[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw there will never be a good scary anime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: duberman.jpg (27KB, 722x267px) Image search: [Google]
duberman.jpg
27KB, 722x267px
>tfw there will never be a good scary anime
>>
I think there is definitely potential. As someone who never gets frightened from Western horror, I have found some anime scenes to be scary as fuck, creepy, startling etc even when the anime they were in weren't of that genre. Some were even comedy.
>>
>>112740752
what western horror have you watched, you gigantic pleb

Have you watched 28 days/weeks?

And if you have then I would watch Irreversible for more patrician crap
>>
>>112740752
Oh I see, I didnt finish reading your last sentence. So you probably have autism or something, get that fixed before seeing irreversible
>>
good

horror is shit anyway
>>
>>112741351
>>
It's nearly impossible to make a cartoon scary, unless you're female.
>>
What's Silent Hill 3?
>>
>>112741396
Shit can still be unerving
>>
>>112741447
Yeah with the shit animation and voice acting.
>>
Cool rec thread.

Ayakashi BakeNeko & Mononoke
First four episodes of Higurashi
>>
Anima can't be scary, just like 2D guro and scat can't be disgusting cause it's a drawing.
>>
Yami Shibai season 1
>>
>>112740929
Was 28 days supposed to be scary? Zombies never really struck me as horror.
>>
Then why are there so many scary manga? Black and white, no sound.
>>
>>112741567
Black and white drawings are inherently scarier
>>
File: Ghost_Hound_Creepy.gif (659KB, 488x275px) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_Hound_Creepy.gif
659KB, 488x275px
Early on, Ghost Hound was pretty creepy, like when they were exploring the old hospital or when the kids saw the black ghost thing get hit by a truck over and over.

But that all went away after the kids figured out astral projection.
>>
Akira
>>
>>112740576
The first arc of Bakeneko was pretty frightening.
>>
>>112741601
You can't even color blood. Rationalize it all you want.
>>
>>112741741
Black blood looks inherently scarier
>>
>>112741528
Season 2 has its moments as well.
>>
File: boogiepop-phantom-screenshot-05.jpg (29KB, 600x442px) Image search: [Google]
boogiepop-phantom-screenshot-05.jpg
29KB, 600x442px
Boogiepop Phantom was kind of creepy

>>112741621
I loved Ghost hound, but yeah I agree it lost all is creepy atmosphere when they introduced the astral projection.
>>
>>112740929
>>112740950

>western horror

>names a drama

Fucking plebs gunna pleb.
>>
>>112740576
It's not exactly horror, but anime like Madoka and Brynhildr where people's very lives are on the stake if they don't consume a limited substance always freaks me out. Much more than, say, outright "horror" anime like Shiki.
>>
The moment 'scary' anime decides to push for a different style to compliment the subject matter is the moment there are at least decent horror anime.

Yami shibai kinda had this going on up until they ran out of horror
>>
>>112740929
>Irreversible
>horror
Intense violence doesn't equal horror. Gaspar Noe is a fucking hack and should kill himself ot of film.
>>
ITT: people recommend thrillers not horror
>>
>>112742235
The Borderlands.
>>
Horror is quite difficult to get right and a 20 minute episode format just doesn't work, it only causes ridiculous pacing issues.
>>
>>112741741
>needing blood
Proper horror doesn't need to rely on gore.
>>
The first arc/chapter/whatever one would call it of the higurashi adaption was quite unsettling.
>>
>>112743825

I was going to say the same. Higurashi's first season was pretty damn spooky and disturbing.
>needles in the meatballs

Fuck.
>>
>>112741547
There are no zombies in 28 days later, just very angry people.
>>
Nightmare fuel
>>
>>112740576
>meet dog
>>
Western horror tends to rely on excessive gore and jumpscares too much. The best type of horror is the truly unnerving kind, the kind that makes you feel that everything is wrong and it's not going to get better.
I think one of the best ways to make a horror like this is by making the viewer feel completely out of their depth. ODDSAC and Lain have made me feel far more unnerved and anxious in the past than any big budget Western horror could.
>>
Horror is a very difficult genre to write well. There's been a few anime shows which have come close or been going in the right direction, but when they do trip up it seems to be from the desire to explain and categorize everything and make everything neat for the viewer later on.
>>
File: 1362506992909.jpg (39KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1362506992909.jpg
39KB, 480x480px
>>112744580
>>
File: Silent Feel.png (52KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Silent Feel.png
52KB, 500x500px
>tfw no Silent Hill anime

Would probably suck though and sell badly since no one cares about it.
>>
File: 1408246551184.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1408246551184.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>112745062
>mfw when a mermaid romcom has done one of the most scary chapters in anime.
>>
File: NJSXwif.gif (983KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
NJSXwif.gif
983KB, 500x271px
With enough budget I think an abstract style horror could be very unsettling. They aren't really restricted with this medium.
>>
The latest episode of Space Dandy would've decently worked as surreal horror, if they had cut Limbo.
>>
>>112742157
gaspard noe never said he made a horror film
>>
>>112744247
>There are no zombies
>just very angry people.
Reminds me of /a/.
>>
>>112745692
I found Another genuinely creepy in the concept and some of the early episodes.
>>
Did everyone miss the shitstorms when the Corpse Party OVAs were released?
>>
Like video games horror doesn't really work for manga and anime.
>>
>>112747516
Horror can be made work in videogames, but the interactivity always gives the player a way to deal.
Also jumpscares are fucking pathetic.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.