twilight levels popular, yet his trial which Ken now emulates clearly succeeded. If a guy who most dudebros don't even know exists can succeed with the new model, why would famous international hits not benefit from it?

It's pretty much a fact that piracy was the reason manga and anime even took off around the world. Japan just doesn't realize it's the equivalent of a library and free advertising and wants to change the library into a bookstore.

Hell OPM is technically FREE in Japan. Why are they even trying to cry about it?

BD is another story since it's just a massive jewfest no different than Horse Armor DLC.
>>
>>135623395
>The complainers don't even buy comics to begin with

http://io9.gizmodo.com/thor-is-selling-more-comics-as-a-woman-1692608223
>>
>>135623424
Most 2D mecha stuff looks good because it has a small amount of animation most of the time.
>>
>>135623416
Along with killing the rest of your freedom and privacy on the internet. Now go support W10.
>>
>>135623420
>I was referring to the forum, not the article.
They were right. You're laughing at them for "hypocrisy" that Japan shares.

>>135623421
So did Ken Akamatsu.
>>
Should be noted this is only applies to late-night series. Non late-night series mostly relies on merchandise sales or ratings.
>>
>>135622426
How else do you expect people who don't know moon to read manga?
>>
>>135623416
>muh TPP
The only way to stop piracy would be the implementation of a police state on people's computers. I'm sure plenty of people in Hollywood would love to see that happen, but if history has taught us anything, it's that nothing is more dangerous to liberty in the long run then handing over control of the distribution of ideas to the government (or indeed, any singular powerful entity).
>>
>>135623413
>wider audience
It's time for trans mc, with his colored asexual gf, discovering a journey about equality on gender and religions
>>
>>135623424
>The problem is that it's those lowly pandering shows that sell more than the rest, which is why we got like three fucking battle harems in just the last season.
But battle harems flop, senpai
There's actually a big diversity of shows every season.
>>
>>135623329
>Neil Gaimon
Explain further
>>135622536
He's probably only one who has balls to stand against loli ban. Real Hero. He saved us
>>
>>135623385
>Lala doujin
Wow, never thought she would get one.
>>
>>135622353
I don't see a big difference between an anime that doesn't get a second season and a manga that stops being translated halfway through.
>>
>>135623509
>Star Wars VII.png
>>
>>135623503
see >>135623053
>>
>>135623506
>implying that anon remembers anything from history class

Guy only remembers what happened in Cawadooty.
>>
>>135623336
Anon, you are cheery picking. For every original that succeeds, there is probably like 15 or so that flop
>>
Yet Garo S1 which had blurays that sold like shit got a S2
>>
>>135623541
You mean like with adaptations?
>>
>>135623503
The kindle store has like 70 000 different volumes of raw manga just ready to be download at a click of button. What they should do is to hire translators or have a system of voluntary translators that gets a small share of the sales in the new language. That way neither amazon nor the author needs to pay anything at all while you have people translating their work for them.
>>
>>135623416
>Piracy is fucking incredibly easy to stop
How, you smart-ass? No law yet had any significant impact and new ones will certainly not change that.
>>
>>135622890
>steal
They're not losing any money from westerners pirating shit anyway. I don't see your point.
>>
>>135623571
It was planned from the start and probably by the time the sales came it in was too late to stop.
>>
Did anyone out there really try to sell bds for cheap? You would think with series that sold 50 copies they would try to lower the prices just to check.
>>
>>135623506
If they cared enough they'd take down any website hosting illegal content.
>>
>>135623541
The first post was about how an original anime never sells though. One can't say it nevers happens when it did happen.
>>
>>135623509
That would just be the regular otaku audience.
>trap mc
>kuudere love interest
>journey about x that doesn't matter
>>
>>135623101
How well did King of pigs perform?
Also I hope Taiwanese Manhua starts getting animated too, Bowling King is amazing.
>>
>>135623509
I think you're onto something here. Then they can blame the soggy knee shitlords when it doesn't sell and start up patreons for the harassment bux.

Fucking brilliant.
>>
>>135622831
>there's effectively no way to stop people from copying and sharing digital information. The industry needs to wake up and smell the matcha in the morning.
And do what? If people don't want to pay for a product there is no product, the end.
>>
>>135623608
Nah, there are plenty of ways to avoid copyright takedowns unless the owners are stupid.
>>
>>135623583
>not losing money

Because their works have been leeched off for free by them already, right?
>>
>>135623610
>never sells though
>verbalist
B-baka
>>
>>135623648
And those ways usually involve a lot of effort to download from.
>>
>>135621508
>the otaku market

otaku is a general term for geek not just geeks that watch funny big eye cartoons
>>
>>135623506
>The only way to stop piracy would be the implementation of a police state on people's computers
Do you mean Windows? It seems we are already pretty fucking close to the government already having control over most computers. With the way burgerland is going with how stupid your average burger is, it won't be long for actual proper anti-privacy laws get put in place, because your average burger doesn't know any better. History means nothing in the face of stupid, you stupid /b/tard tripnigger
>>
>>135623604
Nana back then sold its first DVD volume at something like 777 Yen. It sold extremely well but the later volumes had far worse sales.
>>
>>135623604
Niche anime shows that have incredibly low pre-orders and are totally flops (like Yoru no Yatterman) are bundled together into BD box collections, and the publishers hope that the people will buy them to make room for the warehouses.
Too many unsold BD volumes staying around too long are such a mark of shame (and still cost money to have them waste place in the warehouses), the companies prefer to throw them away in landfills than trying to sell them for even cheaper.
>>
>>135620669
Nobody in the West would pay those ridiculous prices.
>>
>>135623639
Even with piracy people are willing to pay, piracy just make more about people wanting to support the industry rather than having to buy a product they want. If any entertainment industry ever fully embraced piracy as means of distribution they'd have to change the entire way in which their business is organized.
>>
>>135623658
You can't lose money from having things you were never going to sell pirated, especially since 99% of all the manga that ever got scanlated will never get localized and never had a chance at getting localized in the first place.
>>
File: 1431220264536.jpg (132KB, 357x597px) Image search: [Google]
1431220264536.jpg
132KB, 357x597px
>>135623702
>Yoru no Yatterman
>still no BD rips
Fuck, it was one of my favorite shows this year too. I want to see that fixed last episode already.
>>
>>135622292
Anime is the risk they're taking anon.
>>
>>135623715
Like selling overpriced BDs with physical bonuses? Or do you think anyone buy the BDs for the video content?
>>
>>135623158
Except their attempts are shallow as fuck. I'd be happy to see representation of it was good, and there are plenty of awesome minority writers out there, but the ones the pick aren't necessarily good and are forced to write capeshit. That's why stuff like saga and sex criminals is selling. It's genre diversity we need, not just ethnic diversity.
>>
>>135623608
Money lost to piracy are not easily counted, on the other hand cost of anti-piracy measures can be clearly seen and it's not low. No investor will give unlimited budget to do that. And taking down a whole site costs a lot. Especially when the owner can just get new domain for few dollars.

Anime companies already went trough that and gave up.
>>
>>135623449
>Hyped up new social justice Thor
>Tumblr and reddit go out and buy it because girl power!™
>Eventually the novelty wears off
I've read it. It's ridiculously cringeworthy.
>>
File: 1430941969451.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1430941969451.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>135620669
>the manga that didn't pay a single yen
How terrible that the manga doesn't pay a single yen. It's not like it's doing enough already by providing the source material or anything.
>>
>>135623771
If it's so easy then why do most mainstream websites get stuff removed so often?
>>
>>135623608
Dude, take a look around at all the copyright infringement that goes on in this very site. Also, there is this thing called the dark web, and it doesn't really give a rodent's rear end about DMCA notices and fancy lawyers in suits.
>>135623639
If people are unwilling to pay money for content, then it will die and there's nothing that can be done to stop that. OTOH, if the issue is merely the *way* in which shit gets paid for, then perhaps a Kickstarter-like model might be the solution. It's tough to tell right now one way or the other.
>>
>>135623729
>You can't lose money from having things you were never going to sell pirated

They're not supposed to be available to you in the first place.
Piracy is not Sharing. It can hardly be called "sharing" when the person giving isn't losing anything. Sharing implies division of a resource, product, etc. The end result of sharing is that you end up with less of the original. That is not the case with piracy.
Copyright holders are not against true sharing. Go ahead and give your CD to a friend to borrow. It only becomes wrong if you were create another copy of that CD before giving it away. In that case, you just artificially increased the supply of the product.
More supply = less value
You have to be lying if you say decreasing the value of a product created for the purpose of profit is not a bad thing. That is exactly what piracy does.
>>
If otaku buy so much shit why don't advertisers pay enough to reach "the otaku audience" by airing ads during anime?
>>
>>135621659
>they could always actively try and make more money out of the international audiences

but they weren't making more money with international audiences
>>
>>135623818
If it's so easy to stop piracy why can I download pretty much anything after a google search?
>>
>>135620669
>book gets adapted into a movie
>movie becomes popular
>copies of the book start topping charts and flying off the shelves
>people still buy the DVD/bluray upon release

Maybe they should start making more anime movies instead of TV shows.
>>
>>135623739
Soon.
>>
>>135623798
>thor is a girl
>enemy is also a girl
>beat each other up
that's kinda hot
>>
File: eva 01.jpg (39KB, 570x415px) Image search: [Google]
eva 01.jpg
39KB, 570x415px
>>135620669

>tfw couldnt afford a truckload of Watamote BDs so we could get a SE 2

The entire reason the BDs dont sell is because they're too expensive.
Even in Japan they still cost a fucking retarded amount of money.
And overseas everyone just torrents because the BDs dont come out for MONTHS after the anime airs and we've all seen it and it's STILL TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE.

>$80 for a disc
Give me a fucking break.
>>
>>135623859
You don't want them to do that, otherwise we will have to wait years for subs of these movies
>>
>>135623658
Most people who pirate wither do so because the product is not readily available to them or because they never intended to purchase the product legally in the first place. The only people you are losing revenue from is the first group, and that's the fault of the company for not making their product readily available to the consumer, not the consumers for being unwilling to buy. Remember that as a consumer, no one is under any obligation to buy anything.
>>
>>135620669
Anime BDs don't sell because they're overpriced. It's as simple as that.

$180 worth of Prison School BDs = $5 of the manga. What a fucking joke.
>>
>>135623487
>So did Ken Akamatsu.
while I enjoy his spiritited defense of manga and even loli the ending to negima left me not wanting to do with anything else from him.
>>
>>135620669
So
Mondaiji-tachi season 2 when?
>>
>>135620669
Well no fucking wonder! Who the fuck even has a Blu-ray player or even a DVD player for that matter anymore. The way to make money with anime is trough streaming and DDL. But it needs to be subscription based, nobody is going to pay 5$ per episode or 30$ per movie. I think the anime industry is somewhat progressive in that perspective, but only streaming isn't enough. We want that stuff downloadable and in the best quality possible (which still isn't the case with streaming services).
>>
>>135623880
Lowering the price doesn't help senpai
>>
>>135623828
Remember though that if prices go down demand also goes up so what's actually the case is that there's somehow a need to balance supply and demand.

Then again, it could also be argued that supply and demand (and copyright itself) are rather outdated concepts in the digital age.

>>135623832
They do air ads in commercial breaks with late night shows.
>>
>>135623828
>Copyright holders are not against true sharing.
Didn't console companies try to limit borrowing and reselling games already?
>>
>>135623819
You are implying most people even know they are fucking the industry by doing what they do. For example, ask any kid if they know using AdBlock fucks the revenue of websites or youtube users and they will be surprised.

Furthermore, most people don't even know what they want, kickstart models fail because most people who consume media don't know what they will like until they are eating it.

I don't think its a piracy problem, its a generational problem, millennials think everything fall from the tree and that content creators should do it out of love.
>>
>>135623832
Because otaku aren't as many as the mainstream audience.

Their value is from their willingness to buy expensive shit, not their numbers.
>>
>>135623859
>movie
You do know how much those costs right, anon? That's a huge risk to take
>>
>>135623897
>not available to them

Not a fucking excuse.
>>
>>135623761
The anime industry was selling overpriced BD's/DVD's long before piracy was a huge thing. They do that because anime is a niche product, not because people are pirating anime.
>>
>>135621819

You are a retard, you cancerous tripfag.
>>
>>135623818
What mainsteam? Mangafox certainly doesn't give a fuck as much as it should have. Batoto is bunch of retards from day-one.

Anyway all of these sites are still up. If I remember correctly only two big online readers ever went down due to DMCA. You still have dozens hosted in china and that's still not counting Japanese P2P networks.
>>
>>135623914
>Remember though that if prices go down demand also goes up

Didn't you just post >>135623698?

Contradictory statements much?
>>
>>135623926
Yes, Microsoft wanted to do it with Xbox One, but public reaction was extremely bad. Sony was praised for just keeping the status quo. Although some background information said Sony wanted to do it too, but quickly backed away after MS got hated.
>>
>>135623808
What are you on about? If you make an advertisement campaign for any product you expect to have a share of the newfound profit the original will get. Its fucking dumb that the anime company doesn't get a share of the bump in sales it gives to the manga.
>>
>>135623946
We're seeing more movie releases of anime shows in the last year or two though. I think the industry noticed nerds were willing to go watch a movie several times as long as you added some trinket or special shit.
>>
>>135623832
First, I think it was already made, like with Pizza Hut appearing in some anime.
Then, consider that in a 120million of people country, 100K, or even 10K people hardly matter.
>>
>>135623952
Way to ignore the entire point of the post.
>>
>>135623828
The difference is that in Japan's case, the local anti-piracy laws are strict enough that piracy is not prevalent there. Even if the supply increases and the overall value changes, that won't affect their main market because it's cut off from piracy in the west.

Moreover, the market value of most of these products is horrible from a business perspective. Instead of bitching about piracy and trying to sell blatantly overpriced products it'd be smarter to abuse the prevalence of piracy to enter the digital distribution market and make up for the loss in value with increased sales. The only reason copyright holders bitch about losing money is because they are too fucking lazy to try and profit from the situation.
>>
>>135623906
>the ending to negima left me not wanting to do with anything else from him.
Can you really blame him? Half of Negima, chances are, wasn't even written by him. After he escaped the company with his IP, he probably just straight up had enough of the series and just let it go. But he liked it's universe and had things he still wanted to do with it, so he did UQ

Blame the jews trying to steal his Ip, not him
>>
>>135623926
Microsoft tried that and see how that turned out. Nintendo is the only company that still uses region locking (not surprising given that they invented it) and while correlation does not necessarily mean causation, the Wii U's sales are pretty crap compared to the PS4 which had rather liberal (compared to the Xbox One's original plan) sharing policies from the star.

>>135623952
So how do you want to get your stuff them if it's not legally available?

>>135623982
This was a different kind of answers.
>>
>>135623926
>Didn't console companies try to limit borrowing and reselling games already?

They were definitely forced into allowing true sharing, but they definitely don't want to be forced into making manga and anime for absolutely free by the way pirates work.

Or have pirates pirate their work and profit out of it, as in the case with the torrent sharing scene.

No excuse.
>>
>>135620669
>charge 6 billion dollars for 2 episodes per disc
>be surprised when the discs don't sell as well as LN and manga, both of which are dirt cheap in Japan

Someone explain to me the logic behind this pricing strategy. And also why anime in the West costs a fraction of this.
>>
>>135620669

I fucking thought /a/ knew this already?
>>
>>135624007
You have pirates blaming the company for piracy. I'm not even going to address such idiocy.
>>
>>135623976
I was mainly talking about Batoto, the only site I've found that doesn't delete stuff is Kissmanga, most of their stuff have horrible compression even on the most popular titles though.
>>
>>135624000
Movies still cost a lot to make anon. There is nothing to ensure they will sell well and for most studios, something like a movie flopping could easily put them under. There is a lot of risks to make movies
>>
>>135624058
The increase in individual sales doesn't offset the profit loss.
>>
Why is everyone acting like this is surprising?
It's not even the real reason. You see a lot of anime getting subpar sales getting S2/3, while the opposite exist, anime selling 20k yet have no sequel (looking at you Studio8, motherfuckers)
>>
>>135624048
>This was a different kind of answers.
>a different kind of answers
>a
>answers

Your fob is showing.
>>
>>135623449
>gizmodo
>>
>>135624023
I always felt that whatever happened it was excuse for him to end Negima cause he didn't felt like writing more. He did UQ but it couldn't stand on its own so in the end he had to add all the connections to Negima.
>>
>>135624016
>The only reason copyright holders bitch about losing money is because they are too fucking lazy to try and profit from the situation.
Not lazy, but mostly ignorant. Especially Japs. Point in case - iPhones. No mobile company believed it would sell before it gave them assfucking they will remember for long time.
>>
>>135623914
>They do air ads in commercial breaks with late night shows.
Yes but why don't they get enough money to fund the shows with it.
>>
>>135624048
>So how do you want to get your stuff them if it's not legally available?
>stuff that aren't legally available should be taken illegally

That's how criminals think. Sasuga retarded backwater fob flipfag.
>>
>>135623913

Well it cant hurt either.
And the release dates kill sales too.
By the time it's out on BD, everyone, worldwide, had torrented the show and watched it twice.

Compare that to movie sales in America.
BDs come out fairly quickly after a movie isnt in theaters anymore, and they dont cost your first born to own.
>>
File: 654542432434242.jpg (55KB, 531x603px) Image search: [Google]
654542432434242.jpg
55KB, 531x603px
>>135623880
>GoT box on amazon jp costs ~12k (¥ 9,800 right now)
>Overlord ONE BD costs ¥ 5,594
>F/Z, UBW box ¥ 37,000
Topkek
>>
>>135624058
It's Japanese tradition to sell bds for billion yen and its shamefur dispray to go against it.
>>
What anime needs is to become socially acceptable in Japan. That is the only solution. You must get salarymen to watch it
>>
Does the impotent whining itt stem from the fact that you're not in control?
>>
>>135624076
This thread is a general reminder for oldfags who forgot about it, oldfags who never learned about it, and newfags who try to earnestly understand it.
>>
>>135624079
When the only option is for people to steal or to not consume the product, that's the companies fault for not making their product available to a demographic that obviously wants it, this is literally basic economics, sorry if you're too retarded to understand that.
>>
>>135623693
Judging by how assblasted you are about America, I take it that your visa application was denied.
>>135623914
Supply and demand are concepts intrinsic to market capitalism. That information has an infinite supply just throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing, but since capitalism isn't going anywhere any time soon, we have to live with that.
>>135623926
I'm sure. Anything they can do to make a buck at other people's expense.
>>135623928
If were talking about second seasons, then a Kickstarter model seems perfectly applicable, since people already know what the show is about.
Also
>generational problem
What are you, that 40-something geezer from the confession thread?

Seriously though, artists often *do* do it out of love, ars gratis ars as MGM likes to say, but they still need to pay their bills at the end of the day. That disconnect between the production and the commoditization is much of why we're having a problem in the first place.
>>
>>135624079
Because the company's products were too expensive to begin with? Piracy's problematic, but so is their business model. Perhaps if their products were more accessible then less people would resort to pirating. Personally there are a lot of things I would love to buy legally, it's that in many cases they don't even want to sell legally to foreigners or they make it ridiculously difficult (Japanese iTunes is a good example of this).

>>135624112
It's past midnight where I live so I guess my thinking is starting to become problematic.
>>
>>135624154
Except piracy of something not legally available is objectively a good thing for the creators you retard.
>>
>>135624048
>This was a different kind of answers.

Your post in >>135623698 shows that while letting the price go down to make demand go up isn't sustainable in the least.

Get your shit together.
>>
>>135624053
Well, at least you can admit that much even though you're a shill.
>>
>>135624089
As I said, Batoto is bunch of retards. The shit they allowed scan groups to do in its early days was prime example why you should never give any attention to scanlators.
>>
>>135624058
It's a marketing strategy

just like a whale in mobage
>>
>>135624192
>It's past midnight where I live so I guess my thinking is starting to become problematic.

Go to sleep, fob.
>>
>>135624089
It's also quite shit at being tidy, some releases are all ove the place, and it's not really nice to use.
But eh, that's to expect from a viwing site.
It's only advantage is the whole chapter being veiwed at once, reducing the time inbetween pages
>>
>>135624098
I know that, but it will be a growing trend to make more movie releases of strong brands of anime. Out of the top 20 grossing films in Japan 2015, 7 of them were anime, with an additional like 3 being live action adaptation of manga, and still like 5 more of them being western animated movies. Animation sells in Japanese cinemas.
>>
>>135624195
>Except piracy of something not legally available is objectively a good thing for the creators you retard.

See: >>135622890

Stop this meme. It's worse than Keit-Ai. Why would creators think they'd profit off leeches who wouldn't buy their shit even when it became available in their shores anyway?
>>
>>135624251
This is all because of the muh recession
>>
>>135621183
Not for the shit series she worked on. Worked for plenty of others though
>>
>>135624192
>Because the company's products were too expensive to begin with? Piracy's problematic, but so is their business model

Neither justifies the other.
>>
>>135624168
They don't have the time for that. They do however have the time to perhaps read the manga or read a magazine on the way to work or back to home, if they're not being forced to participate in those social hangouts with their co-workers (that's really a thing in many companies). Then, they're just too tired and want to go to sleep.

Still, there are a lot of sararymen who do watch anime. They rent them, or actually do use legal streaming services.
>>
>>135620669
Does she say how many units it must sell to be considered profitable?
>>
>>135620669
I read somewhere that anime is just like long-ass advertisement.
Basically, the studio need to pay the cheapest slot (which is usually midnight) in certain TV channel just to airs their series.
Also, about 50% of a series budget is allocated for this slot.
>>
>>135624279
If I were a creator I'd be happy that so many people had viewed and enjoyed my work even if they did pirate, if they can't get it legally then them pirating it and viewing it increases the chances of them becoming a fan and buying my future works.
>>
>>135624058
Making anime is a lot more expensive than making manga, and BD's naturally sell less than print. They don't sell it for that much because they want to, it's the best price they can put on it in order to still maintain a profit, and even then it doesn't work most of the time. Anime BD's should honestly cost a lot more for how much they sell in order to make any kind of profit, but the demand just isn't there.
>>
>>135624279
>profit off leeches who wouldn't buy their shit even when it became available in their shores anyway?
How do you prove whether they'd buy or not?
Most people are unable to think of piracy as anything beyond actual stealing, which is complete bullshit. Apologies and feeling bad about this means nothing.
>>
>>135623880
>a disc
BDs are full of merch too.
>>
>>135624158

America just doesnt give a fuck.
>>
>>135624317
Such an analysis ignores the fact that one /causes/ the other. Poverty doesn't justify robbery and murder, but it sure as hell goes a long way towards explaining why it happens.
>>
>>135624317
Precisely. My point was they both need fixing.

>>135624343
I don't think so, but I read elsewhere that usually anything which sells more than 5000 units is usually profitable, while those which sell less than that could still be profitable if you take into account merchandise sales and source material boosts (if applicable0
>>
>>135624351
>If I were a creator I'd be happy that so many people had viewed and enjoyed my work even if they did pirate

Confirmed for not creator.
>>
>>135624354
Movies and live action shows, in Japan or outside of it, don't have this problem tho. And generally they cost more than anime.
>>
>>135624279
>Why would creators think they'd profit off leeches who wouldn't buy their shit even when it became available in their shores anyway?
Because it's been proven in the past that even if most won't buy shit, the amount of people who will is still decent enough that the net profit will eclipse the extremely meager costs.
>>
>>135623880
>poorfags
Give me a fucking break
>>
>>135624356
>How do you prove whether they'd buy or not?

Love Hina.
>>
>>135623019
>Korea is surpassing them
I hear the plastic business is thriving.
>>
>>135624346
nowadays, it IS just a long ass advertisement of a source material. hence why don't see some original content that isn't pandering nowadays.
>>
>>135624392
Go find fredrin on Twitch and ask him then. He's streaming right now. Go ahead, I'll wait.
>>
>>135624419
>the amount of people who will is still decent enough that the net profit will eclipse the extremely meager costs.

I sure hope you're not using the "piracy is free advertising" meme.
>>
>>135624413
They cost more but their market is also much larger so the possible returns are also much larger.
>>
Japanese animation studios are glorified advertisement agencies for IP holders.

The only ones who know how to make money are Sunrise and Shaft.
>>
>>135620669
That means she's a bad producer. This is to be expected and she should get the manga publisher shell out as well. Duh.
>>
>>135624279
Both Neil Gaiman and Ken Akamatsu have put their products up on piracy websites and seen corresponding increases in revenue from it, because it increases exposure. Lots of indie music bands do the same thing as well with great results. Just because Japs don't like piracy doesn't mean it's suddenly ineffective as an advertising medium, you've provided literally zero evidence to contradict that.
>>
>>135624365

Cant you buy them without the merch?
If you cant then they're fucking up hard.
>>
>>135624392
>Confirmed for not creator.
There are several doujin VN creators, LN writers and mangakas who have gone out of their way to state that they don't mind piracy in the west because they're happy someone actually genuinely gives a shit about their works.
Heck, there are some translation projects that were started with the explicit agreement of the creators.
>>
>>135624467
I hope you're not using the "If they couldn't pirate it they would have bought it" meme
>>
>>135624390
Their business model works fine. It's the piracy that ruins it.

>>135624465
The fuck does this have to do with piracy of anime and manga?
>>
The real question is why would people buy the BDs if they already watched the TV broadcast and the show was mediocre.
>>
>>135624421

Most people are poorfags.
Most people dont want to drop $400 on a series they already torrented.
>>
>>135624509
[Citation Needed]
>>
>>135624543
>Their business model works fine. It's the piracy that ruins it.
You are clearly fucking retarded
>>
>>135624543
He's a content creator, author and illustrator of Megatokyo. If you want the opinion of an actual artist who's currently available for discussion and actually speaks English, he's perfect.
>>
>>135624541
I'm not, though. Doesn't change the fact that piracy hurts more than it helps.

Internet piracy is not as bad as stealing something physical, such as a CD or DVD, as no one lost money from the physical creation of the item, but, it is still theft, and still bad.

While it may not be physical, the parallels are unquestionable. In both situations you are getting something for free that has cost others lots of time, money and effort to build. Films especially cost huge amounts to make, often hundreds of millions of dollars, in exactly the same way to how it costs someone to create a handbag or a car.
>>
File: 1411112746973.gif (260KB, 266x207px) Image search: [Google]
1411112746973.gif
260KB, 266x207px
>>135624543
>Their business model works fine.
When you've got Manglobe going under and Gonzo and AIC nearly doing so as well then "works fine" is inaccurate on so many levels.

>>135624585
ZUN?
>>
If you're talking about anime budget, don't forget the leaked budget of BB.

http://bakudon.net/news/2008/02/27/financials-heaven-hell-reality-three-looks-at-the-business-of-animation-production-part-3-an-examination-of-the-production-costs-of-bamboo-blade
>>
>>135624467
Localization in general is pretty cheap and easy as long as you have someone who is willing to distribute the product or use digital distribution. It could be made even cheaper if the copyright holders just negotiated with scanlators to use their translations. No matter how you looks at it, it's cheap profit.
>>
>>135624604
>He's a content creator, author and illustrator of Megatokyo

A pro-piracy webcomic gaijin creator has no say on how Japan should go about its business.
>>
>>135624392
>Now, you may not be fluent in Japanese. That's Okay. Most of my work has already been pirated, translated, and uploaded online. You may have seen some of it. That's cool, I hope you liked what you saw.
Source: ShindoL's patreon.
Now what?
>>
>>135624611
>I'm not, though. Doesn't change the fact that piracy hurts more than it helps.
Got any evidence for that?
>>
>>135624622
>ZUN
>VN Creator
>LN Creator
>Mangaka

Flips in charge of making sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (24KB, 470x454px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24KB, 470x454px
Then how the fuck did stuff like D.Gray-Man and Berserk get a new anime adaptation? Especially the former where it's been 7 years since the original anime ended. What's the incentive?
>>
>>135624504
No. It takes too much space away and is a big organizational problem to have a high-quality version with bonus goodies (BD+merch), a lower-quality version with bonus goodies (DVD+merch), a high-quality version without bonus goodies (BD only), and a low-quality version without bonus goodies (DVD only). It does sometimes happen, but most companies would rather not deal with such a hassle.

Still, volume versions that are BD and/or DVD only do get sold much later after the versions with the merchandise, if there are still rest stocks available (but not in too huge numbers), the show was somewhat popular enough, and they are generally bundled together in box collections.
>>
>>135624611
Piracy is extremely prevalent elsewhere but that didn't stop films like Star Wars or Jurrasic World to earn more than 1 billion dollars. It's not so much piracy as to flaws in their business models as well. If the industry suffers due to piracy, they need to adapt. There's a saying in my college: "develop or decay", and sadly the anime industry is in the decay side of things.
>>
>>135624685
He is though?
Zun has written LN and manga.
>>
>>135624664
That sounds more like resignated defeat rather than welcoming piracy as a means for advertising his content.
>>
>>135624467
Worked for Sekai Project with Grisaia as no one would have bothered with their kickstarter it if it wasn't translated before hand.
>>
>>135624604
this guy's art is terrible
>>
>>135624170
Of course. The whining about prices is just to justify their choice to not support the industry. But even if the prices were lower, /a/ will always choose to support Funimation, SP, Jew Press etc regardless of the alternative.
Hell just look at kikestarters. One moment they whine about BD prices, the next they throw hundreds of dollars at projects to localize already translated VNs.
>>
>>135624654
If you can find an English-speaking nihonjin mangaka available for comment right now, then say so.

Also, where do you get that he's pro-piracy?
>>
>>135622415
Because the anime ended almost 3 years ago and the core fanbase is currently hyped on something else (but still buy SnK related products). The number of doujins should rise with S2.
>>
>>135624543
No it fucking doesn't. Piracy hardly exists in Japan, which is the only market that genuinely matters to Japan. Just because you remove piracy doesn't mean that the west would suddenly start buying BDs. The presence of piracy of anime is theoretically harmful, but negligible in practice.
>>
>>135624706
>that didn't stop films like Star Wars or Jurrasic (sic) World to earn more than 1 billion dollars

It would've earned more without it. It certainly didn't gain more from the rampant piracy.

The ones who profited from the piracy are the pirates.
>>
>>135624753
>Also, where do you get that he's pro-piracy?
I presumed since you're the one suggesting I go to his shitty stream.
>>
>>135620669
>abloobloo I'm so shit at my job I chose to adapt series that obviously wouldn't sell.

>>135623990
and they don't deserve it. The project is usually funded by the publisher/IP holder to boost the sales/awareness of the source material. Anime studios are just jews, if they want some kickback they should have made the adaptation better.
>>
>>135624392
Fukumoto sure as hell is fully aware that people outside of Japan know him through fan translations, and he appeared in a convention in yurope.
>>
>>135624763
>Just because you remove piracy doesn't mean that the west would suddenly start buying BDs

There'd be no leeching though. A la the good ol' days before fansubbing and rampant importation.
>>
File: 1368347368787.gif (436KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
1368347368787.gif
436KB, 316x316px
>>135624771
>It would've earned more without it.
Argument would have made sense if we're talking about home video. But this is cinema were talking about.
>>
>>135623001
Written and drawn by Detroit Metal City's author. DMC became very popular in japan thanks to its live action movie.
>>
>>135624687
because manga publishers figured out that anime is a cheaper alternative advertising method
>>
>>135624829
We would just go back to lending copies to people for the weekend etc.
>>
>>135624763
>Piracy hardly exists in Japan
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>135624543
That's a sign of a failing business model. People who don't pay are not going to pay even if authorities punish 100% of the pirates. They would just not download it anymore, not buy it instead. If you can't make a good ROI from people who want to buy your product, you're business isn't financially sound.
>>
>>135624392
Pretty sure R07 gave his OK for both Higurashi and Umineko.
>>
>>135624799
You are fucking retarded. At first you start argument that no creator is happy that his work is pirated and then you presume the one you got pointed to is pro-piracy without even having a clue about his opinion?
>>
>>135624722
Nice deflection.
>>
>>135624836
If piracy wasn't an option, more people would've watched.

>>135624870
They had anti-piracy measures built into tech back then. That's why you can't copy VHS tapes for too long.
A la Gone with the Wind, wherein digital piracy didn't exist back then.
>>
>>135624763
>piracy hardly exists in japan
then why is nyaa ranked #31 there?
>>
>>135624763
A large number of Japanese IP addresses in my client's window suggests otherwise
>>135624771
>Would have earned more without it
This meme again? Look, what anti-piracy efforts do in effect is add a time and convienence cost to piracy. People will buy the genuine article if it retails for less than this invisible cost. But since anti-piracy measures cost money too, there exists an eqilibrium point. The people who would never have bought the original at *any* price aren't part of the market anyway, so they don't change the realizeable profits.
>>
>>135624763
You should download stuff from nyaa and look at the IPs at some point.
>>
>>135624892
see >>135624722

"Shikataganai" is not support for piracy, it's a helpless acknowledgement of defeat.
>>
File: halo-3-bundle-packs.jpg (418KB, 1361x850px) Image search: [Google]
halo-3-bundle-packs.jpg
418KB, 1361x850px
>>135624704

US video games do that shit all the time, though.
You could just buy the game, buy the game and some goodies, or just prove to your peers that you're batshit insane.
>>
>>135624763
Elevens are not magical lemmings.
>>
>>135624915
>Look, what anti-piracy efforts do in effect is add a time and convienence cost to piracy.

And a means for people to get a product for free without paying for it and a means for pirates to make money out of the hard work of others.
>>
>>135621790
Seriously if she's that butthurt she should make something original instead of trying to bank on someone else's work. That way no one profits
>>
>>135624943
>translating VNs
>equivalent to translating doujins
If R07 refused, that'd be the end of it and it'd take years before someone else'd bother to handle the translation.
>>
If anime was the way it used to be then the artist wouldn't be out to make the big bucks. They would be doing it because it is what they feel inside. And that they just want their anime to be seen and heard.

Yes, I understand that the TV companies want to make money so piracy is "bad" but in my opinion people are just doing what they feel is right.
>>
>>135624687
What peoples don't seem to get is that the industry is small as fuck and everyone know each others and like or dislike each other, it's a matter of relations.
Why Bones shows are always well animated? Why OPM was well animated? Why Oshii's or Kon's stuff had budget and shit? Why random new anime like Grey Man and Berserk suddenly get made out of nowhere?
It's all because there's this creator who's friend with this producer and asked nicely.
It's barely a matter of money a lot of time. One Punch Man was well animated basically because it's director worked with Watanabe on Space Dandy, and Watanabe is still well respected in the industry somehow and good animators want to work with him and his new friend. That's the ONLY reason.
Same for old anime surfacing again or random S2s suddenly appearing, someone probably wanted to do it and smooth talked his way to get the budget even if it doesn't make much sense commercially.

And I hate this.
>>
>>135624977
>pirates to make money out of the hard work of others.
Only niggers who use shitty direct download methods and the fucking faggot Chinese who never release the raws and I hope they all burn in hell do that.
>>
>>135624912
Prove it. I personally know people who pirate but will also buy the real thing if they got the chance. Some even bought things which they originally pirated (me included).

>>135624977
So what do you suggest then? Do you want to maintain the status quo?
>>
>>135624625
>13 million yen

So it's around $100.000 for 26 episodes? Half that for 13 episodes?
>>
>>135625022
>translating VNs

I fail to see how piracy has anything to do with that.
>>
>>135625070
More or less. Welcome to Japan.
>>
>>135624894
Now that I think of it, that's some seriously trippy "no true scotsman" shit right there.

Also, noticed still no one in chat has asked him the question.
>>
>>135625066
>So what do you suggest then?

The RIAA and agencies like it are already on it.
>>
>>135625086
Because the lack of translation minimizes piracy.
>>
>>135625100
How nice, with my savings I could finance two 13-episode shows.
>>
>>135624894
No one would even pirate Piro's shitty artwork in Japan.
>>
>>135625118
I mean, alternative ways of getting/buying products. Because it seems you're for maintaining the status quo as opposed to proposing/promoting alternative/emerging methods such as legal streams.
>>
File: the-ravages-of-time.jpg (312KB, 1200x925px) Image search: [Google]
the-ravages-of-time.jpg
312KB, 1200x925px
the question is when will Chinese Manwha dominate the market ? Our Asian lords of crony capitalism give no fucks
>>
>>135625147
Fund a well animated H-Ova with all of your favorite fetishes instead
>>
>>135625121
You seem to be confused.

>>135625161
>I mean, alternative ways of getting/buying products.

Importation and localization. Piracy is a one-way street as far as benefits go.
>>
File: image.png (85KB, 454x1179px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
85KB, 454x1179px
>>135625118
Those clowns who've been thrashing around for years accomplishing absolutely nothing (save for pissing a lot of people off)?
>>
>>135625121
Pretty sure it's the opposite. They get pirated precisely because there tends to be no official export release, translated or otherwise. If translations existed from the start, while pirates would still exist, their influence would be less as there will always be the segment which will buy it legally.

>>135625187
>localization
This.
>>
>>135625190
>absolutely nothing

YouTube and DMCA says otherwise. PirateBay people are getting sued as well. Also, what's Napster?
>>
>>135625170

>5 years chink and gook manwha now dominates the market.
>chinks create self insert MC's and try hard to be as "original" as they can.
>if doesn't sell well, plagiarize popular series.
>chinks ignore because they don't give a shit.
>meanwhile gooks are milder chinks but with shittier artwork.
>>
>>135625157
I don't care. Just read his post. He argues about what creators don't do and the first thing he assumes about an example creator is the opposite?

He's retarded because he posts as if he's trying to discredit his own argument.
>>
This is fucking bullshit, all those who are saying that OPM won't get an S2 are fear mongering; it obviously will
And also, they actually should treat anime like they do for video games and visual novels; just making a anime to boost sales of the manga is fucking ridiculous; it's not like they exclusively made GoT just so the books will sell fucking better; even if they were picture books
Also, the otaku and fujo pandering has to fucking stop
Japan needs to get their shit together and I might actually consider buying their shit
>>
>>135625220
All of which has accomplished nothing except pushing the pirates to use other methods. Meanwhile, filesharing has exploded in popularity.
>>
>>135624497
>Both Neil Gaiman and Ken Akamatsu have put their products up on piracy websites

For every artist that consents to it, thousands more do not and they should have the right to not consent to it rather than be forced by their own consumers and the leechers that make their works available to them for free to do so.
>>
>>135625170
>dominate the market
What market?

Japan won't buy it because of insane xenophobia, same reason when Korean products fail in Japan.
>>
>>135625206
I mean fan translations. While untranslated VNs still get pirated, a fan translation instantly makes it available to an audience that's dozens times greater than otherwise.
>>
>>135625157
His art actually sells rather well there.
>>
>>135625289
You work for a company involved in this do you?
>>
>>135625280
>All of which has accomplished nothing except pushing the pirates to use other methods

Piracy has always existed even before the Internet. That's why tapes wear down and CDs have a terrible shelf life (forced obsolescence).

That doesn't mean they're not accomplishing anything. The fact that pirates have to look for other avenues shows that the lockdown is working.
>>
>>135625220
Who cares when there are countless alternatives?
>>
>>135625303
What about K-pop?
>>
>>135625220
You have no clue what you're talking about. Maybe you should look at the million other sites for filesharing that have popped up.
>>
>>135625289
>thousands more do not
Mostly because most of them have no idea anyone actually reads their stuff outside of Japan.
>>
>>135625312
>sells well

It doesn't even constitute a major blip there and majority of the Japanese don't even know it exists.

RWBY is more famous than Piro's shitty Key VN ripoff. His webcomic hasn't been relevant since Largo left as well.
>>
>>135625260

>>>/v/

> just making a anime to boost sales of the manga is fucking ridiculous

that's what they're made for in the first place, you can thank tezuka for that shit.

>Japan needs to go together and get their shit together.

you're on a mandarin woodcarving board, as if discussing this would be any of help to the industry anyways

unless some brave /a/non did convince japan to get their shit together, it would be a fine sight indeed
>>
>>135625346
Despite what the police seem to think, one doesn't accomplish anything by taking one drug dealer off the street if a new one just crops up one block over the next day. If it were actually making piracy more difficult, then it would be getting somewhere, but so far that isn't the case.
>>
>>135625289
>rather than be forced by their own consumers
Confirmed for having no business acumen, you either give customers what they want or you don't make money. Since we did we start living in a magical world where consumers are obligated to pay for products?
>>
>>135625346
>The fact that pirates have to look for other avenues shows that the lockdown is working.
It really isn't. For every avenue they block a dozen more pop up. It's a fruitless effort and a huge waste of money that could be much better spent.
>>
>>135625303
The target audience is slightly different. New generation are not opposed to current international trends and often seek them out. Current technology gadgets are one of the best examples of that.
>>
>>135625382
Have you already forgotten the Japanese raw providers arrested for getting raws on the net?

Or the loads of Japanese pirates who download off of Nyaa?
>>
>>135620669
>Be advertisement company
>Wahh why is the product we advertised selling so well and we don't get any of the profits
>>
>>135624954
The US video game industry is of a magnitude much larger than the Japanese cartoon industry, with an extremely larger amount of consumers worldwide.
>>
>>135625376
You mean Megaupload? Or how about Animetake?
>>
>>135625419
>you either give customers what they want or you don't make money
>customers want to get your shit for free
>???
>profit?

In this case, giving the consumers what they want means you don't make money.
>>
>>135625394
This isn't >>>/co/ . You complained that I wasn't a content creator. That being true, I gave you the opportunity to talk with someone who is. When you make broad generalizations, you open yourself up to being proven wrong by way of counterexample.
>>
>>135625449
Japanese pirates know. Not the authors. There was a recent case of Eiji Mikage being baffled at how popular his works were in the West.
>>
>>135625414
You're suggesting they should just let drug dealers go rampant since another is going to pop up the next day?

>>135625518
>You complained that I wasn't a content creator.

And I'm still right.
>>
>>135625506
You are literally retarded.
>>
>>135625406
What? I just stated the fucking truth
Video games have quite a high production value over anime
>>
>>135625506
Then don't go into that business, business without customers deserve to fail. If a business can't find a way to compete with free why should they get a free ride? Lot of other industries compete with free and do just fine, look at bottled water for example.
>>
>>135625506
>In this case, giving the consumers what they want means you don't make money.
So by your logic you don't want creator's content to be obtained (legally or otherwise)?

There's two ways to solve this:
1. Make your stuff more accessible (doesn't necessarily mean for free, just means it's easier to get the product)
2. Pandering (i.e. making your product more appealing so that people will buy it)
Japan needs more of the former instead of the latter. Develop or decay.
>>
>>135625220
Are you for real?
>>
>>135625523
You're missing my point. Western piracy of this material leads to easier Japanese piracy (which isn't tolerated at all).

That's a detriment to piracy right there.

>>135625549
I'm not the one claiming that piracy is justifiable because it advertises the work of an author.
>>
>>135625506
Do you actually know anything about business or are you just bitching about shit because you want to show your moral superiority?
>>
>>135625479
or the other million sites that aren't in the crosshairs
>>
>>135625523
>Waah they are reading muh books for free
Then how the hell are library's even operating in this day and age
>>
>>135625536
I'm suggesting that our drug policy is broken and arresting street-level dealers does nothing to fix that. In fact, I'm not suggesting; I'm telling you that's the case.

Yes, you are right, which is why since I can't bring personal experience into the discussion, I can bring in someone else who can.
>>
>>135625536
Using the drug dealer analogy, it's said that poverty is one of the main causes of drug abuse. If you eliminate or at least reduce poverty, you can also reduce drug abuse. By the same logic, some form of reform is needed in order to solve the piracy problem. Takedowns can only go so far.
>>
>>135625564
Leechers aren't really "customers" per se.
>>
>>135625551

see
>you're on a mandarin woodcarving board, as if discussing this would be any of help to the industry anyways

i'm not trying to refute what you said on that post. and it's best to leave video games out of this thread as it just might lead to a horde of crossboarders.
>>
>>135625173
I don't think anyone else would like my fetish.
>>
>>135625596
Any site that becomes too big are in their crosshairs, without fail.
>>
File: 1436722848006.jpg (15KB, 295x342px) Image search: [Google]
1436722848006.jpg
15KB, 295x342px
>>135625220
>Also, what's Napster?

I want the underage to leave
>>
>>135625591
>You're missing my point. Western piracy of this material leads to easier Japanese piracy (which isn't tolerated at all).
What does that have to do with authors giving their consent or not? The author themselves generally don't mind shit getting pirated, the publishers do.
>>
>>135625634
Yes, because as we all know, only poor people use drugs.
>>
>>135625639
Never said they were. What is your obsession with "leechers"?
>>
>>135625677
That's why new sites keeping popping up.
>>
>>135625686
>underage
>knowing Napster

Are you reading your post aloud before you submit it?
>>
>>135625652
Dude, this is 4chan, I'm sure there's a whole boatload of people who do:
>>135625677
Then you just end up with a swarm of little sites, or you bulletproof them the way TPB has done by being hosted in a country that won'y cooperate with copyright laws.
>>
>>135625697
>The author themselves generally don't mind shit getting pirated, the publishers do.
Technically not a an author but instead a singer, but singer Prince is notoriously stingy when it comes to that kind of thing. He even got an "award" from the EFF because of his antics.

>>135625712
I never said eliminate drug abuse, I said reduce. Not everyone who uses drugs are poor but a large portion are, particularly in developing countries.
>>
This thread is absolutely pathetic
>>
>>135625652

ever visited /d/ or stuck with /a/ long enough?
>>
>>135625697
You're implying that all authors give their consent to western piracy while at the same time glossing over the fact that western piracy allows for easier Japanese piracy as well.

If authors truly approved of piracy, those pirates wouldn't be in jail by now.
>>
>>135625712
His point is that you cure a a disease not by dealing with the symptoms but by dealing with the cause.
>>
>>135625795
My fetish was considered horrible on /d/ and I was told to fuck off.
>>
>>135625756
>Then you just end up with a swarm of little sites

You minimize the damage the best you could. As I've said, piracy has existed before and will exist in the future as long as there's an avenue for it.

That doesn't mean you just shrug and say, "I guess my shit's stolen then" without doing anything about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
>>135625841
That's... impressive
>>
>>135625807
>If authors truly approved of piracy, those pirates wouldn't be in jail by now.
And as I already pointed out, the ones persecuting piracy generally aren't the authors but the publishers. The authors don't actually have a say in this most of the time.
>>
File: The pinnacle of art.png (434KB, 690x777px) Image search: [Google]
The pinnacle of art.png
434KB, 690x777px
I literally can't wait for the coming of glorious Corean animation
Pic related: it's me and my Corean gf
>>
>>135625841
You can't leave without telling us what your fetish is.
>>
>>135625763
Suing and DMCAs also reduces piracy.

>>135625824
That implies that poverty is the "cause" of drugs rather than demand for anything illegal.
>>
>>135625712
Yes people of all wealth levels use drugs, but the overwhelming majority of users are the poor. You can spend all the time and money in the world trying to lock up drug dealers and break up drug gangs, but ultimately all your doing is playing whack-a-mole, there will always be another gang or dealer to take the place of the one you took down. You need to attack the root cause, which is the despair caused by poverty, in order to actually lower the demand for drugs.

Piracy is similar, while not every pirate will turn into a legitimate consumer, most of them would if the product they're pirating was more easily accessible or of higher value to them. IIRC Steam actually proved this, Russia and other eastern european countries used to be the dominant pirates of games, Steam decided to improve their service in those countries, and boom, Steam game sales went up and piracy went down.

Piracy is ultimately a symptom of a flawed system which producers have to correct.
>>
>>135625518
>derp
This isn't >>>/2010/
>>
>>135625807
Most authors give as much fucks as they get money from actual sales. Most of the time, not at all.
>>
>>135625841
It can't be that bad.
>>
>>135625934
As I said, they can only go so far. If the DMCA was truly effective then not a single illegal pirating site would exist today.

>>135625934
It is in many cases. Poor people could become desperate that they turn to drugs to escape their problems.
>>
>>135625890
>And as I already pointed out, the ones persecuting piracy generally aren't the authors but the publishers

You're retarded if you think authors support piracy and publishers are going against their wishes.
>>
>>135625934
>That implies that poverty is the "cause" of drugs rather than demand for anything illegal.
And what causes that demand?
>>
File: THESEWOUNDSTHEYWILLNEVERTHEAL.jpg (117KB, 690x1067px) Image search: [Google]
THESEWOUNDSTHEYWILLNEVERTHEAL.jpg
117KB, 690x1067px
>>135625898
My Pain shall pierce the heaven
>>
>>135625920
Look, all I wanted was sensible, planned loving between two married individuals, no thrills, nothing exciting No needles, no scat, no scientific experimentation, no focus on genitalia, , no ahegao, no incest. Just a wife and a husband who wanted a normal kid so the kid can have a normal life. That was all, was that so much to ask for?
>>
>>135626022
You are sick.
>>
>>135626002
That wasn't his point. His point was in most cases it's usually the publishers, not the authors, who take an active part in takedown requests.

>>135626011
Poverty.
>>
>>135625991
>As I said, they can only go so far

"Dealing" with poverty to eliminate drug addiction can only go so far as well since "dealing" with poverty is easier said than done.

Same with piracy.
>>
>>135626022
What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>135626022
Holy shit that's fucking disgusting, you're sick in the head m8
>>
File: 1451323162964.png (167KB, 417x380px) Image search: [Google]
1451323162964.png
167KB, 417x380px
>>135626022
>>
>>135626052
>His point was in most cases it's usually the publishers, not the authors, who take an active part in takedown requests.

Because authors don't have the power and resources to make those takedown requests, publishers do so on their behalf.
>>
File: lewd.gif (254KB, 236x199px) Image search: [Google]
lewd.gif
254KB, 236x199px
>>135626022

too much anon...too much...
>>
>>135626022
Do you go to shocker sites for that shit? That's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>135621008
That comment was pissing me off too
>>
>>135626066
Which is more effective then? Drugs and piracy are both like (most) diseases: you can try to cure the symptoms, but if you can't cure the cause of the disease then things won't get better.
>>
>>135626002
>You're retarded if you think authors support piracy and publishers are going against their wishes.
Last I checked, the authors are the ones who bend over for the publishers, not otherwise. Unless they have a really good fucking contract, the authors don't get a choice in the matter, regardless of their actual opinion.

>>135626066
>Same with piracy.
In case of piracy, it's a lot easier to take advantage of it than to deal with it.
>>
>>135626011
>>135626052
Can you prove that drug addiction is caused by poverty?

Also, if poverty really does cause drug addiction, isn't it easier said than done to deal with drug addiction knowing that poverty has and will always exist?
>>
>>135626022
Die and pray that hell will accept for this world does not, fiend.
>>
>>135626166
>Last I checked, the authors are the ones who bend over for the publishers, not otherwise.

Are you suggesting we should let people pirate and all Japanese authors are down for it?
>>
>>135626188

please stick to the topic, it's slowly starting to get derailed into drugs.
>>
>>135626153
The root cause itself is incurable though. The RIAA does not have resources for taking down "poverty".
>>
>>135626249
How fucking hellbent are you on forcing your opinion that you can't even read a sentence without twisting it to fit your bullshit?
>>
File: check.gif (469KB, 200x135px) Image search: [Google]
check.gif
469KB, 200x135px
Here we go
>>
>>135626278
I do agree with you. On the other hand, this thread is on page 10 anyway.
>>
>>135626278
Substitute "drugs" with "piracy".

>>135626297
Answer the question. If my summary doesn't fit what you're saying, then elaborate instead of going into a spastic fit.
>>
>>135626249
>we should let people pirate
>We should
>We
>>
>>135626188
http://seacliffrecovery.com/addiction-recovery-blog/the-connection-between-poverty-and-drug-abuse/
>>
>>135626188
Also this
http://alcoholrehab.com/drug-addiction/poverty-and-substance-abuse/
>>
>>135626394
Let me rephrase. Are you suggesting Japan should allow pirates to get away with pirating and mooching off the hard work of Japanese authors since many authors are allegedly "okay" with it?
>>
>>135625303
>insane xenophobia,
I really want this meme to end. It's not like comics are marketed to the generation that actually saw the war, and a bunch of keks in 2chan or whatever that turn out to be government keks are not representative of the Japanese.
>>
>>135626397
>>135626434
see >>135626291
>>
>>135626532
It might never be completely eliminated but it can be reduced. It's like lupus which is currently incurable but with the right medication can be maintained to tolerable levels.
>>
>>135626517
>jap give a horse shit about chink and gook manga wannabe
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
>>
I think the biggest question here is what is madhouse doing so right that so many other studios are doing wrong.
>>
>>135626655
Madhouse let themselves get bankrupted and getting bought by TV stations.
>>
>>135626791
Best thing to ever happen to em.
>>
>>135621716
>>135622132
They fucked up when they started selling streaming rights to single sites like Crunchyroll, Funimation, ecc.
The idea of a site like Daisuki, operated by a japanese anime consortium is actually good, and they should have focused just on that, while charging for it.
I'm not from the US so Crunchyroll doesn't make much sense for me.
If Daisuki was actually good, by having decent design, good streaming performance, and had every possible series I could think of with competent subs, I would gladly pay 10€ a month for it.
They could payback companies based on viewership, and it they continue to want to fuck japanese, just make in inaccessible in Japan.
Thread posts: 676
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.