[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Substance designer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (10KB, 270x180px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 270x180px
So I've mainly been using PBR to texture my models but I saw this one guy who was probably a 6/10 texturer but he started using substance designer and his work went to a 9/10 and now I'm considering buying it but it's a heavy price of $149 and I've been debating for it for a while now.

I was just wondering if anyone has used substance designer and thought it was worth the money?
>>
>>511352
PBR is a series of shader techniques, not a texturing technique.
>>
>>511353
What a useless, pedantic post.

>>511352
Pirate it and find out if you like it.
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 1159x1068px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 1159x1068px
>>511353
I use PBR techniques to texture in ue4. I hardly ever use albedos/diffuse textures now
>>
>>511354
I'm selling my models so I want everything to be legit as possible
>>
>>511355
>I hardly ever use albedos/diffuse textures now
The albedo texture is central to PBR shading. You don't know what you're doing, do ya?
>>
>>511357
Ever herd of an ID map?
>>
>>511358
>answering a question with a question
>>
>>511359
Ah you don't okay, never mind
>>
$149 is nothing compared to other software packages
>>
>>511362
Do you mean texturing software? Or just general modelling packages? The only other one I've herd of is quixel and that's like $80-$90?
>>
Smile and be localpicasso imo
>>
Hobbyist here and holy shit Substance Designer / Painter is absolutely great. It's UI is amazing and has a lot of great features to help speed up your workflow and it's incredibly easy to edit something that you did earlier which you didn't recommend.

Seriously, try the trial and see for yourself. It's really easy to get started with Substance.
>>
File: ss.2016-01-31.jpg (300KB, 1008x605px) Image search: [Google]
ss.2016-01-31.jpg
300KB, 1008x605px
>>511364

try $549
>>
>>511383
That's corporate version, dum dum.
>>
>>511352
It's a very fun program to use, but If you don't plan to make some super complex procedural substances, get painter instead, it will turn your dull, boring assets into pure gold.
>>
>>511383
Yeah I'm not talking about the corporation version, plus I might be wrong but didn't the quixel suite 2 just come out?
>>
>>511385
I'm use to UE4's material editor so I'm not that bothered by the complexity also I don't know about substance painter I'm a bit cautious because a couple of my friends who used them made their models look like crap (but to be fair they're not the best) I feel like you have to be really good to make substance painter look good?
>>
>>511387
Not really, both of them are really easy to learn. I just like painter more because it gives you more freedom. For example if I didn't like what the procedural generator did in one part of the model I can just paint it over. Also it works with layers so if you're used to photoshop it's gonna be even faster to learn it.
I do love nodes, but substance painter is such a fun program to use.
>>
>>511385
question because of confusion.

isnt substance designer just for creating materials such as stone/gold/metal/rust ect
and painter is for painting your models with the materials you created in designer?
>>
>>511356
Pirate it
Then if you like it
Delete it and buy the official version.
>>
File: I_never_built_for_this.jpg (44KB, 604x411px) Image search: [Google]
I_never_built_for_this.jpg
44KB, 604x411px
>>511383
>missed out on the discount
>could have gotten quixel 2 for $99
Damn.
>>
>>511512
i got it for 50
>>
File: 2016-02-04_10-28-17.jpg (32KB, 949x643px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-04_10-28-17.jpg
32KB, 949x643px
Quixel has an old version of DDO on their website, barely used it but thought I would put it out there. This one is completely free.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.