[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IS IT WRONG TO TRY AND PICK UP GIRLS IN A DUNGEON?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: IsItWrongToTry-200x300.jpg (24KB, 200x300px) Image search: [Google]
IsItWrongToTry-200x300.jpg
24KB, 200x300px
Why do official translation suck so much compared to fantranslations?
http://www.yenpress.com/read-an-excerpt-from-is-it-wrong-to-try-and-pick-up-girls-in-a-dungeon/
>>
>>117103326
>Why do official translation suck so much compared to fantranslations?
Because scanlators stopped giving a shit about official releases.
>>
>>117103326
>Then sometimes I’d go to the local watering hole to boast about my day’s adventures to the cute barmaids, make some new allies.
>local watering hole
Isn't this just a well or am I being illiterate here?

I think translation is passable though.
>>
>>117103607
It's a colloquialism for bar.
>>
>>117103737
>colloquialism
For that country? I've lived on east and west coast in US and nobody ever called it that, ever.
>>
>>117103788
Have you talked to people?
>>
>>117103904
Yeah in NYC, Cambridge, LA, and SF.

What backwater place you lived in?
>>
>>117103788
It's not as common now as it was even 10 years ago. You mostly would see it used in old westerns. It was incorporated into the common language but has fallen into disuse. Which makes me think you're about 16 and shouldn't be here.
>>
>>117103326
I thought YP's TL of AW was quite good. I'm looking forward to picking up the first few Index novels so I can read them in a decipherable format instead of that mess that's on BT.

>>117104162
Not him but you'd be surprised what sort of colloquialisms people can fly by in life without ever hearing. I once told me friend I was "shooting the shit" and he had no idea what I was on about.
>>
>>117103326
I don't know what the fan translation is like for this particular series, but I do know that it's better than the fan translations of every LN I tried so far. For some reason they're all translated by people from Hong Kong or something.
>>
>art by Yasuda
unf
>>
>>117105339
Some people translate from chinese cause they don't know japanese.Better than nothing.
>>
>>117105453
I meant that the English in those translations is so bad that it's unreadable.
>>
>>117105339
http://solitarytranslation.wordpress.com/light-novel-translation/dungeon-ni-deai-wo-motomeru-no-wa-machigatteiru-darou-ka/volume-1/prologue/

Here's the fan version of the same prologue for comparison.
>>
>>117105453
It helps that this one has official Taiwan version, which is better than fan translation of a fan translation that happens with some other ones.
>>
File: Covers.jpg (1MB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Covers.jpg
1MB, 1400x1000px
>>117105382
I think this series got lucky with the artists.
>>
>>117103788
You have to be 18 to post here. To not have heard a bar referred to as a watering hole is just not believable and 18+ is just not believable.
>>
>>117104162
>>117105833
I am honestly curious what regions you guys lived in. I've never heard of that term. We just say the bar's name when we want to go somewhere.
>inb4goingtobarsnotallowedtoposthere
>>
>reading any translations

How's the series by the way?
>>
For what reason would anyone call a bar "watering hole"? Sounds like hipsters being pretentious
>>
>>117105981
Compare to what? By itself the story reads like a Jump story sliced with harem hijinks.
>>
>>117105974
I'm the first anon you asked.
I didn't answer because I learned all my English on the internet and via movies and books, so I don't know where what words come from. I often run into this problem.
>>
>>117106125
In general.

It's very hard to find worthwhile LNs nowadays. Reading a synopsis makes every title sound generc as fuck and reviews are mixed almost every time with some people loving it and some saying it's generic.

So finding something especially good is almost impossible unless you get direct recommendation. Everything seems to fall into the "okay if you want to waste some time" category.
>>
>>117106224
I'd say a 7.5/10. It is good , with MC putting a lot of effort to get what he wants and nice fights.Author may be good with foreshadowing if a certain theory proves true. Said this don't expect a masterpiece.
>>
>>117106224
For me with LNs, if I don't want to waste my time, I just choose titles from four criteria:
1) Aggregate blog recommendations; these people usually read way more than I do and if you think the blogger's taste fits you then go there.
2) Sales number trends (not overall), despite /a/ going normalfag shit taste, there are points in these that usual appeal to you. Stuff like FMP:Another that start with crazy numbers and just massive declines probably tells you how interesting the story gets.
3) Award winners. This has stopped meaning much with grand awards are passed out every year, but GA has only ever had one, and that's DanMachi.
4) Authors you already know. Nuff said.

Besides #4, DanMachi fits the first three.
>>
>>117106041
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=etymology+of+watering+hole
>>
Light novels are for otaku by otaku of course you're rarely gonna find one that's worth reading let alone watching
>>
>>117106224
Kawakami stuff is the most consistently written translated stuff we have, doesn't hurt that the translator is a fucking machine.
>>
>>117106478
Unless you happen to have their shit taste, then yeah it's gonna be hard to find one that isn't just for killing time.
>>
>>117106473
I'm talking about its usage nowadays, which is what some anons are implying with their "you must be underage and haven't talked to people"
>>
>>117106224
Oregairu's a nice read. Aside from the absurd amount of meme shitposting, you get some good discussions here and there.
>>
File: 1415371932766.jpg (101KB, 663x666px) Image search: [Google]
1415371932766.jpg
101KB, 663x666px
>>117103326
>using the localized name
>ever
>>
>>117106873
>getting this mad
>>
>>117106957
YP translator pls go.
>>
harem end is best, but if not happen, then hestia should win
>>
YP's target audience is america
>>
>>117107541
America in democratic regions because republican rednecks will never read LNs, and nobody in democratic regions (mostly coastal areas) even understand their terrible localizations.
>>
File: 51q6buZXC1L.jpg (40KB, 500x286px) Image search: [Google]
51q6buZXC1L.jpg
40KB, 500x286px
>>117107490
>hestia should win
Keep dreaming Hestia.
>>
>>117107701
Soft goddess is soft
>>
>>117103939
I've also been all around the coast and have heard of the term. That is NYC, LA (state), Texas, and California. This was already stated but the term isn't in use today outside of western movies and literature. I'm not too sure where I came across it personally but it isn't a terrible colloquialism just because you weren't aware of it. Should they have used it in this particular instance? I don't know, I'm not a translator.
>>
>>117107490
>Harem end
>Modern Japanese harem series
They're economically incapable of having a harem end in any moderately popular series. Having only the tsundere or yamato nadeshiko win reinforces the typical market buying behavior of otaku and leads to increased sales. It also creates a market for spinoff material and series for other popular girls, as well as NTR doujin material for the losing girls.

If the series went with a harem end, those otaku who support the main girl as their waifu would feel burned and not want to purchase the author's works again, and would protest on the internet that it was terrible, possibly even writing bad Amazon reviews that can impact how future potential readers view the series. It would also kill off the possibility of spin-offs and adaptations, since nobody else would want to be associated with an economic failure of a series.

Otaku just don't want harem ends.
>>
>>117108091
>Watering Hole
Is actually very common in writing, not so much in spoken word. I see it sued often in the modern day when people describe towns or specific neighborhoods. And in terms of fiction, it's actually used outside of Westerns for, admittedly, period novels set in the first half of the 20th Century.
>>
File: 1229153601677.jpg (56KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1229153601677.jpg
56KB, 1280x720px
It's quite above average overall except the climax of volume three I think I actually had an orgasm reading that.
>>
>>117107490
Aren't multiple endings popular nowadays?
>>
>>117108314

From reviews volume 5 and volume 6 end up being as good or better then volume 3 was. Lota of hot bpooded action.

The action scenes in the books are nicely written.
>>
>>117110062
I think I know one book that did this only.
>>
>>117105526
Feed a sentence in one language through two different languages in a row in google translate, and see if it still makes sense afterwards
>>
So this is a harem like Trinity Seven? I hope at least it's only like 3 or 4 girls. any higher then that and it becomes ridiculously shallow because they will all be fighting for screentime and naturally some will be ignored in favor of others.
>>
>>117111480
It's a harem except the guy has only shown interest in one person, but two of the heroines are poster girls.
>>
I quite like this series especially vol 3 with the minotaur fight, goosebumps while reading that shit
>>
>>117103326
Yea, the chinese translation's so much better, they're up to the end of volume 5.

Am reading the manga too. Great fucking series. This should get its own anime release. This and more onii-sama.
>>
>>117112502
Anime got announced like a month ago.
>>
>>117112502
Oniisama's completely opposite of this series.
>>
>>117112943
I think he just happens to like both and wants some/more animated material. I don't think he's trying to say they're the same.
>>
>>117106224
I've read LNs from way before they were popular in the West 'cause my parents have a collection of the old ones, so the clichè stuff and generic story is just the same now and then.

I'd say, always try to read everything you can despite your tastes. That always makes it interesting reading LNs and just in case you can find something worth your devotion.

As for an example, I always thought people here were overreacting with Mushoku Tensei threads, and had even thought it was the same generic plot when the MC is sent to a different place, and that place has the elements of a RPG/otaku world always seen. I did give a try and while at first it has a rather vulgar writing, as the story continues I was dragged by the complex of it and how it is played with the POVs and the general plot.
So yeah, try to read them and judge them yourself.
>>
>>117110232
iirc there are at least two: Denpa Onna and Bento
>>
>>117108121
Though you are right in a sense, you obviously do not understand the glory of Harem in Mushoku Tensei
>>
>>117108121
>>117114738
I think harems happen quite frequently in female oriented LNs.
>>
>>117106499
Wait, js06 is a machine?
What machine does he use? The quality beats every machine translation I've ever seen.
>>
>>117116635
jso6 is the machine, he's a robot.
>>
>>117116635
You're hilarious anon.
>>
>>117106461
Which foreshadowing???
>>
Will the support girl betray the MC?
>>
Why is hobbit loli an even bigger shit than Manami and Houki?
>>
>>117118869

Read the second volume and figure it out, it's not hard unless you have problems using a mouse and keeping your eyes on a monitor screen.
>>
>>117119059
I'll probably download the volumes and read them later just to satisfy my curiosity. Though i really enjoy the manga art, so i wished that they could release chapters more frequently.
>>
>>117119159

Translations are up to volume 4 chapter 3, so I don't really understand why you haven't read them yet.

Go binge read them and stop dawdling around this dying thread.
>>
>>117119344
Because im busy with real life stuff
>>
>>117119389

Tell them to fuck off and properly read your chinese cartoon books. I demand it.
>>
>>117103326
Disgusting localization is disgusting. Yen Press is always shit in speed and translation.
>>
>>117103326
It's not horrible, but its not that good either.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.