[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lets have a thread for questions relating to things in reality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: roman-column-25842892.jpg (84KB, 1300x1390px) Image search: [Google]
roman-column-25842892.jpg
84KB, 1300x1390px
Lets have a thread for questions relating to things in reality we want to model but don't know the name of. Take my example:

I want to model pic related, but I'm having trouble with the swirly part. I looked up pillar swirl and column swirl and nothing relating to what I wanted popped up, so I would like to know if any of the builders of /3/ could answer my question: whats the swirl of the pillar head called and is there a good tutorial on making a decorative pillar head?
>>
m8 jst use teh bend modifier i swear its the easiest thing u cheeky cunt
>>
Anon just wait, I'll blow your fucking mind
>>
>>507704
[scared]
>>
File: column.png (256KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
column.png
256KB, 1920x1080px
Here's what I got at the moment. I bullshitted the swirl. It could be a lot better.

>>507705
Also, I just realized my GET.
>>
>>507705

If whatever program you're using supports edge extruding, just pull along the profile until you get your shape on the outside.
>>
File: woaahhhh.jpg (433KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
woaahhhh.jpg
433KB, 1920x1080px
>>507707

like this? how would you fill, or make is whole like in pic?
>>
>>507710

I would just put a cylinder in, take it to Zbrush, dynamesh and say fuck it.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-02+at+10.57.56).jpg (319KB, 1688x1030px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-02+at+10.57.56).jpg
319KB, 1688x1030px
>>507699
Can't you just make a fucking spiral proportionate to your picture, add a cylinder with the same res and connect them?
>>
you went hardsurface this?
are you out of your fucking mind?
>>
File: pillar.png (860KB, 3403x1018px) Image search: [Google]
pillar.png
860KB, 3403x1018px
>>507699
>>
its called an ionian pillar.

>thanks art history classes
>>
>>507733
i meant *ionic pillar
>>
File: moonlight.jpg (6KB, 236x354px) Image search: [Google]
moonlight.jpg
6KB, 236x354px
not exactly a model but how would /3/ go about moonlight/night time, from an inside perspective. I want nice silvery white light and the nice specular glow from the objects inside, but I'm having issues. any tips?

(maya 2015 / mental ray)
>>
>>507739
ambient lighting or world lighting on something extremely low, like 0.01 just to allow all items inside the dark have some outline to them and also to prevent pitch blackness (which doesn't really occur in reality).
>>
>>507699
>>507734

and more specifically the top of the pillar is called an 'ionic capital', the scroll features themselves are called 'volutes'
>>
>>507733
>>507734
>>507749
I came here to post this, but you have it covered.
I seriously cant believe how long the thread went without someone mentioning it.
I mean, I guess it wasn't necessary but it's easier if you know what it is. Art history is a fun class.
>>
>>507739
Increase your Final Gathering's "Secondary Diffuse Bounces" so that the light in your scene does more than 1 bounce. Also, if you aren't already, place an area light over the outside window, facing in, and plug a "mia_portal_light" into its mentalray>custm_shaders>light_shader section in the attribute editor. This will help converge light from outside, through the window better. You can plug your current environment map into the Environment Lookup on it for better effect.

Enabling bloom can help too.
>>
File: column1.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
column1.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>507728
Thanks for posting this image, I was looking for something exactly like this.

>>507733
>>507734
>>507749
>>507755
And thanks to all of you for actually answering my main question. I'm taking art history next semester.
>>
>>507755
It just sounds you're desperate to apply your useless art history knowledge in some way. The name of this structure is completely irrelevant to how one would go about modelling it in 3D.
>>
>>507822
Not entirely true, if you wanted to look up reference for something, it's helpful to know the name of that thing so you don't need to say, come to 4chan to ask...
>>
>>507822
OP literally asked what its called you fucking cocknipple
>>
I'm trying to model, but I find myself stopped to often because I get stuck but I don't exactly understand what i'm getting stuck at. Is there a Skype chat?
>>
>>507699
That is called a 'volute'
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.