[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nihon Art Animation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 10

File: arichan_1.jpg (17KB, 462x340px) Image search: [Google]
arichan_1.jpg
17KB, 462x340px
If you are a student of Yale, Harvard, University of Michigan or University of California, Irvine, read this.

A crucial part of Japanese animation history is here, but the large majority of us can never see it, despite the majority of it being in the public domain.

Most of these films have no other domestic release and are impossible to see online. A few can be found on some video sites in low quality.

http://www.kinokuniya.co.jp/f/dsg-10-4523215015905
>¥349,920

More information: http://nishikataeiga.blogspot.ca/2014/12/japanese-art-animation-film-collection.html

The goal is to rip and distribute it. Main options are splitting the cost of one copy (last resort), or ripping a copy available in a university library (Yale, Harvard, University of Michigan, University of California (Irvine)).

I will personally donate/pay anyone attending one of the universities listed above to rip the collection (after it's done of course), if that's the motivation you need.
>>
But that's illegal.
>>
Advertising is bad. don't do it.
>>
>>119660803
I doubt anybody is going to care enough to do it on /a/ most people here haven't seen anime made before 1997 let alone the 20s.

>>119661002
Nobody is advertising anything.
>>
>>119661016
>Nobody is advertising anything.
Third party links are advertising, idiot
>>
Old anime sucks anyways. Who cares?
>>
>>119661063
Kill yourself.
>>
>While some of these works appear on other compilations, the vast majority of the films on these discs had never been released before in 2004, and many continue to be difficult to find.

They won't enter the public domain in the U.S. until 70 years after the death of everyone involved in the DVD release.
>>
I like the idea OP, not sure if it will come to anything, but I'll keep an eye on the thread anyway.
>>
I know a few people who go to UC Irvine, idk if they'd be willing to go check if they have it and rip it
>>
Papaparapapapa
>>
>>119661016
Maybe someone will care for money. I don't mind paying a fraction of the cost of this piece of shit if that can motivate someone.

I won't give up, I want to see muh Wagoro Arai.

>>119661092
The majority of the films themselves are in the public domain. The price is driven up by the cost of research, purchase from collectors, restoration, and possibly licensing fees for the newer works.

>>119661109
I'll send them money on Paypal if they rip it, would be nice to give it a try.
>>
>>119661109
I think this really would be a project that needs someone actually dedicated to doing this because there are fucking tons of DVDs in the collection.
>>
>I will personally donate/pay anyone attending one of the universities listed above to rip the collection

Might as well just save a couple minimum-wage paychecks and buy it yourself. I'm interested, but I don't think you'll get a situation similar to JD Salinger's An Ocean Full of Bowlingballs (or whatever it was called) situation. That was great, though. A few legendary pieces of literature that weren't supposed to be released for like 50 years somehow gets leaked.
>>
>>119661182
There are 12 DVDs, it takes a while to rip all that but it's not that many. The only issue is the time it takes to upload, and it's true people who don't care about this would probably not have the patience to do it.

(Hence offering money)
>>
I support this thread.
>>
>>119661206
Why would I pay $3500+ (10%+ proxy fees) when I could send a hundred bucks or so to someone to rip it? Would be decent payment for the time it takes and save everyone trouble.
>>
>>119661086
Make me
>>
>most people here haven't seen anime made before 1997

But eva
>>
>>119661294

I grossly misread the price. That price is absurd.
>>
>>119661334
It is because the only people that are going to buy it are fucking libraries and the only people that are going to watch it are academics.
>>
This is interesting. How did you know those universities have this, though? And are UC libraries connected across universities? I know people in UC but not in Irvine.
>>
>>119661294

Try to expand your search options a little bit. Starting with their anime club is better than the rare chance of someone on /a/ attending any of those universities. Dig around for contact info on Facebook and such.

http://www.campusorgs.uci.edu/search/searchdetail.php?id=2013000080
>>
>>119661181
so I assume they could just borrow it from the library and rip it or?
>>
>>119661411
I assume he searched for it online on something like worldcat
>>
>>119661355
The low mainstream appeal probably drove them to hike the price in order to recoup costs. But it's wrong to assume that the only people who will want to see it will have access to it.

>>119661447
I doubt it's available for check-out, but if there is a viewing room, it could be possible to rip them with a laptop, for example.

>>119661411
>>119661462
this

>>119661425
I'm pretty sure /a/ is more likely to be interested in this than your typical "anime club", plus there's risk in contacting people directly, but maybe in a pinch.
>>
I hope this works out. 20s anime could be pretty cool, if only for its historic value. Shame I live on the other side of the Atlantic or I'd rip them in a flash.
>>
>>119661516

I still recommend going the anime club route. Otherwise, try to prey on a University thread on /sci/ or /fit/. It's not a matter of being interested, it's a matter of being paid after all.
>>
>>119661516
Yeah idk about the UCI library so I'm not sure how to rip it but I'll try asking a friend. Not expecting much though
>>
I really like to see these. Good luck OP I hope you find someone at these universities to help you out.

Preserving this media for free access is an admirable goal.
>>
>>119661582
You're right, if nothing comes out of /a/, I might give it a try.
>>
>>119661643
Regardless, please ask them if they know or if they can check whether it's doable or not to rip DVDs in that university.
>>
Is /a/ really in this thread talking about how he shouldn't rip this? /a/, talking about how anime shouldn't be ripped? What a laugh.

OP, your cause is just. Power to you.
>>
>>119661711
(in terms of security)
>>
>>119661643
>>119661711
I'm not OP, but please also ask if it's possible for non-students to enter the library and handle materials. It probably isn't but please ask anyway. I'm headed somewhere around UCI on vacation soon and am willing to see if I can help.
>>
>>119660803
Asking on an imageboard is perhaps unreliable, OP. Try asking the fansub community. They have cartel tier connections and, since you are ready to pay, they might do it.
>>
twitter com/CalAnimeEpsilon

facebook com/groups/calanimageepsilon/

Make an account and ask there. Emphasize the importance of it. If they're actual anime fans, someone might understand.
>>
>>119661808
http://www.lib.uci.edu/services/mrc/mrc-collections.html

Looks possible to view for anyone and possible to check out for students (with UCI card).

So if a student could help it would be really cool. If you want to make sure whether or not you can enter without being a student, you should probably call them, but it looks fine.
>>
>>119661945
bad idea, no one will want to pirate in front of everyone else, regardless of the nature of the collection.
>>
>>119660803
I'd support it because I believe that data should be accessible for everyone.

Also it is protecting the movies, what if something happens to the library?
>>
>>119662042
>bad idea, no one will want to pirate in front of everyone else, regardless of the nature of the collection.
They're afraid of CLASS WAR? I scan library books all the time in my uni and upload it free. Free as in Free-fucking-dom.
>>
Jesus Christ Irvine.

http://clubs.uci.edu/cae/a/index.html

One of you has to come up now.

>>119662112
Well, wouldn't you be a bit worried answering some stranger asking your group to pirate him some stuff for money?
They'd probably all refrain.
I'd rather message them individually honestly.
We'll see.
>>
>>119662067
>data should be accessible for everyone.
Then tell me your credit card data, mister hero
>>
>>119662159

I'll message Kevin Wang, just made a throwaway account. He already has posts about emulation, I doubt he'll care about ripping DVDs.
>>
>>119662159
>I'd rather message them individually honestly.
It's the best scenario, as it brings the other guy as partner-in-crime, sharing the risks equally.
>>
>>119662232
OK then, let me know the response. I will check with a few others.
>>
>>119662232
>>119660803

And in case he agrees, I need an email for OP if he's really willing to drop a bit of money for it, so that I'm not holding my dick.
>>
>>119662363
[email protected]

If there's any new info on one side or another after the thread dies, just send a message here.
>>
>>119662452

All right.

Facebook seems to filter non-friend messages to "other", and doesn't give a notification, so he might not never see the message.
>>
Interesting. Please use Nihon Art again, I'm hoping for the best scenario to happen.
>>
>>119662159

>they have a tinyboard

Well, if private Facebook PMs don't work out, you can always just post there I guess. Probably would have to leave out the money part, though, otherwise someone will get butthurt when someone steps up and claims the money.
>>
>>119662479
ah yes, i remember that
i'll take a look at it and see what can be done

can you try to add him to friends temporarily? i'd rather not have two people contact one person.
>>
>>119660803
OP on BBT forums I read once that seeders often organize money gathering for buying rare material, you might want to ask there as well, if I were you I'd try to buy those DVDs and rip it yourself, because not only there's no risk but most likely they're remastered in better quality.

Universities might be holding the TV broadcast version of some works, even on VHS or LaserDisc in the worst case, that's more complicated to rip and not the best of quality, I'm just speculating though, would be great if they actually had the DVDs.

Good luck OP!
>>
>>119662578
oh and make sure to say you are interested in it rather than you want to distribute it if you haven't done so already since it's more legit to be a student trying to access a very expensive and rare collection for their own benefit than to upload it everywhere.
>>
Mod, pls sticky this.
>>
>>119660803
dumb question but the site that shows what schools it's at says the DVDs are region 2, would that be a problem?
>>
>>119662910
DVDs are very easy to decrypt, you just need to get the right programs and get the basic configuration down. If anybody is able to rip it, just post here or send an email to the address posted earlier and I will send details on how to rip properly.

What I'm most worried about personally is that people won't feel like uploading 12 whole DVD images or won't be able to due to bandwidth caps or living on campus (network restrictions).
>>
>>119663075
>bandwidth caps
Ouch, Muh 21st century civilization.
>>
>>119663075

>network restrictions

I think I saw on the FB page that it's 1gb a day. Not that bad, it just means a week per DVD.
>>
I can't help at all, but good luck op.
>>
>>119663168
But think about how fucking tedious it is, for both parties.

Of course if someone is willing to go through that I have no problem with it, but I imagine issues like that would turn a lot of people off.
>>
>>119663260

That's usually where the "being paid" part comes in. If they know what they're doing, it might not be that tedious.
>>
I wonder if it'd be at all possible to put it all up on something like, say, archive.org.
>>
>>119663610
Even if it were legal for old films, there are many mid 50s and 60s films that are not in the public domain yet.
>>
>>119662452
Will you stick with this email in case somebody else later contact you?
>>
>>119663950
Yes, because I don't want to make new threads just in case something comes up. But if you have a lead or something like that, please let me know in the thread, and keep me updated if there's any progress (thread/email) so I can keep track of what's going on and whether or not I should try to contact other people. I don't want to start messaging individuals or other groups before I know for sure that we're out of options here.
>>
>>119660803
Wait, surely you can get those series in Japan too?
>>
>>119666381
I was under the assumption that this was a Japanese box set, which explains the outrageous price a bit. And it's been pointed out this is likely the first time most of the shorts have seen a home video release.
>>
>>119666590
If they have been officially released then somebody surely already ripped them. If you knew Japanese you could ask on 2ch? Not that I know whether that would be successful at all.
>>
>>119666713
I kind of doubt it has. There's a very niche appeal to this and it's FAR over-priced even for a Japanese DVD set.
>>
Interesting thread.
>>
File: 593028576.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
593028576.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
It seems that some people don't understand what this really is about. I thought it was clear from the links I posted, but I will explain anyway.

This is a compilation of films ranging from the 1920s to the 1960s, which are especially hard to find due to the war, fires, quakes, poor maintenance, and so on, that have resulted in the loss of many films. There's also not a whole lot of interest in making these films available domestically in general.
Kinokuniya gathered, restored, bought from collectors, many films, and put them on DVD, in 2004. 95% of the films had never seen a domestic release before. Even today, the majority is only available on this collection. Some films that are available outside of this collection include Oofuji and Masaoka films (save for a couple exclusive to this set), Mitsuyo Seo's Momotarou no Umiwashi, and the Kawamoto and Okamoto films. Most other films that you can see on the Nishikata blog link that I posted in the OP are available in low quality on streaming sites (Niconico), or not at all (most of them).

Some of the most important films here in my opinion are the Animation San-nin no Kai ones, which include otherwise unreleased Kuri Youji films, as well as some films by Yanagihara Ryouhei and Manabe Hiroshi who haven't had any of their work released domestically as far as I know, despite being very important to the development of independent animation with Kuri in the 60s. Aihara Nobuhiro films are also quite rare, some of them are available on collections of Tanaami Keiichi films, but apparently the licensing of Aihara's films is expensive (according to Catherine Munroe, blog's author).
>>
>>119668312
(cont.)

Also very very important are the Toei films, including Koneko no Rakugaki which is available online but in low quality, as well as one of each of Murata, Oofuji and Masaoka films that are nowhere to be found elsewhere, as well as Wagoro Arai's Madame Butterfly Fantasy, Oishi's Ugokie Tori no Tatehiki (though you can find it online at a surprisingly decent quality from TV stream), and finally Mitsuyo Seo works which have never had a good compilation release despite him being a huge influence in animation (and direct influence for Tezuka Osamu among others).

On top of that there are tons of names in there I don't recognize, which is exciting to see when you think you've explored pre-60s Japanese animation as much as possible. It shows there's so much more out there that has become obscure due to a lack of availability. So, I don't want to let this opportunity slip by.

It may be hard to really understand the appeal of such a collection if you aren't interested in and/or don't know anything about Japanese animation history from the very beginning, but hopefully this makes you understand what it is and why people want it.

It is like being taunted with films of your favourite filmmaker, books of your favourite author, or albums of your favourite musician, that were never previously released, and that cost $3000+ to purchase. They might never be released again, and they are only available in some libraries on the other side of the world.

I'm not sure if that was a good explanation at all and it turned out longer than I wanted, but at least I can copy-paste it later.
>>
I have a friend at Harvard, I'll see if he's willing to rip them.
>>
>>119668312
>which are especially hard to find due to the war, fires, quakes, poor maintenance, and so on, that have resulted in the loss of many films
Small correction, this is mostly an issue for pre-war films, by the 60s obviously they stopped screwing around, but the issue with the 60s films is licensing fees since those aren't public domain. Plus a lot of very old films (mostly pre-war) are kept by collectors, so not only do they have to search for them, but they have to buy the films off the collectors and then possibly restore them. I'm not sure about the whole process they went through for this set, but I think there are more details in this press release:
http://prw.kyodonews.jp/open/release.do[semicolon]jsessionid=AC4D392C167FDACC18701BB2936D2B05[questionmark]r=200312168795
>>
So, any news?
>>
File: logo.png (9KB, 340x359px) Image search: [Google]
logo.png
9KB, 340x359px
>>119660803

I actually go to the University of Michigan and would more than likely be able to help out with this project; ripping the discs wouldn't be an issues as such, but uploading the files might prove a bit of an issue seeing as my only internet connection is through the university and monitored. I could put the files on an external HDD and mail them to someone who would actually be able to upload them, if that's a route that could be taken.

However, I'm looking through the Mirlyn catalog right now and I'm not getting any matches in the system for this. I can certainly try to look or make an inquiry with a librarian, but it'd likely be easier to have someone at a different university get a copy.
>>
>>119669567
Can you please send an email to [email protected] ? This way we can coordinate.
I will look for it on their online directories and see if I can find it. Otherwise, please let me know the results of your inquiries.
>>
>>119669827
Yep, I'll fire one off momentarily.
>>
>>119669567

I can also rip them, but then again sending some CDs to OP will probably do.
>>
>>119669567

Also, the World Catalog link is no longer valid. UM may no longer have them.

http://mirlyn.lib.umich.edu/Search/Home?checkspelling=true&inst=&submit=Find&type=isn&lookfor=70348805
>>
>>119670075
That's what I was afraid of, though it may be possible to get them through inter-library loans even if no one here goes to any of the other college listed.
>>
>>119670030
Yeah, that works, I'd pay for shipping and all in that case.

>>119670215
>>119670075
Would be good to ask a librarian as they should have records of this if they ever had it.
It would be unfortunate if they lost it.

I don't know how inter-library loans work with US universities, so please let me know if that is possible and how it's done.
>>
>>119670354
UM's ILL system is pretty robust from what I understand, so I believe I should be able to get hold of the collection. I can submit the request right away if you like and let you know via email whether or not it goes through as soon as I find out.
>>
>>119670574
Yes, I would appreciate it if you could give it a shot, thank you very much.

At the same time, the Ask a Librarian feature seems to be offline now, but if you get the chance, please ask them if they have any records on the collection, and what happened to it, if anything. It was most likely broken or lost, but you never know.

Here's hoping it works out.
>>
And of course for the anons who have friends at those universities, if there is a chance of that working out too, please let me know by email, in case something goes wrong.
>>
>>119660803
Interested.

If you don't managed to get contacts with those Uni set up a donation plan and let us know.

Keep the thread header.
>>
>>119660803
I wish you all the luck
>>
>>119670726
Hmm. So looking into the system a bit more, I don't think I'd be able to get all 12 discs in any reasonably timely manner; each disk in the collection has its own listing, so I'd have to submit 12 separate ILL requests and hope that the disks would all come at some point. To be perfectly frank, this semester is shaping up to be quite busy for me, and though I'd really love to help out with this project, I'm afraid I can't justify getting involved in this knowing that I may not be able to see the project through to completion. I hope that you're able to find someone at a college that actually has the collection on site in order to expedite the whole process.
>>
>>119660803
Reported this thread to the FBI and NSA
>>
>>119671494
I get it, but how much work does it represent to make those requests and deal with them? How long does the process take?

Considering the lack of success so far in finding someone available, I wouldn't mind if you took it slow. And after getting a disc, ripping it takes about 10-30 minutes. And I'll pay whoever helps with it. Please just take that into consideration unless there is a bigger issue that I'm not seeing.

But I understand if you don't want to deal with it. Thanks for trying anyway.
>>
>>119668312
>Momotarou no Umiwashi
Huh, I hadn't realized how rare it was. I actually saw this in an anime class I took for my last semester of college. Maybe I'll ask my professor if he can go make a copy for me or something. I'm not sure if it's the same compilation as the one OP is talking about, but it had a bunch of very old early Japanese animation including some that were literally just drawn on chalkboards.
>>
I wish you all the luck in finding somebody who can get it.

In the meantime, is anyone else watching old Japanese animated shorts?
>>
Sounds "easier" to donate money to some trustworthy guy to buy and rip it.
If retards can give a shitload of dough to UTW and Commie for virtually nothing, maybe we'll get somewhere. That's a lot of money though.
>>
>>119671789
>Momotarou no Umiwashi
This in particular is already uploaded to bbt in 10bit
>>
>>119671789
>that are available outside of this collection
It's available on a fairly cheap NA old anime compilation, the stuff that's actually exclusive to it is listed a bit later.

>>119671829
I doubt many people would actually donate significant amounts of money, of course there's also the issue of trust, etc.
But you're right, if it gets to that point that's what I'll try to do. I just don't think it would succeed without a few people making significant contributions. There isn't nearly the same level of demand for stuff like this than for mainstream airing anime.
>>
>>119660955
Not if it's out of copyright, it's not.

There's case law to the effect that a copy with the intention of being as authentic a reproduction as possible, no matter how much effort or skill is required, is still just a copy.

There's no new work created, so if copyright no longer subsists in the original, neither does it in the copy.

You can copy the copy without any form of infringement.
>>
>>119669567
Just upload them using SCP, HTTPS, SFTP, etc.

The university, unless it's solved a millennium prize and hasn't told anybody, can only tell that you sent data to somewhere. It can no more break the encryption and see what the data was than it can fly.
>>
>>119672172
It looks like he just pulled out and left for some reason...

Then we're still looking for someone in UoC, Harvard or Yale, or able to get DVDs from one of those universities.
>>
>>119672172
>>119672843
I'm still here, just waiting to see if anyone else pops up who would be able to do this easier. If not, I'm still able to get the discs off ILL, though it'll be a slower process.
>>
Wow, this would be fantastic if it gets done. Thanks for pointing this out OP.
>>
>>119673737
Alright.

Even if you can only get a part of it, or if it takes longer than a semester to go through it all, it's better than nothing. It's hard to find the right person at the right time.

If you want to prioritize by volume:
11 > 4 > 3 > 7 > 9 > 5 > 6 > 8 > 10 > 2 > (1 > 12) (parenthesis = all films on those discs are available on other releases though for consistency it'd be nice to have those ripped too)

I'm in university too with courses I really suck at this semester, so I get it if it takes you a while to get around to it. I'll pay you per disc if you want, for postage if you want to send it physically, and a bit more if you can do it all.
>>
>>119674348
Alright, I'll keep that prioritization in mind. I think I'll go ahead and submit the request for disc 11 right away to see if it'll even be possible to get it through ILL. It should be pretty manageable now that I think about it; the library is quite central to campus and seeing as I'm on campus every weekday it should be quite easy to pick up and drop off the discs.
>>
I don't get it. What's ON these discs anyways? Are we in a National Treasure movie?
>>
>>119674865
In that case, let me know if it goes through, and if it works I'll send you instructions on how to rip it in case it's encrypted (unless you already know how to use DVDDecrypter and RipIt4Me)

>>119674988
See >>119668312
>>
>>119675064
Okay, I'll do that. I can reach you at the email you gave me earlier, yeah?
>>
I knew they had porn archived and whatnot in the library here at UCI, but I didn't know they had chinese cartoons.
>>
>>119675230
Yeah, I'll add it to my email client and keep an eye on it. Anyone else who can help can reach me there after the thread dies, would probably easier to split the load even if the IIL request is approved.

>>119675366
Do you attend there? Think you can help? It would be cool if you have direct access to it.
>>
>>119675478
How did you find out that they were at the library here in particular?
>>
>>119675622
http://www.worldcat.org/title/nihon-ato-animeshon-eiga-senshu-1-ofuji-nobuo-sakuhin-shu/oclc/70348805
I think it's a Yale professor who showed it to Catherine Munroe (writer of the blog linked in the OP) and she linked it in her post.
>>
Just emailed California's library. It seems that you have to watch the DVDs in the viewing room, so you can't check them out. Maybe you can bring a laptop and just insist that you watch it on your superior laptop
>>
>>119661425
There are definitely at least a handful of people at UCI that browse /a/ regularly. Don't bother with the anime club.
>>
>>119675763
Oh it is at the Langston? Alright. Looks like all 12 are available and not checked out.
>>
Just checked again and they are somewhere in the multimedia and science library. I'll stop by tomorrow and see if I can find them.

Goes from 1926 starting from Vol 1 to 1978 with Vol 12.
>>
>>119675820
Are you a student there or just an outsider? Because their site stated that students (with a UCI card) could check these out.

>>119675926
If you can try and get them (or at least a few according to >>119674348 this priority list) please let me know, I'll compensate you for it if you can pull through. I'd appreciate if you could send an email now to [email protected] so I can reach you.
>>
File: 1420320210766.png (49KB, 946x554px) Image search: [Google]
1420320210766.png
49KB, 946x554px
>>119676042
Hmm, maybe I can bike there today when it stops raining instead of going there tomorrow when I am on campus. Don't want to commit too hard to this until I know for sure I can borrow them, rip them, and transfer them cleanly so I'll get back to you in a bit.
>>
Do your best anons!

This is actually a really worthwhile and amazing project. Unlike a lot of piracy already committed which involves companies losing sales (according to them, I actually think it helps spread notoriety and bring in money in some ways), this project is completely about making old forgotten anime available to the public. It's actually in the interests of the Japanese public and anime studios, since they would actually find access to content that's been hidden and forgotten. Students in Japanese universities who study animation would actually find a way to look at older animation and possibly improve their knowledge and techniques.

Why let some American hipsters who study Fourth Year foreign media watch one movie from 1932 that's irrelevant to to their course, when it's potentially one of the most important historical artifacts in Japanese animation out there?

Get this project under way anons! Best of luck to you!
This isn't piracy. This is literally in the interests of education and history.
>>
>>119676394
That would be really nice of you to look into it today, if it's at biking distance. If the thread doesn't die by the time you confirm it, we can all be on the same page.

Whatever you end up doing, just shoot me an email to confirm whether or not you were able to get it, otherwise I'll keep looking for people.

Thanks.
>>
>>119676394
Based anon saving the day
Thanks
>>
I'm gonna be that guy. But this is all good evidence that Japanese animation used to be far more creative.
>>
>>119676394
Thanks. You're a cool guy.
>>
>>119676633
I wish /a/ could prove its worth with this project.
>>
>>119660803
Another option is you can't find anyone at the four school you identified is an inter-university loan. Most universities have an online system set up to let you request materials that your university's library system is missing.
>>
>>119678900
One person here said he would try it, I'm not sure if he put in the request yet, but I think he might be too busy to do it all.

I'm not in the US, and my university doesn't seem to do ILLs, but if nothing comes out of the nice UCI anon, I might make another thread and see if we can get 12 people to each loan one disc.
>>
>>119660803
Ah, this would be nice.
Good luck, OP, and involved anons.
Perhaps if you got enough support from the university animation clubs, you could just have them ask the university department heads about negotiating these releases, as well. Just a thought.
>>
>>119679099
Asking department heads to pirate DVDs for me? I don't think that would work.
>>
>>119680627
I thought you said they were in the public domain in the OP?
>>
>>119680627
It's not pirating if they upload them as an online resource or something. From there it's just asking anyone who is a student at a given institution and tech-savvy to download it and share it.
>>
>>119681197
>>119681589
Most of them are, but a good portion (the later/independent films) aren't and have high licensing fees.

The animators no longer profit from their work, and I believe most (if not all) of them are dead, but they are still under copyright restrictions.

Or at least, it looks enough like piracy such that there is no way university staff would both with something like this (disregarding the fact that they have no reason to care even if it were all public domain, and it be a poor encode).
>>
>>119682724
>would both with something like this
would go/help (not sure what I was writing) with something like this
>it be a poor encode
would be a poor encode
>>
>>119682724
What I mean is that the library could digitise some of them and make them accessible online to students, just like lecture notes or theses are. I don't see any copyright violation in that.
>>
I remembered seeing this collection on her blog ages ago and thinking I wanted it but just realised it was impossible when I saw the price.
>>
>>119683424
But then it would be a shitty 8 bit mp4 encode or god forbid avi
>>
>>119683424
Sure, that would be possible, but it's irrelevant to the large majority of students, so why would they care?

Besides, it doesn't really solve the issue, the encode would be crap and it would have to exclude a significant portion of post-War works, maybe half of it.

Would be easier to just ask random students to rip it and pay a decent amount than to try to convince university staff that the American youth must have online access to 1920s Japanese films... and not just any of them, but THESE ONES! Too complicated to explain, nothing to gain on their end, not much to gain on ours, and all in all just not realistic.

>>119683809
Yeah, probably AVI, and all interlaced and blocked. Can't expect anything from someone with nothing to gain from it and no interest whatsoever.

>>119683772
>ages ago
She just posted about it in mid-December.
>>
>>119683887
I have a bad grasp of time apparently. I was thinking I saw it like last summer.
>>
So is there any progress on this?
If someone gets the discs ripped I can provide FTP access to my server for distribution. I don't have the storage to hold them all at once but we could work something out once I get them all saved locally.
Or if OP was willing to donate for or buy a VPS I could set it for for ongoing seeding or DDL/FTP access easily enough. It would be in the $10-25/mo range for a server with the requisite specs.
>>
>>119683950
She posted about a few of the films found on the collection for a while before that big post, I don't remember for how long though.

>>119683977
Can just use MEGA, someone with good upload speed and no transfer cap or a good VPS can then upload it to ADC.

Haven't gotten any email. Maybe the UCI guy is going to look for it tomorrow, but he didn't give me an email so I can't request followup.
>>
I have a friend who goes to Harvard and a friend who goes to Michigan, no I'm not going to ask them. Good luck. Why not just buy it?
>>
>>119684242
~$3.5k
>>
>>119684156
Why would you use Mega or anything similar for something halfway important.
I already offered use of my unmetered VPS or configuration of one with more storage.
Once the ISOs are on there it's just a matter of making a torrent and maybe a quick page of download links if you want DDL as an option too.
The only hard part of this quest is finding someone who can and will rip and upload the discs.
>>
>>119684440
What's bad about Mega? The point is for it to be convenient for those people to upload it, not to be a permanent DDL location. I want to be able to access it ASAP once uploaded to validate it and send payment. After that if you want I can send the link to you and you can host it, but it looks like it's gonna be one disc at a time rather than the whole thing.

Anyway, nothing is set, it depends on the person.
>>
>>119661086
you should kill yourself, you're already depressed.
>>
>>119684725
Do you know how horribly unreliable it is for uploads over 1GB? Unless it's been seriously overhauled in the last couple years I would never trust it for large files. (Which is likely going to be the case because it's easier for someone to just rip to ISO instead of encoding each video too.)
With a VPS properly configured, whoever finds them could upload directly there through FTP, then you could immediately download them at greater speeds than you'd ever get from Mega.
Once you download them you could set up some other means of distribution but the server would already be able to do all of that, just like mine does with some files I share with /a/.
The hardest part of the whole process is sending the guy a few sentences explaining how to connect to a server via FTP.
Do whatever you want, but this is by far the fastest, most reliable, and most convenient (for you and the downloaders) option given the circumstance.
The only real downside to that is the slight ongoing cost to keep the server running. (I could use mine to get the files to you but I wouldn't host them indefinitely because I need the space.)
>>
>>119685371
True, if the connection is interrupted there can be issues.

I have a server, so I can always make that available if they want it.

Anyway, that's not really the problem, but there's nothing to do now except wait a few days to see if the people who got involved will come back to me.
>>
/a/ is literally saving anime

Who would have thought
>>
>>119683424
Wouldn't most things be digitized anyways at this point? I feel libraries should be striving to digitize absolutely everything they have.
>>
>>119686053
Eh, maybe. Better wait for real progress before assuming it's gonna work.
>>
>>119661326
Don't you know. EVA influenced anime to be good. Haven't you seen the recommendation lists? They all contain anime from 1997-2010. Coincidence?
>>
>>119686053
But we're always saving anime.

To our computers, that is.
>>
Okay I'm about to head out to the library. Stopped raining a while ago, but I had to take a nap during the day due to jetlag from overseas vacation. Gonna dry off my bike and head out.
>>
>>119690149
Alright, cool. If the thread's still up when you get back let us know how it went.
>>
>>119690149
Oh snap, I was about to go to sleep, good to know. I'll stay up for another couple of hours to see.
>>
>>119690378

Oh yeah fuck you're in another country. Sorry about that. Should have just went earlier instead of dying on my bed for nearly the entire day.
>>
>>119690458
Oh not at all, it's not too late here and anyway your health (sleep) is more important. I just hope you can check them out as needed and that they all work without issue, so I can plan for any alternatives if something goes wrong.
>>
Why would the top universities have Japanese animation?
>>
>>119691208
Same reason they keep any kind of foreign film.
>>
File: Harvard_Wreath_Logo_1.svg.png (327KB, 1051x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Harvard_Wreath_Logo_1.svg.png
327KB, 1051x1024px
Harvardalumfag checking in. If Michigan doesn't follow through I can get access to Widener to do this.

I also have a seedbox that I'm willing to donate to this project.

Throwaway contact info: harvardanon369 [at] gmail.com

(Shit, when did 4chan lose the email field? However shall I sage now?)
>>
>>119691695
You're a graduate of Harvard?
What the fuck are you doing here?
Sage got killed too, if you haven't heard the news.
>>
>>119691815
There's actually a good few ivy leaguers here.
They like to shitpost about chinese cartoons, too.
>>
>>119691815
>sage got killed
I thought it just went in options field.
>>
>>119691815
You can still sage, you just type it in "options". And it doesn't change name color either, to stop people from using it as a downvote. Which is fine for me since I automatically sage every post I make as force of habit.
>>
>>119691815
Sage works fine, else no need for options field. It just became invisible because literally 85%+ of sages were newfags using it as downvote equivalent instead of its real purpose.
>>119691695
Already offered my VPS but apparently the guy has his own server but wants to go with something ass backwards instead.
>>
>>119691815
Apparently plotting to raid a library for old public domain animation and actually making it public.

Used to post from the back seat in lecture halls back in 05-06 over on /b/, I swing by occasionally to check out what people are saying about animes that I happen to be watching.

And I haven't, what the fuck moot.
>>
>>119691953
>>119691979
Even if sage is still possible, it's dead.
>>
>>119691890
Pretty much this.

>>119691979
Whew.

Sage.
>>
What a badass. What did you study? Have a job?
>>
>>119660803
ripping is still illegal. But then if Americans does it, nobody can ever do anything about it
>>
>>119692227
Not saying that it's fine because it's public domain, just that it's ridiculous that all these public domain films are nowhere to be found but on a 350,000JPY DVD set.

>>119691998
Please send me an email with how much space you have available on your server and I'll let you know
>>
>>119660803
Too bad my uni is too small for something obscure like that. I'd probably give it a go.
>>
>>119669567
Unrelated, but Zingerman's is bretty good man.
>>
>>119691890
Heck, I'm siting on my butt at Dartmouth right now.
>>
Mods should sticky this thread, so more people can see this, which mean more possible supports that you can get.

Good luck OP with your project!
>>
File: AR32.png (40KB, 1220x330px) Image search: [Google]
AR32.png
40KB, 1220x330px
>>119692516
Man I was trying to get a job in your university, I fucking hate Mass so much. Should have told your IT department to hire me.

Oh also, GET HYPE. Gonna try to pull this off sometime this week.
>>
Great thread. Can you keep us up to date on the status of this somehow OP? Maybe just a blogspot page with the Vol numbers and status, so it's inconspicuous. I'll volunteer to do an interlibrary loan with my university if there's no progress after a while.
>>
>>119692865
Neat! NH is pretty cool, although there's something to be said for living in a big metro area.
>>
>>119692865
Fuck yeah.
>>119693010
Maybe just ghost?
>>
>>119692865
Damn, nice.
There's 12 discs in all though, can you only get one at a time or something?

>>119693010
Just send an email at nihonartanimation at gmail and I'll let you know if we need anyone to do ILLs. I think we're fine for now, but anything can happen.
>>
>>119693010
>>119693144
Here, I'll just update this, since I'll encode it anyway.
http://anonymemoose.blogspot.ca/2015/01/nihon-art-animation-eiga-senshuu.html

Let's say at 50% someone has the disc, and at 75% it's ripped, and at 100% I got it and I know it's complete. I don't want to be too explicit over there.
>>
File: notto.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
notto.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>119661085
Bait, you got me for a second there
>>
>>119692437
Eh, I dunno man. Like yeah it's good, but it's not 14-dollars-for-a-Reuben good, at least not for me. They've got some damn good breads, though.

>>119692619
>mods
>doing anything useful on /a/
forfree.png

This really is a neat thread though. Who would've thought that we'd get students at UCI and Michigan along with a Harvard alum collaborating to rip and upload a rare collection of old Mongolian motion pictures?
>>
>>119693470
Thanks.
>>
About to head into the library at UCI. Checked my phone and it seems ther is someone also working on it. Which ones should I look for so I can still contribute assuming that I am able to upload cleanly.
>>
>>119693761
Try going from the last volume down to the first so you guys don't get the same one. I think that should do it. But if you can only get one at a time get 11 first since 12 has no exclusive content.
>>
>>119693866
Says that he is doing both 1 and 11. Welp.
>>
>>119693761
Michiganfag here; I submitted an ILL request for disc 11 and am still waiting to get word on whether it's gone through. OP put a priority list up earlier in the thread and I think disc 4 was next on the list after 11, so that's a starting point.
>>
>>119693866
Ah sorry, then 9 and 4, how about it?
>>
Never went to college or university, but if i did, what type of animation is there? I have drafted ideas like fixing droughts over the west.
>>
>>119693222
There are 12, I just did the search for the first one.
>>
>>119693896
I'll change the order for sure since they have direct access, I'll let you know by email.

>>119693954
Oh, I thought you had it reserved or something ("7 day loan") and wasn't sure if you knew.
>>
>>119694004
Okay, that works. I'll go ahead and cancel that request for disc 11 since they'll have an easier time getting hold of it.
>>
>>119694129
Ah, alright then. Can I recontact you for backup if something goes wrong and we need people to do ILLs? Not very likely, but just for safety.

>>119693866
If you see this before checking things out, you can get vol. 11 too.
Here's the list of priorities:
>>119674348
>>
>>119694245
Er, meant to respond to
>>119693895
>>119693761
for the second part of the post
>>
>>119694245
Yeah, by all means. It's no real trouble on my end to submit the requests, so if I'm needed I can definitely oblige.
>>
>>119660803
Good to know big anime eyes were still a thing in the 40s.
>>
>>119660803
>implying rich kids will care about your money

find a nignog who has a sports scholarship or a whore who has one for sucking dicks, they always money, the other harvard boys won't even care this
>>
>>119661016
ive seen some pretty old shit
>>
>>119694457
>implying we're all rich
yeah, fuck off. <3~
>>
>>119694650
>punches straight through trees
>rides a pugilist bear
>throws boulders at thunder gods
All that fucking samurai spirit, jesus
>>
>>119694933
Seems like an early gary stu.
>>
Okay so apparently from the UCI library you need to be a grad student to actually take the disc with you out of the library so I am fucked. They do have all 12 volumes available though.

Maybe I can bring in my laptop and image the disk or bring in an external later. Not sure how the library staff will react to that however. Too autistic to directly and confidently ask about their policy or "Can I watch this on my laptop instead?" since the entire media library has TVs and DVD players specifically set up for watching things there. Might be overthinking things though.

I'll go back again tomorrow. I'll keep this thread open and check the catalogue for a new one tomorrow as well if this one does die.
>>
>>119695425
That is dumb as hell.

Give it a try for sure tomorrow, but please, send me an email. I'm not going to make more threads unless there is a real need for it, and it's probably going to die some time during the night.
>>
>>119695425

Portable DVD drive and a mobile device with USB OTG might work. An 8" Windows 8 tablet would work (and is pretty cheap), most have microSD slots so you'll be able to get enough storage too.
>>
>>119695425
Are there private rooms for viewing or not? If not, maybe you can use the excuse that you need to be in a space where there's more privacy or something, and to use your laptop to view it. Otherwise, you can just bring it in.

Hope you can make this work either way, you're close, just one stupid obstacle in the way.
>>
Any Frenchies who know if paris 8 Diderot have DVDs in their library ?

Might as well check but I'm no longer a student there, I changed cursus in private schools.
>>
>>119695841
i say that but I might as well try "la maison du japon" in paris, they have large collection of DVDs.

I'll try them and contact you in the month OP.
>>
>>119695693
There are private viewing rooms. Again, I'll head over tomorrow when I am on campus.

Sent organizer the e-mail just in case.
>>
>>119696246
How much time will you have to do it? It can take a while to rip DVDs, depending on how they were pressed. Although I guess for starters it would be good just to ensure it's doable.
>>
>>119697214
Not quite sure. Will find out tomorrow when I head over.

All I'd need to do is copy them over to somewhere and then give em' to ya, right?
>>
Just letting you guys know you are based as hell for what you are doing, art deserves to be appreciated

Will these be subbed or is that another project for another time?
>>
>>119697308
Would be hard to find someone willing to translate all this shit.

>>119697290
I answered your email, you can upload rips on my server by FTP, but if you prefer something else like MEGA it's not a big deal, just send me links over email in that case.
Is that what you mean? Or do you want to send them DVD copies?
>>
>>119697506
>>119697506
>Would be hard to find someone willing to translate all this shit.

Maybe someday...
>>
>>119697506
Okay. FTP will work fine. I'll just use Filezilla like I used to for one of my buddies' websites.
>>
>>119697308
Thanks for reminding me that Jollyroger is gone. They were a group that would take on something unique like this.

My only suggestion is Live Evil. Though they probably have a load of work, they kind of fit the bill, and I would suggest direct email.
>>
>>119697829
Yeah, Filezilla is good. Just keep files on your PC, I'll set it up tomorrow and when you confirm that you got some volumes ripped I'll send you the username and password.

>>119697931
Alright then, >>119697308 can you take on this endeavor? I'll be way too busy this week between classes and managing rips (+encoding). If you want to be involved then email them and CC me (nihonartanimation @ gmail).
>>
File: piracy.jpg (215KB, 1142x1071px) Image search: [Google]
piracy.jpg
215KB, 1142x1071px
>/a/ being productive and useful

Holy shit.

Even if it's not 100%, it's still important and akin to pic related.
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.