[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>3DS Max/Maya costs $4000 >per YEAR How does Autodesk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 1448664051419.jpg (85KB, 500x498px) Image search: [Google]
1448664051419.jpg
85KB, 500x498px
>3DS Max/Maya costs $4000
>per YEAR

How does Autodesk expect independent artists and hobbyists to even afford this shit?
>>
>>503631
Where exactly did you get that price from?
It's $1,249 a year for full Maya right now. It's $185 a month if you only pay monthly though.

Maya LT is even cheaper and has everything you need if you're just making content for games. It's $30 a month or $240 a year ($204 right now on sale)
>>
>>503631
Says 1600 euro for a yearly subscription. The 4000 figure you drop is for the perpetual licenses they're about to discontinue.

Still though the market is plenty ripe for a 'purchase once' alternative to Autodesks bullshit schemes.
Them acquiring maya and softimage was the cancer of our time, where's anti monopoly legislation when you need it?

Rhetorical question of course, it's in neverland riding Peter Pan's fictional schlong while pretending like it actually exists.
>>
>>503633
Anti-monopoly only comes in when there is almost no competitors in the marketplace. 3D has dozens of competitors for DCC apps, so you can buy up one of them without issue and not have it be anti-competitive.

Tbh, if you're buying a perpetual license, you're kind of stupid, because the rate at which 3D tools are advancing means your workflows are going to become outdated within 2 or so years usually. It's much better to be paying a much cheaper subscription each year to keep your tools up to date, than to pay $4000 for a perpetual license every 2-3 years just to have the newest features.
>>
>>503636
so you are paying for updates?
>>
I got it for free :*}
>>
Do these software leave watermarks on OBJ.?

Could I just import then export from blender?
>>
>>503631
pirate argh!!!!
>>
>>503657
No, there's no watermark in an OBJ exported out of Maya.
>>
Hobbyists, they don't, and if you think they do you're an idiot. Indie's, they don't, that's why Maya LT exists.
>>
Wew, thats just retarded, not even Photoshop + Illustrator + Indesign costs that much, even if its only >>503632 as said.

Those big software companys like Adobe and Autodesk are going to go down if they continue getting more and more cheeky with their pricing and shitty monthly subscriptions, because not even big studios will pay for that shit. I know of plenty graphic agencies that really hate Adobe CC and that would change software if there was an alternative. Even if there was a free alternative just as good, those people in the companies just like to stay with the same shit because everyone else does, just as graphic designers still swear on overpriced underperforming Apple computers because one century ago they had some advantages for media.

If I am going to open up my firm I will just put Blender on every computer.
>>
>>503682
You're comparing apples to benches. Photoshop is incredibly limited in scope compared to Maya. It is a much simpler piece of software with a much smaller dev team. Those 3 programs are for similar purposes and their development teams overlap. They're for 2D artwork creation.

Maya deals with animation, 3D modeling, 3D rendering, particle simulation, hair simulation, texture baking, sculpting, procedural generation of 2D, 3D and general functionality, various film related VFX, and much more. It is a software package that spans a very large amount of industries and the development team has to do a lot to support and cater to those industries. The price tag is more than acceptable for professional grade software like that.
>>
wanna make money?
Spend money.
\(*^▽^*)/\(*^▽^*)/
\(*^▽^*)/\(*^▽^*)/
\(*^▽^*)/\(*^▽^*)/
>>
>>503692
that said ALL of adobe cs6 is a one time payment of $3700 or so (depending where you buy from) and that isn't yearly. you get to keep it. forever.
>>
They don't. They just expect people to pirate it and expect big ass enterprise companies with huge budgets to buy it. Autodesk isn't run by retarded people, why do you think the X-Force crack for all Autodesk software has used the same serial number for like the last 10 years.
>>
>>503692
Lol, it's got nothing to do with the actual capability of the software bruh. It's market forces at work, what percentage of the general populace do you think wanna edit photos vs do anything with a 3d app ever. Don't be a sheeple.
>>
>>504382
> it's got nothing to do with the actual capability of the software bruh
Spoken like someone who has never worked at a studio in their life.
>>
>>504386
>ad hominem
>>
>>504387
Except it's not. Merely stating a fact. Because if you had, you would know of the ways Maya is used that would be unrealistic for Blender as an example. All you can do is reply "ad hominem" since you don't have the experience to prove otherwise.
>>
>>504386
>>504390
Are you retarded? I'm replying to someone who was comparing Autodesk shit to Photoshop. Why are you talking about Blender. Nobody uses Blender.
>>
>>504396
>>504382
Bruh, if it had nothing to do with the capabilities of the software and the development time involved, then ALL SOFTWARE WOULD COST THE SAME. So the only one fucking retarded here is you.
>>
>>504398
Or maybe it would cost roughly the amount of money that makes the company selling it the greatest amount of money.
>>
>>504398
lel somebody failed econ 101
>>
File: 1283715097937.jpg (15KB, 244x225px) Image search: [Google]
1283715097937.jpg
15KB, 244x225px
>paying a subscription for software
>>
File: my_Guns2.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
my_Guns2.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Look for the free student link on the autodesk site. make up a school name and say you are a student teacher or a mentor and all their software is free and you get a 3 year license.
>>
>>503631
Held a presentation for V-Ray alongside with some cool dudes from Germany who showed off Maya and Max.

Guy's been using Max for 20 years and thinks Autodesk's changes are retarded. Said in polite terms of course.
>>
>>506148
gay and lame and shit
>>
really brave hiding behind that anon there. lets see what youve made. till i see that youre just a troll in your mamas basement
>>
>>506237
stop being autistic. There is nothing cool or impressive about gun models.
It's good practise but don't feel like you're hot shit because some poorly rendered guns bro.
>>
>>506343
If you really wanna shut up that boasting namefag why don't you go ahead put your art where your mouth is anon?

>There is nothing cool or impressive about gun models.

Look, most guys are facinated by weapons on some level. Take me, I'm totally anti-gun in my views, yet I'm still in love with firearms on a viceral level.
If you have a deep seated distate for armaments yourself even in fiction, that's cool, but you gotta realize you are the minority in this.
>>
File: 10_Softimage.jpg (120KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
10_Softimage.jpg
120KB, 400x300px
http://www.intertech.com/Blog/13-expensive-software-products/
>>
>>506399
Lmao, those prices are so incorrect and out dated It makes it seem like a satire article. I can't believe this shit was written in 2014?

>Unreal Engine - $750,000

It's fucking free now, otherwise it's profit share.

>Cry Engine 3 - $1.2m

Again, free.

>Softimage Face Robot - $95,000
That shit fucking comes with Softimage, which itself is basically free these days too.

Also, hilarious that they show a screenshot of Maya for FaceRobot, completely irrelevant.
>>
File: pushup.jpg (86KB, 600x621px) Image search: [Google]
pushup.jpg
86KB, 600x621px
>>503632
>if you only
>>
File: CWYWaGHXIAA8KXZ.jpg (85KB, 600x574px) Image search: [Google]
CWYWaGHXIAA8KXZ.jpg
85KB, 600x574px
>>503636
>much cheaper
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.