[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I watched a couple of episodes of Space Dandy. And while the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 7

File: space_dandy.jpg (77KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
space_dandy.jpg
77KB, 640x360px
So I watched a couple of episodes of Space Dandy. And while the art is good it substance of the show is lacking. This show feels more like a Cartoon Network toon that an Anime with a compelling story that sucks you in. Does it get better or is it more of the same?
>>
>>118670198
Watched all of it.

It is exactly what you just said.

No, it does not ever get a "story".
>>
>>118670945
Well then there's no point in watching it other a casual viewing? I was looking for something to sink my teeth in and get invested in.
>>
Yep, it's a casual thing. Although I will say this, anyone who passes up on this or drops it because of that specific trait is going to miss out on something unique and that is what the anime industry has needed for a very long time.

Oh well. Your choice.
>>
>>118670198
> Does it get better
No
>>
>>118671268

yeah naw its completely episodic. but some of those episodes (especially in season 2) are really fucking good
>>
>>118671315
Well the artwork and animation is fantastic. But I dont that alone should carry a tv show. Imagine this animation but with a good story?
>>
>>118671487

Watch Redline, and you will get your story
>>
>>118671487
While the story isn't laid out for you with continuity, there is still some character development and interactions that made it worth watching.
>>
>>118671887
>Implying anyone has ever watched Redline for story and not animation
>>
>>118670198
Second season is fucking glorious and everything is well tied together in last ep (which is also great)
>>
File: 1409553139126.webm (2MB, 800x500px)
1409553139126.webm
2MB, 800x500px
It didn't really have a solid story but everyone they got on board to do an episode tried to make a weirder episode than the previous one.

It worked though, This episode was beautiful to watch.
>>
>>118670198

The dog episode mane

The dog episode
>>
Hurry up and get your ass to the 8th episode of the 2nd season. Its honestly one of the best episodes of the year.
>>
Space Dandy is one of those shows that are better watch on a weekly basis as opposed to marathon. Watch them on your spare time and dont rush it. Space Dandy is to be enjoyed not rushed.
>>
>>118670198
It feels episodic but it gets tied together in the last few eps.
>>
Fuck the faggots in here

Yes it does get better, yes it is episodic, yes there is an over arching-plot

It is meant to be enjoyed with a care free attitude, so it is for casual viewing, but it is perfect for what it is

If you want to rush it start at season 2 and watch from there

>A World With No Sadness, Baby best episode
>>
>>118674856
>start at season 2
That is terrible advice. Some of the best episodes are in the first season.
>>
File: 1418572111508.jpg (45KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1418572111508.jpg
45KB, 1280x720px
Space Dandy is unique, and each episode a gem of its own merits.

If you want something serious, you don't want space dandy.

Just go along for the ride, baby.
>>
>>118674946
I said if he wanted to rush it, as I think most of the character development and the over-arching plot come into play in season 2

I fully reccomend watching the whole series, I love every fucking bit of it.
>>
>>118670198

Space Dandy was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b43wL4eBAw
>>
>>118675186
You know, people say this is the worst episode and while I find it one of the weakest I still enjoyed it and got some good laughs
>>
>>118675186
Those subs are terrible.
English dub sang it better too.

>>118675227
I really only like it for Freckle's solo animation. That shit is fantastic. Those muscle shadows on her shoulders and arms are top.
The training montage is good too.
>>
>>118675227

Space Dandy was a fun ride. A lot of memorable episodes and moments. It's guaranteed to make you smile, at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6eGaePdCLE
>>
>>118672090
...what other reasons are there to watch redline?
>>
Can people really not watch something if it doesn't have an overarching story and is episodic?
>>
>>118675570
Because you don't fucking tell a story through episodic means.
>>
>>118675570
People like different things, I guess. To say it's bad because it lacks those things is just complexly retarded.
>>
Best episodes:

Zombie episode
KanaHana episode
Time loop episode
Robot rebellion episode
Death planet episode
Final episode
>>
>>118675647
>complexly
Meant completely.
>>
>>118675570
well, if is fun then, yes
but dandy was dumb as fuck
>>
>>118675570
depends what you want at the time. if i want to watch something with a big story and tons of action, I can not watch Mushishi.

when super chilled out, id much rather watch Mushishi.

if im being a grim/dark hipster i probably cant watch Space dandy. ha
>>
>>118675663
I find nothing wrong with this list.
I really liked the fishing episode, too. Very relaxed with some cool animation in it.
>>
>>118675740
Dandy was fun.
>>
>>118675740
Dandy wasn't fun for you?

>>118675663
>no space race
I probably rewatched that most out of them all.
>>
>>118675570
yeah, it's pretty stupid, some of the best anime out there are episodic
>>
>>118675570
I love the shit out of the episodic format. The Incredible Hulk, Legend of Mana, Samurai Jack, Mushishi, Space Dandy, All of Stephen Kings short stories etc. Doesn't matter what form of media it is I love it.

A LOT of people apparently hate the living shit out of it, I'm almost fully convinced that anybody who intensely dislikes it has never delved deeply into the types of entertainment they enjoy, and just choose to experience it on a shallow level either as a way to pass time or because it's the only hobby they've ever done and don't truly love it anymore, doing it solely because they know no other way to live. Not anything wrong with that, it's just upsetting seeing people get retarded out loud instead of laying back and enjoying their shit.
>>
>>118675789
>>118675789
for me, no
i don't like these type of humor
i prefer something like trigun
>>
>>118670198
Jesus Christ, just finish the god damn show and then form your opinion of it. You people who watch a couple episodes of an anime and then feel the need to ask strangers on the internet if you should watch more are just as bad as recfags.
>>
>>118675932
>for me
Exactly. Don't talk like your opinion is fact.
>>
>>118675917
Episodic has a time and a place and it can be done very well. In fact there are a great many shows (Chaika in recent memory) that I think could have been much better if they were just laid back, 30-minute stories like dandy is
>>
>>118675976
same to u

if u think that dandy was fun it's only ur opinion, and don't make it into a fact
>>
>>118676068
S2 of Chaika SoL when?
>>
>>118676149
Fuck meant S3
>>
>>118675932
I'm trying to wrap my head around how you like Triguns humour but not dandy's

Did you watch any of season 2?

I almost pissed myself laughing in season 2 episode 1
>>
yep, i watched it

and don't think so much on this, cause is just a individual preference
>>
>>118676503
>>118676349
forgot to mark
>>
Episodic anime sucks dick and dandy was not the exception
>>
>>118675917
A lot of people that watch anime are under the mentality that it's all story driven plots because they see some stuff like Naruto and compared it to western cartoons like Simpsons and Family Guy.

Personally I like episodic shows better usually, because it means more work has to go into each episode to make it enjoyable. Unlike what most plot heavy story driven anime do, in which case they'd have a boring exposition episode, and then have a plot twist here or there, and you end up with 3 or 4 actual enjoyable episodes in a 13 ep series. All that keeps you watching is cliffhangers and wondering what will happen next, only a couple of the episodes are actually enjoyable on their own.
>>
>>118670198

one of my friends recommended this
and he says:
>it's even better than cowboy bebop

i don't know him any more
>>
>>118676596
Not to mention if the ending sucks it can retroactively sour the whole thing for you.
>>
>>>/co/
>>
>>118676842
>watching a man fly out of a bdsm Statue of Liberty and get naked
Yeah, I dont think we need to worry about that
>>
>>118670198
>Anime with a compelling story that sucks you in

Not at all defending Space Dandy, but seriously, how many of these actually exist?

Hell, who even watches anime for the story? I just watch it for the characters..
>>
Top 5 episodes:
1. Limbo
2. Plants
3. Dandy x Scarlet
4. Finale
5. Fishing episode

The second season is like a showcase of some utterly amazing animation and direction.
>>
File: there's always tomorrow, baby.png (2MB, 1671x934px) Image search: [Google]
there's always tomorrow, baby.png
2MB, 1671x934px
Space Dandy is my personal AOTY. That being said I would definitely not recommend it to anyone that wants a serious show with a good plot, because it is absolutely neither of those.

>mfw that finale
>>
>>118670198
not all anime has to be a fucking novel series in terms of plot, if you don't like shows that aren't supposed to be taken seriously then watch something else
>>
I think we can all agree that the trial episode was just awful. Space Dandy is the last show that needs bottle episode.
>>
>>118675663
dog episode man never had a show like dandy give me them kinda feels man
>>
>>118676591
man you need to get a sense of taste. sure some are shit but many of them are great
>>
>>118677003
very damn few, but its like >>118676596
said, people get this mentality from shit like naruto but then don't have the ability to think of anime as anything else.
>>
Anime does not mean "super serious mature cartoons"
>>
>>118675917
It's funny that people automatically dislike episodic series because we have a show that shifts away from that format, despite strong evidence of an overarching story from the start, and people start disliking it (see Bahamut).

So we have people that hate shows for being episodic, and others who hate it when it isn't. Honestly I think that people are calling it episodic just as an excuse to criticize it.
>>
Space Dandy was really great.

My favorite episodes were Limbo, Plants, and Daughter.
Limbo was really especially good.
>>
>>118679313
>>118677504
>>118675663
Why does the chameleonian episode never get the love it deserves? That one was fucking great
>>
Just go along for the ride baby
>>
The show is fun to watch, its just fine and dandy baby
>>
>>118678009
Yeah, that and the laugh track episode are the really bad parts of Dandy.
>>
>>118670198
Drop it. It's garbage for teenage boys.
>>
File: e55395.jpg (328KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
e55395.jpg
328KB, 1920x1080px
>>118679467
I'm sorry but S1E5 was best episode hands down. Chameleonian only gets points since he was actually the narrator
>>
File: 1411402132973.gif (3MB, 328x190px) Image search: [Google]
1411402132973.gif
3MB, 328x190px
the finale though. and OST for that matter.
>>
It's a gold mine for sci fi fans.
>>
>>118670198

First episode was like the best episode unfortunately.
>>
>>118682837
The first episode was mediocre as fuck.
Only the second half was any fun, and even then it was more like the second half of the second half.
>>
It's a cartoon. Not everything has to have meaning faggot.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.