[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I go about making/animating this green object? would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: how2green.png (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
how2green.png
53KB, 500x500px
How would I go about making/animating this green object?

would it be better to use latices or is there a way to automatically animate this?

I just need it to stretch and contract in the center. I don't need to mess with the materials.
>>
>>508237

Dynamics can give you the results quickly and easily.
Easy in something like Cinema4D can't speak for other applications.
>>
Put center of the sticky thing on the leftmost block, parent to leftmost block, scale sticky thing horizontally based on how far the rightmost block is from its original position.
>>
>>508244
setting up a dynamic system for this simple task would be like getting out a caterpillar to dig a 1 foot hole.

man the fuck up op. I've been in multiple classes about 5 years ago with someone who was animation director on a movie that won multiple oscars and he would never let anyone animate with physics on anything
>>
>>508245
Furthering on this, if the motion isn't constrained to only two axis, you'll need to use a curve where the control points get proportionally hooked so the goo can curve.
>>
File: output_file.webm (94KB, 982x480px) Image search: [Google]
output_file.webm
94KB, 982x480px
>>508248
>>508244
center of the goo does not decrease in size

>>508244
What are dynamics? I'm using blender if that helps.
>>
>>508249
Use a driver. Let the stretch scaling in x drive the contract scaling in y.
>>
>>508254
then the entire plane would scale on the y axis. I only want the center to shrink
>>
>>508257
Shape Key driver then?
>>
>>508257
Vertex groups and/or weight painting could work too with some deform modifier that uses them. Their parameters could be driven as well.
>>
File: output_file.webm (113KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
output_file.webm
113KB, 853x480px
OP here. I figured it out.

>>508258
shape keys alone arent the answer.

eg: animation with two three shape keys
>>
File: output_file.webm (84KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
output_file.webm
84KB, 480x480px
>>508267
here's the semi-final with shape keys and softbody physics and a bit of texturing because I felt like it.

My question now is: how can I make the center transparent based on how it's stretched?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (124KB, 1352x761px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
124KB, 1352x761px
>>508267
nigga I told over 9000 ways to do it
>>
>>508268
>My question now is: how can I make the center transparent based on how it's stretched?
Clearly you learned nothing. Same idea: Let the scale/position/whatever drive the factor of a mix shader/alpha transparency/mask/whatever.
>>
>>508272
I don't know of any way to control transparency in ONE location. if I used transparency it would make the entire object transparent, not just the center.
>>
>>508272
>not thinking before you type
>>
>>508237
bump
>>
>>508323
unwrap the object with a simple planar projection and apply a ramp texture that goes from white to black and back to white. You can even make the gradient in your rendering software of choice if you don't want to use a texture.
>>
>>508323
You can apply materials to individual faces of a mesh.

But I still see no reason to do this since if you setup your cycles material properly to match whichever substance your going for, then stretching it out should affect its optics respectively. Unless you're trying to fake it.

>>508361
that gradient would be the mask whose presence needs to be driven (could even use frame # to drive it). Otherwise it will be present throughout the animation.

>>508330
no u
>>
>>508364
>that gradient would be the mask whose presence needs to be driven (could even use frame # to drive it). Otherwise it will be present throughout the animation.
Just blend that with a value that goes between 0 and 1 throughout the animation. (screen mode should work)
>>
File: Capture.jpg (133KB, 1352x761px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
133KB, 1352x761px
>>508367
that would also work

>>508364
>You can apply materials to individual faces of a mesh.
this would be the easiest way but less realistic
>>
File: goo.gif (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
goo.gif
2MB, 960x540px
Sorry for the quality, but I couldn't be bothered to use more samples right now and I can't make webms for shit.
This is just one shape key and the method I described here >>508361 and here >>508367 for the transparency.
No vertex groups, drivers or anything of the sort. And the shape key affects the simpler version of the mesh, which is later subdivided.
>>
>>508379
Nice. And like I mentioned here >>508364 with a proper material setup, you won't even need the gradient mask, since thinner meshes are more translucent than thicker meshes. It should just work.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (132KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
132KB, 1366x768px
>>508383
>>508379
>setup your cycles material properly

Layer weight seems to work ok as a factor.

Could also use a Refraction Shader, or Volume Absorption/Scatter shaders too.
>>
>>508386
Refraction + volume is the way to go. And mix a glossy with the refraction based on fresnel to get reflections.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (116KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
116KB, 1366x768px
>>508388
Yeah. Volume alone looks good already.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.