[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys, whats a more idiot friendly engine to work on for someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Unreal-Engine-41[1].jpg (913KB, 5160x2931px) Image search: [Google]
Unreal-Engine-41[1].jpg
913KB, 5160x2931px
hey guys, whats a more idiot friendly engine to work on for someone who doesn't know anything about coding. unreal engine 4 or cryengine?

since my only 2 skills are modeling and animating i want to create an scifi zoo and fill it with all the creatures i modeled
and animated and have them just walk around.

i only tried cryengine once a while back and it took me 4 days and the help of like 7 people single animation into the game...

one thing i liked about cryengine tho was it had a really good prebuilt shading, lighting, water system and physics that didnt need tinkering with. does UE4 have that or no? (since my only goal for this project is to make it look good.
>>
>>509639
ue4 = blueprint.
blueprint is easy for beginners. but at least try to learn some code ...
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 408x259px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 408x259px
>>509639

>i only tried cryengine once a while back and it took me 4 days and the help of like 7 people single animation into the game...

Yeah, Cryengine's import and export system is pretty cancerous, but no where near as bad as Source.

Anyways, UE4 has better shading and lighting systems, and can look even better if you want to bake light maps and shit.
Compare the best CryEngine user: 18T220
to the best UE4 user:
Koolala
And CryEngine looks like shit in comparison, and that's even with an experienced user

Trust me when I say I used to be a CryEngine fanboy back in the day, but CryTek screwed it over, and the devs who developed CryEngine left to work at idTech, so now CryEngine will pretty much die.

That being said, just go with UE4, its much easier, shading is better, and if worst comes to worst and you have to code, there are plenty of UE4 scripting tutorials out there.
>>
>>509658
thx nigga, ill give it a try
>>
can someone give me the tl;dr version of wtf blue print is and how that different from regular coding such as c++ (offered by ue4)
>>
>>510172
tl;dr it's visual programming, instead of lines, you got nodes and bubbles.
>>
>>510180

Can it handle object-oriented programming, classes, etc or is it a BASIC-tier script ?
>>
>>510180
Thx. but 1 more question. when i export a model from 3ds max as FBX the materials and the textures all come in nicely but the scene is merged into 1 mesh so i cant movie things around. is there a way to dismantle it or something so each model can be its own model just in case i ever need to move something around. also the auto generated collision just puts a big blanket over it so i cant jump on things or go threw open areas.

(i personally don't like to build levels inside a engine, its more comfortable for me to build scenes in max and import it to the engine but this merging of all the parts is stopping me from doing it. it would also be nice if the engine could recognize my instanced models and not create 50 of each duplicated item in my contant browser)
>>
>>510186
>Thx. but 1 more question. when i export a model from 3ds max as FBX the materials and the textures all come in nicely but the scene is merged into 1 mesh so i cant movie things around. is there a way to dismantle it or something so each model can be its own model just in case i ever need to move something around.
Are you importing it as one whole scene, or just selected objects? If you want to move them separately, you should import them separately too.
>also the auto generated collision just puts a big blanket over it so i cant jump on things or go threw open areas.
In Unreal, double click the mesh to open its properties. Then on the right (by default) there should be a dropdown in the static mesh settings for collision complexity. Select "use complex as simple" and you should be good.
>>
>>510194
thx, also there is a option i found on the import menue that says import each object indevidually. the only bad thing is it dosnt respect instances. say if i have 20 rock peives it imorts them all as 20 rocks and not just 1 object
>>
Gojira, Mosura, Kingu Ghidorrah: Daikaiju Sokogeki
>>
jesus crist ue4 is so much straight forward than cryengine.
>>
not OP but i'm interested in trying to learn opengl to use vulkan. how hard would it be to work with it in comparison to ue4 if i'm not trying to make a fully complex game, but more of a 3rd person dungeon crawler? would it be retarded? is it easier if i come from opengl?
>>
anyone know how i can just make animation play on loop on a static object. like if i bring in a flag or a windmill (right now i just have a monster with 1 walk animation) i just want him to walk in place. every tutorial i look up just gives me a full guide on animating a pawn
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.