[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does it take the combined effort of all of Shaft to be as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: kunihiko_ikuhara.png (161KB, 271x325px) Image search: [Google]
kunihiko_ikuhara.png
161KB, 271x325px
Why does it take the combined effort of all of Shaft to be as weird as Ikuhara is by himself?
>>
He's just special.
>>
Akiyuki Shinbo weeps. Does he get no credit for his directing here?
>>
>>120129639
Ikuhara looks so fabulous there that he might as well have his own Stand.
>>
But Ikuhara's latest show is animated by a bunch of ex-SHAFT guys.
>>
>>120129963
Shinbo might arguably be a more talented director but he's maybe like 30% as weird
>>
Answering forever why Shaft is shit.
>>
>>120130041
Actually Silver Link is mostly made up of ex-JC Staff members, people only associate them with SHAFT because Oonuma works there.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=5346547&postcount=157
>>
Ikuhara weird feels forced. Like he's trying to come up with what will catch people's attention. Shaft weird feels more natural, like they're just being themselves.
>>
>>120130526
That thread is about production crew, not creative guys.
>>
File: 1420521790474.jpg (84KB, 416x733px) Image search: [Google]
1420521790474.jpg
84KB, 416x733px
>>120130633

Are you implying that Ikuhara's natural personality isn't as attention-seeking as can be?

Because you clearly don't know him very well.
>>
Ikuhara's weirdness could never make me smile, nor could it drive me into pangs of sadness or melancholy. His works feel utterly forced for me. Wait, no, he's not weird. He's a bit short on attention, like he's always spewing "look at this oh so sexual me, I'm so dazzling, am I right?" His works tend to declare itself as refreshingly sensuous, and then attempt to plaster such a claim on the audience's face, regardless whether the audience gets it or not.

Shinbo's works, on the other hand, feel like its evoking what it wants from the audience, not spoonfeeding the idea itself, because he knows the audience is already seeking for it. He's catering to the fanbase's wants, sometimes selling the imagery almost plainly, never in a roundabout Ikuhara way. Its easier to evoke smiles this way, but it comes off as rather short lived sometimes and not too memorable. However, its far more successful at drawing the smiles from the audience's face.

In short, Ikuhara is for the narcissists, and Shinbo is for the moefags
>>
>>120129963
Why?
Shinbo is arguably the superior director and more successful. Shinbo works are watch by many. He gets his points across.
Ikuhara works don't go anywhere besides hardcore ikuharafags.
>>
>>120129963
No, he just gets credit for other people's directing.
>>
I really hate how Shaft's picked up the "lol so weird and 2deep4u" moniker. Its just Shinbo's art style ontop of him picking out works by people like Ume, Nisioisin, and Kumeta.

Shaft is basically just "are we in the black? great lets do whatever"
>>
>>120131289
I really don't like Shinbo very much.
>>
>>120131017
>using that to buy groceries
>>
>>120131208
Is this a new pasta?
>>
>>120131289
>Shinbo works are watch by many

This was pretty much never the case until Monogatari and Madoka and you can argue that Nisio and Urobuchi had more to do with the success of those two.
>>
File: autism.gif (1MB, 600x338px)
autism.gif
1MB, 600x338px
>>120131208
>Ikuhara's weirdness could never make me smile, nor could it drive me into pangs of sadness or melancholy.
>>
>>120131549
It's definitely more Nisio and Urobuchi.

Shinbo is nothing but the ringleader of a circus of clowns who can't get episodes done on time.
>>
Shinbo = flash a lot of cards with source material lines
Ikuhara = make a lot of hands pointing at all the subtle symbolism
>>
>>120131549
>Nanoha
>Moonphase
>PPD
>Hidamari Sketch
>SZS
>Some hentai

Shinbo works pre Bakemonogatari were all pretty popular.
>>
>>120131549
Monogatari and Madoka aren't even directed by Shinbo.
>>
Ikuhara is actually smart, though. Everything he puts in his stories has an eventual payoff. You see a lot of bizarre imagery in other series but his gift is that he always brings it full-circle.

Penguindrum is an excellent example of this, watching it a second time over you pick up so much that you missed the first time. It seems like every detail he includes is meticulously crafted.

SHAFT by comparison seems to have an aesthetic idea of how they want things to look, and they just move things in that general direction. It's more of a stylistic thing for them. Ikuhara's technique is to put everything on the table in a huge mess and then start showing you how it fits together.
>>
>>120131756
yeah they are?
>>
Shaft mainly does adaptations. Ikuhara can make his plots just as weird as the direction while shaft can't.
>>
How does Ikuhara masturbates?
>>
>>120132139
I don't think I agree with that. You may attribute the odd inconsistencies in SZS or Monogatari or whatever as just SHAFT being weird, but a good amount of the time there's a reason for it and it fits together once you have the full picture. Shinbo is a master.
>>
>>120131426
Something being weird doesn't necessarily mean something's deep. It just means it's weird.

This is a weird looking picture of an apple. But it's still a picture of an apple.
>>
>>120129639

With that hair, he reminds me of Pagan Min...
>>
File: abstract-apple.jpg (116KB, 647x860px) Image search: [Google]
abstract-apple.jpg
116KB, 647x860px
>>120132399
I forgot to include the picture of the apple!?
>>
>>120132368
He does when he works
>>
>>120132343
A lot of the bizarre quirks in monogatari are solely SHAFT being SHAFT. and making adaptations as good as SZS and Monogatari takes real skill. Watching Monogatari is a lot like reading it, but it's not like the writing in the novels calls for odd cinematography and art design or bonkers close ups/animation/backgrounds that don't make any sense.
>>
>>120132385
>SZS or Monogatari
No. Read the source materials.
SZS is exactly like that, after you read the manga, all the pieces come together, since there were shitloads of hints.
Monogatari is the same but in a different way, only thing Shinbo did was to masterfully adapt ate this things into a visual medium.
>>
>>120132368
by breathing
>>
>>120132518
This.
Monogatari novel was good, but, for example, the scene where Hitagi falls the stairs was pretty bland on the LN, but Shinbo made it look like an angel falling on a super high tower with spiral stairs.
>>
>>120132314
Monogatari and Madoka just have his name attached to them. The real directors for those shows are Yukihiro Miyamoto (Madoka), Tatsuya Oishi (Bake), and Tomoyuki Itamura (post-Bake Monogatari). Shinbo hasn't been sole director himself since like 2008 or so, he just takes the credit of the work other people do, which is a real shame since I like Shinbo's directorial style much more than I do his apprentices'.
>>
File: alderaan-shot-first.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
alderaan-shot-first.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>120132469

That's no apple, that's a battlestation!
>>
>>120131503
It is now.
>>
>>120132649
So he's basically Sid Meier of anime?
>>
>>120132736
Or the Suda51 of anime.
>>
>>120132649
that's too bad, I didn't know that. He did do SZS though right? If he did then it seems like even if he isn't technically the director of Monogatari and Madoka he had a big hand in making them what they are, there are just too many similarities for them to not have any influence from Shinbo, especially Madoka Rebellion and same of the later Monogatari arcs
>>
>>120132649
But interviews with Nisioisin and Uro both have them crediting Shinbo for his work.
>>
>>120132820
He is the Director of the project but not of the serie. It's like being the director of the director.
>>
>>120132940
But that still ultimately means he's one of the main influences of the project?
>>
>>120132550
I have read the source materials, I'm saying SHAFT did an excellent job of adapting these things. But the writing in Monogatari doesn't really call for a lot of the weird shit they do in that series, SZS totally does though.
>>
>>120132969
The opposite, really.
>>
File: 1409941354538.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1409941354538.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
>>120132780
Shinbo was sole director on both the first and second seasons of SZS.
And yes, he certainly did influence those shows, just as how he influences most of the people at SHAFT, but there are clear differences in their style of directing compared to Shinbo's other works. For one, people always attribute the constant presence of complex architecture to Shinbo, but when you examine the works where he worked alone as director, he very rarely uses the same kind of style. He is generally far more dynamic than his underlings, using a lot of really uneven and dramatic shots, as well as more styles than simply blank cards and cuts, such as real photographs, flat shading and silhouettes. I think those differences enough prove that he has significantly less to do with current shaft than he used to.
>>
>>120132649
He's the guy telling Itamura and the rest how to do their job. So the real talent behind all of those is still that of Shinbo's.
>>
>>120131756
Storyboarding =/= Directing, if you're taking that from the article I think you're taking it from
>>
>>120132518
>>120132633

I totally agree, I also read the monogatari novels. What I was trying to say is that while the most shaft can do is being quirky with their visuals they never adapted something with a narrative style as weird as Ikuhara which really contributes to the weirdness of the show.Nisio writes great stories with great linguistic skills but it's pretty straightforward in storytelling compared to Ikuhara. I'd love to see shaft doing something with a plot as confusing as Yurikuma.
>>
File: SailorIkuhara.jpg (13KB, 153x425px) Image search: [Google]
SailorIkuhara.jpg
13KB, 153x425px
I need this Shinbo ver.
>>
>>120133387
That is cause Ikuhara story is shit.
His best work Utena was done with someone else writing the story.
>>
>>120133387
The Monogatari anime is more like an adaption of a much better edited version of the books tbh.
>>
>>120133097
This has been very educational anon. I do tend to dislike that out of all the anime directors in all of the industry /a/ tends to use only a handful or two commonly, and Shinbo and SHAFT are definitely buzz words around here.
>>
Ikuhara (mostly) a shit.
Shaft I could care less for.
>>
>>120133521
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>120133387
Okay I see what you mean. But yeah I love Ikuhara and I love SHAFT, so seeing SHAFT do something like that would be a dream come true.
>>
>>120130070
but shinbo's a garbage director by any standard, weirdness aside
>>
>>120133523
i think there's sort of a reason Shinbo is such a buzzword round here. Mostly, his name is just attached to a lot of quality stuff.
>>
>>120133736
his name is just attached to a lot of stuff*
Fixed

If you do lot of things at the end something good has to come out.
>>
File: url.jpg (97KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
97KB, 600x800px
>>120131017
Smalltime.
>>
>>120133635
That the novels are shit. I mean, they are, after all, poorly written LN's.
>>
>>120134099
You read japanese. anon?
Cuz they could be poorly translated novels instead.
>>
>>120134224
N4 was enough. They're shit.
>>
>>120134250
>N4
What?
>>
>>120133797
While that's true it think it has a lot more to do with the fact that Shinbo's stuff or things he's had a hand in are really easy to spot. SHAFT definitely does a lot of work, but even on /a/ it's mostly Monogatari, Madoka, Zetsubou and Nisekoi that get discussed, with things like Moon Phase mostly forgotten. Conversely, /a/ eats the shit out of Nichjou, Chuunibyou, Haruhi, and all of the key adaptation stuff (which I like too) yet you don't see Ishihara mentioned by name much at all, even though he has definitely had a lot of influence at Kyoani in their style as well.
>>
>>120133888
Thats Kishida something right?
I always forget his name. Post the other one.
>>
File: 1340848482545.jpg (199KB, 830x1163px) Image search: [Google]
1340848482545.jpg
199KB, 830x1163px
>>120130000
He is a stand!

or Kaworu from NGE[/spoiler
>>
>>120134250
>N4

It is certainly not enough to read them, let alone discern the quality of his japanese. Come back when you have taken N2. Or when you learn to troll.
>>
File: mel kishimakaze.png (311KB, 400x556px) Image search: [Google]
mel kishimakaze.png
311KB, 400x556px
>>120134394
This is max level Kishida.
>>
>>120134468
>N2 to read LN
Topkek. Anyways, they're shit. 4 pages describing a pantyshot is shit writing regardless the language they're written.
>>
>>120134596
>Not getting the reference to Henry Miller
What a pleb
>>
>>120134596
Yup, clearly never read them.
>>
>>120129639
Japanese men all look like old lesbians.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>120134250
>>120134596
>N4 Reading: One is able to read and understand passages on familiar daily topics written in basic vocabulary and kanji.
No, you don't read a novel with that level. Not even the simplest novels
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.