[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you consider Berserk to be an entry level manga?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

File: Berserk.jpg (9KB, 249x202px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk.jpg
9KB, 249x202px
Do you consider Berserk to be an entry level manga?
>>
>>120469310
Not so much entry level, but for me, it was the first one I got really really stoked about. I remember checking out all the volumes from the library when I was 16 because I thought it was so cool, and then waiting for the scans for new chapters. It was my first follow the scans series.
>>
>>120469310
Only because its popular.
>>
>>120469310
>child abuse
>rape
>murder

totally entry level.
>>
>>120469450
Tumblr isn't this site, faggot
>>
There's no manga like Berserk and it's the biggest failing of the whole medium imo. It's one of a kind in terms of it's scope and drama in the first few arcs. It's a shame that moe shit will often have five different series for the same idea and Berserk stands on it's own.

Berserk is far too based to be considered anything like other manga. A manga is what it is, but I feel like saying it isn't one. It's too good.
>>
>>120469310
more gateway than entry level
>>
>>120469450
ah, so it's edgy shit? well thats lame
>>
Yes, but like plenty of other 'entry-level' material, it's not bad. It's entry-level because it's so popular that its influence is pervasive, and its popular because it has enough quality to achieve a widespread appeal.

We tend to use a phrase like 'entry-level' as though it's a criticism because there's so many things in which being entry-level is seriously the only thing going for it.
>>
>>120469310
Yes, absolutely.
Doesn't mean it's not great, though.
>>
>>120469450
Content doesn't determine if its entry level
>>
>>120469571
It's tastefully executed and everything you see in the series has a purpose. It doesn't do anything for 'style,' all those things are needed to tell the story.

Go back to SAO or some retard shit if it's not for you.
>>
>>120469525
This post is a great example of why being entry level is a bad thing, because faggots like this read it and think that because it's half decent, they now have an expert grasp over the breadth of an entire medium and can comment on all the thousands of things they've never read, because int he whole 10 manga they've read to completion they haven't found one they liked as much as their entry level favourite.
>>
>>120469592
so what? i don't think any seinen manga is entry level.
>>
>>120469631
I've read shitloads of seinen and shounen. Name one that's like Berserk. And no Claymore, Vinland, Kingdom, Vagabond etc don't count. What makes Berserk is that it's realistic fantasy.
>>
What are the best scans for Berserk?
>>
>>120469310
Yes.
>>
>>120469677
>realistic fantasy.

And people tell me why I hate Games of throne.
>>
>>120469310

If Berserk is entry level then Bradherley no Basha is also.
>>
>>120469752
that post is so underaged it hurts. Kill yourself.

Claymore would've been similar enough if it didn't devolve into DBZ bullshit a couple hundred chapters in. Probably still wouldn't have been as well written.
>>
>>120469814
adding edgy shit in a fantasy doesn't make it realistic. deal with it.
>>
>>120469600
Nah, there was quite a bit of gratuitous rape in Berserk and the whole first three volumes were excessive for what needed to be conveyed
>>
>>120469899
Guts being raped was something that came back to punctuate his character and change his decisions later on. Like when he broke out in tears, or acts homophobic or, you know... Doesn't want to get close to anyone intimately.

The Caska rape scene is literally what sets the story in motion.
>>
>>120469640
There are a lot of people from /v/ who say that Berserk is the only manga they've read
>>
>>120469992
Yes, and there were also many panels were women were being raped by demons for no real reason
>>
>>120469992
The arc with the trolls was literally unnecessary and didn't even add to the story,
>>
>>120470093
>were

This whole thread was born in the 90s. But I prove my point in my last post, those are more realistic reactions to what rape does than most manga characters have to real combat.

As for the other stuff, do you even manga? A lot of it is just to make you feel Guts' rage. It's the same as say a bad guy attacking mooks or villagers in a shounen, just has more impact. As for realism... Well... Rape occurs in war.

Vinland Saga's rape seemed more lolrandom in some ways because it's not like Thorfinn is building up to get revenge on those people. (even if it worked in making me angry at them.)
>>
I'd say it's the next level up from entry.
Well known enough for the title to be known to entry level, but the right balance of familiar fantasy and intimidating from sheer length and substance.
>>
>>120470372
Yeah, it's just the other stuff felt more appropriate for the situation. The child abuse and murder happened where you'd expect child abuse and murder would be. The rape happened during the middle of large scale fantasy battles, which just seemed a bit awkward
>>
>>120470586
>intimidating from sheer length
Just like bleach, naruto and one piece, right? Those sure are a step above entry level because of that daunting entry barrier, eh?
>>
>>120470610
Yeah that's true.

I guess I'm white knighting Berserk a lot because I wish there really were more anime/manga like it. I like a lot of games stories (sotc, DaS) and wish there was anime like them and not K-On, but eh beggars and choosers.
>>
File: vegetable behelit.jpg (39KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
vegetable behelit.jpg
39KB, 480x640px
>>
>>120469310
babbies first seinen manga
>>
>>120469310
Well, yeah, in the sense that it doesn't really need much in the way of a crash course beyond your usual fantasy stuff the same way something like a "it's a story with magic and giant robots, but I also hope you're familiar with Japanese high schools and their social dynamics" kind of anime would be.
>>
>>120470372
>Vinland Saga's rape seemed more lolrandom in some ways because it's not like Thorfinn is building up to get revenge on those people
It was partly to show his complete lack of empathy back during his revenge phase, and partly obligatory because they were vikings.
>>
>>120470093
Demons? No. Trolls, yes. You see a Berserk thread and it's all about the rape, but then you read it and Guts and Casca are the only named rape victims, with other scenarios being few and far inbetween.

>hurr durr Casca enjoyed it more than Guts

Also a point of discussion at this time of the year, but wise magical negro is a caring, considerate individual, while Griffith wouldn't dare reward the woman who chose Guts over him.
>>
>>120471222
Why ?
>>
File: Berserk_v23_p094.png (479KB, 1237x1811px) Image search: [Google]
Berserk_v23_p094.png
479KB, 1237x1811px
>>120469310
>introduce two friends to Berserk
>they both end up reading the plot on the wiki before even touching the manga

what the fuck is wrong with people
>>
>>120472129
I used to do that with horror movies when I was a kid so I wouldn't get scared
>>
File: Burning_animated_lenny_face.gif (21KB, 132x99px) Image search: [Google]
Burning_animated_lenny_face.gif
21KB, 132x99px
>>120472165
Both of them haven't read the manga or have any inclination to. They just read the plot on the wiki

>mfw seeing 20 years of plot lapped up in just a few minutes and their indifferent reaction

I gave them easily accessible scans and everything.

One of them even watched the anime, and I thought it was impossible to finish that and then not read the manga.
>>
>>120472251
What other series have they read or watched?
>>
>>120472337
none
>>
>>120470093

They're demons and trolls who do fucked up shit. Miura just shows a lot of it and it's there to make you uncomfortable rather than to titillate.

He pretty much beats you over the head with how fucked up the Berserk world is which is why that even with Guts' RPG party, I'm still really fucking worried that something tragic might happen to them all.
>>
>>120469310
Yeah, but fucking star wars is entry level sci fi, it doesn't mean it's bad.
>>
>>120472251
That's what you get for being a normalfag.
>20 years of plot lapped up in just a few minutes
That's actually the reason I've never read past the Eclipse, I don't want to read everything too fast
>>
>>120472514
>That's actually the reason I've never read past the Eclipse, I don't want to read everything too fast
Are you autistic?
>>
>>120472129
I do that with everything. And it ruins everything, but keep doin it anyway.
>>
>>120469992

I like how troll arc always gets ignored when people say the dark and edgy shit happens for a purpose and not for style.
>>
I haven't read much manga, but I started with Berserk, Claymore and Dragon Ball.

I didn't have issues with any of them, except I read the wrong Berserk scans the first time around
>>
>>120472543
How am I autistic?
>>
>>120472636
Just read it, what's the problem?
>>
>>120472407
The original Eclipse's impact would be lessened if something bad happened to Guts as his party, but yeah, the Berserk world really is fucked up even with the tone lightening up over time. That's why I think that Casca, in her state, was right to retreat into her mind and escape it all. For all we know, she might not know that Guts is still alive.

>>120472601
Yeah, the women in that arc were raped for no good reason other than to show how trolls reproduce. Enoch Village was probably still fucked even after Guts and the others saved them due to that, but fortunately we haven't gotten any rape or sex since.
>>
>>120472678
>What's the problem?
I like Berserk and I'll end up reading the whole thing in a few days
>>
>>120472678
>>120472543
>implying he's not a genius
He's probably the only person in this thread that isn't stuck on the boat.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.