[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Number crunching PC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: Hex 1000005.jpg (920KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Hex 1000005.jpg
920KB, 1080x720px
So I'm building a new PC purely for rendering 3D fractal animations. It's been about 4 years since I've built a new PC. Looking at the i7 6700k but I'm not sure what kind of cpu cooling to use and how much/type of RAM. Help me Obi wan /3/. Your my only hope.
Any advice is welcome.
>>
File: Cube sphere2.jpg (704KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cube sphere2.jpg
704KB, 1080x720px
>>
File: guy_fawkes2.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
guy_fawkes2.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
you definately want to go water cooled I used the corsair h110. whats you budget if its in the 2-3k area i would go xeon processors instead. I do animation and art with images up to 80 megapixels and i run 32 gigs ram with 3 gtx 780 cards in SLI for some progs the gpu is a far more powerful tool the the cpu and for some progs the number of cores is king. it really depends on the way the program your using works.
>>
>>506150
Good to know. I'll go for liquid cooled then.

The software i use can utilise all available cores. GPU's aren't important, it's all CPU based.
So you think the Xeons will do a better job than an i7?
>>
File: candy ball.jpg (531KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
candy ball.jpg
531KB, 1080x720px
>>
yeah i would get an asus Z9PE-D8 WS with 2 xeon e5-2620s or above thats 12 physical cores or 24 in hyperthreading its a beast. i built a system for an architect using that with 64 gigs ram and it is insane how fast it renders in cinebench which is all cpu based rendering
>>
>>506153

It's what Xeons are basically built for, heavy loads and computations that will last for years running at 100%
>>
File: FOD.jpg (2MB, 2400x2400px) Image search: [Google]
FOD.jpg
2MB, 2400x2400px
>>506161
OK nice. Might be in the price range. Thanks anon(s)

Due to the nature of fractal calculations my old 2.7ghz i7 is taking 1 min 30 sec per frame at 1080 x 720. That's 4 hours render time for 5 seconds of video at 720p for this particular animation.

Render times vary depending on how deep into the fractal you go and the complexity of the fractal layers.

Would be nice to have access to a supercomputer for a few hours a week.
>>
check out this render 15280x4320 pixels 30 million polys in the scene plus 10,000 instances of the asteroid at all different scales, rotations and stretches took about 16 hours for one frame and I use an amd 8350 with 32 gigs rendering on only 4 threads so i could still use the machine http://q5grafx.deviantart.com/art/No-Escape-568682454
>>
>>506168
Awesome, love it. Bookmarking you on deviant art.
>>
it started off as a scene where i was going to remake the millenium falcon asteroid field scene from empire strikes back and ended up seeing if i could make something so large i could make it wallpaper for a room and when i priced the wallpaper printing to make it for my grandsons room it would be about $2920 and stretch 32'x8'
>>
the test render of the video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eP9Rp-0eFs its only 10 seconds long but still looks cool for a test
>>
File: Candy_Moon Bubbles5.jpg (3MB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Candy_Moon Bubbles5.jpg
3MB, 2000x1250px
>>506168
Im just getting into the 3D stuff.
Been working with 2d fractals for a few years. I have some images that are about 400+mb 16000x9000 that took more than 2 days for one frame. We'll laugh at that in 10 years.
>>
you want to see a long render time it was my ak47 video only about 1800 frames took about a month to render 300 parts 1 million polys full assembly of my ak47 at that time i have upgraded both the real gun and the model since then when the assembly is complete then i made the gun turn transparent to show the mechanisms inside as its firing :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV2a8mbrf8I
>>
File: Candy_Moon Bubbles11 small.jpg (325KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Candy_Moon Bubbles11 small.jpg
325KB, 600x600px
>>506171
That' would be the best kids bedroom ever.

Im looking at getting prints done now. Glass looks like a viable option for the stuff i want printed. Also looking at polyurethane too, but it will need framing.
>>
i stated doing 3d in 1991 on a 486 dx2 66 mhz machine with 4 megs ram running lightwave 3d when we did animations in those days we had to render at 320x240 and it still took forever. so i used to model and give my models to others to skin and animate like spacebattles.com i had always been more into the modeling side more than the animating side. did some freelance work for Babylon5 and deep space 9 way back in the days.
>>
glass is a totally sick media due to the way you can make the light effect the images printed on it in layers and backlit. also etching in addition to printing adds alot.
>>
File: Candy.png (3MB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Candy.png
3MB, 2048x1350px
>>506175
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV2a8mbrf8I

That's really cool!
>>
can your 3d fractals be 3d printed? that could be pretty sick media too
>>
well i guess anything can be 3d printed if it can be converted to an .stl file
>>
that last one is that using z=z-1?
>>
File: Candy2 render 2 zoom 00001.jpg (434KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Candy2 render 2 zoom 00001.jpg
434KB, 640x480px
>>506181
Not at the moment. The programs only outputs a 2d image. Im sure someone will come up with a way to output to a 3D printer file sometime soon.

Although it can be rendered in stereo and compiled to a 3D video file, but still just left and right 2d images for now.
>>
>>506183
Yeah just a standard mandelbrot zoomed in and coloured with my "candy" colour map
>>
so z=z^2+c
>>
i wonder if the math plugin in lightwave modeller could make a 3d fractal. ive never tried it before
>>
>>506188
Im using Ultra Fractal for the 2d stuff and Mandelbulb 3d for the 3d stuff.

Mandelbulb is free and theres tons of parameter sets around to get you started http://mandelbulb.com/2014/mandelbulb-3d-mb3d-fractal-rendering-software/
>>
it appears my 3d program cant make a 3d object out of the equation but i can make a motion from it so if i were to make a ball i could then cause a motion blur to infinity on the mandlebrot curve
>>
time for me to crash. have a good one and you can contact me through deviantart or youtube. have a good one anon
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.