[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Evangelion is legitimately too deep for people when they fail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 31

File: EoE6.png (506KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
EoE6.png
506KB, 900x506px
Evangelion is legitimately too deep for people when they fail to comprehend the message that's spelled out for them throughout the series and claim to dislike the characters even though they were all deliberately depicted as horrible people.

The "2deep4u" shit may come off as a joke to some, but when many can't grasp elementary facts like these, it legitimately flies over their heads completely. Can you prove me wrong?
>>
>>109657610
That's true.
Sure, the christian symbols were bullshit but it's sad to see some people not even try to understand the message.
>>
>>109657684
>the christian symbols were bullshit
whatever, they looked fucking cool
>>
yeah, thats the black irony of the whole phrase
>>
>>109657610
I can't prove you wrong though, because you're absolutely right.

Today, OP was not a faggot.
>>
File: 1390286025152.jpg (57KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1390286025152.jpg
57KB, 260x260px
>>109657610
>>
>>109657747
Not really. They weren't used well. If you have no idea at all what they mean, maybe you can think the shapes and such look "cool," but they have no real bearing on any of the meanings those symbols have.
>>
So people can't dislike the characters because they were purposefully made to be unlikeable?

>N-no you don't understand, you can't actually dislike mai waifu since she was made to be a piece of unlikable shit.
>>
Wasn't the message of Evangelion "get a gf you fucking neckbeard" or something like that ?
>>
>>109657986
Grab some balls and go outside.
>>
>>109657961
I think that it's okay to dislike them personally, but it's idiotic to refer to them as badly-written characters.

I-If that makes any sense to you.
>>
File: thehorror.jpg (255KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
thehorror.jpg
255KB, 640x960px
Maybe you're right, OP. But my opinion of the show remains unchanged, regardless of whatever deep messages it tries to convey. It is a boring and shitty show and I'll never understand why people hail it as a classic. I'm surprised it's not mocked and laughed at by a majority of viewers.
>>
File: da.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
da.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>109657986
>>109658098
Very close to that, I think.

This is what I got from it, probably wrong: no matter what path you take in life, shit's gonna happen, and you can't expect anything to be always rainbows and smiles. You can't be happy unless you hurt people sometimes. Life and socialization as a whole are fundamentally broken, so don't expect others to make the first move, and stop trapping yourself into a bubble. You're not a special snowflake, and everyone has issues; there's no such thing as normalfags, and the only reason NEETs are NEETs is because they choose to keep themselves trapped, not because people won't talk to them. We all see ourselves as "not fitting in" or "trapped" and think the world is against us, while everyone's suffering the way we are. We're all misfits and idiots and horrible people, so get over it, and start living life like normal so you can see the good parts.

Unfortunately, too many people saw that as "life sucks, and always will suck", and just decided to stay home and be angry about it.
>>
File: Black Rei in a White Rei town.jpg (100KB, 646x900px) Image search: [Google]
Black Rei in a White Rei town.jpg
100KB, 646x900px
>>109658308
>Not mocked at and laughed at by a majority of viewers

I've seen it get piles of crap, actually. Not entirely undeserved, either.
>>
>>109657986
>>109657986
Yes and no. Evangelion is in many ways about depression. It's common for depressed people to be told to "snap out of it" or "cheer up" or "just be happy." The frustration that the viewer feels towards Shinji ("Get in the fucking robot Shinji!!!!") mimics the way society treats people with depression. So in a way, Anno gets the audience to participate in that. Shinji's internal battle of self-acceptance can be applied to many people, and so yeah, I guess neckbeards can fit into that.
>>
>>109657684
They aren't christian symbols. Ask a christian who lilith is. It's jewish symbolism and it makes a lot of sense if you read about it.
>>
>>109658177
I think it's perfectly reasonable to claim unrealistically whiny shit characters are bad.
>>
>>109658357
This and also how a NEET's vision isn't worth much. When you keep yourself trapped your vision of yourself is trapped too and you can't even imagine a possibility of evolution or have faith in the future. And that's wrong.

Also, the whole "take care of yourself, because in the end it's the only thing you have". I could develop it but with my shitty english and since I don't have much time, I'll stop here.
>>
>>109657881
trust me i know what they mean.
>>
I can't prove you wrong if you're right.
>>
>>109658618
You've hit it on the head. NEET vision isn't trustable, because being inside your own bubble makes you form misconceptions about yourself and the world.

Also, while we're here- why the fuck has there been no Kensuke/Mari shipping art?
>>
File: 4chanShinji.png (215KB, 1898x560px) Image search: [Google]
4chanShinji.png
215KB, 1898x560px
>>109658526
Not this fucking shit again.

>Character is depressed because he grew up abandoned by his father and without a caring guardian.
>Grew up isolated, depressed, without friends, and with an inferiority complex as a result
>Is suddenly called, practically against his own will, to fight giant aliens using a giant weapon
>Is able to feel the pain his weapon suffers, including having his hands being drilled and nearly being vaporized
>Coupled with mentally/emotionally unstable people
>"Man, what a fucking pussy. I'd do way better in his shoes."
>>
File: 7771_73c4_960.jpg (560KB, 960x859px) Image search: [Google]
7771_73c4_960.jpg
560KB, 960x859px
Why is it impossible for girls to understand Evangelion?

DemolitionD was right, if you think Evangelion is "2deep4u" you are clearly retarded and ironically stating the obvious.

You aren't using "2deep4u" as an insult to people who like it, you're using it to describe yourself because it obviously had too much depth for you.
>>
>>109657610
I always thought Eva's message was spelled out for you as well, never understood the 2deep4u thing. That's what's frustrating about being an evafag, everyone thinks you like it because it's DEEP when it isn't at all. All the imagery is just fluff to tell a story about a kid who thinks he doesn't have a place in the world even though it wasn't true. It's enduring because of its simplicity and how relevant that feeling will always be to someone out there.
>>
>>109659223
>That's what's frustrating about being an evafag, everyone thinks you like it because it's DEEP when it isn't at all
/thread?
>>
File: 1403630615267.jpg (75KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1403630615267.jpg
75KB, 640x480px
>>109658357
I would like to add that the whole NEET/otaku interpretation is just a special case, as you kind of already said, the message holds true for everyone, since everyone has those feelings to some extent.
>>
>>109659306
The thing is I wouldn't even say, like the OP, that people are really that stupid to have it go over their head. It has to be that they either never gave it a chance or are just trying to stir shit up. Or maybe I'm giving people too much credit.
>>
>>109657610
2DEEP4U refers to the plot. It's convoluted, badly presented and hard to understand.
>>
>>109659524
Thank you for proving OP's point.
>>
>>109659554
I'm not talking about the message.
>>
>>109657610
It is not deep, it is pretentious. You can't grasp what is not there. Get it right, please.
>>
>>109659001
Sure is Sympathetic Sue around here.

Shinji is nothing but an unrealistic tool for Anno to shove his emo point down your throat. He's not even a consistent character.
>>
>>109659490
Well, you can never totally rule out stupidity as a factor, but I think you're right. Most of the time it seems like people aren't able to get over the perception of the show as super 'deep' and confusing that's in the cultural consciousness and really engage with it.
>>
>>109659554
Congratulations, you are a moron. Anno literally creates scenes that have no answer or make no sense for retarded fans like you to fanwank shit.

>hurr what did Gendo say
>both the shit endings
>>
I feel like the reason people don't understand eva is because it is both supposed to be incredibly shallow and also deep.

It is supposed to be Neon Genesis, it is a chinese cartoon that in some sense is only about the self, the beginning of all stories.

If you hate yourself so much that you can't take any story line seriously why would anything ever be entertaining? So Anno tried to take on this myth of self hatred, a myth because if you really hated yourself you wouldn't be here, and created a story that was literally about one thing, the paradox of self hatred. That's basically the show's only theme. All the freudian shit, the psychological complexes, the angels, the wimmen, the AT fields, the porcupines, are just there to truly convince you that shinji hates himself. And from there it sets up EOE and the final two episodes.

In some sense it is very deep because you can get to self hatred through basically any conceivable personality. But the show is literally only about one thing.

On a more post modern scale, it tackles the essential question. If one of arts goals is to empathize with the viewer, and the viewer truly loathes himself, how can you create a cartoon that that sort of individual would really like? BEcause chinese cartoons hadn't tackled that question
(which is complete bullshit, obviously other cartoons have tackled the notion of self hatred, but similar to post modernism: evangelion somehow gets to be called the evangelion of anime although it has no right to call itself that)

which is why "neon genesis" evangelion is the evangelion of anime. Because by taking the case study of shinji it showed how self hatred is literally bullshit, and that art can be enjoyed, because it is ok for you to be here. It doesn't matter how many times your impotence gets asuka murdered, or how much of a prayer understanding others is, all you can do is love yourself.
>>
File: 1403584752890.jpg (50KB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1403584752890.jpg
50KB, 600x444px
>>109659206
>Why is it impossible for girls to understand Evangelion?

Because women think men are two-dimensional. Women don't understand the most basic aspects of manhood and brotherly love.
>>
>>109659879
To add on, the central conceit of the show trips people up a lot too, I think. It's why you get all the 'why didn't shinji just act like a person who wasn't chronically depressed & lugging around tons of baggage' , threads. The whole idea that the show is explicitly about this kind of thinking and about these kind of people and that's the lens the whole world of the show is created through seems lost on people a lot.
>>
File: Asuka Photorealistic.jpg (156KB, 850x1700px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka Photorealistic.jpg
156KB, 850x1700px
>>109659860
You mean teenagers with consistent emotions and personalities actually exist?

Do you know where I can find them? They'd be great conversationalists.

I'd also like to note that Asuka spends more screen time whining than Shinji.
>>
>>109658357
How can you be wrong about your own interpretation of a story?
>>
>>109660000
And so people who don't think evangelion is good thus fall into two camps
1. Those who are stupid enough to think that self hatred is a legitimate concept.
2. Those who see Eva for the pure masturbation that it is. Because the show is literally about finding fulfillment in the self, i.e. masturbation. And obviously masturbation from an exterior perspective is rarely appealing
(though sometimes it is appealing, that would be what is called "understanding each other, i.e. love".
>>
>>109657610
The manga is much more comprehensible than the anime imo. But for the major themes (overcoming depression) you can get both.
>>
>>109659591
How is the plot even hard to understand anyway? It starts out as a simple "monster of the week show" before turning into a psychological drama when Anno decided to make it more character-driven.

>>109659860
You're not this stupid, are you? How is Shinji inconsistent or unrealistically emo? He suffers, which results in him being sad. He gradually grows a little confident over the course of the series when things happen like Gendo saying he did a good job and whatnot, before having his short-lived confidence crushed before his very eyes as the bad things begin to easily outweigh the small good things.
>>
>>109660037
Shinji didn't act like a chronically depressed person. At least not until EoE.
>>
File: 1364703140527.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1364703140527.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>nearly 20 years later
>people still won't shut the fuck up about this shit show
I thought it would it pass eventually, bad enough living through 90s and early 2000s with you spastic evatards.
>>
File: Dark.jpg (456KB, 622x800px) Image search: [Google]
Dark.jpg
456KB, 622x800px
>>109660073
Wait. You're right.

Evangelion is fictional. I can declare anything as "canon" or "non-canon", and it won't be any more or less true. Evangelion is whatever I want it to be.

Thank you, Anno.
>>
>>109660051
DAT character depth
>>
>>109660178
/a/ is one of those rare places where a lot of people come together to claim Evangelion is hard to understand. I can see why. The majority of people just thinks Evangelion is pretenious as fuck.
>>
>>109660230
that's not really what he was saying at all, but sure
>>
>>109660178
>How is the plot even hard to understand anyway?
It's convoluted.
>before turning into a psychological drama when Anno decided to make it more character-driven.
Except this is not true. Almost every new episode bring up new plot elements.
>>
>>109660289
It's self-indulgent and preachy.
>>
The only pretentious part about Eva is its Christian imagery and whatnot, but if you let that bother you and let it get in the way of the story & message, all you need to do is grow a brain cell or two.

Speaking as someone who thought Eva was just okay.
>>
I find Evangelion to be nothing but a joke. Especially the fanbase.

read this shit>>109658357 then look at the merchandizing capitalizing on the waifu shit and the retarded loser fans like asukafags obsessing over a stupid 14 year old bitch
>>
File: 1403514294927.jpg (24KB, 480x336px) Image search: [Google]
1403514294927.jpg
24KB, 480x336px
>>109660209

The fact Eva is still talked about today is the fault of on one but the anime industry. They've lost any semblance of subtlety, which makes people feel fucking stupid. So everyone just discusses the same shows over and over again because the bulk of everything coming out is vapid bullshit.

People still talk about shit like Eva, Lain, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, NHK, etc. because these shows touch on timeless themes while exploring the doubt and insecurity of the Second Gilded Age we are living in. Lain in particular is more relevant now than it was in 1998. Welcome to the NHK is becoming even more relevant due the spread of the NEET lifestyle across America and Europe.
>>
>>109660642
Sadly this, moeshit is the bane of anime.
>>
>>109660864
>moeshit
>>
>>109660642
>They've lost any semblance of subtlety,
What a complete load of shit. Evangelion isn't subtle. There are plenty of anime after it far more intelligent and subtle.

People don't discuss the technological applications in anime like Ghost in the Shell or Dennou Coil, the unique fantasy world of Twelve Kingdoms or Berserk, the very strong Japanese military and political themes of Patlabor, the philosophy in Vagabond,etc because these are actually intelligent topics. People discuss Evangelion because it is dumb ass emotional shit for dumb ass emotional viewers.
>>
>>109657610
>Characters are deliberately unlikable
>Prove me wrong

What do you want to be proven wrong?

I get that the show is about depression. I know all the other shit is too make it look fancy.
I still think the shows is average and I personally don't like it.
>>
>>109657610
I think that Eva is trying to make a point about how shoving a young kid into a giant robot and telling him to save the world is not the smartest thing to do. Problem is, Eva makes its point by doing that exact thing.
>>
File: feels.png (14KB, 198x237px) Image search: [Google]
feels.png
14KB, 198x237px
>tfw you will never truly appreciate eva because you're not clinically depressed
>>
>>109657610
well shit, you got 6 replies until someone shit on you. That's impressive.
>>
>>109662231
being on this site is a sign of clinical depression
>>
File: 1398351650424.jpg (55KB, 600x334px) Image search: [Google]
1398351650424.jpg
55KB, 600x334px
>>
>>109662231
>mfw I was clinically depressed, /a/ would call it edgy, when I first watched NGE. You'd be surprised how healing it can be for certain people. I'm not gonna say NGE has any therapeutic value, but it surely helped me develop a better perspective of the world around me and myself.
>>
File: 1403235736096.png (26KB, 397x262px) Image search: [Google]
1403235736096.png
26KB, 397x262px
>>109662231
>tfw you will over-appreciate Eva because you are clinically depressed
>>
File: 1331079685461.png (278KB, 500x341px) Image search: [Google]
1331079685461.png
278KB, 500x341px
>>109660178
>How is the plot even hard to understand anyway?

Not that guy, but the mechanics behind the whole thing (and thus what half the mumbo-jumbo in the show means) are never directly spelled out. What we've come to know for sure is pretty simple, but we're never really told any of it and half of what we know we only know from rewatching it like 60 bajillion times and analyzing it to death. Unit 00's soul is a great example of this. Is it Rei I? Probably, but we don't know that for sure. It could very well be Noako Akagi. The fact that we even have to debate these things is a testament to how convoluted Eva is.

Eva is so convoluted that many important plot points are not only not revealed in the series itself, but that fans couldn't even pierce it together on their own. Where did the seeds come from? What is the Lance of Longinus? What do people mean when they say "god" in Eva? What exactly are the Dead Sea Scrolls? We needed NGE2 to give us a lot of the information we needed to know about NGEs backstory and impact mechanics, and thus what most of the actions that occur in the show mean.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Eva. But people who swear they understood everything there was to know about Eva the first time they watched it are just posturing for attention, and it’s kind of pathetic.
>>
>>109658308
Go watch Soul Eater, faggot
>>
File: 19brgg2irx9hggif.gif (494KB, 250x168px) Image search: [Google]
19brgg2irx9hggif.gif
494KB, 250x168px
>>109660178
Amen.
>>
>>109657610
"Y-You shouldn't dislike the characters just because they're designed to be hated."
OP of the year, all years.
>>
>>109662729
I still cry when I see shinji on his train.
>>
File: 1383981072047.jpg (37KB, 440x267px) Image search: [Google]
1383981072047.jpg
37KB, 440x267px
>>109662231
I know that feel.

I was slightly amused about how one of the messagesw as about overcoming the hedgehog dillema/people are worth the trouble. In my experience, the opposite has been true, and I haven't really begun to isolate myself until recent years.

Maybe Japan is different, whether due to racial homogeneity or some other factor. But certainly in the Western World, I find that even the people that are worth my time tend to be dull.

I guess I can't afford to be mad though, with some of my expectations.
>>
File: eva.jpg (53KB, 520x383px) Image search: [Google]
eva.jpg
53KB, 520x383px
>>109657610
>>
File: 1403144168422.png (218KB, 382x346px) Image search: [Google]
1403144168422.png
218KB, 382x346px
>>109663901
>using quotations instead of >
>>
Dat fucking opening tho. I could get down to Cruel Angel Thesis any day of the week.
>>
File: CNUIt.gif (368KB, 380x298px) Image search: [Google]
CNUIt.gif
368KB, 380x298px
>>109664085
>>
>>109664018
>>109664018
>No good arguements
>Just post pictures mocking OP's physical appearance.
>???
>Autism!
>>
>>109662729
I am clinically depressed and I find Eva overrated. It's still one of the best TV anime.
>You'd be surprised how healing it can be for certain people.
Meh.
>>
File: duane-dance-o.gif (2MB, 320x213px)
duane-dance-o.gif
2MB, 320x213px
>>109664132
>>
So. Just insert some symbols from various religions and it becomes deep even if there is no message due to the mamy interpretations it may have? I'd rather go and read The Bible. Stop being such faggots.
>>
>>109664160
I second this.

>>109664167
Not even a little? How much have you watched?
>>
File: 1316225536366.png (9KB, 336x330px) Image search: [Google]
1316225536366.png
9KB, 336x330px
>>109664160
>>???
>>Autism!

Don't do that.
>>
>>109664294
Make me
>>
>>109664242
The religious symbolism is not at all what makes Eva deep. You seriously need to get your head out of your ass.
>>
>>109664265
>Not even a little? How much have you watched?
Everything.
>Not even a little?
It's really nothing new.
>>
File: 1402844310295.jpg (85KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1402844310295.jpg
85KB, 600x857px
>>109664343
You sure got him with those hot opinions
>>
>>109664404
I know right? I'm the master debater. A cunning linguist if you would
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma37MgOjhtI
>>
File: 1396684141819.png (427KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1396684141819.png
427KB, 640x480px
>>109664531
You're pretty good.
>>
The lack of moeshit disturbs them.
>>
File: 1348527743924.gif (451KB, 544x384px) Image search: [Google]
1348527743924.gif
451KB, 544x384px
>>109665187
>Eva
>Lack of Moeshit

Nigga what the fuck you smokin? Eva was written from day 1 to be the ultimate otaku anime. You've got lots of cute 14-yer-old girls running around in skintight bodysuits. You've got harem elements. You've got mecha. You've got fanservice.

Eva shifted to be a criticism of otaku culture and common tropes later on but all the basic otakubait is still there.
>>
>>109665187
Rei was pretty moe
>>
>>109658477
she was on a cross tho

there were crosses all over the place
>>
File: sanic.png (100KB, 405x409px) Image search: [Google]
sanic.png
100KB, 405x409px
so what was that hedgehog's dilemma thing they always talk about
>>
File: 1365144274587.png (30KB, 504x566px) Image search: [Google]
1365144274587.png
30KB, 504x566px
>>109658477
>It's jewish symbolism

>Main bad guys are an elite, secretive group who controls the world.
>Have access to massive amounts of money, use it to manipulate world governments.
>Religious objectives.
>Big noses.
>Funny accents.

God it all makes sense now.
>>
>>109666043
they literally spell it out for you dumb fuck
>>
File: 1399894984898.jpg (45KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1399894984898.jpg
45KB, 400x400px
>>109666545
>>
If you think the show is bad because of the plot then you are watching it wrong
>>
>>109666043
going TOO fast
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.