[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm getting comfortable with normal-map baking in Maya.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: Normalmaps.png (70KB, 796x613px) Image search: [Google]
Normalmaps.png
70KB, 796x613px
I'm getting comfortable with normal-map baking in Maya. I've made a high-poly cube (background) and it's low-poly, normal-mapped equivalent.

There are three problems with the map: distortion (the obvious lines that appear on the map) and blurriness, both of which I know how to fix, but one thing I don't quite know what to do with is the edges of the model that appear to be either extremely highlighted or shadowed depending on the lighting. The effect bleeds over a little bit too far for my liking; the high-poly cube has this effect, but it is not as prominent as it is on the low-poly model.

Do you guys know how I can reduce this without sharpening the edge?
>>
1. Make sure your "Fill Seams" value is high enough for your given texture resolution.

2. If you have any hard edges on your surface normals, you need to put a UV split there, or else you'll get that edge-shading issue.

These are general rules for any 3D package.

Watch this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXTyOOnBZQ
>>
>>506420
They were already split, but the "Fill Seams" value fixed it.
>>
Open the map in paint and touch up using (128,128,255)
>>
>>506462
Learn to read last comments on threads before replying... It was already answered with the proper solution.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.