[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any good laptops to model on? I don't need to worry about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 13

Any good laptops to model on?
I don't need to worry about rendering, I do the majority at home, but I'm gonna be out of the house a lot from now on, I wanna keep modelling/animating while I'm on the train commuting, or on work lunch-break, so preferably not a big machine.
I'd also ask about laptops I can use Unreal 4 on, or Mudbox, but I dunno if that's getting a bit too ambitious.
Either way, I'd need something small, but capable enough to model without chugging.
>>
File: 1448209732962.gif (465KB, 405x253px) Image search: [Google]
1448209732962.gif
465KB, 405x253px
>>511592
>I wanna keep modelling/animating while I'm on the train commuting, or on work lunch-break,
>>
>>511594
I wanna get as much practice in as possible anon, how else am I meant to get better?
>>
File: GardenGate_1.png (46KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
GardenGate_1.png
46KB, 960x540px
The Lenovo Y500 (what you have pictured)
can handle Solidworks, Blender, Sculptris, Adobe CS whatever, and play GTA5 with only intermittent frame skips.

Can't really comment on the battery life though (always plugged in).

No complaints here
>>
>>511596
actually now that i think of it, this fucker chuggs as soon as it's not attached to an outlet
>>
File: 81iyq-yRwKL._SL1500_.jpg (176KB, 1500x1145px) Image search: [Google]
81iyq-yRwKL._SL1500_.jpg
176KB, 1500x1145px
>>511592

>>511431
Do not bother with the touchpad though, definitely get a small travel mouse. I suggest the Logitech M510
>>
>>511601
That said, you can find that y500 for pretty cheap now.
>>
hey guys
I dont want to start another hardware thread, so Im posting my question here

Im looking to build cheap rig,
will intel i3, 8gbram be enough for substance painter? Im talking i3 integrated graphics without any dedicated card.

I will probably buy card anyway within few months, but it would be nice to use substance painter in that time
>>
>>511611
yes, but i don't know if you could do 4k textures
>>
Asus Rog gaming laptops, i use a G751JY for modeling, lighting, rendering and comping in NukeX and this thing does it better than HP Z1 workstation comps. and im running a 24" monitor via Displayport at the same time and there are no performance drops with that.
>>
>>511595

>I wanna get as much practice in as possible anon, how else am I meant to get better?

Not the Anon your talking too - but you won't get "practice" with a laptop on a train or on a work break.

For a start, doing 3dcg in any environment where there is a lack of room to set up a mouse or tablet is pointless (eg on a train with Chad to your left and Susan to your right), at work its even more pointless as you'll be contending with -every- fucking breeding extrovert that sees you on said laptop and figures that your laptop is just an excuse to ignore them and what you need is to be forced to socialize (and trust me it leads to all sorts of ugly).

Then there is your boss who when he learns you want to do 3dcg, thinks that means he can give you more work as "3dcg won't lead anywhere and he'll be doing you a favor by adding another 10 hours to your work week" (mind you he won't pay you for any of it.

Then you have to deal with the fucktards in public places that can't leave anyone with a book/laptop/ipad alone (no matter how many times you ask them to move on) the retarded family members that start harassing you when your at that family event because your not being part of the event and all the lovely shit that normies come up with.

Much like everything else on the internet and to do with computers (like gaming, anime, ect) you should never -ever- talk or bring your 3dcg into the real world around other people.
>>
>>511758
>dat projection
>>
>>511770

>dat implication
>>
>>511758
>For a start, doing 3dcg in any environment where there is a lack of room to set up a mouse or tablet is pointless (eg on a train with Chad to your left and Susan to your right), at work its even more pointless as you'll be contending with -every- fucking breeding extrovert that sees you on said laptop and figures that your laptop is just an excuse to ignore them and what you need is to be forced to socialize (and trust me it leads to all sorts of ugly).

I know you really don't care, but since you typed so much, I figured I'd reply regardless.
I am absolutely not listening to this bullshit advice. I talk to people regularly about my gamedev hobby, usually with my friends at work, and I read manga/play handheld consoles on the train.
The bit about the boss is practically illegal here when you're on a permanent contract.
Bit about 'fucktards', I don't even know where to start. Where do you fucking live? These experiences just don't happen remotely in my day-to-day life regardless of whatever dorky shit I'm doing in public.
>>511758
tl;dr this
>>
File: 1451857612647.gif (480KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
1451857612647.gif
480KB, 493x342px
>>511758
>Then there is your boss who when he learns you want to do 3dcg, thinks that means he can give you more work as "3dcg won't lead anywhere and he'll be doing you a favor by adding another 10 hours to your work week" (mind you he won't pay you for any of it.
>>
>>511772
> dat ramification
>>
>>511592
i'm currently using a lenovo y50-70, and it's great.
>>
Any laptop is fine honestly, as long as it doesn't get super dense. Rendering on the other hand...well, shit.
>>
>>511592
May as well ask, I'd like to get a desktop that can use Maya LT or even just regular Maya with no issues since I'd like to start using UE4/Unity for gamedevelopment and even modeling. Are there any desktop PC's I can get for $1,000-1,500 that would fulfill that role?
>>
>>511841
Yes. You'll need an I7, 16GB RAM an SSD and a decent GPU. Just don't buy a prebuild PC. Buy the parts and put it together (or pay 50 extra to let someone else do it).
That way you pay less (or get better parts).
>>
File: 1420177576719.jpg (36KB, 210x202px) Image search: [Google]
1420177576719.jpg
36KB, 210x202px
>>511878
>I7, 16GB RAM an SSD
REEEETARD ALERT
>>
>>511878
16GB of RAM and an i7 for Maya LT and UE4/unity? fuck off idiot.
>>
File: gfy.jpg (158KB, 1386x1016px) Image search: [Google]
gfy.jpg
158KB, 1386x1016px
>>511893
>>511894
Here is what Epic has to say about that topic.
<--

If he wants to spent 1000+ $ he SHOULD get an I7, anything lesser is a waste of money.
RAM is cheap, Smaller SSDs are cheap.

I am sure if he wanted to know the Minimum Hardware Requirements he would have asked a different question, but he said he wanted to run Maya without Issues.
>>
File: 1453267820560.gif (2MB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
1453267820560.gif
2MB, 450x253px
>>511911
>Here is the spec we reccommend
>32 GIGABYTES RAM, SSD
>you actually BELIEVING this
>>
>>511911
Recommended is different from "minimum". You could get by with 6GB and a cheap i5 which is still quad core, just no hyper-threading for those extra 4 virtual threads.

An SSD is not essential at all, it's a perk at best.
>>
>>511911
8320,8350 with a decent cooler is good enough, anon
>>
>>511917
well, the specs he posted are for UE4, which is different from just plain old 3D modelling. That machine will have to do baking of lightmaps, volumetric textures, occlusion caches, precompiling shaders, compiling c++ code & blueprints, ..., all while displaying the editor GUI, the node editor, the actual game itself in a window and letting you interactively edit everything. It's like running a game and a complex 3D editor/modeller at the same time.

I have similar specs to what they recommend (16GiB RAM rather than 32) and it's still common when working with ue4 that I have to wait several minutes for certain tasks to complete. And yeah, when compilling shaders, the engine will actually happily eat some 16 gigabytes of RAM, believe it or not.
>>
>>511917
The epic guys seem to imply that 32 is the maximum. I actually believe 16 is enough, thats why i recommend 16.
>>511946
If an SSD makes my workflow faster, and spares me some waiting time i think its very beneficial. But i agree its not essential.
>>511950
Options, so many options....Last time i had an AMD was way back in the singlecore ages. I honestly don't know much about current gen AMD processors.
>>
>>511970
All you need to know about AMD CPUs is that they are failing hard and reporting massive losses. Intel is so far ahead of them now that it's embarrassing. AMD can barely even give their CPUs away. It's gotten to the point where a dual-core Core-i3 can beat a 6-core AMD of similar generation.
>>
>>511969
>well, the specs he posted are for UE4, which is different from just plain old 3D modelling. That machine will have to do baking of lightmaps, volumetric textures, occlusion caches, precompiling shaders, compiling c++ code & blueprints, ..., all while displaying the editor GUI, the node editor, the actual game itself in a window and letting you interactively edit everything. It's like running a game and a complex 3D editor/modeller at the same time.
...have you ever made a game, kid?
>>
>>511979
l2read, this is not about games but running the UE4 IDE.
>>
>>511999
learn 2 3D pls before you tell me to lrn2Read
>>
>>512000

sure, go ahead and explain how that's relevant

protip: you can't, just admit you've never booted up the UE4 editor and have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>512003
>sure, go ahead and explain how that's relevant
>protip: you can't, just admit you've never booted up the UE4 editor and have no idea what you're talking about.
I've used it, looked at the source, laughed at how poorly its written, closed it, uninstalled it, never touched it again.
>>
>>512006
Actually, UE4 is probably the best-written engine that is currently available on the market.

The viva64 analysts said the source is of "extraordinarily high quality". I don't think it has ever happened before that they have made positive remarks about the quality of a project they've analyzed before, and they've analyzed just about all of the big ones.

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/how-pvs-studio-team-improved-unreal-engines-code

so basically

> just admit that you have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>511592
If anything the Aorus X7v5 would be up for the task, but do expect quite the price tag.

Besides that the new Y700 series from Lenovo sure looks very promising!
>>
File: 1450833673024.png (9KB, 365x441px) Image search: [Google]
1450833673024.png
9KB, 365x441px
>>512022
>Actually, UE4 is probably the best-written engine that is currently available on the market.
>the market being unity, unreal, and cryengine
>>
>>512122
you got a problem with those facts ?
>>
>>512136
the best engines are the ones not publicly available, and this is a fact. Ever see code for a proprietary engine and then compare it to ue4? You'd laugh, too. Ever see an engine for a playstion 3/4 exclusive game and then look at ue4 and almost die laughing? Yeah, didnt think so, scrub.
>>
>>512137
so you are arguing that we are stupid for not using engines that we cant use.
>10/10
unreal 4 is still the best we can use
>>
>>512139
You can use them, you just need to get a job at a studio first. Why haven't you gotten a job yet, anon?
>>
>>512140
because im in school, and you cant use their engine for your own project still. personal projects can only be done on things you can get at home.
so unreal 4 is still the answer until frost engine beats it or some shit
>>
>>512142
>going to school for CG
>>
>>512143
sorry im trying to better myself
>>
>>512137
ah, yes, the old "this vague thing that I'm not going to name specifically and that you can neither look at nor test yourself is superior to what everyone else agrees on is superior"-argument. But hey, I too love making arguments that are vague and impossible to disprove.

I've worked at game-studios using internal engines before, and there were many terrible, hacked-together shit-stain or deeply platform-specific pieces of software involved. Engine-creators like epic care more about code-quality than your average studio that just wants to get their game out the door.

Two in-house engines that did get published publicly eventually are the idtech engines and the phyre engine. The idtech engines are generally considered to be of very high quality, but their code can be by no means considered modern anymore. Phyre is "just okay".

Also, in-house engines are becoming less and less of a thing, and UE4 is (and its previous iterations always have been) massively popular with AAA. So chances are (and are ever-increasing) that if you're getting hired by some big AAA studio, you're not going to work with a custom in-house engine anyway.
>>
My laptop has 8gb ram. i7. It's asus x555ln. I'm not going after high res renders but low poly things. Would this be god enough? I plan on building a pc but this is all I have atm so.
>>
>>512157

buh yu can do it FREH...youtube dawg
>>
>>512227
you can do the same for anything at MIT but the people who actually go to MIT get hired more often dont they
>>
>>512223
>dual core low-power i7
it's complete shit
>>
How would one of these be for low poly modelling(t420) I can get one with 8gb of ram.
>>
>>512387
slightly overkill
>>
Hijacking the thread a little.
I'm starting at another company and I've been asked to setup my own machine. I'm a Windows user but at the company I work for now I'm using a maxed out Mac Pro.
I'll be using Maya with Vray (although I'd like to try GPU rendering), Nuke and After Effects. I'll mostly do animation and VFX for commercials. What's a good build for this?
>>
>>512403
How so?
>>
>>512415
>lowpoly?
I rendered scenes with Million+ Polys on an 800mhz single core 10 years ago.
Everything better than that is enough for lowpoly.

Seriously though,Its a good machine and i am thinking about getting one of these thinkpads for myself.
>>
I've been meaning to get a tablet for a while now, and I'd like to get one that plays well enough with Blender. I make stuff for games, but I'm a big abuser of scrubsurf so I wouldn't exactly call it lowpoly. Would also like to be able to draw my textures and such on it. Anyone have much experience with Surface Pro 4 or the Spectre x2? Which seems less likely to be totally obsolete in a couple years!
>>
>>512428
That is meant to be "Surface Pro 3," by the way.
>>
>>512122
>the only engines used in modern game development are unity, unreal, and cryengine

Nigga what? You can not be this retarded, right?

There's Source, MT Framework, Crystal Engine, Rage, Dead Engine, Avalanche, IW, Anvil... the list goes on.

And no, just because your indie ass can't afford to license the engine does not mean the engine isn't part of the market.
>>
File: 1418346559152.jpg (60KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1418346559152.jpg
60KB, 500x375px
>>512710
>There's Source, MT Framework, Crystal Engine, Rage, Dead Engine, Avalanche, IW, Anvil... the list goes on.
come now. Those engines are all shit. Source engine looks like fuckin ass - the only thing that came out with it recently is titanfall and that looked like blops 1 which itself looked like quake 3.

>rage engine
bitch you had better be fucking shitting me. This engine is so inefficient and in teh end just looks like shit
>>
>>512712
>implying Unity is any better than source or rage

So that one makes the list but the others don't huh?

I'm not saying any of these engines are better than UE4, just that they exist and are out there.

I still personally prefer UE4.

Unity's in second when I just want to hammer something simple out. And that's mostly just because it uses C#.
>>
>>512723
wait....you were talking about rockstar advanced game engine r-right? RAGE engine?
>>
>>512724
Is there another engine called Rage out there?
>>
>>512727
its not the RAGE engine, its the Rockstar Advanced Game Engine.
>>
>>512728
It's abbreviated Rage.
>>
>>512729
you didnt even capitalize it...
>>
>>512730
Oh well sorry Mrs. Applebee, I hope you won't mark me points off on my essay for that.
>>
File: 1442588717199.jpg (40KB, 720x460px) Image search: [Google]
1442588717199.jpg
40KB, 720x460px
>>512731
How would you feel if you worked on an engine, shipped, and then every tool out there makes it seem like its from another company who made a lame desert fps
>>
>>512732
Do you expect me to really care though? Like really? When you google "Rage Engine", it's Rockstars engine that comes up as the top result, not whatever engine you're talking about. I don't even see it in any of the results on the first page so it may as well not exist and I'd say Rockstar won in any case.
>>
File: xxaaas.png (9KB, 536x170px) Image search: [Google]
xxaaas.png
9KB, 536x170px
can't speak about strictly 3D work, I don't do any animations and really only work in CAD software, but I do some heavy stuff in Revit, Rhino, Archicad, Artlantis, Photoshop and also use Maya (and to limited extend Sketchup and 3DSMax). I got myself "republic of gamers" laptop with a hideous design but pretty decent specs and enough slots to fill in 32GB of ram (and I'm really coming short with my 24 at times so I'm going to upgrade soon), also has backlit keyboard, doesn't overheat and is pretty portable (I carry it with me daily in a backpack and travel a lot, that's the reason I had to replace my desktop with laptop).

I guess you can get something much better for the cash I paid for it like a year ago but it's probably cheaper now and still relevant. If you don't mind the looks I can recommend it.
Also big, decent and non-glossy screen.
>>
>>512839
One thing more, I got myself an SSD and I'm not sure if I would do the same again. Doesn't seem to affect my workflow at all. Go for it only if you have some spare cash and really want to try it out yourself.
>>
>>512733
I think he was going on about that id Tech engine with the megatextures gimmick that was used for that Rage game.
>>
>>511592
I have a lenovo w540, pretty nice machine, not too huge, and it has the power to do modelling and rendering if you need it to. If all you're doing is modeling, anything with a decent i5 and at least 8 GB of ram, preferably 16, should be fine. An ssd might help with speed too, but probably not necessary. Or you could just get a lightweight, thin, not so powerful laptop and remote desktop to your PC at home, as long as you have internet.
>>
>>511611
I'd recommend an i5 if you can afford it. Also definitely get yourself a graphics card ASAP. Nvidia of course, because almost nothing in the content creation world is remotely compatible with AMD cards.
>>
>>512968
Just what would occur if one used an AMD card for content creation?
>>
>>513035
It'd be slow as molasses compared to cuda accelerated nvidia cards
>>
im running a Asus ROG G751JY with an asus 144Hz 24" monitor through Display port. and im in VFX program so im modeling, painting, rigging, animating, comping, lighting, you name it and im doing it all on this machine. shes a beats! and i think i paid $2600 CAD about a year ago
>>
The inefficiency you gain by using a laptop as your workstation kills any minor efficiency you gain by being able to model on lunch, or on the train.

The only thing I can tell you is that you should take those weird in-between hours, buy a sketchbook, and start getting better at drawing on paper.
>>
>>513410
>projecting
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.