[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is most anime so generic and repetitive? It seems like the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

File: NAr5qeJ.gif (2MB, 683x374px) Image search: [Google]
NAr5qeJ.gif
2MB, 683x374px
Why is most anime so generic and repetitive? It seems like the shows that actually do something different than the generic highschool + cute girls + average protagonist + some magical shit.

I used to love watching anime, but after a while it just all kinda blurred together. Most shows are hardly memorable, and most characters are just cutouts of their respective archetypes.
>>
TV is a medium that aims to provide something that will appeal to the largest audience possible.
>>
Money.

Also,

>>120140498
/thread
>>
Most of everything is generic and repetitive, you just watch more anime so you notice it more there.
>>
http://youtu.be/FpJhilIA-NY?t=9m41s
>>
>>120140498
Yeah, but the industry is dying from the shrinking audience. If you make people watch the same show over and over they will eventually begin to dislike it.

I hate to say it, but I think anime peaked in the 90's.
>>
>>120140544
False.
The industry is actually growing.
>>
>>120140544
>Yeah, but the industry is dying from the shrinking audience.
You mean, with more sales each passing year?
>I hate to say it, but I think anime peaked in the 90's.
Oh, you're one of those. Excuse me for taking you seriously.
>>
>>120140454
You write what you consume.
There are always some hidden gems to find every couple of years though.
>>
>>120140454
You're burned out. Take a break from anime (and /a/) until anime feels interesting again.
>>
>>120140635
Yeah, i'm one of those. Probably because I was a 90's kid.
>>
>>120140544
If the same show over and over again didn't sell then we wouldn't be watching re-re-runs of Seinfeld. People don't want fresh and innovative anime, they want good anime, no matter if they've seen it done before just as well.
>>
I just wish they made more seinen stuff. I can only take so much cute anime highschoolers.
>>
>>120140714
Yeah, I guess I am just mad since I started reading alot of manga. Manga allows alot more artistic freedom and experimental plots. I wish more got adapted into anime.
>>
>>120140544
Please kill yourself, anon.
>>
>>120140717
What are you talking about? They are seinen.
>>
>>120140691
Well, the thing is that your views are biased. Back then, you only watched some anime, while now, you're exposed to it all. But tell me, how many "good" titles can you think that are from the 90s? Are there more than from 2000-2010? I doubt so. It's just that the density seemed higher, but it was just an illusion caused by what I said before.
>>
>>120140454
Why is most _____ so generic and repetitive? It seems like the shows that actually do something different than the generic _____ + _____ + _____ + _____.

I used to love watching _____, but after a while it just all kinda blurred together. Most shows are hardly memorable, and most characters are just cutouts of their respective archetypes.
>>
>>120140454

Hayao miyazaki pls
>>
>>120140454
I feel the same, OP. I went from romcom and battle shounen to dark and gritty to moe, comedy and SoL. I've watched the classic usually included in /a/ and /m/ charts. Now, I don't even want to watch anime anymore. Maybe >>120140651 is right.
>>
>>120140691
>90's kids
It's always cringe-worthy when someone mentions that on the internet.
>>
>>120140794
>It's just that the density seemed higher
That's true. I'm an 80's kid from behind the iron curtain and while the 90's looked like an absolute goldmine for anime in quality (and it was hard getting it) with the floodgates opening it seemed like the industry went to shit.
But the good stuff was still there, there was just more shit surrounding it.
>>
>>120140454
Then stop watching "generic" stuff. Nobody's forcing you to watch anything.
>>
>>120140454
We're in the middle (or perhaps towards the end) of an anime boom. There's more anime being made than ever before, but the amount of staff hasn't grown proportionally to the amount of production. Most series are just phoned in, and there's a lot of production by committee going on. It has a lot of similarities to the OVA boom with regards to shit that isn't very good getting approved for production.

I don't know when, but you can expect the current anime bubble to collapse eventually.
>>
>>120140717
But K-On is Seinen
>>
>>120140717
>I can only take so much cute anime highschoolers

Cute girls doing cute things is the majority of seinen anime.
>>
>>120140794
More importantly, he was a child, so he thought any crap was amazing. He was clearly a particularly dumb kid too, since he still hasn't figured out it's a good idea to check the data before claiming something is shrinking and dying.
>>
Having gone on a binge in watching anime from the 80's and 90's outside of the recommended "classics", there's nothing that has actually changed from anime now to anime then except for modern anime being HD.

People cite titles like Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, etc. as the stuff that made anime great and then put those in as the representation of all anime in that period, when if you look closer at the anime of the period there were also the average and the not so great. Which is just like today's situation, only that modern anime audiences in the west have more access to anime and thus can see the entire anime scene unfiltered.
>>
>>120141039
>there's nothing that has actually changed from anime now to anime then except for modern anime being HD

Plenty has changed, but the average quality hasn't.
>>
File: 1385764694343.jpg (825KB, 1218x1642px) Image search: [Google]
1385764694343.jpg
825KB, 1218x1642px
>>
>>120140454
Did you consider 'not' watching generic high school romcoms?

Like why not try Death Parade or Yoru no Yatterman or Shirobako from last season. That one in particular is quite unique
>>
otaku media has a niche appeal and does not attract high quality creatives. those people would go into film, mainstream television or even literature.
most anime are adapted and not original stories. the creative force in the industry is the flow of new writers of comics and light novels, who themselves begin as fans. the creative force in otaku media is only slightly better than fanfiction writers.
it is not as bad as fanfiction writers, because otaku media exists in a strata that is not as high a standard as film and mainstream television, but not as low quality as the creative output of ordinary fans who do not even aspire to be professional. it is somewhere in the middle.
but what drives the industry is still the passion of people who begin as fans, even though they are fans of things that you decry as cliche and overused and predictable, their enjoyment of these things is what makes them want to create their own manga or light novel and that is how the process begins.
There is also the nature of Japanese people in general where they do not attempt to rock the boat or go against the grain, but instead try to plug away at their work in a zenlike manner, focusing on details and tiny improvements. A flaming comet of creative force like Anno flies in the face of the entire Japanese paradigm of how to live and fit into society, and those kind of Japanese are incredibly rare.
>>
>>120140454
Look for different anime, it's like saying "oh, i hate sports videogames, why can't i like sports videogames if it's the only thing i play" There's a ton of different stuff just lurk more.
>>
File: 1418955734674.png (185KB, 456x480px) Image search: [Google]
1418955734674.png
185KB, 456x480px
>lookign at old anime

>oh that looks cool

>get half way through it and remember I have already seen this

>didn't remember shit it's all the same.

This season is going to be the worst for it too... like maybe 2-3 shows worth watching and thats it?

The most enjoyment i'll probably get this season is R-18G ero guro yuri bear pictures on Pixiv even though its source material is shiiiiiiiiiiiiit
>>
>it's generic because I don't like it
You just like different kind of generic shit, you only think something is different because, well, you watching different titles from different genres and whatsoever.
Try to break from anime and problem will dissapear.
>>
>>120141086
Aside from animation evolving over the years and the transition from the OVA market to more TV anime, the medium itself is full of the same stuff, just more of it.
The basic themes and tropes are mostly the same. Some decades may have certain trends that are followed by the industry, but they always cycle in and out of popularity.
Oh, and they really fucking loved motorcycles in anime during the 80s. They also still liked cute girls, idols, pantyshots, harems, lolis and all the other shit people bitch about.
>>
>>120141705
>Implying film and tv have higher standards than anything
>>
File: 3182.jpg (129KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
3182.jpg
129KB, 1280x720px
This shit is comfy as fuck, SHAFT got it spot on so far.

Thank you for this glorious SoL show.
>>
>>120142096
>not wanting a real cooking anime, but another moeblob show
Sasuga tripcancer.
>>
I have a feeling you just watch too much anime. I went through this too after a shitty breakup and I thought "wow omg anime is fucking dead, nothing original or fun, what am I doing with my life"

Just take a week or two off from anything anime related and you should be fine. If you are still all edgy after that you might just be a hipster bitch because yes, themes and archetypes will overlap. But the way you feel right now has more to do with your mental state than the state of the anime industry
>>
>>120142239
Gotta love the /adv/ level of retardness in this thread.
>>
Pic not related. Unless you're a shit taste faggot of course.
>>
>>120142111
I can cook every day, there are no moeblobs in my life though.
>>
>>120141168
>Robotech
Dude... Macross is much better then that shit
>>
>>120142299
I mean yes, but at the same time it is prob OPs perspective that is making anime seem bland for him. Not even that guy you responded to, but that doesn't seem too farfetched
>>
>>120140454
I'm incredibly picky about and limit how much I watch so I generally avoid this problem
>>
>>120140454
Everything is a slightly different version of the same thing. We had this exact same thread 30000 years ago on Atlantis. "It rhizome like pottery" as Annon said.
>>
Because the paying customers are low in number so they like very specific things
>>
>>120142321
But-but anon, what about you? You a cute moeblob.
>>
>>120141168
>all this mechgarbage
/m/ pls go. It's even more immature and retarded than capeshit.
>>
>>120140454
Just watch the superior live action film.
>>
At least more SoLshit means we won't be flooded with garbage genres like action and horror.
>>
>>120144326
Are you retarded?
>>
>>120144663
Mech is shit for plebs.
>>
>>120140454
People stop watching anime once they "grow up". These generic and repetitive anime are made for those who are new to anime.
>>
>>120141168
>Ginguiser
>2010
I question the credibility of this chart
>>
>>120140544
You mean early to mid-80s. All but movies and OVAs in the 90s sucked hard.
>>
>>120142003
>They also still liked cute girls, idols, pantyshots, harems, lolis and all the other shit people bitch about.
Not to the same extreme that we complain about today. Excess of these tropes is the problem, not that they exist.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.