[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 507
Thread images: 45

I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics, etc; compared to every other country. Especially for such a small place, which has only been relatively modern since the last 100 or so years. Is there some kind of sociopolitical aspect that I'm unaware of? Please enlighten me /a/.
>>
File: L.jpg (19KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
L.jpg
19KB, 800x600px
>>112267778
posting this question here because I don't want to start a thread, but

Isn't it plausible that Kira could have had a google alert for video streams and blog posts that mentioned "Kira/Heartattack News"?
>>
disney and comics companies, killed the creativity in the west
>>
>>112268163
>disney
I'm pretty sure they're the ones who popularized animation after the silent film era.

>comics companies
Be more specific?
>>
Comics are bigger in Japan because they spend a lot of their time on trains. It is just a lot more convenient to have hobbies that can be done on the train there. Anime is pretty much dogshit.
>>
>>112267778

I don't think drawn Japanese media is superior, it just fits my tastes more.

>>112267951

What the fuck are you going on about? How would that have been of value to him?
>>
America nuked their domestic comics industry by trying to make them all family friendly at some point in the 20th century. There was a vibrant comics scene pre-ban, then they censored everything and it died. That's basically it.
>>
>>112268361
>What the fuck are you going on about? How would that have been of value to him?
would have explained how he killed Lind Taylor without actually being in Japan.
>>
>>112267778
>I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics, etc; compared to every other country.
It doesn't, it just produces more of it.

The 11's are more superficial so the idea of representing people with drawings seems more acceptable to them. The superficiality is the flipside of the focus on aesthetics.
>>
>>112267778
>implying 98% of manga can even hold a candle to stuff like The Sandman
>>112268307
>Anime is pretty much dogshit
This. They just let go of the attention span of an intelligent human being a little earlier than the rest of us idiots.
>>
>Large population
>style is distinct, despite variety
>foreign audiences differentiate anime from other animation industries
>has a Disney-tier figurehead in Miyazaki, other countries like France do not
>most of what other countries have to offer simply flies under the radar, at least internationally
>>
>>112267778
>Japan is first world suffering
>Japan create escape from first world suffering
>They call it Anime and Manga
And that's how moe was born.
>>
File: kuifje_2.jpg (34KB, 300x282px) Image search: [Google]
kuifje_2.jpg
34KB, 300x282px
Because our comics don't pander to sexually frustrated virgins.
>>
>>112267778
>small place
>population of 130 million
>>
>>112267778
I have a sneaking suspicion that all japanese people are at least slightly autistic

the good kind of autism that doesn't actually detract from your intelligence at all (in some cases even improving it) but makes it so they often form unusual dedication to, or can find meaning and happiness in, arbitrary things
>>
Maybe (Barring some shit like GTO) Japs have the ball to end their comic. American comic has numerous reboot, spinoff, new writer/artis, to the point that some shit like batman/superman is still being produced nowadays. They have really overstayed their welcome. Of course there are some manga that are like this too, but the propotion is way smaller. Many anon hates it when their favorite manga are cancelled by jump/others but this keep shit relatively fresh.

IIRC in Japan the mangaka have some copyright on their work. In the state, DC/Marvel and other comic book companies held full or most right, thats why they can keep rebooting and assigning new writers/artist.

The same shit could possibly happens to Japan when they sign the TPP. Thanks Obama.
>>
>>112268449

L was gambling on him not using such refined methods yet, and that's that.
>>
>>112267778
>Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics, etc; compared to every other country.
How much of a fucking weaboo can you be?
>>
>>112269001
>really shitty grammar, shitty spelling, shitty memes.
You're typing like a retard, please stop posting.
>>
>>112268163

You mean the jews.
>>
>>112267778
>greatest
It's still shit, it just happens that more of it panders to adults (or manchildren at the very least) than in the rest of the world. Plus they don't drag shit on and on to milk the cash cow dry like the rest of the world does, hence us still clamoring for Haruhi S3 rather than S27 where they're all in their thirties or something by that point and meeting up in the two hours of free time they get per week out of the soul-draining Japanese work schedule.
>>
>>112269132
Feel free to name some great works from outside of America.
>>
>>112267778
But the greatest ones are made in Europe, both comics and animated movies
>>
>>112269599
Anything by Alan Moore.
>>
>>112267778
Because their movie industry is shit and they don't have the budget or the workforce to produce big live action movies with decent CG, explosions, special effects and the like. So they stuck with anime and it grew.

As for manga, this anon pretty much answered it.>>112268307

It doesn't help that Japan's a very pressuring, constricted, expensive and depressing place to live either.
>>
>>112267778

>Japan
>greatest animation

If by greatest you mean cheapest, and laziest, sure.
>>
>>112269441
>Plus they don't drag shit on and on to milk the cash cow dry

Depends entirely on the popularity of a series.

Have you ever read Detective Conan?
>>
>>112269822

>Have you ever read Detective Conan?

I'm still reading Naruto and Bleach even though they're shit because I have to finish everything. I feel sorry for the people that started Detective Conan and have the same habit.
>>
>>112269599
All of Möbius' work, just for starters.
>>
>>112269599
see >>112269731
Neil Gaiman. Hergé. Asterix.
>>
>>112268163
You know disney inspired a lot of japanese animators, right?
>>
File: c95e49_4704585.jpg (311KB, 1092x2188px) Image search: [Google]
c95e49_4704585.jpg
311KB, 1092x2188px
>>112267778
I guess it's a combination of the isolation of being an island nation and the radiation.

I mean look at the British, those fucks are weird as fuck.
>>
>>112268163
I believe he's talking about bullshit copyright laws ushered in by those companies, and the way they destroy competition in the animation/comic industry and monopolize everything
I also blame cable networks for doing similarly retarded and greedy shit
basically art was ruined by jews
no wonder hitler wanted to steal all that art from them
>>
>>112269001

Blame the retards who didn't get the message Alan Moore was trying to get across and missing the point completely.
>>
Read up on Seduction of the Innocent and the Comics Code. Anything interesting in American comics died with EC. They moved away from it eventually, but the damage had been done.

I've heard there are good Franco-Belgian comics, but I can't read frogspeak and nothing but Asterix and the Smurfs gets translated.
>>
japanese manga, visual novels and light novels are made by the common idiot, and by dozens of them.

meanwhile in the west the entertainment industry is so professional and capitalistic that it pretty much went to shit, because they can't try new stuff in fear of failing and losing shitloads of money
japan entertainment industry is literally communism
>>
>>112269806

Shit societies produce the best art, and so much of great art is a reaction against the problems of the time.

So long as the government doesn't go full censorship, anyway.
>>
>>112268398
Yep. For anyone interested, read the book titled "The Ten Cent Plague". It goes over everything and explains why silver screen movies were shit too.
>>
>>112270568
Being trapped on an island and knowing that everyone not on the island hates you will drive you insane.

That's why both Britain and Japan are full of quirky shit that nobody understands. And they both share habits like driving on the left hand side of the road, so that you could attack the person coming the opposite way with your strong hand, should you need to.
>>
Well for one thing creators can have their shows air to the end unlike murrica. As others have said the setting really helps with interest. We don't have many trains in murrica while in japan it's far more common so they have some time to casually read manga. Mobile games and social media are a more popular way of spending time here, although mobile games are also popular in japan for similar reasons. Also I'd say it's up to companies too. Here we mostly have the big 2 and indie, while in japan there's tons of magazines publishing many manga weekly and monthly. And while there may be many who wish to be animators currently you're limited to the web or a few major channels, and let's just say those channels prefer the highest ratings over varied and quality content.
>>
>>112271184
So the main problem is that in the west the industry is centralized in few people who have had success driving it for a long time and through many things don't allow new blood that deviates from their own vision to push the industry forward meanwhile in Japan the competition is not as harsh and has been more accepting of new and different ideas which keep it fresh?

I think another important fact is that Japan pretty much doesn't give a fuck besides censorship on the content of manga and its fans but in the west comic fans have always been stigmatized and censorship is in the air, making it harder to invest in or pursue a career in said industry.
>>
>>112271427
Are you trolling or just retarded?
>>
>>112267778

They are superior. West is shit.

There sonny, suddenly all things make sense now don't they? Don't thakn me.
>>
File: 1394045234571.gif (710KB, 196x125px) Image search: [Google]
1394045234571.gif
710KB, 196x125px
>>112271427
>And they both share habits like driving on the left hand side of the road, so that you could attack the person coming the opposite way with your strong hand, should you need to.
>>
>>112268477

You got that backwards though. Superficiality comes in the form of showing disgusting meatbags as "true" representations for the purity that is fiction, thinking everything third-dimensional (as in: actual actors or people) can give it credit.
>>
>>112268772

What is not being autistic? A socialite? A normalfag? Please enlighten me.
>>
>>112271930
umm considering that I described what I meant by autistic in the post it should be pretty obvious
>>
The amerifatshit is strong in this thread.
>>
>>112267778
>Especially for such a small place
After the United States Japan actually has the largest population of all developed countries by far. That's also why they're still economy #3 in the world even though they pretty much stagnated for two decades.
>>
>>112272097

Its population is projected to shrink by 1/5 or more in 30 or 40 years which is pretty shocking no matter how you look at it.
>>
Strong culture of fiction and the post-war boom.
>>
File: laststrip.png (467KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
laststrip.png
467KB, 800x552px
>>112267778
>greatest animation, comics

Calvin & Hobbes alone beats 99.9% of Japanese fiction.
>>
The west got lazy and now all Cartoons are cheap 3D animation that looks like ass unless it is a pixar film.
>>
Sure is weeb in this thread
>>
>>112272464
It's funny because Dreamworks and sometime Blue Sky has technically better CG
>>
>>112269441
>. Plus they don't drag shit on and on to milk the cash cow dry

Tell that to shit like Doraemon, Sazae-san, Shin chan and Hokuto no Ken
>>
>>112272553
True but but the last movies from them I enjoyed was Shrek and Ice age which were milked to oblivion
>>
blame christian.
>>
File: 1405681259416.jpg (126KB, 815x980px) Image search: [Google]
1405681259416.jpg
126KB, 815x980px
>>112272553
>>
File: Shitposting kitty.gif (33KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Shitposting kitty.gif
33KB, 250x250px
>>112272776
>Judging a book by its cover
>>
>>112272816
Nigga are you really gonna try and argue that Dreamworks isn't utter shit?
>>
>>112272857
No because Pixar is equally shallow
>>
>>112272816
They're all shit except for Ants and SHREK
>>
>>112272464
I hate cg
so much
>>
File: 1403854438216.jpg (54KB, 530x577px) Image search: [Google]
1403854438216.jpg
54KB, 530x577px
>>112272961
>>
>>112267778
For me it just comes down to a matter of demographics and animation.

Animation in the west seems to be targeted at actual children instead of fat autistic losers, so it's easier for us to like anime since we're all fat autistic losers.

Also 3D sucks dick, and for whatever reason everything from the western hemispheres uses it so everything looks like garbage.
>>
>>112272961
>M-muh childhood
>>
>>112273071
>Animation in the west seems to be targeted at actual children instead of fat autistic losers,

It's the same in Japan, the mainstream society still recognizes anime as shit for social rejects and losers.
>>
>>112272439
Aren't your nostalgia goggles a bit tight there old buddy?
>>
>>112267778

Their continued isolationism created a very different breed of content compared to the one consumed in most of the western world while also being of a refinement only a industry on a very developed country could achieve, people from overseas are attracted to that difference of something they see as strange or alien and can't normally experiment on their habitual culture.
>>
Saying Japan makes the best cartoons and manga is not being a weeaboo. It is just telling the truth. There are plenty of Chinese people that really dislike Japan but that agree with that.

Every country has areas where they are strong at.
Germans are good at making cars, beer, etc
French are good with wine.
Americans are the best in economics.
Swedes are good in being politically correct.

And so on.
>>
The west had very, very tight censorship guidelines for their comic books for a very long time.

I;m talking shit like you weren't allowed to show police offers being subject to violence. You weren't allowed to depict crime of any fashion (even the bad guys), the good guys HAD to be representatives of the state and embody certain social moral standards, etc.

The manga industry has been able to grow in its own creatively diverse direction because it;s been subject to different standards of censorship than in the west, where draconian moral guidelines basically stagnated the industry for 50 years.
>>
>>112274595
Capeshit can die in a fire, sure, but Franco-belgian comics are far better on average than manga. Japan is the "best" at them only because they produce fuuuuckloads of it.
>>
>>112274724
>Franco-belgian comics

Overrated. If anything, Britbros are the underrated.
>>
>>112274724
And isn't that OP's question? Why them?
>>
Work culture

Then again anime has a lot of weak points since its more oriented towards the industry than art, but in terms in production they are superb.
>>
>>112267778
Comics have been gimped for years by the DC/Marvel twin monopoly thing, its all about sales, full stop, they only publish what they think will sell.
>>
>>112274648
>I;m talking shit like you weren't allowed to show police offers being subject to violence

So that's why cops and military forces are constantly being shat on in works now.
>>
>>112267778
It panders to people their who want to escape from their daily lives while most of the latter wants to make big bucks so they were eventually got stuck doing things over and over again until the cow runs out of milk
>>
>>112274879
I'm not disagreeing with OP, they are the best, but they're the best in the same as China is the "best" manufacturing country.
>>
>>112274987
And the actual good stuff that takes chances are cancelled due to low sales. I don't want ANGR to die
>>
Japan is Quantity over Quality

Sure they have lots of ideas rolled out but they can't end a series well at a gunpoint.
>>
>>112274988
Basically yeah. EVen when the laws were still onmipresent there was a growing counterculture that went to the polar extreme. That's where you get spawnshit and edgy for the sake of edgy hypergore violence garbage (pretty much exactly the shit Tokyo Ghoul is trying to be an homage to). A lot of modern stuff just mindlessly parrots that tradition of 'lets have graphic scenes of things getting fucked up just for the hell of it' without really understanding why it was a thing in the first place, because to most modern comic writers the medium is just an outlet for the juvenile fantasies they never outgrew

It's also why even now, some 70 years later, timetraveling alternate history scifi nazis are still the most fucking overused villains in anything. You don't have to show them doing bad things to sell that they're evil because they're nazis; we already know that they're the bad guys. It's a cheap and easy way to avoid needing to show your villains being villanous or actually characterize them, and was popularized back in a time when you couldn't publish something if the bad guys acted like bad guys.
>>
>>112275161
Lets not forget the fact the things that do sale have run out of ways for things to stay new, so now its just which character dies in some horrific way, only to be resurrected in a year or two, in a special edition mini-series. Or how about those awful crossovers with all the crossover spin-offs you have to buy and read to get the entire story. Or the fact that the shared universe means canon is absolutely garbage, even after they reset the universe to try and fix it.
>>
>>112275248
>Japan is Quantity over Quality

HS graduate only detected.
>>
File: samurai-art-ukiyo-e-hd-1731403.jpg (2MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
samurai-art-ukiyo-e-hd-1731403.jpg
2MB, 1920x1200px
>>112267778
Because they were making manga in the form of ukiyo-e since the 1600s.
>>
>>112267778
>how did Japan come to produce the best juvenile entertainment?

I guess juvenile culture?
>>
>>112275320
>pretty much exactly the shit Tokyo Ghoul is trying to be an homage to
Yeah no. The CCP in Tokyo Ghoul are treated as fairly as the ghouls are.
>>
>>112275248
>Sure they have lots of ideas rolled out but they can't end a series well at a gunpoint.

I'm pretty sure they are better at ending their cartoons/comics than Western people. Mostly because they end them, sometimes.
>>
Because Nippon is the promised land.
>>
>>112275470
Yeah this is the truth. I try to think of examples of western endings and most of the shows I was watching a dozen years ago are either still ongoing, or just cancelled abruptly and disappeared without an actual 'ending'.

When they actually do try to end shit, we get endings like Lost or Battlestar Galactic, which are arguably bones-tier clusterfucks.
>>
>>112275395
>implying juvenile
>>
>>112274595
>implying gay islam is politically correct
>>
>>112275544
Breaking Bad, True Detective and Band of Brothers all had nice endings for example.
>>
>>112275591
Comics and animation? Is there a better term that's escaping me?
>>
>>112275544

Or Babylon 5 where they accidently end most the main plotlines a season before, thinking it was going to be the last.
>>
>>112275544
There was also Dinosaurs, that had a Gonzo ending.

(and by Gonzo ending, I don't mean "nice Gonzo" that did Strike Witches. I mean traditional Gonzo).
>>
>>112275682
That's why the last season was shit? Sasuga American televsion.
>>
>>112275362
Sequential art goes back to cave paintings dude
>>
>>112267778
Comics and cartoons never got stuck in the ghetto of "kids only"
>>
>>112275664
"funtertainment"
>>
>>112275771

Yeah and the read they switched the Sinclair Captain was because the actor had mental illness.
>>
>>112275838
reason*
>>
>>112267778
>I've always wondered how Japan came to censor the greatest hentai animation, hentai comics, etc; compared to every other country. Especially for such a small place, which has only been relatively modern since the last 100 or so years. Is there some kind of sociopolitical aspect that I'm unaware of? Please enlighten me /a/.
>>
>>112275938

Obscenity laws at the turn of the 20th century. Murka left them alone during the much later occupation as well.
>>
>>112275544
They always go for that wish fulfilment shit too.

Or it never ends and has no continuity like Family Guy/Simpsons/south park and all that other shit
>>
>>112275646
>Breaking Bad
5 seasons was way too much. It started going downhill from the second season and just kept getting worse. By the end it only relied on shitty cliffhangers and cringeworthy 'epic' (I guess that was the intent) lines.

>True Detective
Ongoing.
>>
>>112276012
The original laws were something the imperialists cooked up because they were trying to forcefully modernize japan and stamp out the whole bushido shogunate culture, they were part of much wider cultural reforms and art censorship laws.

America actually expanded on them post-WW2, partially out of revulsion and culture shock (a country that's used to moral censorship being the norm encountering one that has tentacles in their porno) and partially out of a very deliberate attempt to westernize and modernize the country. They figured if they imposed harsher moral standards on media, those standard would trickle down to the public at large and make them more 'civilized'. It's also part of why japan's school reforms were so draconian and soulcrushing; they were pushed by america to adopt a more 'british' education system and the result was a much wider spread repression of sexuality and individualism.

When you actually go through the istory it;s not terrible surprising the japanese baby boomer generation is overrun with spineless limp-dick bureaucrats and unrepentant perverts. Nor is it surprising the youth counterculture is so off-the-rails weird and anti-productive.
>>
>>112275682
It wasn't an accident. WB waited till the last minute to make the decision which forced them to modify the plot they way they did because they didn't know whether they were going to be canceled or not until it was too late to change things.
>>
>>112276137
>5 seasons was way too much.
Seasons 4 and 5 were the best.

>Ongoing.
But season 2 is going to be a completely different story. You can call it "over".
>>
>>112276335
>Nor is it surprising the youth counterculture is so off-the-rails weird and anti-productive.
The harsher the conformity pressure in society, the weirder and more aggressive the counter culture is.
>>
>>112276538
>the weirder and more aggressive the counter culture is.
is that also the case in north korea?
>>
japan produces the best comics and animation because its the only place where theres an adult and employed market for comics and animation.
>>
>>112276565
Obviously in totalitarian states that doesn't hold, since counter cultures can't exist.
>>
>>112276565
North Korea is special. There is no counter culture.
>>
>>112276607
that place is so isolated, for all we know it could have a full blown rebellion and the world would not be aware of it.
>>
>>112272439

I ___agree with you, but this is bait and you know it.
>>
>>112276538
>The harsher the conformity pressure in society, the weirder and more aggressive the counter culture is.

What about America?
>>
>>112276538
Not necessarily.
Counterculture tends to be fueled more by generational gaps.
The boomers were brought up with the strict and oppressive post-war conservative japanese system. As time has gone on, that system has become much lore lax; but, of course the parents bring their childhood into the home when they deal with their own kids. So the youth generations grow up under this family pressure to conform to the old ways, and as soon as they step out the house, they're free of that pressure and do as they please.

That dichotomy is what fuels the counterculture. It's rebelling against their parents and against the 'old' way of doing things as much as anything.

>>112276565
This is a somewhat different situation, because everyone, regardless of generation, grows up under the same oppressive conditions. It isn't parents parroting the oppression they faced and trying to project an imitation of it onto their kids, it's both parents and children being oppressed by both their government, and by the scarcity of essential subsistence resources.
>>
>>112276839
What about it?
>>
>>112267778
Because less censorship and not wanting to appeal to a wider audience. Also, no stupid complaints about submissive women, or no blacks or other shit like that.
>>
because japanese has long history in cultures and traditions and excellent language which enables them express very subtle feeling only by letters
>>
>>112275470
>I'm pretty sure they are better at ending their cartoons/comics than Western people.
LE gainax ending
>>
>>112267778
Japan used to be one of top countries in the east which made them created best entertainment and they have loose censor.
>>
>>112275325
Basically this. Theer was a big thread over a /co/ awhile about why Anime/Manga is more popular than Comics and this >>112275325
was one of the main points w cae upt ith at the end.
>>
>>112276922
America is not pro-conformity. It has very aggressive counter cultures.
>>
>>112267778
Escapism because their lives are horrible.
>>
>>112277256
*we came up with
>>
File: 1375273693902.jpg (32KB, 453x500px)
1375273693902.jpg
32KB, 453x500px
It's not hard, all they had to do is write about things that aren't cape shit.
>>
>>112277263
>America is not pro-conformity.

Huh? Are we thinking of the same America here? America is about as conformist as it gets.
>>
>>112267778
>small
Twice the population of UK, Germany or France
88% the population of Russia
Same land mass as Germany
>>
>>112277507
> America is about as conformist as it gets.

Maybe in the Bible Belt LOL
>>
>>112277263
America is an amalgam of a great deal of disparate cultures and ideologies from all over the world. You have cultural enclaves that populate entire towns and cities in nooks and crannies all over the country that are almost entirely 2nd, 3rd and so on generation immigrants from various european cultures.

Just because most americans are white doesn't mean that they're all the same flavour of white. There's large conformity pressure all over the place, and the fact that it isn't institutionalized is part of what fosters the growth of countercultures. Countercultures then attract people with a weak sense of cultural identity (such as 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants) to it. Just because you were raised in a middle class white suburb doesn't mean your best friend wasn't raised in some Serbian-run hovel in the boonies where they whipped their kids for having naughty thoughts. There's 3rd-world countries hidden all over america and your cities are such melting pots because most people escape to them as soon as they're old enough to leave the home.

Plus shit like the civil rights movement carry on a tradition today that attracts youth into counterculture movements. You may forget that, while america isn't pro-conformity as a whole, it was pro-oppression and pro-segregation until rather recently in its history.
>>
>>112267778
ITT - Nips, gooks, chinks and yanks (both weeaboo and 'murica!) being racist and nationalistic.
>>
I like anime but

Simpsons, King of the Hill, Regular Show, Adventure Time, The Boondocks, and Rick and Morty>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anime
>>
>>112277632
There is also one objectively correct answer mixed in with the rhetoric. Can you find it?
>>
>>112277263
>not pro-conformity
>makes its children stand up every day and, as one, declare their loyalty to the government
>>
>>112277682
Heh, what a joke.
>>
>>112277758
KOTH is better written than any anime
>>
>>112277682
kill yourself
>>
>>112277682
lol, just lol.
>>
>>112277774
LOGH is much, much better than KOTH.
>>
>>112277682
Good point. Except none of those shows have an actual plot.
>>
>>112267778
It's because they went against the realism, or better say, the way the god, our creator, designed us visually.

Yes, they have Vagabond, jojo and others but they are not obligated to follow that way of design.

Seriously, /co/ gives you only two option:
Draw realistically if you want to make some respectfull person or deform it to make fun of it.

Japan inovated it making then deformed AND respectful and beautiful.

Also the subconscious mind when you make an unrealistic visual character is different:
While USA is "Pointing a finger and laughting", Japan is "Awwwww".
>>
>>112277816
Why are you comparing a dramatic military space opera with a slice of life comedy set in Texas?
>>
>>112277682

I'll never understand why KoTH is rated so highly.
>>
>>112277845
Neither does anime
>>
>>112277884
>with a slice of life comedy

Because that's all of the things you just listed.
>>
>>112277885
Because you have no sense of humor.
>>
>>112277891
Yeah, right. Go back to /co/, faggot.
>>
>>112277891
You are just trying to be snarky/witty like a teenager with that reply, but I stated an actual truth.
>>
Anime and Manga in general are pretty much Japanese Disney.
>>
>>112277935
Make me.

I enjoy both Western and Jap animation.
>>
>>112277948

Are we talking about the same Disney.
>>
>>112277934

If that were true I would like Family Guy.
>>
>>112277696
I think so, sir.
OP is a stupid faggot
>>
File: 1396552425016.jpg (16KB, 412x445px) Image search: [Google]
1396552425016.jpg
16KB, 412x445px
>>112267778
>Greatest.
>>
>>112277885
It's a clever deadpan comedy with likable characters. It's brutally honest about the culture it's parodying, but is never downright distasteful with its satire. It manages to stay true to itself core engagement across a long-running span and its episodic plots remain creative and entertaining without ever being excessively dramatic or inane.

It's basically just a really solid SoL comedy that does what it does well without ever doing something stupid to fuck it up.
>>
>>112277988
50's/60's Disney
>>
>>112278029
Family Guy's early seasons were legit though.
>>
>>112278123
The humour has always been awful and only gotten worse with time.
>>
>>112267778
Samuwy stronk! Nipon stronk country! Japanese = giant penis!
>>
It has little to do with Japan actually and more to do with the American comic industry getting raped by the Comics Code and a bunch of McCarthy wannabes.
>>
File: iStock_000015568904Small1.jpg (92KB, 566x848px) Image search: [Google]
iStock_000015568904Small1.jpg
92KB, 566x848px
>>112272776
I love Pixar, I think the entire studio is solid creative gold, except for Cars and Planes, and their respective sequels. I really get the impression from Pixar that they love their work, they love animation and that their creativity is fostered, at least somewhat.

Dreamworks on the other hand, feels to me like they have a big overbearing executive peering at their creative efforts and saying, "no, no. This is too imaginative. It needs to APPEAL."

As for solely Japanese media, some of it's good, some of it's bad, just like anywhere else. Although I will admit there seems to be some years where there's a dry spell of new material, for example the influx of teenage high school dramas and moeshit a few years ago. It varies, just like with Pixar and Dreamworks in the west.
>>
>>112278311
Planes is Disney
>>
>>112278345
Ah shit yeah you're right, they did it with Disney's in-house team. My bad. It's a spin-off of Cars though.
>>
>>112277701
>make
its an illusion of force, you don't actually have to.
>>
>>112278311
>Dreamworks on the other hand, feels to me like they have a big overbearing executive peering at their creative efforts and saying, "no, no. This is too imaginative. It needs to APPEAL."
Yeah, somebody hasn't seen Kung Fu Panda 2, and Dragons 2. Better than anything Pixar has done since TS 3
>>
>>112278568
I've never heard of a school allowing someone to simply not participate in the pledge of allegiance. If you abstain you'll get sent of to a guidance counselor or the principle, and if the problem doesn't solve itself you'll eventually be suspended and have your parents involved in your lack of patriotism.

Schools take that institutional shit very seriously.
>>
>>112278568
Children believe what they're told and do what they're told. It's an evolved trait. The ones that said "fuck you, I'ma touching the snake" didn't reproduce.

Why d'you think people believe in ridiculous shit like Christianity or Mormonism?
>>
>>112279042
You're full of shit. There was a supreme court case about this very issue, and the supreme court sided with the student. The only people who try to enforce anything are uninformed teachers, and even then, when the student refuses there's nothing they can do to them.
>>
>>112279093
>The ones that said "fuck you, I'ma touching the snake" didn't reproduce.

That's because we call those people homosexual.
>>
>>112279132

>The only people who try to enforce anything are uninformed teachers

Yeah, we sure don't have any of those walking around in our schools.
>>
>>112278725
Dragons 2 was an exercise in ticking the boxes.

3D-bait podrace? Check.
Musical interlude? Check.
Poignant funereal moment? Check.
Victory through power of friendship? Check.

That's not to say it's shit, but see it for what it is. It's still pandering, even when it's pandering to you.

Kung Fu Panda was the shit though
>>
>>112279093
>Why d'you think people believe in ridiculous shit like Christianity or Mormonism?
I'm not even religious, and yet I'm vicariously embarrassed by this fedora tier shit.

Mormonism is undefendably retarded though.

>>112279196
Oh, we do, but as I said, there's nothing they can do to enforce it.
>>
File: image.jpg (95KB, 355x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 355x450px
>>112267778
Japan has been the land of art since a long time ago
Even Gogh became a weeb
>>
>>112279042
The supreme court says otherwise.

That said, the supreme court says you have the right not to be raped, mugged and murdered.

And it doesn't say you have the right to abstain from the pledge and not be ostracised. That's one of the great things about free speech.
>>
>>112279231
Ok, well I'm willing to agree that Dragons 2 was merely a well made kids movie.

Seriously though, Kung Fu Panda 2 is way better than the concept has any right to be
>>
>>112279132
Uninformed teachers make up the entire hierarchy of the school system and you;re not going to find many students who can afford to dispute their penalties in a court of law.

Sure, it the case ever reaches a court, they'd have the high ground without issue, but courts are expensive, and no teacher is going to put up with you being a dirty pinko commie unless you're willing to shell out the legal costs and take them to court over it. Even if you do, you'll have to be lucky and hope your case ends up o the table of a liberal judge, because a conservative one will just toss the case right out and not give you the time of day.

Which would mean that uninformed teachers are free to make you their bitch-boy until you swear your loyalty to dead white people like everyone else!
>>
File: 1407546250490.jpg (25KB, 267x337px) Image search: [Google]
1407546250490.jpg
25KB, 267x337px
>>112274595
>Germans are good at making cars
If you're willing to spend $80K or more, sure.

>Americans
>good with economics
Which is why our entire economy since the 50's has been focused on short-term profit and gain rather than long-term business sense.
Which is also why our government "regulations" are retarded or counter-productive.

On topic: It's because there's a lot of competition and variety. American media has stagnated since the "muh feelings" groups started in. People bitching about "muh morals" made the few large media companies risk-averse and made the smaller ones go out of business.
>>
>>112268289
Started yes.
But then >>112270677
>>
>>112279237
Just because stupid people say something, doesn't mean it's wrong.

Religions say things that are, objectively, false. They're testably incorrect about matters of fact. And people will believe these non-facts, because someone told them, when they young, that they were true.

It's hardly coincidence that children of Christians don't believe in Hinduism, and children of Muslim parents don't believe in Judaism.
>>
>>112279374
At my school they just stopped making kids do the pledge.
>>
>>112279237
>Oh, we do, but as I said, there's nothing they can do to enforce it.

Other than, you know, them sending you to the guidance counselor or principle, and getting your parents involved because you don't love the greatest god loving country in the world.

That, and of course they can make the rest of your school year shitty because they're in charge of grading your work.
>>
>>112279374
Yeah, again, you're full of shit, I was going to school fairly recently, and it was nothing like you're describing. Teachers might at most, say something to you, but they don't do anything past that.
>>
The scary thing about these threads is that people actually believe the shit they're spouting.
>>
>>112279403
I think you can get one for less.
>>
>>112279621

>You must be at least 18 to post on 4chan.
>>
>>112279707
Jokes, on you, I turn 19 next month.
>>
>>112279403
>Which is why our entire economy since the 50's has been focused on short-term profit and gain rather than long-term business sense.
This is because of the housing bubble from post-war america, the thing is, the logic back then wasn't awful, but it was focused more on doing that used to work rather than what could work, because investors were scared of what would happen if the economy went into recession (which had already happened without them realizing it).

>Which is also why our government "regulations" are retarded or counter-productive.
You're blaming the tool instead of the worker. Companies get bought out by bigger companies and people pay eachother off to get bills and regulations passed that work n the short term, because they want to bail out asap if things become unfixable. Blame the politicians, not the regulations.
>>
>>112272464
I don't even like how the big budget 3D films look. Sure it's impressive, but it just lacks the 'spirit' 2D animation has. Or I guess I should say hand-drawn 2D animation, since now it's all flash and that looks like crap in addition to lacking a human touch. Not really a fan of live action either, especially if it requires tons of CG. Will hand-drawn animation ever make a comeback in the industries or is it all downhill from here?
>>
>>112280377
I fear it's all downhill.
3DCG is finally getting to the point where it's bearable, Frozen didn't look bad, but still, it just looks awkward.
If you're trying to make something realistic and 3d, just do live action.
>>
All I want is for the American animation industry to attempt to match Japan's. I want cartoon "seasons" here, I want the West to create its own Evangelion in terms of changing the perceptions of the medium so it's not all dumb as shit comedy or superhero tie-ins meant to sell action figures. The budgets for shows like American Dad are several times higher than the vast majority of anime, and yet it's nothing more than obnoxious comedy. Until America loses the mindset that "cartoons are for kids", American animation will never match what anime has accomplished, even if just looking at anime since the 90s and not its entire history.

As for manga versus comics, manga is, again, vastly superior due in large part to its variety. But the biggest reason for its superiority is that it is 99% of the time a single author or group of authors writing the entire work. Same for the artist. Manga is many times better than American comics as a storytelling medium because it is much more consistent in both art and writing, and, unlike the big American comics franchises, stories actually end and new ones are created. Super Man is over 100 years old and it's never going to fucking end, attempting to make any sense of its continuity is absurd because so many different writers have touched the property. Most big American comics deal with this issue.

tl;dr, the Japanese do it better on an industry level and have a better understanding of the mediums than America does
>>
>>112280958
>Until America loses the mindset that "cartoons are for kids"

I hate to break it to you anon, but anime is for kids too.
>>
File: monster.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
monster.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>>112281073
kids actually watch this?
>>
>>112281073
Anime is for otaku. Anime for kids makes up a very small portion of the anime that airs every season, and it's usually card game/video game tie-ins
>>
>>112280958
I like anime no doubt
but I've never experienced character interaction as amusing as the ones in archer in anime.
>>
>>112281073
Anime is primarily for advertisements and secondarily for kids.
>>
Big anime directors seem to get a shitton more respect and autonomy compared to their western counterparts. Go look at what timm and dini had to go through to get return of the joker through and you'll get an idea on why western animation has no fucking balls
>>
Didn't Japan pretty much constantly grant Koreans citizenship as long as they had artistic talent? They were doing that for a good 600 years or so. Even during war against Korea and the modern imperial occupation.

Not to mention artisans was one of the highest classes in Japanese life for a thousand years.

Their culture has bred artists in ways not many other cultures do.
>>
>>112281351

>Japan
>Granting filthy foreigns, especially koreashits citizenship

No. Absolutely no.
>>
>>112267778
>Is there some kind of sociopolitical aspect that I'm unaware of? Please enlighten me /a/.

mangas come in tankabons and those are cheap popular and give you a lot of bang for your buck
i want to remark the word POPULAR mangas are discussed by a large population
something their west counterpart wouldn't even dream of
>>
>>112281073

The anime posted on /a/ is for highschoolers and otaku, not children
>>
>>112281404
I think he means in the past
I know mas oyama was born from a korean family but considered a full japanese citizenship wasn't he?
>>
>>112281404
That's the importance they placed on artisans. They allowed the best artisans citizens and just gave them a Japanese name.
>>
>>112276137
>5 seasons was way too much. It started going downhill from the second season and just kept getting worse. By the end it only relied on shitty cliffhangers and cringeworthy 'epic' (I guess that was the intent) lines.

I'm glad to see someone has the same opinion as me on this. Everyone else seems to think the latter half of the show was great, but it was just awful.
>>
>>112281440
A huge part of that is manga deal with subjects that your average every day person can relate to or get something out of, whereas in America comics are perceived as something for children and neckbeards because they're all about guys in capes who wear their underwear over their tights. You would never see a comic book about tennis or something here, or anything even remotely resembling a good shoujo/josei, and have it be a success just due to the stigma against it. Most people who go see the superhero movies in theatres that have become such a craze are either going with their kids, doing it out of nostalgia, or liking them ironically (because wearing thick-rimmed glasses and watching super hero movies is quirky and "lol so nerdy xD").
>>
>>112281868
It was great until Skyler found out. Feminists say it was empowering and yadda yadda, but she was a wet napkin in the show and watered down the fun parts. Skyer episodes made the second half unbearable.
>>
>>112268289
Basically Disney and comics changed copyright law in America to basically make it forever minus a day, to keep certain things from falling into the public domain (Old DC heroes works, and the earliest Mickey Mouse shorts.) Basically it was changed so Disney could control its the earliest shit. Partly because it wanted those sweet Steamboat Willie golds, but also to keep Plane Crazy from ever seeing the light of day again.
>>
I think they've realized theres a limit to how much they can milk old franchises
which is why I suspect they bought marvel and star wars.
>>
>>112277862
>>112277862
Japan is full escapism, like blonde and pink hair japanese with blue eyes with behavior that you wont see from actual japanese
>>
>>112281351
>>112281404

>>112281623

The Imjin War was nicknamed the Pottery War because Japanese snatched up a bunch of artisans from Korea, many of whom ended up taking on Japanese names.
>>
>>112282191
Marvel is just another company milking old franchises, though. And Star Wars itself is an old franchise.

It will take nothing short of a revolution for American animation/comics to be good.

To start with, I want Superman and Batman to legitimately end. I want the characters to cease appearing in new works. They need to make new works for a new era.
>>
>>112281994
You forgot the part where Walt Disney himself was so distraught over losing the rights over Oswald that he wanted to keep Mickey forever.
They lobby to change the laws every time the copyright is about to expire. It's what, creator's death + 75 years now?

On one hand, copyright laws were written in respect to mechanical inventions, in order to prevent one inventor/company from monopolizing a product. And thus weren't really tailored to intellectual property.

On the other, it's pretty bullshit that one company can hold the copyright to a character that has become a cultural icon itself.
>>
>>112282253
>Marvel is just another company milking old franchises, though.
yeah but the milk is still flowing and will continue to flow for a while.
>>
>>112282253
Too bad they just rebooted both of them.
>>
>>112282191
Disney is taking a page from EA by buying Marvel and Star Wars; buy beloved IP's, make mediocre iterations of them, when people eventually get sick of the poor quality versions, kill them.
>>
>>112267778
East and west have their own style, every comics dont have to have chars with sharp face, weird hair, big eyes and small mouth.
>>
>>112282358
>Disney is taking a page from EA
well no, Disney so far has been pretty hands off and letting marvel do what they want
>>
What new western works have gone big time recently? It really feels like it's all just old franchises being rehashed over and over. I guess there's Game of Thrones...
>>
>>112267778
This threaf turned into manga vs comic
>>
>>112281994
Coming into this thread late but are you saying they somewhat monopolized it?
>>
>>112281973
That was part of it, but my main issue with it was that they tried to rope you along with teases, cliffhangers, and suspense instead of trying to put together a better narrative. Plus, it became really, really clear that they hadn't thought the story through at all around the end of the second season when the plane crash happens. The rest of the show just felt like it was meandering to some nonspecific destination. Occasionally, there are some nice moments post season 2, but you have to wade through a ton of melodrama and filler just to get to them. As a whole, the show really wasn't that good.
>>
>>112282284
Pretty much.Though Disney has used other ways to get around it anyways, and it's not Mickey that's copyrighted (that would be trademark, which is until they let it lapse, or they stop defending it), it's the afformentioned shorts. Steamboat Willie is pretty much guaranteed on any classics collection, while Plane Crazy makes Mickey look completely different, as in villain different.

>>112282358
>Mediocre iterations
One More Day and The Prequels were pre buyout anon.
>>
>>112282399
Didn't universal used to own Marvel?
I remember the Spiderman ride and shit at Universal themparks.
>>
>>112282440
>that would be trademark, which is until they let it lapse, or they stop defending it
My bad, IP laws confuse me.
>>
>>112282295
That depends on what you mean by flowing. The movies are making a ton of money, but by the end of the decade superhero movies will have overstayed their welcome and they won't bring in the money they do now. Their comics fucking suck as of now as well.
>>
Some people need to return to /co/
>>
Did you know that glass is actually a very slow flowing liquid?
>>
>>112282589
thats a load of shit
>>
Does anyone have that old picture comparing an anime season with what's been airing on American TV for the past 2 years (as of when the picture was made)?

I loved that picture so much.
>>
>>112282430
Somewhat, they've basically monopolized their own creations. Though the worst part is somewhat in how it's interpreted (see both of Ken Pender's recent lawsuits.)
>>
>>112282245
That exactly. The Japanese placed an extremely high emphasis on actual artistic creators. A lot of their art in feudal eras were heavily influenced by Korean artists who studied Chinese arts. They didn't just want the art themselves, but the talent behind them.
>>
What do americans even watch besides CSI and American Idol?
>>
The answer if very simple. America's talent goes into live action because we have they money for it.

Japan's talent goes into anime because that's where their money is.

Ever wonder why most english dubs suck ass? It's because people in America want to be real actors, not idols/seiyuu, like their Japanese counterparts.
>>
>>112282722
Whatever Wired Magazine says is cool and nerdy.
>>
>>112282722
Reality programming... sports..
>>
>>112282722
Depends on the Americans. Do britbongs only Watch Doctor Who, Top Gear and Eurovision?
>>
>>112282722
Duck Dynasty
>>
>>112282722
the only thing I watch on television is the military history channel and cartoon network.
>>
>>112282722
HBO and AMC series, so Game of Thrones, Walking Dead and Breaking Bad. Also sitcoms like Modern Family.
>>
>>112282703
>A lot of their art in feudal eras were heavily influenced by Korean artist
God help you if you try and tell a netoyuo that
>>
>>112282722
mother likes watching big bang theory a lot
every time she tells me im just like main guy in that show ,I die a little inside.
>>
>>112282785
But a real actor can act better than a seiyu you fucking retard. The problem with dubs is that the actors have no talent. Or do you expect blockbuster actors to dub anime for peanuts?
>>
>>112282923
A lot of Japanese are delusional to think their culture wasn't heavily influenced by China through Korea. It's just the facts. They just made it their own in the process. Like almost all their modern culture is European and American in origin.
>>
File: b0104119_345477.jpg (311KB, 545x400px) Image search: [Google]
b0104119_345477.jpg
311KB, 545x400px
NARUTO
>>
>>112282943
Are you playing mario 64 on a poorly coded emulator right now, sheldon?
>>
/a/ is not your weeaboo board.
>>
>>112282979
Do you have brain problems? You're just repeating what I said and getting angry at me like I didn't just make those points.
>>
>>112283066
[CANNED LAUGH TRACK PLAYS]
>>
>>112282979
>But a real actor can act better than a seiyu you fucking retard.
He didn't imply otherwise.
>>
File: fuck japan.jpg (92KB, 502x599px) Image search: [Google]
fuck japan.jpg
92KB, 502x599px
Japan is fucking shit two bombs weren't enough
>>
Man this thread really pulled in /co/ shitposters like a magnet. Or was it made by /co/ in the first place?
>>
>>112271402
>>112268398
"The Ten Cent Plague" is cheap demagoguery and revisionism that greatly overinflates the impact of the largely mythic "Great Comic Book Scare". It can be easily contridicted by even 'Wiki'd It historians'.

The real death of creativity in the West was caused by draconian copyright laws, and insane publishing costs. All thanks to oligopoly racketeering and publishers guilds.
A similar cancer occured in Hollywood with the Studio System and The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers.
>>
>>112279237

>Acknowledging the truth is fediora tier shit

Epic maymay friend
>>
>>112280470
'Tis truly a dark time when some of the most reliably good CG animation is has been done by a game company.
>>
>>112267778
It's less about why Japan got so good and more about why America has continued to get worse and worse.
>>
>>112267778
>small place
Japan has more people and is larger than Germany, so fool.
>>
>>112283551
>Still being this fedora.
Fucking shit, I hate fucks like you.
>>
>>112283705
o lawd
o jaysus
>>
>>112283430
This sounds like it was written by someone who expected japanese normies to be like american nerds everywhere he went

It's not like he said "the otaku culture isn't what I thought it was!" it's still there but that pic doesn't talk about anything other than how much he hates all the normal people
>>
>>112283430
Yeah, a lot of that picture reminds me of /a/. While we have Gaia as the example of weebs, we have /a/ on the other end of the spectrum.
Knowing close to nothing about the country (and what they know is taken from BBC and Vice "documentaries"), but in a desperate attempt to not seem like weebs people pretend to hate it.
>>
>>112283762
>Implying only theists hate fedoratheists.
>>
>>112283705
>muh religious tolerance
>>
>>112283607
I'm inclined to agree when I remember how great the 90s was for American animation (height of the Disney renaissance; all the WB TV animation with great writing like Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, fucking Batman TAS etc.; the birth of Cartoon Network and Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, etc.), but even then, nothing that came out of that period touches Eva, Bebop, or GitS in terms of artistic achievement, and the Ghibli films of the period are pretty close to on par with the Disney films.

I'd say the only time American animation was better than anime was during the Looney Tunes/Silly Symphonies era, maybe. And that's a big maybe. Ever since the 80s though, anime has been far superior.
>>
>>112282245
The workman and the artist are different.
The workman only makes ordered goods.
The workman does not make a new thing.
The artist in old Japan is as follows.

suki sha.
Cha jin
ukiyoe shi.
Kabuki mono.
Tougei ka.(Not toukou)
They are the designers and producers.
They made the culture of Japan.
>>
>>
>>112267778
>I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics

greatest in what sense? they just had more tradition of drawing cartoons than the west

most of the stories are just re-use plots over and over, there's almost no originality

I think is more like the 1000 monkeys, put 1000 anime a years and you'll get 1 or 2 good
>>
>>112283976
1 or 2 more than what the west have a year.
>>
>>112282722
I'm halfway through the 7th season of Next Generation.

Now I just need to decide whether I'll pick up Deep Space 9 or Voyager first.
>>
Why do people think Japan is small?
>>
>>112284034
Because it is.
>>
Anime thrived because Japan had a strong economy, manga/anime had more latitudes of distribution, and the author was properly compensated for successful work. Also, lax censorship laws, and lack of active soccor moms to shut things down.
>>
>>112284034

The bigger your penis is, the bigger your country is, and everyone knows that Americans have the biggest dicks, while Japanese people have tiny dicks.
>>
>>112283834
I laugh at anyone that says FCC hasn't murdered the cartoon scene. A few of their rulings were catastrophic to the industry. Even cable networks that can get away with more don't do so because they are afraid of the FCC hammer.
>>
>>112267778
Why are western comicbook artists so fucking shit?

The drawings don't really convey anything not the slightest emotion, its like every panel is a self contained illustration, so mind numbingly boring
>>
>>112284034
isn't it like this size of rhode island or something?
>>
>>112284115

>cable networks
>afraid of the FCC hammer

hahaohwow.exe
>>
>>112284133
Actually, I have a bigger problem with their coloring techniques.
>>
>>112284073
>lack of active soccor moms to shut things down.
This.
>>
>>112267778
>I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics

Wrong you fucking idiot.

Tintin is way better than any manga. Classic disney is way better than any anime.
>>
>>112284144
The overall size anf populations is basically California... livable land is something more like Rhode Island.
>>
>>112284177
>"Manga? oh, I can't read that stuff because it's all in black and white."
>>
>>112284144
No, it's like Hawaii sized.
>>
>>112284253
i-is japan an endangered species?
>>
>>112269358
Fucking this, it's always this.

Japan doesn't have them.
>>
>>112284305
Considering they're having a pop crash, possibly.
>>
>>112267778
It's a combination of them being the only first world country not completely influenced by western morals (besides Korea) and their old tradition of drawing. That's it.
>>
>>112284305
Earthquakes and Nukes will make them endangered.
>>
>>112284305
No. Japan is a country. Not a specie. Stupid.
>>
>>112284018
> cannot into statistics

how many cartoons does the west produce per year?
>>
>>112284290
Take Oregon and California, and flip them horizontally, and triple the population. That's Japan.
>>
>>112284235
I like that /co/ faggots keep naming the same four comic authors while Japan has more great works than you could read in a lifetime.
>>
>>112284440
Like 12. Japan makes more harem shows in a single season.
>>
>>112284440
Like 5 or so a year.
>>
>>112284475
Give me five that aren't moeshit, set in a school, haremshit, SOL or any of the common anime tripes
>>
>>112284509
There's a lot of harem anime, but not that much in a single season.
>>
>>112284610
Give me five western cartoons that aren't The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Archer, and Hanna Barbera reruns.
>>
>>112284610
Pluto, Bokurano, Good Night Punpun, Vagabond, OnePunch Man, Dorohedoro and Blame, just the ones in the top of my mind.
>>
Because they're a country focused pretty much solely on imagination and creativity and neither of those things are looked down upon as juvenile like in other countries who care more about the quality of their art then it's creativeness so to speak.

Japanese literature is garbage, their film is incredibly lacking compared even just to other asian countries like South Korea, and their television is dominated by variety shows and kid/teen stuff like anime. It should make sense then that they dominate comics and animation where creativity is hailed as king and looks > substance. You don't have to look further than /a/ or /co/ for evidence of that, where KyoAni are hailed as king and capeshit/shounen are the most talked about comics
>>
>>112284610
>basically don't name anything.
Can you name more than 4 comic authors that don't rely on superhero shit, or try to ape literature.
>>
>>112284475
>four
More like two, The Sandman and the Watchmen are the only thing that I see /co/ fags say that it's great.
>>
>>112284779
Does /co/ like TDKR? That's what I read a few years ago when I tried to get into comics.
>>
There barely are any harems that play it straight these days. That was more prevalent in early 2000s. It's been more than 10 years since.
>>
>>112284779
>Sandman and Watchmen
So Gaiman's purple prose gothshit, and a dated comic about cold war fears.
>>
>>112284610
Gunslinger Girl, Otoyemagatari, Yotsuba, Black Lagoon, Monster.
>>
>>112283705

>There are people here that actually, unironically, fedora shitpost.

Truly a christian imageboard.
>>
>>112284728
Japan has had great cinema since WWII. Dirty Coreans only had a brief 21st century renaissance that is already dying off.
>>
>>112283825

>Say anything bad about religuins
>Fedora memespouters come out of the woodwork

It stopped being funny a long time ago.
>>
>>112272018
looks like >>112271930 has the downs
>>
>>112284610
Fullmetal Alchemist, Paranoia Agent, Steins;Gate, Cowboy Bebop, Bocurrano
>>
>>112285213
>continuing to shitpost
>>
>>112268610
Yeah they pander to white supremacists instead. Have you even READ Tintin?
>>
>>112285406
To be fair, Herge later apologized about the early Tintin works.
>>
File: 1337901753369.png (94KB, 192x187px) Image search: [Google]
1337901753369.png
94KB, 192x187px
>>112285406
>Yeah they pander to white supremacists instead

Nigga is you serious
>>
>>112272776
Slow down there fanboy. Kung Fu Panda and HTTYD are better movies than anything Pixar shit out for the last decade
>>
>>112285470
Yeah and then he goes and draws Coke en stock. Seems pretty hypocritical to me
>>
So /a/ when are we going to make an anime?
>>
>>112285586
Well, I still love Tintin, and I still think Herge was a talented artist.
>>
>>112285633

We should make an anime about dating crippled girls
>>
Just look at East Asian history since 1840. Japan, Korea, Taiwan all goes through these stages.
Autocratic government > Drastic economic reform > Export based prosperity > Huge educated next generation grown up > Export cultural influence

Like, 50 years later, people will be literally watching Chinese cartoon and pop songs videos.
>>
>>112285694
>implying /a/ made ks
>>
>>112281117
Gurren Lagann, not so good.
Berserk, shitty anime and even worse manga.
FLCL, boring, unfunny, LOL SO RANDUM XD shit.
Kaiji, atrocious character design and completely contrived plot.
Serial Experiments Lain? more like Serial Experiments LAME shitsux
BLAME! If I wanted buildings and walking, I'd go outside
GTO? More like GTFO.
Bartender? More like BOREtender
Strike Witches, If i wanted to watch fanservice without plot, i would watch hentai.
Legend of the Gaylactating Homosexuals
MushiSHIT
Victorian Romance Emma. Otaku-pandering maid fanservice bullshit.
Seirei no Moribito, if I wanted sleeping aid I'd take ambien.
Vinland Saga, shitty manga and even worse anime. 2 episodes in and I fell asleep.
Jojo's Bizarre Gayventure
BLAME!?, More like LAME shitsux
Grave of the Fireflies? If I wanted to watch a whiny cunt and his little sister fuck around I'd go to Chuck E. Cheese.
Golden Boy? If I wanted to see a genius get horny, I'd videotape myself masturbating.
Mononoke, if I wanted to see a crossdressing, homosexual pothead wearing make-up, I'd move to Brazil.
Claymore, looks like a dick, strong beginning and middle but a cheesy ending.
Mushishi? More like MushiSHIT
Vagabond, one episode in and I fell asleep
Ghost in the Shell, pretentious shit with walls of text. I'd rather watch Code Geass than this piece of shit.
Cowboy Bebop, Shitty ripoff of Trigun
>>
>>112285738
And how does Korea or Taiwan influence your everyday life culturally? By fucking gangnam shit?

Stop talking out of your ass.
>>
>>112285772
A single looks at /vg/'s Katawa Shoujo threads (they're at number #2410 now) will tell why it's such a fucking shitty idea.
>>
>>112285846
Not him but Gangmam Style was pretty massive in America.
>>
>>112285866
meant for >>112285694
>>
>>112285846
They do have huge pop influence on a lot of South East Asian countries, do you know?
>>
>>112285890
Fad that came and went in three months.
Not even mentioning it being divorced completaly of its cultural roots.
>>
>>112285941
>mmuh influence on niggers that are even worse than me!

Please.
>>
>>112285738
You think it's that easy? Tell me who China's Tezuka is then. He should've showed up by now.
>>
>>112285795
>Claymore, looks like a dick, strong beginning and middle but a cheesy ending.

You'd know that pretty well, wouldn't you?
>>
>>112285983
>That doesn't count because I don't like it
Yeah ok
>>
>>112286037
Tell me how south east yellow niggerstan is relevant anywhere. It`s not worth liking or not liking in the first place.
>>
I've always thought it strange how uninspired comics or "graphic novels" are. It's nice that they're often in full color but they're all about super heroes, or grim-dark bullshit.
It's a great storytelling medium but no one makes the attempt.
I think Scott Pilgrim has been the only thing I've enjoyed when it comes to western stuff.
>>
>>112286123
Read The Dark Knight Returns. It's the best capecomic ever.
>>
>>112285846
He said in 50 years, dude
>>
>>112286173
He might have said in 500 years just as well.

Not going to happen.
>>
>>112286168
Super heroes comics are literally worse than moe shit.
>>
>>112283066
I hate that guy so much
>>
>>112286332
It`s now like moe shit, but with rape and cannibalism. Oh so adult and dark and thought-provoking.
>>
>>112286332
Don't mock it till you try it m8. Just like anime, there's some good stuff, you just have to find it.
>>
>>112286173
See
>>112286022

Modern comics and animation came along with Japan's development. Korea is already a developed country. What has it created since its secession with NK?
>>
>>112286461
Dall-Young Lim
>>
>>112286413
I love to read the Injustice comics, but only because of how much of an hilarious trainwreck it is.
>>
>>112286413
Why are you assuming that he didn't try it?
>>
>>112285890
>Gangmam Style was pretty massive in America.

Yeah but forgotten very quickly
>>
>>112286540
If he did he'd know.
>>
>>112286501
NAARGH
>>
>>112284383
>It's a combination of them being the only first world country not completely influenced by western morals

LOL Before Christian missionaries came to Japan, Homosexuality was perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>112286752
>Homosexuality was perfectly acceptable.
in a way
they still had a code about it , where once a man picked a male lover he was expected to be absolutely loyal to him , well he could still get a wife and sire children but another man was completely out of the question.
>>
>>112286413
99.9 of the comicbook come down to :

>Character are introduced
>They get a mission
>They start doing it and meet the villain
>They struggle
>They don't use their powers for no reason till near the end
>They actually use their powers near the end and beat/resolve the villain/problem
>End

There is nothing more boring that super heroes fights
>>
>>112286918
Even rapis cannibal batman?
>>
>>112286918
Holy shit this extenuating
>>
I'll post this here since there's not real Anime discussion:

Where can I download movies that have just recently been released in Nippoland? It's not on any western sites.
>>
File: untitled.png (7KB, 1039x115px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
7KB, 1039x115px
>>112287070

No.
>>
>>112287070
It's on Share if you have the patience to deal with that piece of shit.
>>
>>112275248
If anything the west is Quantity over quality.
And by west I mean America.
I mean look at Cars, Planes, Grown Ups, Shitty flash cartoons, shitty movies, shitty cg, and so on.

Not to mention that you can't really compare manga to comics due to how they're both made.
The stupidity behind the west is how stupid shit like the "Flash Attosecond" image came to be.
>>
>>112287360
>If anything the west is Quantity over quality.

And Japan is not?

Japan announces an anime of any manga/ln/video game/merchandise that even gets -SLIGHT- popularity.
>>
The west doesn't regard animation and comic as serious media to deliver something. Because no genius such as Tezuka and Miyazaki appeared since Disney. Without them, anime and manga wouldn't be so dominant in Japan, either.
>>
>>112277884
Why are you comparing a SoL comedy to all of anime?
>>
>>112278412
Cars was fantastic

>haters
>>
>>112287730
Tumblr gifs are frowned upon.
>>
>>112287730
>>>/co/
>>
>>112278123
No, I can confirm they were not.
Because for some reason everytime I decide to watch adult swim, it is always the early episodes of Fanily Guy that are airing.
Every time.
Just like how every time I watch Adult Swim, it's always the same episode of GiTS that is airing.

Family guy was always shit.
The majority of Americans have terrible taste in humor.
>>
>>112274595

You are right except Korean. Korean gook.
>>
>>112287821
what is your opinion on Archer?
>>
>>112288624
He will hate it because it doesn't have litle girls in it

yay for /a/ logic
>>
>>112288624
Actually a good show.
But at the end of the day, it's just another comedy.
>>
>>112288673
I dunno , does Krieger's VR waifu count as a loli?
>>
>>112287821
>The majority of Americans have terrible taste in humor.
Different people have different taste, especially from different culture. Although with so little shit nowadays, most of them will just anything that can make them giggle.
>>
File: realfucincancer.jpg (71KB, 680x508px) Image search: [Google]
realfucincancer.jpg
71KB, 680x508px
>>112285795
>cowboy Bebop, shity ripoff of trigun
>>
>>112288760
Krieger built an animu styled hologram girl to be his wife
you can hate on the show but you can't hate on the guy living the dream.
>>
>>112287821
>Japanese bokke tsukkomi routine
> Japanese Comedy
> Good humor

heh
>>
File: lolwhat.jpg (38KB, 628x345px) Image search: [Google]
lolwhat.jpg
38KB, 628x345px
>>112282589
no, its not?
>>
>>112288844
hownew.ru
>>
File: Japbehead3[1].jpg (55KB, 675x840px) Image search: [Google]
Japbehead3[1].jpg
55KB, 675x840px
Could it be that America is actually responsible for the rise of Otaku culture in Japan by funding and supporting videogames and anime?
Consider this, the Japanese are a culture that have proved themselves fanatical during wartime.
Could the whole anime culture be funded to make sure the Jap youth are useless virgins as means of controlling them after WW2?
>>
>>112289108
No, it's Gundam's fault.
>>
>>112274595
>not having superior Czech and Belgian beer
>German beer is alright but nothing compared to the former two
>>
>>112289108
No. Japan is rearming soon.
>>
>>112277885
Are you American? I think that's part of it, though I don't think it's so important with Japanese SoL.

I do kind of get it but it doesn't appeal to, there is something I find un-relatable about it yet when I watch a series like SZS a lot of it goes over my head yet it is still something I really appreciate.
>>
>>112289267
With USA's blessing, basically. THey're not the only ones having political tensions with Russia right now
>>
>>112289267
>>112289737
This scares the shit out of me. If Japan rearms itself whats going to stop them from eventually getting to powerful and stab the US right in the back? They still haven't gotten over Nagasaki and Hiroshima afterall. Japanese are monsters when it comes to war and don't know what mercy is.
>>
>>112267778
it's where they have invested their talent.

Also, they have a unified culture which is important for the arts. The west does not because White Culture be evil

>inb4 /pol/
No seriously, that is an issue. The lack of a unified culture in the West is a problem
>>
>>112268163
Look at this underage fag. Look at him man laugh
>>
>>112290049
50cent get the fuck out.
>>
>>112267778
>Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics, etc; compared to every other country
Yeah I bet you wish you were Japanese too
>>
>>112290049
>whats going to stop them from eventually getting to powerful and stab the US right in the back

Ha. Good one.
>>
>>112290055
>White Culture be evil
Who even says that? Americans?
>>
>>112290049
>implying Japan didn't turn into an endangered pussy whipped race
>Japanese are monsters when it comes to war and don't know what mercy is.
Too bad they lost
>>
>>112286022
China's Tezuka actually influended Tezuka himself. Tezuka watched stuff like Princess Iron fan (First East Asian animation) by the Wan Brothers at a young age and that actually inspired him to make Japanese animation go big.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wan_brothers

The reason why Japan is so farahead in animation today and why China is lagging so hard behind is because of Mao's cultural revolution which happened just after the Wan brothers released their masterpiece, Havoc in Heaven.

China still has a lot to do, especially with their strong censorship, but they are finally able to produce animated movies that are matching Japanese visuals.

Everyone will actually be watching Chinese Cartoons in 50 years.
>>
File: Tips Homura.png (161KB, 265x281px) Image search: [Google]
Tips Homura.png
161KB, 265x281px
>>112290049
>US cuts military support to Japan
>Gets swallowed between the forces of China and Russia while being nuked by ENOLA FAGGOT Mk II
>>
>>112283949

I didn't know the manga Blood-C was based on was that old
>>
Mao had everyone go work in the fields, including artists and animators alike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV3CrMCeSQ4
>>
>>112284475
>more great works than you could read in a lifetime

Yeah, I think I'll end up killing myself at the rate of grinding through all of Tezuka's works plus all the good ones of the 60's and 70's.
>>
>>112285406
>mfw the biggest Tintin fan i know is a chubby Indian dude
Yeah man I see him in full KKK uniform complaining about how much the subways always stink of curry. Can barely contain that one man Aushwitz
>>
>>112290049
They love the US so they're way more likely to attack China who they actually hate.
>>
>>112284610
>not even veiled reccomendation post
>>
>>112281213
What you're asking for is an anime where everyone is a completely unapologetic asshole to each other, all the time. Japs are physically incapable of being much more than passive aggressive, much less in an amusing way.
>>
>>112267778
Because Japan fucked China over, and China fucked themselves over just after that.

If Japan didn't invade, China would probably never become a socialist state, and Mao would never be in power, which
means there would be no cultural revolution.

Japan at the time was too militaristic and barbaric to care for animation. It was much more suited for the victimized chinks with a great ancient culture to draw inspiration from. The first animated Asian feature film (Princess Iron Fan) came from China, not Japan and it was made under very hard conditions. It came out in 1941 when the war with the Japanese was in full swing.

So no, it has nothing to do with Japanese culture. It has more to do with the fact that Japan basically got nuked, and therefore became the victim.

Only victims will make animation. It's an outlet for them to speak out against any injustice.
>>
>>112291424
>Because Japan fucked China over,

Definitely not the British and the other Western traders
>>
>>112291424
So how come America was king of animation from the 30's to the 60's?
America was the world power back then.
>>
>>112291567
The Great Depression.
>>
>>112291494
We're not talking about the same time period. Animation was still in its infancy during the Opium Wars.
>>
>>112291758
meh your post was 100% stupid anyway
>>
>>112291808
It's also true.

Imperial Japan was barbaric and very ill suited for any creative endeavours like animation.

It was Tezuka who really opened it up.
>>
>>112290747
You really think China will have a boom of original, non-weebs artist when shameless plagiarism is basically a national sport?
>>
I honestly find it quite amazing that Japan has managed to create such a big industry around something like this.

Also, how come 80s/90s OVAs have so much better animation than anime in the 2000s? I know it has something to do with Japan being in the Golden Age where the economy was on the uprise and people wanted more anime(hence the boom of OVAs) but were key animators back then actually better? Their style seems way more tight and smooth than what we see in many anime today.
>>
>>112292244
They had actual an actual budget to work with.
>>
>>112292244
>OVAs

You answered your own question
>>
>>112280958
/thread
>>
>>112270568
This pic right here, is very accurate as to why Japan produces Anime.
>>
>>112292335
Lol his post horseshit

Even now Anime is still seen as 'for kids' in Japan.
>>
>>112292304
Another thing: It's generally accepted and understood that anime with higher budgets have better animation and production quality. How does this work? Do the key animators get better pay and hence work more?
>>
>>112292360
Hopefully you are pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>112291969
So what you're saying is that through the stifling of their warrior spirit, they found a creative one.
>>
File: Totallynotpokemon.jpg (49KB, 440x586px) Image search: [Google]
Totallynotpokemon.jpg
49KB, 440x586px
>>112292204
What wrong? you don't like China Index?
>>
>>112292404
You can hire more people to draw more frames, more detail. This is why movies tend to be better.
>>
>>112292451
>Saten in Index's clones

lal
>>
>>112292451
I want to see this now.
>>
>>112292464
That never occurred to me.

How many key animators would be involved in a TV series versus a movie production?
>>
>>112267778
saying that Japan produces the best comics and animation is like saying that USA produces the best food

fast food tastes good, is easy and adictive but it's not real food just like anime is not real culture
>>
>It's perfectly acceptable in Japanese society for an Adult to watch anime.

Holy shit stop spouting this nonsense as truth
>>
>>112267778
I think american animations and comics are also great and they are not inferior to those of Japan.

But american animations are created for children.
So if you compare both in terms of adult, Japan should win for there is no opponent in america and western countries.
>>
>>112292606
Come on, no animation remotely comes close to what Japan puts out these days.

Besides, what do you mean by "real culture"?
>>
File: Lies on the Internet.jpg (40KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
Lies on the Internet.jpg
40KB, 453x576px
>>112292682
>no animation remotely comes close to what Japan puts out these days.
>>
>>112269001
>Japs have the ball to end their comic
Yeah, no. Japs only end their comics when it stops selling.
>>
>>112292781
How about you refute my point then instead of being a retard about it? Barely anyone does traditional animation at all these days. Disney fired all their animators and Japan is the only country which has an industry built on hand-drawn animation.
>>
>>112292852
The French do some traditional animation.
>>
>>112292682
I mean that I rarely see anything meaningful in anime, it's usually cheap drama and characters simply don't behave like real people
>>
>>112292852
>What is France

fyi Disney can still do that classic 2D shit if they wanted to

Just because you're on /a/ doesn't mean you can freely post obviously horseshit lies.
>>
>>112292901
We're talking about animation here dumbass, not story. Did you even read the thread?
>>
>>112292682
>>112292852
korra is better animated than any anime this season>>112292852
>>
>>112292980
yes, comics and manga are not animated
>>
>>112292953
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/mar/07/disney-hand-drawn-animation
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/breaking-disney-just-gutted-their-hand-drawn-animation-division-81043.html

Disney is all 3D now, don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about kiddo.
>>
>>112292989
I haven't watched that so I can't comment.
>implying this isn't obvious bait

>>112293065
Read the OP again
>>
>>112293069
Disney still uses 2D in their production.
>>
>>112293069
>Disney doesn't do 2D anymore

What is Phineas and Ferb/Gravity Falls then
>>
>>112277256
can you link me to the archive?
At least give me the key words so I can find it easily.
Thanks~
>>
>>112293233
>What is Phineas and Ferb/Gravity Falls then
Shit.
>>
File: Spurdo.png (33KB, 685x452px) Image search: [Google]
Spurdo.png
33KB, 685x452px
>>112293279
ebin

I guess it means you lost the argument then.
>>
>>112293262
Just search " Why is manga more popular " into foolz. Jesus.
>>
>>112293348
I'm not him though.
>>
>>112293381
Prove it
>>
File: 1383396751339.jpg (86KB, 678x718px) Image search: [Google]
1383396751339.jpg
86KB, 678x718px
>>112293425
I don't even know what the argument was I just came in to say those shows are shit.
>>
>>112292606
What you wrote here what we call a false analogy.

That said, both of the things you were comparing do happen to be awful, but its more coincidence, than relation.
>>
>>112293512
Oh ok, i don't even watch them anyway
>>
>>112293262
Actually here https://archive.foolz.us/co/thread/63531016/#63535730
Goddammit I can't believe I searched that for you.
>>
>>112290747
I have a very hard time believing that china will become the forefront of animation in the next 50 years. Their censorship is outrageous and most likely not going to change and they have a current history of copying things artistically from other countries. Its sad that they could have been pioneers in animation if it weren't for Mao's cultural revolution and even more sad at how destructive the cultural revolution fucked up china and its people. However, I do see china doing a lot of the CGI grunt work along with India in the future while the creative minds from Japan , America and other first world countries produce and make the stories for the many forms of media in the future.
>>
>>112290049
>They still haven't gotten over Nagasaki and Hiroshima afterall
Yeah having two of their cities nuked tends to leave a bitter taste.
Be thankful your own horrendous country hasn't been nuked, USAs ego wouldn't be able to cope and we'd end up losing most of the world to nuclear warfare.
>>
File: Tips Fedora.png (51KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
Tips Fedora.png
51KB, 370x370px
>>112294516
>USA is a horrendous country
>>
>>112294617
He's right on the ego part you know.

Back when the second Irak war started and France was the only country in the western world to point out it was a criminal and useless move, they went out of their way to launch the full force of the Bloomgoldbergstein Hollywood propaganda machine against them and turm them into the cheese eating surrender monkey they're known as today, simply because they didn't like being called out on their shit. You can see today how well that war went by the way.
>>
File: 1406272381809.png (230KB, 769x720px) Image search: [Google]
1406272381809.png
230KB, 769x720px
>>112267778
oppression lots and lots of oppression
>>
>>112277507
Of course the USA isn't pro-conformity, what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>112296032
france deserves every ridicule they can get
>>
>>112285406
>they pander to white supremacists instead

But Tintin doesn't talk about the scientific differences between races, which is actually true, unlike your statement.
>>
>>112296379
>I've always wondered how Japan came to produce the greatest animation, comics, etc; compared to every other country. Especially for such a small place, which has only been relatively modern since the last 100 or so years. Is there some kind of sociopolitical aspect that I'm unaware of? Please enlighten me /a/.
Judging from all these posts, I don't think everyone here knows the answer. For starter, nobody pulls a statistics or a citation from an academic book, and nobody tries to form a coherent argument. It's all armchair and wild guesses. No, I don't know either. I'm just disappointed by you, /a/.
>>
>>112297108
Oops, meant for >>112267778
>>
>>112290830
Damn, Chinese animation is so symbolic and subtle. It's like they're fighting each others with anime.
>>
>>112277682
South Park was better than all of them.
>>
>>112297511
Are you high
>>
holly shit is this all it took for this place to turn into /pol/
>>
>>112293590
>>112293353

Heh, actually, I already got the result before.
Thanks btw
>>
>>112285694
/b/ already made KS
>>
>>112282589
Not a liquid per se, but it is flowing.
>>
File: 1402107937683.jpg (14KB, 398x395px) Image search: [Google]
1402107937683.jpg
14KB, 398x395px
>>112272439
>Calvin&Hobbesfags
Is there a more detestable fanbase? Sure their comic is good but they hype it up to the heavens and beyond.
>>
>>112303328
?
>>
>>112303328
[source required]
>>
>>112285795
no gr8 b8 m8, try again l8er
>>
File: hope.jpg (2MB, 4327x3869px) Image search: [Google]
hope.jpg
2MB, 4327x3869px
Please read this.
>>
File: toumanpreaching.jpg (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
toumanpreaching.jpg
146KB, 1280x720px
>>112267778
>Is there some kind of sociopolitical aspect that I'm unaware of?
That too, you have to keep busy all these 130 millions, so they wont start thinking. That's why they create most of the media they consume. Media and Education standards are the main tools that help to create desired outlook. Note that anime is especially popular between teenagers and kids, the most vulnerable to ideological influence social group.

This media machine promotes nationalistic values, so most Japanese don't care about international politics, history of other countries and foreign languages unless it affects their life directly.

We also know about their office life mentality and paid education. It's hard to get to the good school/university and climb social ladder at their kaisha.

Because of these aspects all those NEET are born. They have this SHIT TON of media they can waste their time on, and live on pensions and allowances of their parents. Kinda natural selection in a narrow place. They HAVE to make people live like that because they have no alternative to capitalistic ideology.

And because of the Internet, we (gaijins) got access to that media machine. We just satisfy our media needs with anime an manga, because they have a shit ton of it and create new media-food faster than anyone else. It's not any mastermind that tries to rule over the world with all that shit we eat and discuss every day.

Also ecchi and jav popularizes anonizm so they won't breed too much.
>>
>>112277801
>lol, just lol.
Leave.
>>
>>112304576
Imagine if they start making anime based on recognized around the world literature instead of their shitty manga and ranobes, written by young perverts and otakus.
>>
>>112304976
ranobes?
>>
>>112304998
Light novels
>>
>>112305084
I suspected it was that, but I asked just to make sure.
Manga and LNs are just another medium to tell a story. They are not better than normal books, just like a cinema movie isn't necesseraly better than a TV Movie.
>>
>>112289694

No I'm English but I don't think it makes a difference because I've known quite a few people here that love it.
>>
>>112296032

I still can't believe freedom fries was a thing.
>>
>>112305885
They swept that under the rug pretty fast. Shamefur dispray etc etc
>>
>>112276538
Reminder that you'll never be a beat hipster.
>>
>>112277183
>>112275470
The "ending" has very little importance in Eastern storytelling in general, also Anno can't budget for shit.
>>
>>112267778
Mangas fill the spot that novels have in the west
>>
File: 1407618377568.png (114KB, 234x245px) Image search: [Google]
1407618377568.png
114KB, 234x245px
>>112271427
>And they both share habits like driving on the left hand side of the road, so that you could attack the person coming the opposite way with your strong hand, should you need to.
>>
>>112283559
Blizzard were always good in making cinematics
>>
>>112284133
I like Alan Moore's comics
>>
File: 12.gif (911KB, 450x252px) Image search: [Google]
12.gif
911KB, 450x252px
>>112267778
>greatest
>>
>>112306819
I enjoy mass effect games
>>
>>112274595
Switzerland is better with economy. How the fuck do you stay relevant by promising the other countries "sure I'll hold your money".
>>
>>112306732
Any well funded game company can do the same thing.
Go check out some of Riot's cinematics
I fucking hate leauge and even I admit the cinematics look good
>>
File: chara06.png (175KB, 327x665px) Image search: [Google]
chara06.png
175KB, 327x665px
>>112268289

Harro, /co/ here. I'd argue a lot of the problem in western comics revolves around a handful of issues.

Another anon >>112281994 kindly brought up the copyright issue, so I'll leave that one out. A major problem for independent artists in the current publishing model is the necessity to be tied into a major publisher - and in doing so, lose almost all creative control over your work. Publishers might let you stay edgy and relevant for a year or two to boost sales, but by the end of it your hero will be mainstreamed and your scripts will be washed for political correctness. If you try to publish independently, you run into huge throughput problems in which even if your comic becomes successful, it is difficult to obtain due to your (laughably small) publisher not being able to keep up with demand, neutering your current and future sales.

There's also the quality issue. Some major publishers (Marvel, Marvel, Marvel) can get away with a pretty cover and absolute shit inside because fuck you, you'll buy it. However, smaller titles require much more work to remain favorably viewed by critics and audiences.

In the last regard, I think Japan absolutely did it right - by keeping only covers in color and the material (largely) in black and white, they've kept production turn times and costs down.

The western comics issue will sort itself out by either an increase in publishing groups due to a wider and larger audience, or it won't sort out and I'll see you fags at Captain America 5.
>>
>>112307025
Well, they did get some of the talent behind this after WB fucked them over.
>>
>>112273051
That was a fun thread.
>>
>>112280958
Ehh, true for mainstream stuff, but there are a few western comics that match the greatest manga, namely Sandman.
>>
>>112281994
The difference between Life + 50 and Life + 70 in copyright length doesn't explain the difference between Japan and USAs comic/animation industry

Japan also have a stricter copyright law than the US when it comes to parody and fair use.
>>
>>112307915
Copyright have nothing to do with the issues in the american comic industry. They killed themselves by publishing everything in same universe with same reoccurring heroes for +50 years, compare to Japan where all the series in WSJ are in their own universe which the author have control over instead of being limited by editor who tries to keep the universe somewhat consistent.
>>
>>112280958
In the west we still have the animation age ghetto to deal with, and nobody wants to deal with it.
>>
File: 1406580908444.jpg (7KB, 255x220px) Image search: [Google]
1406580908444.jpg
7KB, 255x220px
>>112309545
>be American
>read manga most of my life
>decide to check out more Western comics since why not
>Start with Sandman
>literal tie-ins with Batman,Constantine and other shit which gives the setting a very disjointed consistency
>read how some comics are carried for decades by changing authors like clothing

who ever thought this shit was ok
>>
>>112292244
Animation boom meant more money, which meant better quality.
>>
>>112267778
folded japanese paper thousand times blood sweat and yamato damashii
>>
>>112306785
Everybody does.
>>
Did somebody tip off /co/ about this thread? They sure get pissy around the truth.
>>
File: adhd.gif (197KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
adhd.gif
197KB, 500x500px
>>112293233
>Comparing the animation of some shitty flash show to even the most basic anime
Is this trolling or some legit, pathetic attempt at "my team is better than yours"?
>>
>>112287821
>The majority of Americans have terrible taste in humor

>implying Japanese sense of humor isn't any better
>>
>>112281073
That's why it airs at 2 am.
>>
>>112283511
It's strange how many people who hate anime and manga crawl out of the woodwork to post in threads like this one.
>>
>>112269132
>How much of a fucking weaboo can you be
We are on /a/ remeber and /jp/ is right next door
>>
>>112276968

>Because less censorship and not wanting to appeal to a wider audience.

The "less censorship" title has dwindle a bit in recent years. But seriously, what are you smoking? It is because they appealed to wider audiences is that anime gained ground. The biggest mistake in the 1950s was to make anime appeal to kids only. Read up on the "Dark Age of Animation".

> Also, no stupid complaints about submissive women

Because Japan's, let lone Asia's feminist movement haven't gained ground like in the "west". As well as many women got into the act of the deception of women in anime.

>or no blacks or other shit like that.

Because Japan is a homogeneous and somewhat nationalist nation with strict immigration laws and weak leftist politics. As with America, with certain wanting to be part of or want their perspectives be shown in the wider society, you're bound to have thing like this.
Thread posts: 507
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.