[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does nearly all anime CG looks like shit when Arc System

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: guilty.jpg (256KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
guilty.jpg
256KB, 1280x720px
Why does nearly all anime CG looks like shit when Arc System Works, a small Japanese video game dev, can make CG look fucking amazing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5gPKzlyqw&list=UUlqUSY9SshvuFja6yNXp4nQ

Come on, don't tell me anime studios have less funds than a fucking fighting game dev.
>>
They do
>>
>>>/v/
>>
The main issue with this statement is that you have to remember that while a game might have a roster of say 20 characters most anime have a main cast of say 10 and a supporting cast and background characters that can well hit 100. All of which have to be modeled animated and such. Add in the fact you must do full 3d environments for every specific shot and you have a massive undertaking.

By comparison making 20 characters have 20 unique movements each is not a huge job.
>>
You'd be surprised how expensive it is to make anime, even without exorbitant amounts of CGI, most of which is never made back.
>>
You act like they can just shit out the money to make this crap.
>>
>>114363841
>Implying that /v/ likes anything other than westernshit
>>
File: 014.jpg (162KB, 931x524px) Image search: [Google]
014.jpg
162KB, 931x524px
>>114363717
Well, anon, if I recall correctly, GG Xrd had around twenty main devs, but a huge amount of contractors working with them. What makes Xrd look good isn't just the artists: it's the shaders. The shaders are written by programmers and technical artists, which a traditional animation studio would have less of, compared to a video game studio. (Unless they're already 3D animators like in the West.) Programmers and TDs generally get paid more than regular artists (at least in the US; not sure about Japan's wages, but in the US they make minimum $60k) which means that animation studios might not be able to afford them.

Read this if you want to learn more about Xrd's production: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2099538&postcount=229
>>
>>114363717
Because it takes a fucking ton of money and manpower to make CGI look good, not to mention experience. GG Xrd had the time and money to do it. Most anime studios do not.
>>
>>114363717
It's the future of animation whether anyone here likes it or not. It'll be cheaper to produce and animate once the cel-shading gets even better. It'll reach the point you can't tell it apart from hand drawn
>>
It's a combination of flashy shaders and making lots of miniscule adjustments to individual frames to replicate the deformations you get through anime.

There's quite a complex procedure with it and a ridiculous number of things where areas have multiple rigs, multiple models, etc etc.

In short, what they're doing is very complex and CG is, usually, a cost-saving system.
>>
File: 023.jpg (58KB, 529x529px) Image search: [Google]
023.jpg
58KB, 529x529px
>>114367145
I doubt many people will care, but
http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140714079/screenshot.html?num=020
and http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121144 are pretty decent breakdowns of how it all works together in the game to produce the effect they get.

It'll be pretty interesting to see where things go when they're targeting primarily the PS4, rather than PS3+.
>>
>>114367674
I am still worried it will look like shit on the PS3. But there is no way I am getting a PS4 and then getting it on the PS4. When I can't even play the game online without PS+ on the PS4.
>>
>>114368130
57 and 58 in the 4gamer gallery is probably the best thing to look at regarding that, since it's with/without post effects. I'd imagine along with resolution that'd be the only major difference.
>>
>>114367674
I'm sure there's someone at Orange/Sanzigen who saw this and will reproduce it for our anime, it's just a matter of time at this point.
>>
Since people usually shit on anime CG, what's everyone's favorite implementation of it?
I liked the CG for the Jojo openings.
>>
>>114368580
Almost undoubtedly. I think the only flashy method I've seen Sanzigen apply other than their fancy tuned shader is dynamic 'line-width' on the outlines. While they do already animate by hand on a per-frame basis with reduced frames, it's pretty clear that they aren't quite putting the same amount of detail into the model manipulation as they could be.

Which for the most part is what makes 3D in anime stick out, if it's well rendered it's usually extremely rigid whereas illustrated work is exaggerated.

As for the tricks to get the shader just right even in realtime, I'd imagine that those are just too costly as opposed to 'lol slap pencil+ on it and render it' since a lot of it is also driven through the character's construction which makes the workload even higher.
>>
>>114368765
Berserker in Fate/Zero and the Angels in Rebuild come to mind.
>>
File: guiltygear1.webm (3MB, 1280x720px)
guiltygear1.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
CGI anime with this quality, when?
>>
>>114369135
>As for the tricks to get the shader just right even in realtime, I'd imagine that those are just too costly as opposed to 'lol slap pencil+ on it and render it' since a lot of it is also driven through the character's construction which makes the workload even higher.

Fuck you're right, they can't do that for every single objects
Still I hope they find an easier way someday. Same for the animation
>While they do already animate by hand on a per-frame basis with reduced frames
I'm not sure about that, I feel like the only time anyone did this was Imaishi with Sanzigen on Black Rock Shooter. This was really something else and they never made anything better since then because they don't pick the frames anymore

Then there's Orange who use great shaders but also don't hide the fact that it's CG at all, I think this approac work better for now
>>
>>114363717
Unreal Engine & no weekly time constraints
>>
>>114363717
>Why does nearly all anime CG looks like shit
It hasn't for a while now.
Some people dislike CG regardless of quality and will bitch even if it is implemented well.
>>114368765
PreCure EDs have some pretty amazing CG.
>>
>>114369445
RWBY looks just as good as that, if not better
>>
File: 1365284083634.gif (3MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
1365284083634.gif
3MB, 444x250px
>>114363717
>Come on, don't tell me anime studios have less funds than a fucking fighting game dev.

That is exactly the case.

>>114368765
Mecha shows.
>>
>>114368765
>>114369338
Arpeggio had god models, but they were animated pretty badly.
CG that I liked were VVV and Majestic Prince, and I'm one of those "I'll watch it only if the macha is drawn" guys.
>>
Guilty Gear anime, fucking when?
>>
>>114369890
>RWBY
get the fuck out
>>
>>114369786
Most of what I'm basing this on is looking at their work on BRS, largely because they were pretty transparent with it.
Either way, it's a technique that they managed to get looking decent, if pretty obvious at times. I'd imagine pure cost is the reason they'd avoid that, which also cripples what you can do through deformation.

>>114369890
RWBY looks like it's made in fucking 3D Custom Girl.
>>
File: Lala.webm (3MB, 1280x720px)
Lala.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>114368765
http://youtu.be/KGp9mb9OiQ0

>>114369865
Toei does a good job with most of those endings.
The one from the latest DX movie was pretty cool.
I'm not sure how I feel about them doing more and more action scenes in CG with every new movie though.
Maybe they're testing the waters for a full CG precure movie.
>>
>>114370003
While we wait, a present for you
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24556314
>>
File: 1411500311429.png (31KB, 191x196px) Image search: [Google]
1411500311429.png
31KB, 191x196px
>>114370003

Maybe one day who knows Blazblue got a shit anime so why not Guilty Gear but if they do one I want Daisuke Ishiwatari for the soundtrack othersiwe it will be shit.

Ha who I am kidding fucking never.
>>
>Still no GG Xtra manga translation.
>>
>>114370141
shit, its been removed
>>
>>114369890
Are you blind?
>>
>>114369890

lol, now you will tell me you can make a Disney movie with Blender
>>
CG anime these days can look pretty decent.
>>
>>114370711
That look horrible.
>>
>>114370841
I don't even know how this got made.
>>
>>114370841
And its not moving.
>>
I'm hyped for Gen's new anime.
>>
>>114370841

you mean real?

no oversized eyes or head?
>>
Because a game reuses the same sprite animations over and over again and plenty of effort can be put into making them ahead of time without having to make new content on the fly. It is essentially entirely comprised of stock footage, something that most anime studios do put a lot more effort into.
>>
>>114363717
>small
Arc Sys might not be Capcom but they aren't exactly puny.
>>
>>114371015
No, I mean exactly what a wrote, that look horrible.
>>
>>114370430
Well now I am curious. Don't leave me hanging like that.
>>
>>114371028
Consider that they also are Sega now.
>>114370938
Urobuchi's stuff is completely shit, and its impossible not to notice at this point. only an idiot could still get hype for his stuff. his best works are madoka and F/Z, and they're on another level from the rest of his crap because they've been both heavily readjusted by the staff.
>>
>>114371445
ASW is owned by Sega?
>>
>>114371324
there was an Esphelt bgm here. but now its gone
>>
>>114371491
The reverse
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.