[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cloth in animation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: clothes.jpg (125KB, 600x420px) Image search: [Google]
clothes.jpg
125KB, 600x420px
hey /3/
anyone got some experience with this?
I have to make an animation of a character wearing mostly soft material.

The way I see it the main options are
1. sculpting the folds manually - would look shitty because there is no movement
2. using simulations - but those are glitchy and by far not as detailed

Are there any other options like ..
manually animating/shaping the folds for frames like you would facial expressions
or combining sculpt and simulation

Maybe I'm missing something or you got a creative fix for this. thanks
>>
File: maxPayneJacket.gif.gif (3MB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
maxPayneJacket.gif.gif
3MB, 450x600px
>>510384
You can do something like this where you animate between different normal maps depending on the bending. Not totally realistic of course but results are predictable and the calculations involved are very light weight.

For a highpoly offline rendering you could use actual displacement maps on subdivided geo instead of normalmaps.
>>
>>510385
yeah I was thinking of that. It's just a ton of work if you have to make several versions of your entire model and textures
>>
why not simulations? Create clusters and move them to force the cloth to change where the folds are as it moves.
>>
>>510387
yess that sounds good. going to be a lot of calculating for the level of subdivisions, though
>>
>>510385
thats both sexy and smart actually
>>
>>510389
They do the same thing with facial animation to create wrinkles. I think that's how some of the animation on BF4 was made.
>>
use marvelous designer. export different models at different points in the animation and extract their normals/displacements. then do what the other anon said.
>>
>>511488
Wrinkle maps, bloodflow maps and skin deformation maps are the new tools when it comes to Facial Animations.

>>510384
Instead of baking normal maps to blend between you could also bake height maps and use tesselation/displacement.
>>
>>510384
blender conference topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9an_-fWTU
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.