[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have no idea what I'm doing, so relax. Seriously, I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

I have no idea what I'm doing, so relax. Seriously, I know next to nothing in Maya (or any 3d program).

Give me something to model.

Ps. how do I select the actual pieces here, rather than the points?
>>
go watch a fucking basic tutorial about the UI and look through the hotkeys. don't expect us to tutor you when you could easily just use youtube to learn all of basics.

If you're not going to be resourceful than you'll never be worth a shit in Maya.
>>
>>508592
That's nice, but can you give me something simple to model?
>>
>>508594
a Maya textbook
>>
File: faceselect.png (253KB, 1680x1022px) Image search: [Google]
faceselect.png
253KB, 1680x1022px
>>508591
You need to select face selection mode.
>>
File: Untitled.png (203KB, 1918x1026px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
203KB, 1918x1026px
>>508597
interesting

>>508598
Ah, thanks. I was trying to pull up the ceneter of the polygon to go straight up without sloping.
I figured out a way to do it, which was to pull up the section with a slope then scale the top out.
But selecting faces and extruding makes it perfect.
>>
>>508599
Oh gosh I'm really not looking forward to maya 2016+

I'll just sit here with my 2015 version that isn't made for the colorblind.
>>
>>508600
I'm not too fond of the 2016 version, too. I've used Maya year(s) ago, and coming back to this felt awkward.

Did see some nice features in this, though. But unfortunately, I don't know how useful it ACTUALLY may be.
>>
File: reinvent the wheel.png (89KB, 1334x762px) Image search: [Google]
reinvent the wheel.png
89KB, 1334x762px
I have created this. Along the way, one thing kept messing up so i just left it and it kinda evolved with my progress.

Regardless, I'm very happy with what I've done.
>>
in the toolbar just above the viewport click the icon that is a ring that's half blue and half white boxes. That toggles MSAA. in the outliner select the perspective camera, in the attribute editor, change the near clip plane to 0.5 or 1. (default should be 0.1).
click display > grid [] > add 10 subdivisions.
scale your model down by half or more.
>>
File: 10.png (52KB, 998x451px) Image search: [Google]
10.png
52KB, 998x451px
>>508634
what did i just do that for
>>
File: maya textbook.png (45KB, 748x540px) Image search: [Google]
maya textbook.png
45KB, 748x540px
>>508597
here's your book
>>
>>508646
looks like it's never been opened
>>
File: static_filename_640_v2.jpg (29KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
static_filename_640_v2.jpg
29KB, 640x640px
>>508647
apparently it has been opened. you know, because it exists.

either way, i said it was your book. doesn't concern me whether you've opened it or not.
>>
>>508654
Do an open book goddammit
>>
Open book or sage your choice OP
>>
File: maya textbook open.png (68KB, 606x655px) Image search: [Google]
maya textbook open.png
68KB, 606x655px
>>508683
>>508695
You guys are killing me in all the right ways here.
>>
what else should i make
>>
An actual book, like actually try making a nice book it aint so fucking hard. Dont do this gay ass pixel stuff. Then learn how to unwrap and texture your fancy new book.
>>
>>508879
Pixel stuff? As in 1 color and sharp edges? I'll do my best.

Can I ask you to make a book, to see what you can do?
>>
File: Select The Face.png (35KB, 732x716px) Image search: [Google]
Select The Face.png
35KB, 732x716px
>>508591
Trust me, I'm just as new as you are, I've only played around with Maya for about 1.5 hrs, but YouTube tutorials can help so much.

Right click and hold, drag your curser to object mode, or face, if that's what you want. Then select the object.
>>
>>508953
Cool, someone helped me with that within a couple minutes.

What I do is hold space and drag to Mesh Tools then select Show Modeling Toolkit. There I have plenty of basic tools to work with.
>>
>>508953
Btw, you can just quickly drag in the direction of those buttons, you don't have to drag onto them precisely. As you press down right-click, just flick your mouse in one of those directions and release your click at the same time. Very fast once you get used to it.

You can also hold CTRL, SHIFT and CTRL+SHIFT while you do the right-click to get all kinds of other useful operations.
>>
>>508728
make an animation of the book opening.

use obs recorder if you need a recorder.
>>
File: book it.gif (1MB, 528x544px) Image search: [Google]
book it.gif
1MB, 528x544px
This took much longer than expected because of how weirdly it acts. Had to remake the book to have Maya act right for me.

obs recorder looks great, but i don't know how to turn the .flv into a gif or webm quickly. And the quality was still low.

Still getting to fancy book.
>>
>>509615
dont quit your day job just yet
>>
>>509619
ah, close one
>>
This thread is hilarious. Do a coffee cup.
>>
>>509622
It aint fuggin funny

ill try that tomorrow, though
>>
>>509615
that's not how books open. The backside should rotate as well
>>
>>509615
Good job, OP.
>>508953 here
You're definitely getting more hang on this than I have... because I've moved to Blender.
Although Maya is a very good programme, the student version I have of it doesn't let me do anything for commercial purpose.

RIP

Keep up the good work though. I still haven't got to animating anything yet, but nodes are cool too.
>>
>>508591
If you are trollibg around then continue with this thread, if you are serious, then head over to cgpeers and grab some tutorials for fuck sakes. This is by far the least efficient way to learn maya.
>>
>>508646
>>508647

I love this shit. 3D poetry.
>>
i recomend wathc some tutorial ...best series of making model from 0 so you know what the tools are and how to use them. then watch thousedns more :)
>>
>>509636
I dunno how to do that, and keep everything together. As you can probably see, I'm only animating one unattached piece at a time.

>>509646
The first few times I've tried either, all i got was to moving a shape across a screen really. And cutting things in half, adding divisions.
Blender feels much harder for me.

>>509683
I feel like I've learned a good bit compared to what ive known before, but will do.
Also gonna do this >>509710

I didn't even quite ask people to help me model things in the OP, I just wanted to try and model stuff.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.